Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 14:34   #4411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is this to be avoided strictly?

I am driving tomorow morning from Davangere; planning to take Mundgod - Yellapur route.

I don't mind not having any facilities as I am starting from Davangere only, but apart from that anything? Isn't it too much of a detour to go up-to Hubli and then go towards Yellapur?
If Mundgod road is causing any confusion/hesitation, just take Davangere-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Karwar-Goa route. Peace of mind assured and time taken is lesser than that of Hubli road by an hour or so. But it will take slightly more time than Mundgod road.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 15:13   #4412
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Peace of mind assured and time taken is lesser than that of Hubli road by an hour or so. But it will take slightly more time than Mundgod road.
Not really. Only cause now of the 6 laning. But going through Hubli takes lesser time.

If going to Agonda then take the Karwar route. Belgaum-Chorla gets really too long. Unless you love the Belgaum Kunda. Which is then, worth the drive.

And you are going to Goa, not to a official work meeting. Stop fretting and enjoy the drive. 2 - 3 hours more so what? don't bother.

Stop often, take huge gulps of fresh clean air. Smell the flowers, grass, trees along the way. Stop, sit down under the shade of a tree. Let time pass by.

Take in the sights, it's one of the most beautiful routes in the country.

When you get to Goa, drown all of it in good food and liquids. Agonda Beach is an absolute beaut.

Welcome to our state.
Spitfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:30   #4413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Not really. Only cause now of the 6 laning. But going through Hubli takes lesser time.
I am from Goa only. Just working at Bangalore with 7-8 trips home every year. This is a real "sushegaad" drive you are suggesting .
When you are in time crunch (which I am usually in) Hubli route is not an ideal one for south Goa. Since Anmod is out for now and Mundgod is having its own issues, Sirsi route is ideal in my opinion for south Goa.

Last edited by ampere : 8th June 2019 at 10:17. Reason: Compacted quoted post
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 19:01   #4414
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I am from Goa only. Just working at Bangalore with 7-8 trips home every year.
Oh khai re bab? Av ponjekar. Tu sashti cho dista?

Translated: Oh, good to meet. I am from Panjim. Looks like you are from Salcette side.

Yes, ofcourse. I leave at 4:30 AM in the morning and drive non-stop to Belgaum (now) after Anmod closed and then home to Panaji through Chorla.

Takes about 10 hours. I dont exceed 110 - 120 kmph. So not really susegaad (Translated: contentedly) but at a decent pace.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 20:30   #4415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh khai re bab? Av ponjekar. Tu sashti cho dista?
Translated: Oh, good to meet. I am from Panjim. Looks like you are from Salcette side.
Aav pednekar! (Translated: I am from Pedne (pernem)). But visit my wife's home in Quepem, South Goa on every visit and hence my Goa entry point is always south Goa.

Last edited by ampere : 8th June 2019 at 10:17. Reason: Compacted quoted post
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 23:26   #4416
Senior - BHPian

For a 9 am start from Davanagere and head via Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola, any good lunch options?
Old 4th June 2019, 23:38   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
For a 9 am start from Davanagere and head via Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola, any good lunch options?
Ankola Kamat Upachar. Once you reach the Ankola -Goa highway from Yellapur side, take left towards Ankola and you will find Kamat Upachar about 3-4 Kms layer on your right.

Seems quite a few Goenkars responding here now. Well, Goenkara, Haav Vascokar. (Goan dude, I am from Vasco,Goa)
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 00:53   #4418
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Goa during this week (Bangalore - Davangere - Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Goa) with a stop over at Davangere. With a 4pm start from Marathahalli, had Dinner from Apoorva Resorts at Davanagere at about 10:30pm which was really good food and ambience, but stayed at a budget option in Davangere town (Hotel Shoven) as Apoorva was some 3.5K/night and we just wanted a place for a nights sleep and check out early morning. After having the popular Benne Dosa breakfast at a popular hotel (New Guru Koteswara), hit the highway back.

The road works that started from Chitradurga last night continued but the drive is smooth. Diversions are well marked and the traffic flow is normal:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-repairs.jpg

Sparse traffic and rest of those stretches looked like runways:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-straight-road-hw.jpg

With several suggestions made by the members here, decided to take Bankapura - Mundgod route. Let me tell you, it was absolutely fantastic. Though the stretch does not have any facilities which I did not really wanted for a morning drive, it was a pleasure drive through it. Narrow roads and have to get on to the shoulders to give way if some big ones come on your way. But if heading towards south Goa, this route can be opted over Hubli - Yellapur.

Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur stretch:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-bankapura.jpg

Yellapur towards Ankola:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-yellapur.jpg

The ghat sections further down which is another smooth stretch:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-ghat-road.jpg

The point where the Yellapur road joins the NH66. Left towards Mangalore/Ankola; Right towards Goa:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-ankola-jt.jpg

Went towards Ankola for about 2Kms to lunch at Kamat:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-kamat.jpg

Massive road widening work towards Goa but the drive is smooth:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa-road.jpg

Welcome to Goa:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa-entrance.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 8th June 2019 at 01:14.
balenoed_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 05:56   #4419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With several suggestions made by the members here, decided to take Bankapura - Mundgod route. Let me tell you, it was absolutely fantastic. Though the stretch does not have any facilities which I did not really wanted for a morning drive, it was a pleasure drive through it. Narrow roads and have to get on to the shoulders to give way if some big ones come on your way. But if heading towards south Goa, this route can be opted over Hubli - Yellapur.
My interest was to read this experience because I personally would choose this over Hubli option any day and I have taken this too.

Glad you share the same experience.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 13:12   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Just back from a quick trip to Sanquelim. In summary - Chorala for North Goa and Ankola - Karwar for South Goa are best routes for now. Since anmod is closed for construction works, don't go by Gmaps - and beware of a lot of bus and truck traffic on already narrow chorala roads.

Now the fun part - I was in Dandeli for weekend and going to Sanquelim on Monday. Took the road through catslerock instead of Londha. Simply followed the G maps and did not bother to check or inquire current conditions of roads with anyone nor this thread. Ended up teaching anmod right in the middle of construction work! This is absolutely to avoid. I had to take route back to Khanapur via bhimgad sanctuary. Except the anmod part of construction, the route was super scenic and amazing obviously. I had time at hand and was in no rush so still pushed through a small red line warning of gmaps. I was driving my xuv and that was a great confidence to drive through under construction road when I reached 3 KM's before anmod all the way until I exited the circle towards bhimgad.
Does anyone have an update on Anmod as on today ? If someone wants to enter Goa with a stop-over at Dandeli, is the construction over? Or is it just safe to go through Karwar? Traveling there in 8 days or so, any updates will surely help.
Old 2nd July 2019, 13:29   #4421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devyaaniverma View Post
Does anyone have an update on Anmod as on today ? If someone wants to enter Goa with a stop-over at Dandeli, is the construction over? Or is it just safe to go through Karwar? Traveling there in 8 days or so, any updates will surely help.
You can totally avoid Anmod and still reach Dandeli via Dharwad - Haliyal anyway. And then, reach Karwar - Goa highway via Joida and Sadashivgadh.

I am not sure how the roads after Dandeli are towards Sadshivgadh as it was at least 3 years before that I drove via this route.

The only other saner choice would be to reach Yellapura from Dandeli and then the usual route.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:04   #4422
Distinguished - BHPian

What I heard from the talks at home is - Anmod is not yet ready. So no point taking it. Like Parag mentioned, Joida - Sadashivgad is decent road. At this time of the year it would be even more amazing. And monsoon rains will make it lovely to drive through!
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:24   #4423
BHPian

Took the Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Panjim route yesterday.

Roads are pretty decent apart from the road work being done between Chitradurga and Bankapura which aren't too bad, they just slows you down a bit. While this route is about 80kms longer than the Dharward - Anmod route, it only took just over 10 hours with one stop for fuel with pretty sedate driving speeds.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st July 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Spacing
Crhysis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 10:46   #4424
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Need to drive to Ponda from Bangalore during mid August. What would be the best route ?

I usually take the Hubli-anmod-mollem route but looks like this route is closed now from few months.

Please suggest !!

EDIT:
As per the post from @balenoed, Looks like this is the best available option:
Bangalore - Davangere - Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Ponda

Feel free to edit.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 12th July 2019 at 11:04.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:23   #4425
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
As per the post from @balenoed, Looks like this is the best available option:
Bangalore - Davangere - Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Ponda
The Bankapur-Yellapur route should be fine if done during daylight, so a morning start from Bangalore should be fine. Similarly, if your return involves a morning start from Ponda this is fine. This is because the route is a bit desolate, hardly any facilities (if traveling with family) and narrow road with some road work in progress few months ago.

I would say try this when going from Bangalore and then decide if it's worth taking Yellapur-Hubli route for your return journey.

*Also, today's newspaper had a mention about soil erosion and fallen trees on the Hubli-Ankola NH 63 yesterday and it caused a 6 hour traffic jam.

Link

Source: New Indian express Bangalore 12 July 2019

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st July 2019 at 10:49. Reason: Minor spacing
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks