Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 13:00   #4321
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
@Chalu I'm planning the same sometime (kid in tow, break the journey). I was thinking of touching the coast early & driving along the coast the next day.

1) Bangalore -> towards Hassan -> Shimoga -> Sagara -> Honnavara
2) Honnavara -> Kumta -> Karwar -> Varca
Junked plans of driving due to uncertainty on road conditions and it would take a toll on the kid, have decided to fly to Goa
Old 11th January 2019, 18:54   #4322
BHPian

Final update :-

Part of NH4A ( Belgaum--Panjim highway) from Ramnagar to Anmod has been finally closed for traffic. Here is a pic of the same ( source - All about Belgaum Facebook page ) -

https://www.facebook.com/10704133355...6144231643553/
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-fb_img_1547212801684.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 11:23   #4323
BHPian

Multiple news in last day or two report closure of Anmod pass towards Hubli. Google map is still showing route through Mollem -> Anmod to Hubli. Probably either mistake or through some shortcuts. Wont be wise to take it now. Repairs are expected to take anywhere between 3 months to 6 months.

We are going to take Chorla pass to Belgaum side and then get back to Hubli. Will update on the route later.

Cheers
Ranger747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 11:16   #4324
BHPian

On our return from Cavelossim, We took the Chorla pass to reach Belgaum and then drive down to Hubli. Stayed in Hubli one night and drove to Bangalore yesterday morning.

Chorla route has narrower roads in general but surface is good. There are some stretches where the road is uneven, still paved. Otherwise, it is a step up compare to the Anmod - Mollem route.
Road condition is good from Chorla till about 20KM to Belgaum. It is always two lane without divider. So pay attention to oncoming traffic while attempting any overtake.

Remember to fill your tank either in and around Ponda or before. There are no good options after that till you hit some town on Karnataka side.

There is no additional update on Hubli -> Chitradurga -> Tumkur -> Bangalore route other than shared earlier. Still drivable with patches of roadwork en-route. Good driving!

Cheers
Ranger747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 16:10   #4325
BHPian

The drama surrounding the closure of Anmod ghat refuses to die.

News of Ghat Closure

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-anmod-closure-1.jpg

Residents Demand

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-anmod-closure.jpg

Today's update

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-anmod-closure-2.jpg
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 11:21   #4326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
The drama surrounding the closure of Anmod ghat refuses to die.

News of Ghat Closure

Attachment 1837825

Residents Demand

Attachment 1837824

Today's update

Attachment 1837826
Thank you for these updates! Definitely going to help all of us. Have passed on this info to my friends traveling to Goa in the next 2 months.
Old 29th January 2019, 12:14   #4327
BHPian

Will be driving down from Bangalore (Mathikere) to Club Mahindra Varca Beach on 6th Feb. Visiting Goa for the first time. Which route should I take? Google route is diversion after Haveri - Yellapur - Aversa - Karwar - Majali - Agonda - Cavelossim - Club Mahindra Varca Beach. Completely confused after going through the road closure articles.
Old 29th January 2019, 14:03   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
Will be driving down from Bangalore (Mathikere) to Club Mahindra Varca Beach on 6th Feb. Visiting Goa for the first time. Which route should I take? Google route is diversion after Haveri - Yellapur - Aversa - Karwar - Majali - Agonda - Cavelossim - Club Mahindra Varca Beach. Completely confused after going through the road closure articles.
If possible, please fly.

Else,

This is the route you take: Mathikere-Nelamangala-Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapura-Karwar-Canacona-Varca.

Chitradurga-Hubli: Construction zone, but you can manage without issues.
Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapura: Construction zone, you can manage though.
Ankola-Karwar-Goa Border: Construction zone. Of course, you can manage.

If you want to avoid Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapura construction zone, you can try your luck in the form of Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura, but Mundgod-Yellapura roads are very narrow. I wouldn't advise this at all.

Expect to have irritants throughout the journey in the form of toll booths, speed breakers, construction zone and occasional idiots. Not to discourage, but just setting expectations.
Old 29th January 2019, 21:21   #4329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
I would be at the same place from Feb 3rd to 8th. Hope to meet you and have mini team bhp meet :-)

I too had planned to drive but junked my driving plans due to very bad condition of the roads and the time required which is close to 12 hours of drive which is taxing on the body.

I decided to fly.

Drive safe.
Old 1st February 2019, 14:09   #4330

Quick Update:

Just returned from Goa. Followed Google Maps which took me via the Anmod Ghat section to Dharwad.

The Goa side of the road is a bliss to drive. Well laid roads, less traffic and green. You cross the border and things change drastically. You'll encounter a lot of potholes at every turn for the first 4-5 kms. I saw a couple of car stranded after scrapping their underbelly.
Then you end up meeting the ongoing construction zones. I was driving an SUV so zipped thru where ever I could. But once you are caught behind another vehicle there is no way to make out the road in the dust. There is so much dust that gets kicked up, that we could taste it in our mouth - in a closed car that too. All the way till Ramnagara, you will see a lot of patches like this under construction. Beyond Ramnagara is a two lane tolled state highway till Dharwad.

Best bet would be to avoid the Anmod route for the next 4-5 years till the work completes. In my opinion, the contractor was right to close the road in the first place, but was forced to open it up for light vehicles. But I saw a lot of trucks using this road as well. I should have either taken the Karwar route or Belgaum route.

Dharwad to Hubballi is again a 2 lane, with lots of heavy vehicle - no way to pickup speed here. Hubballi till Chitradurga - there are many points where they've put up diversions due to road expansion. So speed is limited again. By the time you make it to 100-120kmph, you will have to reduce speed again. There are a few speed humps as well which are easy to miss. Beyond Chitradurga, the drive becomes easy. You can easily make up time here till you hit Tumkur. After Tumkur we know the story till Bangalore.

Fastag works everywhere except NICE road, Hubbali-Dharwad section and the Dharwad-Ramnagara stretch.

We started at 8.30AM from Utorda and reached home at 8.30PM, with 2 breaks of 45mins each.

In a nutshell, if you can afford take a flight. If you really like driving (like me ), avoid Anmod ghat at all cost. If all else fails, take the train - you'll atleast get a glimpse of the Dudhsagar falls.
Archie81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 17:23   #4331
BHPian

Based on the past few posts and personal experiences of many people here (including myself), I think the good driving times to Goa from Bangalore has come to an end. May be 2025 would be a good year to start thinking about driving there. In spite of my best efforts to conclude things otherwise, my conclusion is that our governments tends to work against the citizens, not for the citizens. Time to accept our fate and move on.

Here-afterwards, please fly to Goa until road conditions get better, ITS SIMPLY NOT WORTH IT.
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:08   #4332
BHPian

What happened to the chorla ghat road? That's also in a bad shape is it? Planning to drive with my daughter and her friend on1st March.
Old 4th February 2019, 12:35   #4333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
What happened to the chorla ghat road? That's also in a bad shape is it? Planning to drive with my daughter and her friend on1st March.
See if the info given here is useful.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4520389 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

Thanks to /u/Mukund.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 15:30   #4334
BHPian

Update on road conditions from Ponda (Goa) to Hubli bypass via Karwar & Yellapur.

Route taken Ponda - Madgaon - Karwar - Yellapur - Kalghatgi - Hubli bypass.

1) Ponda to Madgaon easy drive with diversion for road works at Ponda.

2) Madgaon to Karwar road is good, but we came across diversions for road works along the way. There are a number of eateries near Karwar.

3) Karwar, near Naval Base there are some blind curves. On one such curve a truck in front of us was overtaking another truck and almost crashed into an oncoming minivan. The minivan driver managed to swerve in the nick of time, but couldn't avoid slamming into a boulder. Fortunately no one was hurt. Lesson learnt - I started slowing down to a crawl at blind curves and horning like crazy.

4) Karwar to Yellapur road is in good condition, except for some deterioration on curves at Arabail Ghats. Plenty of trucks on the way, but easy to overtake.

5) Yellapur to Kalghatgi road is in good condition. However beyond Kalghatgi for about 5km or more the road is bad with half completed concreting etc. Beyond that the road to Hubli bypass is drivable by a hatchback without a problem.
Old 16th February 2019, 17:14   #4335
Senior - BHPian

Since Anmod is ruled out, has anybody tried below routes recently? If yes please update the condition.
1. Bangalore Shimoga Sagar Honnavar Ankola Goa
2. Bangalore Haveri Sirsi Kumta Ankola Goa

I am looking for a better and shorter route for south Goa than the Hubli Ankola route. Chorla is ruled out and don't want to go via Bankapur Yellapur since travelling with family. Would prefer to be near highways for peace of mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks