Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:21   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thinking of a quick drive to Goa and back next week. Hoping to stay in South Goa at The Leela, Cavelossim / Mobor.

I stay near KIAL so can take the Tumkur Road shortcut at Dobbspet via Doddaballapura Road.
Will you be so kind to provide the review of the Leela once you are back please? I was just looking for some good hotels by the beaches and the rates of the Leela were quite attractive.
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:25   #4892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Hi, I travelled on route option 1 in your post a week or so ago. It's a perfectly fine road to take with bad stretches limited to patches near railway crossings and some patches in the Tinai ghat diversion. The biggest pothole is right before Anmod checkpost at the end of the Tinai ghat diversion but I could cross without scraping in a sedan.
Other than that, it is really smooth tarmac all through. Go with Option1 (Blue highlighted road in your GMaps link)
How is the condition of the Anmod Ghat itself between Anmod Checkpost and Mollem Checkpost? Last time it was full of dust and under-construction with 0 recommendations to drive during night times. Is it any better now?
With so many diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli, it is a good option to take Anmod route (Option 1) than reaching to Yellapur from other routes and then via Ankola-Karwar to Goa.
I will be in Tiago NRG with 180mm GC or Ertiga(old) with 185mm GC hopefully sufficient to handle any bad roads.
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:36   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahul4 View Post
Thanks, what is the condition on the highway between Chitradurga and Dharwad bypass? The diversions along with way - are they ok or full of potholes difficult to drive?
Quite a few diversions from Chitradurga to Dharward and a couple of them are really bad with gravel and standing water - I scraped once in them. The rest are fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Does anyone know the road condition from Udupi to Goa post monsoons?
I don't know all the way from Udupi to Goa but I took the Goa - Honnavar road on return: Most of the way from Karwar-Honnavar is good 4 lane with well marked diversions where road work is going on. Most diversions are well tarred too. Very scenic route to take as well.
Karwar-Goa is typical 2 lane but well tarred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
How is the condition of the Anmod Ghat itself between Anmod Checkpost and Mollem Checkpost? Last time it was full of dust and under-construction with 0 recommendations to drive during night times. Is it any better now?
With so many diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli, it is a good option to take Anmod route (Option 1) than reaching to Yellapur from other routes and then via Ankola-Karwar to Goa.
Anmod to Mollem is a breeze - it's freshly laid concrete road now. Just watch out for the edges of the road where runoff work is not yet complete.

Regarding Yellapur route instead of Anmod: you won't avoid too many diversions since you need to go uptill Bankapur anyway. But I heard Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur is not in a great shape either. If you are going North Goa, will definitely recommend Anmod route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Will you be so kind to provide the review of the Leela once you are back please? I was just looking for some good hotels by the beaches and the rates of the Leela were quite attractive.
I had stayed in Leela a couple of years ago and stayed at Taj Exotica at Benaulim this time. Leela is the better property with water channels inside, brilliant food menu, larger restaurant area and the beach has a river joining it making a nice delta. Taj on the other hand has much better room options (more variety to pick from). Can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 22nd October 2020 at 17:45.
niranjanrvce is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 18:12   #4894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anmod to Mollem is a breeze - it's freshly laid concrete road now. Just watch out for the edges of the road where runoff work is not yet complete.

Regarding Yellapur route instead of Anmod: you won't avoid too many diversions since you need to go uptill Bankapur anyway. But I heard Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur is not in a great shape either. If you are going North Goa, will definitely recommend Anmod route.
Anmod route is the shortest route for my native in Goa. Entering via Karwar side needs a much longer drive within Goa itself. Considering the diversions I will not save much by taking Bankapur vs. Anmod. Whatever that will be saved will be consumed by the distance to be travelled on Bankapur route. I will stick to Anmod. Thanks for the data.
Old 24th October 2020, 20:08   #4895
BHPian

I just reached goa few hours ago. I planned my route based on the suggestions above.
I took the diversion 4kms before Dharwad and I was following the map to Londa through Alnawar. Final destination was somewhere close to Morjim. The roads were great 95% of the stretch except for few diversions on highways and few spots around the railway crossing. There were few deadly crates near the border.
You gotta be very careful if you are driving a sedan (which was my case) on that 5% of the stretch!
My City's bottom scraped couple of times which could have been avoided if I was a bit more cautious.
At one spot the Karnataka cops stopped me to check for my documents.
All in all 650kms in 13 hours with my wife and a cat!
Thmh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 22:26   #4896

Hello Team,

I drove from Bangalore to Arpora, Goa for a short vacation on Oct 16th and returned on Oct 2st. I took the Chorla Ghat route for both onward and return drive. Goa section of the Ghat is pretty bad for about 15 kms starting from Wilderness Resort to Morlem. At some stretches here the speed is less than 10 KMPH. After Morlem the roads are pretty good. I have been using the Chorla Ghat route for the last 5 years, this is the first time I encountered such a bad stretch.

The highway from Chitradurga to Hubli has lot of deviations due to the construction of flyovers.

I stayed in Arpora and there was hardly any crowd. Most of the eateries from Calangute to Arpora was closed.

The beaches were neat and clean. There was only 2 shacks in Mandrem and Arambol beach. Keri beach had 1 shack. There was some crowd in Mandrem beach post 4:00 PM. Food and drinks in Mandrem beach shack was good and cheaper compared to shacks in Baga beach. All the shacks in Baga beach was literally empty.

Timings:
Bangalore to Goa: 06:00 AM – 4:30 PM, with 3 stops of 30 mins each
Goa to Bangalore: 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM, with 2 stops.

Overall the journey was pleasant and enjoyed the vacation. The climate was very pleasant during the entire trip.

Cheers.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th October 2020 at 23:30. Reason: Text format tags removed.
saiaarjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 07:46   #4897
BHPian

Reached Goa yesterday 10/24, through Dharwad-bypass - Alnawar - Ramnagar - Tinai Ghat fork - Anmod Checkpost(via Akheti) - Mollem route.

- Apart from the few diversions left post Chitradurga, road was good.
- Need to be little careful near the railway crossings as mentioned by other members.
- The diversion via the Akheti section is mandatory as authorities blocked the road towards Anmod due to very bad condition. Locals mentioned that few vehicles got stuck badly.
- The Akheti diversion road is good but its single lane the width of an SUV, so be very careful finding enough place to let other vehicle pass. I encountered a big truck on that road, luckily got a corner to squeeze and get out.

Last edited by diogo : 25th October 2020 at 07:47.
diogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:48   #4898
BHPian

Am traveling to Goa with wife and kid on Monday night and will be staying at Candolim. Planning to leave by 1AM. Please suggest the best route. I’ll be driving XUV.
Old 26th October 2020, 10:59   #4899
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Goa and back in the past week for a short break. Returned yesterday night.

We were 4 adults and my 3 year old son. Since he sleeps through the night in his car seat, I decided to drive through the night.
I had booked in a resort in South Goa.

I took the Bangalore-Hiriyur-Shimoga-Honnavar-South Goa route and came back the same way.
I was in two minds even until Sira while traveling, but the heavy truck traffic and the impending deviations and speedbreakers post Chitradurga until Hubli made me to take the Shimoga route.
This is about 40Kms longer than the Hubli-Anmod route and about 30Kms longer than the Bankapur-Ankola route, but it is peaceful with little traffic and excellent roads throughout. You will save on tolls on this route, but will enjoy a much peaceful drive as there are not much surprises.
I left my place at 9:10PM and reached the resort at 9:15AM with about 30mins break. Drove sedately as my son was asleep and kept speeds between 80-90KMPH for most of the drive

On road conditions:
  • Between Bangalore-Hiriyur, 182KMs: the roads are excellent
  • Hiriyur-Tarikere, 92Kms: Roads are two lane and good to excellent. There is one deviation and few speedbreakers. Couple of kms of gravel road while entering Hosadurga. Nothing that can't be managed. Can keep good pace and avg speed here
  • Tarikere-Shimoga-Honnavar, 212Kms. Post Tarikere town, the roads are excellent and a driver's delight. Enjoyed driving on these roads even at night. The traffic was very very sparse post Sagara. Post Jog, encountered Fog but nothing alarming. Roads in the ghats are in pristine condition except for 1km where one lane of the road is done while little work is going on another lane. This is post entrance to Gerosoppa Dam/powerplant.
  • Honnavara-South Goa, 165Kms. Roads are good for most parts except some uneven sections while entering deviations due to ongoing road works. Some section are Four lane roads. Post entering Goa, roads are in good condition. Couple of tolls in this section which I believe is daylight robbery as the work is not yet completed.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:02   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore South Goa(Varca) last week in bike. Onward journey was Bangalore-Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Varca. Return was Varca-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Kalaghatgi-Tadas-join NH near Agadi Thota-Bangalore.
I would vote for the Tadas road for anybody irrespective of the vehicle. It is little more distance but faster then the other one. It's only 21 kms of rural road and max time taken to cover is 30 mins.
Even my pillion felt the Tadas route was less stressful too.
Old 26th October 2020, 23:19   #4901

Friends, here is an update on my trip to Goa 16-19 October 2020. Stayed at Royal Karma Haathi Mahal, Cavelossim. I drove my Hyundai Santafe 2WD AT. The car itself was a breeze with 197 BHP and 420 Nm of Torque on call. We were four of us, wife and kids with me. I ensured all of us were wearing seat belts throughout the journey.

Onward route
Bangalore – Tumkur – Chitradurga – Haveri – Hubli bypass – Dharwad bypass – Londa – Tinai Ghat – Anmod Ghat – Mollem - Cavelossim

This route is a bunch of extremes to say the least. You can literally fly from Bangalore to Chitradurga. The stretch from Chitradurga to Haveri has many deviations so speed is limited. Took the Dharwad bypass onto Goa Road via Tinai Ghat & Anmod Ghat. The last stretch is in terrible condition to say the least. Please AVOID this last stretch for now.

The stretch from Dharwad by pass to Cavelossim is 158 km. The first 60 odd kms was ok with occasional stretches of torn roads, drivable at 40 - 60 kmph speeds. The stretch from just before Anmod check post till the end of the ghat section was a real disaster. Mostly beautiful concretized roads strewn with unfinished non-existent stretches. Some stretches where works are on, each for a length of about 100-200 mtrs, were absolutely slushy, deep hidden trenches, due to the recent rains. Few trucks moving on this route had worsened the hidden potholes. I survived because of the SUV and high GC but I bet most sedans would end up getting stuck or badly bottom scraped. In fact, one spot was so slushy and deep, that even my Santafe got bottom scraped. I badly missed a 4WD for once. A definite no-no for this route at least for the coming few months. The way it seems, these repairs will take at least many months to get done. So please AVOID this stretch for now.

Journey summary:
Bangalore dep from Banashankari – 7.30 am
Breakfast break at Kamat Upachar Sira – arr 9.10 am; dep 9.40 am (did some good speeds to reach)
Lunch break at Dine Park restaurant Dharwad – arr 1 pm; dep 1.45 pm
Cavelossim – arr 5 pm
Total Journey time – 9.5 hrs
Total drive time – 8 hrs 15 min
Breaks – 2 nos, total 1 hr 15 min

Kamat upachar Sira is a good place for south Indian breakfast, tried and tested by our team mates. Dine park however was a discovery for me. A pretty decent place, hygenic and good north Indian food. A small deviation of 200 mtrs from the Goa road detour is required to reach here, but worth it.

In Goa
It was so unlike the Goa I have seen. Not a single foreigner in sight throughout my 4 day stay! The Cavelossim beach was almost like a private beach for us! Absolutely beautiful white sands with no people around, was pleasurable indeed. Even the busy Calangute beach had very sparse crowd. All roads of Goa were quite free and I could not see a single traffic jam like my earlier visits pre-covid times. The new Mandovi suspension bridge is an engineering beauty. With suspensions in the middle and two twin-lane carriage ways on either side is really well done. The earlier old bridge was always a traffic nightmare. Lot of construction works happening in central Goa area with roads and flyovers being built. So, watch out for the deviations.

Since we had done all the standard sight-seeing during our earlier visits, we thought of having a relaxed schedule and discover couple of new places. We drove over to Cabo de Rama fort in south Goa, 35 min further down south from Cavelossim. This place was a real find. Was pretty deserted with an occasional small group here and there. The view of the ocean and the sunset from the top of the fort is something to die for! The tall grass all over the laterite rock bed with a narrow track leading you to this wonderful point is straight of a movie! A must visit place for sure!

Lunch at Fisherman’s Wharf, Cavelossim was a very good experience. Being right on the back waters, a view of the fishing boats and the jetty is a cherishable experience with good food. If you enjoy seafood, this is the place to go. They have 3 outlets in Goa, but I understand this one is the best! During all our visits, we don’t miss a dinner at a Benaulim beach shack. This time we went to Johncy. The sound of the waves appearing from the dark horizon, as you dine next to them is an experience we, land-locked Bangaloreans, must have! Being foodies, we also drove to Thalassa Restaurant at Siolim, north Goa, just beyond Vagator beach. You will have to book a sunset table a few weeks in advance, we were told!! We managed to get second best tables, along the creek side with a beautiful view of the setting sun. The food is great and mostly continental but very pricey. But without debate this is the most happening stand-alone restaurant in Goa. The crowd is very contemporary and International. The experience is really good.

Some remote areas of Goa and many stretches in-between points, have nil connectivity of signal and data. I was dependent on google maps all the time so I faced this challenge. Though google maps once you ‘start’ a journey, will continue even without data connection, it will turn slow occasionally. In case you exit the screen you will never be able to get a route without active data signal. I strongly recommend if you are driving to distant parts of Goa, save the maps to your destination and make it available offline so you don’t have to dependent on active data signal. Doing this saved me as we did a lot of night drives within Goa, going out for dinner and driving back. Do not expect to see people on the streets to guide you. Goans go to bed pretty early and most of the streets will be dead much early in the night. A learning for me this visit!

Return route
Due to the real scary drive we had during our onward journey, we decided to take the other route through Karwar on the way back to Bangalore. Wife popped the idea of dropping by Jog falls – has been many years since we have been there – hence decided to re-route. Else was considering the Chorla ghat route since there was no way we would go back via the Anmod ghat route.

Route taken:
Cavelossim – Karwar – Ankola – Kumta – Honnavar – Jog Falls – Shivamogga – Bhadravathi – Hosadurga – Hiriyur – Tumkur - Bangalore
We left Goa leisurely at 1130 am, after checking out of our resort. Stopped over for lunch at Kamat upachar Ankola. This stretch was overall good. Occasional construction works on the highway near Karwar, tunnel construction et al… else nothing significant to take the foot off the pedal. The roads are mostly curvaceous, very rarely straight. Overall condition of roads in this route was good but I found the later stretch to be pretty bouncy occasionally. So high speeds beyond 80-100 are a no-no.

We stopped for good south Indian plate meals at Kamat Upachar Ankola. Like any Kamat, you get all the plain vanilla stuff here. Good toilets and a large space with ample car parking.

The drive from Honnavar to Jog is a beauty! All curves and most of them blind! A two-lane highway with occasional traffic. Beware of the odd car or truck taking a long turn in one of the blind curves! It is best to stick to your lane and even honk at every blind turn. The road condition is super and the greenery is breathtaking. On one long stretch we could see steam rising from the road as it was drizzling after a long hot sunny day! This was a sight to behold, literally giving the feel of driving through clouds!

Jog itself was much leaner than her best self. But it is still a vision worth beholding! She is a real beauty. We spent a lot of time doing video calls to our elders in the family so they could also share our joy in watching these beautiful falls.

There is something with cows on this route! Suddenly out of nowhere even in the middle of wilderness, pops up a group of cows and calves all across the road. This is a major issue I found on 5-6 occasions on the return drive from Goa all the way till Bhadravathi. So please keep your senses in full alert all through!

Our drive beyond Shivamogga was a night drive, interesting and challenging one. The entire stretch is a two-lane highway without median. Most of the road does not have even paint markings or reflectors. There is an occasional stretch with reflectors that gives you hope but by the time you comfort yourself, another pitch-dark stretch begins! The stretch from Sagar to Hiriyur has some really deserted stretches where you drive through absolute darkness to the extent you don’t see a single light all the way to the horizon. A feeling of real wilderness! Was scary at times, which forced me to play some upbeat music in the car! You cross a few railway crossings, a handful of unmarked unscientific speed breakers also. The traffic within the towns of Shivamogga, Sagar and Bhadravathi is pretty chaotic and needs care during the night.

Once you reach the NH at Hiriyur, you will surely breathe a sigh of relief. I recommend you AVOID night driving in this stretch from Jog to Hiriyur. In the case of any breakdown chances of finding help or shelter is absolutely remote. So better to be avoided. Since this entire route from Goa to Hiriyur is curvy and bouncy, if any occupant is sensitive to puking, please do carry lemon or mint along with. Some stretches are so secluded you will think twice to even stop your car. So, take utmost care on this route.

Journey summary:
Cavelossim dep – 11.30 am
Lunch break at Kamat Upachar Ankola – arr 1 pm; dep 1.45 pm
Jog Falls – arr 4 pm; dep 5.30 pm. Snacks at Mayura restaurant.
Dinner break at Aramane restaurant Tarikere – arr 7.45 pm; dep 8.30 pm
Tea break at Kamat Upachar Sira – arr 10.20 pm; dep 10.40 pm
Home at Banashankari – arr 12 midnight
Total Journey time – 12.5 hrs
Total drive time – 9 hrs 10 min
Breaks – 4 nos, total 3 hr 20 min

Hope this long and detailed review helps. Thanks.
bvbhaskar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:25   #4902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbhaskar View Post
Onward route
Bangalore – Tumkur – Chitradurga – Haveri – Hubli bypass – Dharwad bypass – Londa – Tinai Ghat – Anmod Ghat – Mollem - Cavelossim

Took the Dharwad bypass onto Goa Road via Tinai Ghat & Anmod Ghat. The last stretch is in terrible condition to say the least. Please AVOID this last stretch for now.

The stretch from Dharwad by pass to Cavelossim is 158 km. The first 60 odd kms was ok with occasional stretches of torn roads, drivable at 40 - 60 kmph speeds. The stretch from just before Anmod check post till the end of the ghat section was a real disaster. Mostly beautiful concretized roads strewn with unfinished non-existent stretches. Some stretches where works are on, each for a length of about 100-200 mtrs, were absolutely slushy, deep hidden trenches, due to the recent rains. Few trucks moving on this route had worsened the hidden potholes. I survived because of the SUV and high GC but I bet most sedans would end up getting stuck or badly bottom scraped. In fact, one spot was so slushy and deep, that even my Santafe got bottom scraped. I badly missed a 4WD for once. A definite no-no for this route at least for the coming few months. The way it seems, these repairs will take at least many months to get done. So please AVOID this stretch for now.
Dear sir, did you take the diversion at Tinai ghat to avoid the last stretch from Gharli to Anmod? Your post makes me think you went ahead on the concrete road and hit the unfinished stretches with the slush traps.
The small diversion at Tinai ghat avoids this stretch and is much much better. I did this stretch on a sedan a few weeks ago.
The route is below:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/15.4...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Also, the road from Anmod checkpost to Mollem is fully concretised and if you don't miss the Tinai diversions, you are good on this stretch too.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 22:13   #4903

Quote:
Dear sir, did you take the diversion at Tinai ghat to avoid the last stretch from Gharli to Anmod? Your post makes me think you went ahead on the concrete road and hit the unfinished stretches with the slush traps.
The small diversion at Tinai ghat avoids this stretch and is much much better. I did this stretch on a sedan a few weeks ago.
The route is below:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/15.4...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Also, the road from Anmod checkpost to Mollem is fully concretised and if you don't miss the Tinai diversions, you are good on this stretch too.
Hi Niranjanrvce! As far as I recall, the bad stretches were well after the Anmod Checkpost. So taking this deviation from Tinai ghat to rejoin at the checkpost would not have helped. In fact one of our team members in this group had posted a review of this route dated 2nd october! I guess it is the rains that lashed this area after that that had destroyed the under-construction stretches. I really had the scare of my life driving through those!
Old 29th October 2020, 00:10   #4904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbhaskar View Post
Hi Niranjanrvce! As far as I recall, the bad stretches were well after the Anmod Checkpost. So taking this deviation from Tinai ghat to rejoin at the checkpost would not have helped. In fact one of our team members in this group had posted a review of this route dated 2nd october! I guess it is the rains that lashed this area after that that had destroyed the under-construction stretches. I really had the scare of my life driving through those!
No sir, those horrible stretches are just before the Anmod checkpost. Taking the Tinai ghat diversion avoids them. I travelled this route on 11th Oct and the diversion saved me.
The diversion is a very narrow road and is easy to miss or think that google is directing to the wrong route. But if you miss the diversion, then you need an army tank to traverse that bad stretch.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 06:42   #4905
BHPian

Folks,

Please suggest a route from BLR- north goa (near Anjuna/vagator beach). Google maps suggest going via Belgaum-> shinoli (hwy 130). Any inputs on the road conditions via that route?
Also, we'd need to enter MH and then goa. Any issues/precautions to take during these Covid times?

Thnx,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks