Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 10:51   #3706
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I found couple of more options Sir....some diversions.
Do I need to take:
1. Alnawar or
2. Khanapur/Jamboti?

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_1054.jpg  

foxtrot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 11:08   #3707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
I found couple of more options Sir....some diversions.
Do I need to take:
1. Alnawar or
2. Khanapur/Jamboti?Any advice?
Can you tell us where is your destination?

Usually, if its anywhere around South Goa, the Hubli - Kalhatgi - Yellapura - Ankola- Karwar works.

If if anywhere closer to Madgaon/Colva, the Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Mollem option works.

However, if your destination is North of Panaji, you are better off with Chorla. Again, if its Chorla, you have choices to go there via Belgaum or skipping Belgaum via Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti.

If its Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti, remember that the 15 kms stretch from Khanapur to Jamboti is not in its best shape and is a mixed bad but again not something that you should avoid because it is a very good time saver as it helps you take the Chorla route without spending time to cross Belgaum.

In terms of road conditions, all the 3 options - Via Yellapura - Ankola, Via Ramnagar-Mollem or via Belgaum - Chorla remain good.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 12:59   #3708
BHPian

Thanks a lot Parag, I would be heading towards Candolim Beach, North Goa, from Hennur, Bangalore.

Kindly advice.
Old 5th December 2016, 13:08   #3709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Parag, I would be heading towards Candolim Beach, North Goa, from Hennur, Bangalore.

Kindly advice.
For Candolim, its no brainer. Take the Belgaum - Chorla - Panaji route. Keep Belgaum as a break point for your lunch may be.

Else, it you really want to avoid Belgaum (takes 45m-1h to cross this completely), you can do Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Panaji - Candolim.
Old 5th December 2016, 21:45   #3710
BHPian

Thanks Parag,

But according to the straight forwards route that you have mentioned via Belgaum-Chorla, takes 30 minutes more.

(1) Bangalore-Tumakuru-Hiriyur-Davangere-Ranebennur-Dharwad-Alnawar-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim around 600kms in approx 10hrs

(2) Bangalore-Tumakuru-Hiriyur-Davangere-Ranebennur-Dharwad-Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla-Panjim around 630Kms in approx 10:30hrs

Now, from ease of driving and timing, shall Mollem route be more favourable or Chorla...? For reference have used Google Maps below:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-via-alnawargoogle-maps.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-via-khanapurgoogle-maps.jpg  

Old 5th December 2016, 22:34   #3711
BHPian

Quote:
(1) Bangalore-Tumakuru-Hiriyur-Davangere-Ranebennur-Dharwad-Alnawar-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim around 600kms in approx 10hrs
(2) Bangalore-Tumakuru-Hiriyur-Davangere-Ranebennur-Dharwad-Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla-Panjim around 630Kms in approx 10:30hrs
I have unconfirmed reports past few months saying that there is some road work going on between Mollem and Ponda which is causing traffic bottlenecks. I haven't myself witnessed it as I have not gone to Goa in the recent days, hence was the reason to not comment until now. Had it not been for this, indeed the Anmod ghat--Mollem route is way faster than Belgaum--Chorla route for Panjim and Candolim as well. NH4A has much wider and straighter roads than Chorla and most important reason being the distance is shorter. Chorla as I have said before is good for people coming from Mumbai/Pune/Hyderabad. In case the NH4A is indeed a slower route as on date, take the Alnavar--Khanapur--Jamboti route if you don't wish to enter Belgaum, as mentioned by Parag.

EDIT - Just for informatiom - As for Belgaum, it's tad faster to cross the city now than earlier as the last 3.3 kms of the road has been converted into a 6 lane. I am very sure about this

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2016 at 17:09. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 22:53   #3712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I have unconfirmed reports past few months saying that there is some road work going on between Mollem and Ponda which is causing traffic bottlenecks.
So option1, i.e. Mollem/Anmod should be ruled out!!!

Thanks Vivek

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2016 at 17:09. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
foxtrot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 09:05   #3713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As for Belgaum, it's tad faster to cross the city now than earlier as the last 3.3 kms of the road has been converted into a 6 lane.
Yes. If you enter Belgaum from the second entry point or from KLE side, its only the area near bus stand and junction before railway station that could be time consuming. Thats only around peak hours - office/ schools. But otherwise, it should not be taking more than 25 minutes from entrance into Belgaum until you reach piranwadi cross. Two weeks ago I was on this stretch around 8am in the morning and it took me only 15 minutes from entrance into the city until exit to Chorala turnoff/ Piranwadi cross.

So unless something unusual or peak hour traffic, this is best route for anywhere to north Goa.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 15:56   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
I have unconfirmed reports past few months saying that there is some road work going on between Mollem and Ponda which is causing traffic bottlenecks. I haven't myself witnessed it as I have not gone to Goa in the recent days, hence was the reason to not comment until now. Had it not been for this, indeed the Anmod ghat--Mollem route is way faster than Belgaum--Chorla route for Panjim and Candolim as well.
I had been to Goa about 2 weeks back taking the Dharwad-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda route. There is nothing much to worry. Some work is going on but it will not slow you down any bit. Overall this route is excellent.
Sandy28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 16:17   #3715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Yes. If you enter Belgaum from the second entry point or from KLE side, its only the area near bus stand and junction before railway station that could be time consuming. Thats only around peak hours - office/ schools. But otherwise, it should not be taking more than 25 minutes from entrance into Belgaum until you reach piranwadi cross.
I usually and always have taken the exit near Sankam so that Bus Stand area from here is 5 minutes.

But I have always got delayed beyond this due to continuous traffic. I think it may have nothing to do with traffic really but the fact that one has driven non stop for 500 kms and then has to crawl in 2nd and 3rd gears quite often till Piranwadi cross and that itself is quite irritating for anyone.

In terms of time, reaching Jamboti directly from Khanapur will be efficient, say by at least 20 minutes unless you get stuck at a railway crossing(s) on the Dharwad - Anmod Route but I have been lucky all the times except once only because gods ensured I made a delayed start at 0530 instead of my usual 0430 .

Overall, like Vivek says, Anmod is a very good option if one is not looking for super curvy ghats that Chorla is. Anmod is fast in the ghats as well and quite wide to pass at the same speed when a heavy oncoming vehicle is confronted.

But it has always been a classical choice isnt it - Chorla for North Goa and Anmod or Yellapura for South Goa! Works best that way.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 16:49   #3716
BHPian

^^ I believe @abirnale was talking about entering Belgaum from Pune side ( KLE hospital side ) which is the correct entry. One has to traverse the city about 1 km extra coming from Pune (total 16kms) as compared to coming from Bangalore side ( total 15 kms ). You are right, it's more about crawling in lower gears than the traffic itself.

@abirnale - Agree with you. Earlier only the last 3.3kms of road till Piranwadi cross was an undivided 2 lane road with high traffic levels. Recently, even that has been converted into a 6 lane road. So, you get all multilane roads today while crossing Belgaum. It is relatively faster to cross the city now.

@foxtrot -- I just noticed that Google maps is suggesting a partially different route to cross Belgaum city ( coming from Bangalore ) which takes you through narrow traffic prone roads. Do not follow that.

Check the below Google map link, I have corrected the route for you ( 4/6 lane roads all throughout )-

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/R2VpHkdr18p

Last edited by vivek95 : 7th December 2016 at 17:04.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 13:02   #3717
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I am leaving for Goa this Saturday at about 10:30 am from Bannergatta Road. Need your help on good eateries for Lunch around 2pm, I am traveling with family.

Which route is better out of these two?
1) Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Panaji
2) Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Anmod - Panaji

I read somewhere in this thread that vehicles are not allowed in route 1 after 6pm, is that true?
Thanks in advance.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:16   #3718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Need your help on good eateries for Lunch around 2pm, I am traveling with family.
10:30 AM to 2 PM = 3.5 Hours. Hence your ideal options are these 2:
  1. Apoorva Resorts, just before Davanagere Bypass - 270 from Bangalore
  2. Kamat Upachar, another 20 minutes away from here - 300 from Bangalore

Quote:
Which route is better out of these two?
1) Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Panaji
2) Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Anmod - Panaji
Assuming that your destination is Panaji, you can take this route:

Bangalore - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji

Also note that your second route is not passing the right via points. You don't have to go to Khanapur at all unless you want to go via Chorla Ghats and avoid entering Belgaum. If you want to take the Chorla Ghats, then your route options will be as below:
  1. Bangalore - Hubli - Dharwad - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Panaji
  2. Bangalore - Hubli - Dharwad - MK Hubli - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Panaji - (bypassing Belgaum via Chorla)
  3. Bangalore - Hubli - Dharwad - Ramnagar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Panaji - (bypassing Belgaum via Chorla)

Considering its going to be dark when you cross the Ghats, I will suggest you to consider this only during your return and stick to the route via Anmod - Mollem - Ponda to reach Panaji as ghats are wider.

Quote:
I read somewhere in this thread that vehicles are not allowed in route 1 after 6pm, is that true?Thanks in advance.
Need not worry about restrictions on the route that you are taking. All vehicles are allowed 24 Hours.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 17:45   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Need not worry about restrictions on the route that you are taking. All vehicles are allowed 24 Hours.
Paragbhai, looks like he is referring to time when the Ramnagar Anmod road was in real bad shape and vehicles were taking a jungle route to Khanapur from Alnawar and then to Anmod. That route had the 6PM to 6AM restriction. The usual Ramnagar to Anmod route has no such issue.

Also one observation about Apoorva Resorts, Davangere. They had Ala Carte service earlier but now a days I saw they serve buffet and it is not of great quality (price is towards higher side). Tried once but gave up next time . Need to check on that. Kamat Upchar is as usual.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 8th December 2016 at 17:51.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 12:38   #3720
BHPian

We are four adults with two kids planning for Bangalore - Vascodagama - Bangalore during the Christmas weekend. My intention is to start on or before 5 AM but there is a high probability to have a delayed start by 7 AM.

1) Do I need to take the following route?

Mahadevpura (Bangalore) - Tumkur - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Londa - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Kesarvale - Vascodagama

2) I need suggestions for good restaurants for breakfast and lunch.

3) Is return route same as the onward?

4) I am planning for a 9 AM start from Vascodogama. Any pointers for good restaurants for lunch and dinner?

5) Any other precautions/suggestions would be of great help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks