Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 10:41   #3661
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
Thanks for the update. However I have not taken this route in the previous trips. We used to go upto Hubli and take the bypass from there towards Ankola via Yellapur. I have heard of the Bankapur route but never taken it. WOuld the bankapur route be shorted than via Hubli ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
I had taken the Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod route to Canacona in South Goa and that was 630 kms compared to 590 kms on the way back to Bangalore via Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur. Not sure about the difference with respect to Hubli - Ankola.
This post is where I have put up the comparison between the 2 routes. That one was in September 2015 and my next drive was in May 2016.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3813606

In short, the Mungod route is indeed shorter and saves time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The Mungod Route:

It is indeed a time saver. Sample this, we turned right at Yellapura exactly at 1522 Hours by the clock and hit NH4 at Shiggaon at 1630 Hours. This is almost 70 mins with very sedate driving (say 70kmph max) as daughter was sleeping and it was a new road, narrow with few sudden turns and small speedbreakers. I don’t think if one takes Yellapura – Hubli Bypass – NH4 route, you can reach any faster to Shiggaon where we joined NH4.

The petty speedbreakers here at few villages should not bother you at all. None of these are car breakers! If you miss them, you can still pass them over without breaking a Bone or a suspension component. Anyway, you will hardly be able to do anything more than 70-80 kmph as the roads is less in wider and you will hardly get a straight stretch to belt some good speeds.

Should you take this deviation at all ?

Well, my answer would be a firm YES if you are looking for a calmer, scenic & definitely FASTER option to hit Yellapura from Bangalore.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:39   #3662
BHPian

Will be traveling to goa (more specifically. Assagao) from bangalore around this month end. We're a family of 8 leaving in 2 cars and plan to leave by 3 AM. I usually take the route suggested by Google maps but in this case, there are three. I have never driven to goa before and have no idea what to watch out for. Have driven to Hubli and the roads were great but not sure after Hubli. Can anybody give me some tips and suggestions please. Thanks in advance!

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20161023223430.png
Old 24th October 2016, 06:39   #3663
BHPian

1. Download the route on Google Maps because you will loose network after Hubli / Dharwad for a while and if you aren't familiar with road it will definately help. Also keep an eye out for the turn after Dharwad, it is easy to miss.
2. Fill up on Petrol/ Diesel before you pass Hubli. Davangere is a good option.
3. Fill up on breakfast before Hubli. Don't think there are too many option after that.
4. Watch out for the speed cam near Davangere. See earlier in the thread for details.
5. Watch out for fog near Anmod. There has been quite a bit of fog in Goa over the last week and it gets a little crazy on the Anmod ghat.
6. When you get into Goa look out for nice stretches of new road disappearing into no roads all of a sudden. This happens in 3 places just after Mollem, just before Ponda and just before Panjim. The Ponda stretch isn't as bad as the other 2.

I'm driving down to Goa on Friday so I will do some recon and update the post if anything changes.
Old 24th October 2016, 09:00   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
4. Watch out for the speed cam near Davangere. See earlier in the thread for details.
Did you get a speeding ticket. Are there other locations too where speed cam are present.
Old 24th October 2016, 09:17   #3665
BHPian

Someone mentioned it on the thread a few months ago. So I kept an eye out and speed in check on that stretch. I have seen the speed cam it a couple of times after that.

Only time I got a ticket was on the Hubli - Ankola - Karwar route just after the Hubli turn off towards Goa. But that is because the speed limit is 20 or 40kmph and the cop does a good job of staying hidden. This was a few years ago.
Old 24th October 2016, 09:32   #3666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
Did you get a speeding ticket. Are there other locations too where speed cam are present.
Towards Goa, this is located at 2 places normally. One is in front of Medical college and the other one near Shamnur Exit.

On return too, these Interceptors are located near the college.
Old 25th October 2016, 10:29   #3667
BHPian

Would the Bangalore - Karwar - Polem - Vasco - Panjim route be preferred if traveling from bangalore? I wanted to stick to NH's for as long as I can, somebody told me this route would be safe and I don't miss out on scenery as well. I understand that the Hubli - Dharwar route is shorter but I don't mind taking this. Somebody please confirm. Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention, we'll be leaving at 12 in the night so the safest possible route must come to mind naturally.

Last edited by createrkid : 25th October 2016 at 10:42.
Old 25th October 2016, 10:56   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Would the Bangalore - Karwar - Polem - Vasco - Panjim route be preferred if traveling from bangalore? I wanted to stick to NH's for as long as I can, somebody told me this route would be safe and I don't miss out on scenery as well. I understand that the Hubli - Dharwar route is shorter but I don't mind taking this. Somebody please confirm. Thanks!
Karwar route for Panjim is a thing of the past but one can take it just for the sake of exploring. Scenic wise, all the Western ghat routes are very scenic. Iny honest opinion, Anmod ghat route is tad more exciting to drive than the Arebail ghat ( Yellapur-Karwar ) as it has more twisty roads and dense forests. Dharwad--Ramnagar is a state highway (no.34) but roads are very good. Ramnagar-Anmod ghat-Panjim is NH4A ( Belgaum - Panjim NH) which also has good roads except some minor patches in between.

Just for the information, Vasco is off the way. It's Polem-Madgaon-Panjim
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 11:05   #3669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Ramnagar-Anmod ghat-Panjim is NH4A ( Belgaum - Panjim NH) which also has good roads except some minor patches in between.
Vivek, Can you please check with your sources on the latest condition between Ramnagar and Anmod. Last I heard was a from a friend on yesterday who reports that huge potholes are back again on certain stretches on this ghat.

However, since I have been usually taking the Anmod option even when it was not repaired, I have preferred it mainly because of the "ease" to drive once you cross the Border into Goa to your destination as you don't face much local traffic.

This is the biggest advantage of Anmod route that helps you reach most of your destinations in South Goa faster.

The Karwar route although in good shape makes you drive along with dense traffic on NH17, mainly crossing Karwar and after entering Goa.
Old 25th October 2016, 21:09   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
Vivek, Can you please check with your sources on the latest condition between Ramnagar and Anmod. Last I heard was a from a friend on yesterday who reports that huge potholes are back again on certain stretches on this ghat.
Oh, is it ? I had last heard that the top layer of the road was coming off at some places giving rise to some small potholes. May be in the recent days, huge potholes have developed. I will try to get updates on this but I really doubt any of my sources are aware of the latest condition. They are all committed Chorla takers . BHPians on the Mumbai-Pune-Goa thread could be having latest updates.

The first time I took this new Anmod road in April'16, I was already skeptical about its quality. But as you said, it has got its own advantage of being shorter and lesser traffic to deal with. Unless it gets horribly deteriorated and the journey happens to be a bone jarring one and it takes about 1+ hour for 25 kms or so, Anmod ghat route will continue to remain as a standard route to Goa.

One of my friends recently took the Chorla route and reported it to be in an excellent condition overall. The quality of Chorla road is simply unparalleled in this region. I have witnessed the meticulous work that was carried out during the construction of this otherwise abandoned road and thus the reason, though it is almost 4 years now for Chorla, it still continues to remain in a smooth condition. KRDCL guys have done a great job. Kudos to them

Last edited by vivek95 : 25th October 2016 at 21:11.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 21:41   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, is it ? I had last heard that the top layer of the road was coming off at some places giving rise to some small potholes. May be in the recent days, huge potholes have developed. I will try to get updates on this but I really doubt any of my sources are aware of the latest condition.
We will be driving to Colva, Goa on this Saturday morning. We plan to take Anmod route. Latest update would be helpful to plan for any diversion, if required. Since we have SUVs, we should be able to negotiate minor potholes.
Old 25th October 2016, 23:26   #3672
BHPian

I did BLR-Dharwar-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda-varca, 7th Oct too and 16 Oct fro, sorry for the late update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
6. When you get into Goa look out for nice stretches of new road disappearing into no roads all of a sudden. This happens in 3 places just after Mollem, just before Ponda and just before Panjim. The Ponda stretch isn't as bad as the other 2.
These are practically negligible for the overall fantastic route, so I will add my opinion here to ease them to "nothing to bother".

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, is it ? I had last heard that the top layer of the road was coming off at some places giving rise to some small potholes. May be in the recent days, huge potholes have developed.
Absolutely nothing to worry guys, just very few sharp turns of Anmod ghat have become rough, nothing more than that and nothing apart from that. The of-late relaid Ramnagar to Anmod NH4A tarmac remains all good.

Quote:
However, since I have been usually taking the Anmod option even when it was not repaired, I have preferred it mainly because of the "ease" to drive once you cross the Border into Goa to your destination as you don't face much local traffic.

This is the biggest advantage of Anmod route that helps you reach most of your destinations in South Goa faster.

The Karwar route although in good shape makes you drive along with dense traffic on NH17, mainly crossing Karwar and after entering Goa.
Quote:
But as you said, it has got its own advantage of being shorter and lesser traffic to deal with. Unless it gets horribly deteriorated and the journey happens to be a bone jarring one and it takes about 1+ hour for 25 kms or so, Anmod ghat route will continue to remain as a standard route to Goa.
Perfectly agree with Parag & Vivek on each of their views above, with my experience of having driven all three - Chorla, Karvar & Anmod - routes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
We will be driving to Colva, Goa on this Saturday morning. We plan to take Anmod route. Latest update would be helpful to plan for any diversion, if required. Since we have SUVs, we should be able to negotiate minor potholes.
Nothing to worry really, entire route is practically fantastic as of 9 days back.

Other findings/experiences to share for our knowledge bank:

Noticed a new Kamat and CCD attached to a petrol pump after bit of a drive post Kamat, Varur, on same side while southbound, couldn't recall the exact location. Noticed, a new CCD before Sira on drive-hand side while southbound. Both of these were perhaps not there last year around same time.

Tried buffet lunch at Dudhsagar Resort, Mollem, during onward journey. It was average at best.

Tried breakfast at Mysore cafe after Chitradurga. Food was fine. Service was ok. Toilet was maintained. Ample parking. Convenient to stop by and resume.

Stopped for bio break at Adithya midway plaza near Hiriyur, it is worth no more than bio break only

Stopped for a tea at Kamat Dabaspet on drive hand side while southbound. It is a fine pit stop, ample parking, large sitting areas, fast service, maintained restrooms, and bit better ambiance than other highway Kamats.
Throtttle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 20:51   #3673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Noticed a new Kamat and CCD attached to a petrol pump after bit of a drive post Kamat, Varur, on same side while southbound, couldn't recall the exact location. Noticed, a new CCD before Sira on drive-hand side while southbound. Both of these were perhaps not there last year around same time.
Yes, these CCDs are open since almost a year now.

The one you are referring after Varur is actually near Motebennur and towards Bangalore side.

Cross posting from the Bangalore-Pune thread where I had reported all the CCDs between Tumkur and Dharwad. The one you are referring to near Varur is No 3 in the list and the one near Sira is No 1 (both of these on Bangalore side):

Quote:
So, keeping only the Sira - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad Sector in mind, which is a distance of approximately 320 Kms, here are the Cafe Coffee Day outlets that should help travelers immensely from cleaner rest room perspective:
  1. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Sira Bypass, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 125 kms before Bangalore - Location

2. Cafe Coffee Day - Before Davanagere Bypass, Bangalore-Pune corridor, 265 kms from Bangalore - Location

3. Cafe Coffee Day - Between Motebennur & Ranebennur, Pune-Bangalore corridor, 315 kms before Bangalore - Location

4. Cafe Coffee Day - Shiggaon, Bangalore - Pune corridor, 360 Kms from Bangalore - Location

5. Cafe Coffee Day - Belur Industrial Estate, Dharwad, Bangalore - Pune corridor, 435 kms from Bangalore - Location
This list should be handy and applicable for Bangalore-Goa too

And you surely meant Athithya Midway Plaza didn't you? And no wonder I also share the same feedback as you did:

Quote:
This one has been there since at least 2 years now. At first it opened as a place mostly to serve private cars, looked at par with Kamats that we normally see on highways. Never visited as it was way too early for breakfast and situated on the opposite side if I was driving Mumbai or way too late if I was driving back home.

However, I ended up visiting this place during my drive to Goa in May and came back with mixed feeling - Good bits mostly to do with rest rooms although food was strictly OK since we stopped for evening snacks. The most basic Bonda Soup, something that is so synonymous with Hotels in Karnataka had Vada that was stale and a warm Sambhar and not really the soup that they serve along with this.

My better half went out to order some chat (They have counter for Chat outside and the person taking order inside service hall said we need to go there to order) and it was disastrous.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th October 2016 at 20:56.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:51   #3674
BHPian

Hi all, we are a 4-family group planning a trip to Goa in mid-Nov in 3 cars. Plan is to start from Bangalore at 4.00 am, our first self-drive to Goa from Bangalore.
1) Route being planned is the Bangalore-Dharwad-Anmod-Ponda-Panjim. Any update on the road condition? Anything to look out for?
2) With a 4 am start, can we target to reach Goa by around 1 pm by above route with sedate driving?
3) I have heard that the ghat sections after Anmod is very scenic with many water falls post monsoon. Family and kids are looking forward to this section. Any information on this for this season?
4) Since this is a family trip with spouses and kids, pl suggest good stop overs for food and bio breaks for the onward and return journey. Cleanliness of washrooms is a prerequisite. Our group is not a great fan of CCDs. So non-CCD suggestions are more preferred.

Thanks and Happy Diwali to all :-)
Old 28th October 2016, 11:33   #3675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
1) Route being planned is the Bangalore-Dharwad-Anmod-Ponda-Panjim. Any update on the road condition? Anything to look out for?
You will get your answers right above on this page. Please take a look.
Quote:
2) With a 4 am start, can we target to reach Goa by around 1 pm by above route with sedate driving?
Possible with sedate driving and breaks, especially during onward journey as you only have to break once for breakfast and may be once for refueling. However, Between 1-2PM is what you should look forward to.

Quote:
3) I have heard that the ghat sections after Anmod is very scenic with many water falls post monsoon. Family and kids are looking forward to this section. Any information on this for this season?
Not entirely true for Anmod Ghats. The best routes for enjoying waterfalls would be Chorla Ghats and Amboli Ghats but again, it must be during monsoon and not after monsoon when they are most beautiful. November is not at all a good time to expect waterfalls on these ghats. Here are few videos from my last drive in this region:

Amboli Falls:

For your destination Panjim, you can take Chorla Ghats which is 100% clean without any bad sections. Bangalore - Belgaum - Chorla - Sanquelim - Panjim. However, do note that Chorla is more twisty and narrower than Anmod.

Quote:
4) Since this is a family trip with spouses and kids, pl suggest good stop overs for food and bio breaks for the onward and return journey. Cleanliness of washrooms is a prerequisite. Our group is not a great fan of CCDs. So non-CCD suggestions are more preferred.
CCDs are listed above in previous posts. However, for Non-CCD options you are better off with Kamat as your best bet when on Bangalore-Pune highway (NH4).

Check this post for the complete list:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255

Additionally, Dudhsagar Resorts is a good option to stop by during onward for Buffet lunch and bio breaks - Not great but then this is the only (and good) choice around here after the ghats if you opt for Anmod route.

If you are taking the Chorla route, Belgaum has lost of options - Popular ones being - Sankam Residency and Ramdev Hotel right inside the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks