Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2020, 13:41   #4816
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I think google routed you on wrong and bad route. I was asking for Hubli-Ankola-Goa road. This is the first left from the toll post outside Hubli (Called Ankola or Karwar road and exits after 1km or so once you hit the 2 lane Hubli bypass road post toll post and you hit Kalghatgi, Yellapur on this route). Google took you all the way for the Dharwad-Mollem route via Anmod. That road is really bad in terms of dust and roads under construction. Although it used to be the shortest route from Bangalore, it is the most painful route currently.
I wanted to take the route you suggested and Yellapur, Ankola, karwar route is the most familiar route for me too. I have driven to Goa multiple times since year 2010 and almost every time I took the Karwar route. This time around when I reached Gabbur bypass (outskirts of Hubli) Google Maps strangely stated Karwar route is 1 hour 30 min slower .

Last edited by aah78 : 14th February 2020 at 08:33. Reason: Typos, typos.
Old 13th February 2020, 13:46   #4817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I wanted to take the route you suggested and Yellapur, Ankola, karwar route is the most familiar route for me too. I have driven to Goa multiple times since year 2010 and almost every time I took the Karwar route. This time around when I reached Gabbur bypass (outskirts of Hubli) Google Maps strangely stated Karwar route is 1 hour 30 min slower .
You are right but Google probably indulges in past data collected and forgets the latest updates . If not flying my recommendation is either use the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa or Hiriyur-Shimoga-Honnavar-Goa routes. Both are slow and long ones. I will go with Ankola route anytime due to less villages and broad roads (recent pain point is the diversions between Chitradurga-Hubli , again forgotten by Google perhaps).

Last edited by aah78 : 14th February 2020 at 08:34. Reason: Typos.
Old 13th February 2020, 13:51   #4818
BHPian

Quote:
If not flying my recommendation is either use the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa or Hiriyur-Shimoga-Honnavar-Goa routes. Both are slow and long ones.
My next trip to Goa will be next year same time. If the road conditions are same i will prefer flying instead. I was by the time I reached Bangalore.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th February 2020 at 08:32. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos.
Old 13th February 2020, 14:00   #4819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(recent pain point is the diversions between Chitradurga-Hubli , again forgotten by Google perhaps).
Not really because of the reason that these diversions although a pain adds up to your overall timings anywhere between 40-120 minutes depending on the time you start from both the ends.

If one has a mindset that these 200 Kms is going to test your patience, so you maintain reasonably controlled speeds (90-100 max) because you will have to slow down sooner for the next diversion then you are all set.

Interestingly, during my return drive from Gujarat last December, I was at Hubli bypass at 1510 and I was at my Yelahanka home by 2120, that too via a deviation after Dabaspete to Doddaballapura. This included one break at Chitradurga too. So that's 6 Hours and 10 minutes for a distance of 435 Kms including the 2 lane Hubli-Dharwad bypass which is hardly anything more than normal time taken.

So, essentially if you want to take the usual Chitradurga Hubli route, make up your mindset that at least 3 hours will be ups and downs and just drive and you may end up complaining less.

However, if one doesn't even remotely want to drive on these diversions, take alternate routes and avoid this completely.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th February 2020 at 08:33. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 15:30   #4820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

However, if one doesn't even remotely want to drive on these diversions, take alternate routes and avoid this completely.
I am wondering why is nobody interested to take bangalore-mangalore-goa route ? Roads are good throughout and will approximately take same time! picturesque is a added benefit.
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 08:10   #4821
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parag, please advise of any good hotels with decent parking for family stay in either Ranebennur or enroute ranebennur to Goa via Mundgod? Sri Nandi in Ranebennur looks good but parking seems a challenge.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th February 2020 at 08:16. Reason: Trimming quoted post (a large quoted content inconveniences small screen users), capitalising places. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:19   #4822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
Hi Parag, please advise of any good hotels with decent parking for family stay in either Ranebennur or enroute ranebennur to Goa via Mundgod?
Why not go upto Hubli ? You have more & better options, though a little more driving.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 08:28   #4823
BHPian

Hi Condor, Google Maps adds a 100 kms/2 hrs to Hubli compared to Ranebennur or Haveri.
In Davangere also I think there are many good hotels to stay overnight. I was thinking Ranebennur/Haveri as it is exactly midway between Banglore and South Goa. Also based on the reviews/suggestions on this thread Bangalore-Ranebennur-Mundgod-Ankola-Karwar seems the best route in terms of road quality. Please let me know if my plan sounds good?

Last edited by aah78 : 14th February 2020 at 08:36. Reason: Typos fixed. Please run a spell-check before posting. Thanks!
Old 14th February 2020, 08:37   #4824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parag, please advise of any good hotels with decent parking for family stay in either Ranebennur or enroute ranebennur to Goa via Mundgod? Sri Nandi in Ranebennur looks good but parking seems a challenge.

Thanks!
For Stay, your best bet as condor says is Hubli only. Nothing really worth around Ranebennur to stay for the night unless you want to venture inside Ranebennur or Haveri towns to stay where you will still have limited hotels.

Or else, staying in and around Davanagere (Many options) makes more sense which is hardly 30 minutes from Ranebennur. Honestly, Davanagere makes more sense to me over Ranebennur.

Davanagere has Sankama Botique Hotel, Apoorva Resorts and more.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th February 2020 at 08:38.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:37   #4825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Davanagere has Sankama Botique Hotel, Apoorva Resorts and more.
Parag, I vaguely remember one new place on the highway, just before Davangere. When heading south, it is on the left. Is Apoorva that one ?
Old 18th February 2020, 16:40   #4826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Parag, I vaguely remember one new place on the highway, just before Davangere. When heading south, it is on the left. Is Apoorva that one ?
Apoorva is while heading North.

There are many coming up now between Hubli and Davanagere. So not sure which one you are referring to.
Old 18th February 2020, 22:42   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Condor, Google Maps adds a 100 kms/2 hrs to Hubli compared to Ranebennur or Haveri.

Avoid Ranebennur, I was there over the weekend and regretted taking the car, none of the lodges had parking.
I had intially booked Sri Nandi, it is middle of a busy street with no parking. Then wen to Siddikha, which had space across the road.

From Ranebennur, Hubli is about 2.5 hours, with some road diverisions, plenty of options in Hubli for lodges.

Last edited by motorpsycho : 18th February 2020 at 22:44.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:53   #4828

Hi Guys - Planning to go to South Goa(Agonda) from Bangalore(Hebbal) via Chitradurga --> Haveri --> Mundgod --> Yellapur --> Ankola --> Karwar --> Goa route. I will be driving a Tata Nexon (AMT) with Spouse(who can drive) and a 2.4 Year old Kid buckled to a car seat. I have train tickets booked as well as backup.

Has anyone recently traveled in this route? It the fastest route per google with a travel time of 10:30 minutes. I have traveled the same route in 2015 without hassles except for the single lane in the 2nd half of the journey.

Based on the thread above, I plan on NOT touching Hubli after haveri due to the increase in distance and travel time.
Old 20th February 2020, 17:05   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanret View Post
Hi Guys - Planning to go to South Goa(Agonda) from Bangalore(Hebbal) via Chitradurga --> Haveri --> Mundgod --> Yellapur --> Ankola --> Karwar --> Goa route. I will be driving a Tata Nexon (AMT) with Spouse(who can drive) and a 2.4 Year old Kid buckled to a car seat. I have train tickets booked as well as backup.
Instead of taking Haveri - Mundgod, I would suggest you to drive till Bankapur on NH4 and then take left towards Mundgod.

After Mundgod the road condition towards Yellapur is good but you will not be able to maintain good speeds on this road because of local traffic, villages and cows, dogs on the road. Please try to avoid this stretch after evening as there will not be any support in case of emergency.
Old 22nd February 2020, 22:47   #4830
BHPian

Greetings BHPians,

I just got back from a 7N/8D trip to Goa from Bangalore. Drove 1420 kms
Onward: Bangalore - Shivmogga - Karwar - Cavelossim (overnight stay in Shivmogga)
Drive Day 1 Breakfast stop: Hotel Anand Kushi (Bad choice, but hungry stomach overruled food quality!)
Drive Day 2 Lunch Stop: Ajvi ocean restaurant, Karwar (excellent option if you like seafood and icecreams). Also it has a wonderful ocean view.
Return: Cavelossim - Karwar - Yellapur - Mundgod - Davangere - Bangalore (overnight stay in Davangere)
Drive Day 1 Lunch Stop: Ajvi ocean restaurant, Karwar
Drive Day 2 Lunch Stop: Cafe coffee day, Sira
Shivmogga route the roads are excellent almost the entire stretch. It does pass through number of towns/villages with the usual speed breakers, local traffic which will slow you down. The ghat section is longer.
Davangere route ghats are lesser. But I found the road from Yellapur to Bankapur via Mundgod horrible. I came via Mundgod and it was mostly a single road and had to get off the road few times for both overtaking and giving way for incoming vehicles. Thanks to @paragsachania, @condor and @motorpsycho I chose to stay in Davangere - Sankama instead of looking for a place in Ranebennur or Haveri! Also the Bankapur - Davangere - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore stretch is a sheer joy to drive as reviewed by most BHPians here, even though the tens of diversions will really test your patience!
Overall had a very good trip and enjoyed the drive. Within Goa I found the traffic sense much better and nobody seemed to be in a hurry including the taxi's. A much needed change from the driving experience in and around Bengaluru!
Santosh.Kat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks