Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 07:52   #2971
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Plan Goa:
Start time: 5:30 AM from Bannerghatta Road (Thinking of a 3:00 AM start as well)

Route: NICE road - NH 4- Hubli - Ramnagar - Mollem - Ponda - Panjim - Candolim

All in order. But make it a 4AM start from home sharp. That would really help. 3AM is optimistic to start! 4AM is ideal so that you can be at Ranebennur by about 8 AM in time for a good break-fast after a nice drive of about 320/330km.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 09:19   #2972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route: NICE road - NH 4- Hubli - Ramnagar - Mollem - Ponda - Panjim - Candolim
Quote:
2. Apoorva Resorts ahead of Davangere (not sure)
This one comes before Davanagere bypass starts and is very well marked. May not be a good option to stop if you start at 3am since you will pass this at 6am and they may not even be open for breakfast.

Your best bet will be Kamat just before Ranebennur Bypass.

If you miss this, you have CCD at the end of Shiggaon Bypass and is again well marked and difficult to miss. (Do not enter Garuda restaurant attached to this CCD if you are thinking about food, they have gone bad now)

Quote:
1. COCO after Dharwad bypass
This one doesn't make sense since you will be exiting from Hubli-Dharwad bypass if you are taking the Alnavar-Ramnagar route. Best is to refill at Ranebennur BPCL COCO.

The COCO like you mention is after Dharwad bypass and comes almost exactly 8 kms from the end of the bypass and won't make sense.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 10:35   #2973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Breakfast options:
1. BP COCO after Ranebennur (319 kms, 4 hrs as per google)
2. Apoorva Resorts ahead of Davangere (not sure)
Lunch Options: Not sure (any recommendations?)
As Parag mentioned best food option for breakfast is Kamat which is located along Reliance fuel bunk just before Ranebennur bye-pass.

This place disappeared from Google maps sometime last year end, strangely now Kamat is displayed on opposite side of the road. The actual location is on left side when driving down from Bangalore in same compound as Reliance bunk. Location.

Past that and Ranebennur bye-pass is the BP COCO, it also has a restaurant along with it. We had stopped there once couple of years back for snacks and found food not that great.

For lunch you can try Dudhsagar Spa and resort at Mollem, this is couple of hundred meters before the GA vehicle entry and tax check-post on the left side. There are two fuel bunks on both sides of the road here, the right side one looked descent and saw few local vehicles filling up from there.

Dudhsagar resort

Food is average, but this can be used as a bio break if you are driving non stop since Rannebannur Kamat.

As Ampere suggested, it is best to start at or before 04.00 AM, getting stuck in extended weekend rush at Nelamangala toll will not be a pleasant start for your Goa trip
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 10:51   #2974
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually its easy to locate Kamat in the following manner-

- You pay the toll at Chalagere (95/-)

- You drive few kms ahead and soon you will spot a huge orangish colored building on the left with "Mahyco" (Hybrid Seeds manufacturing unit)

-As soon as you spot this building, start slowing down and remain on left and you will notice Reliance fuel station and attached to this is the Kamat

And it is indeed strange like Suhas mentions that Kamat appears on the opposite side on maps (never needed maps on NH4 at least for me that I paid attention) that I realised now.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th March 2015 at 11:04.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 19:36   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
All in order. But make it a 4AM start from home sharp. That would really help. 3AM is optimistic to start! 4AM is ideal so that you can be at Ranebennur by about 8 AM in time for a good break-fast after a nice drive of about 320/330km.
Thank you ampere. I need to inform Wifey that the plan is to start at 3 AM for a 4AM start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Your best bet will be Kamat just before Ranebennur Bypass.

If you miss this, you have CCD at the end of Shiggaon Bypass and is again well marked and difficult to miss. (Do not enter Garuda restaurant attached to this CCD if you are thinking about food, they have gone bad now)

This one doesn't make sense since you will be exiting from Hubli-Dharwad bypass if you are taking the Alnavar-Ramnagar route. Best is to refill at Ranebennur BPCL COCO.

The COCO like you mention is after Dharwad bypass and comes almost exactly 8 kms from the end of the bypass and won't make sense.
Thank you paragsachania.

I will stick to 4AM start and plan breakfast at this Kamat.

I will refill at Ranebennur BPCL COCO on my way to Goa. Can I use this on my way back as well?

Planning to Top-up at Betim Petrol Bunk in Goa and then refill at this same COCO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
As Parag mentioned best food option for breakfast is Kamat which is located along Reliance fuel bunk just before Ranebennur bye-pass.

The actual location is on left side when driving down from Bangalore in same compound as Reliance bunk.

Past that and Ranebennur bye-pass is the BP COCO, it also has a restaurant along with it. We had stopped there once couple of years back for snacks and found food not that great.

For lunch you can try Dudhsagar Spa and resort at Mollem, this is couple of hundred meters before the GA vehicle entry and tax check-post on the left side. There are two fuel bunks on both sides of the road here, the right side one looked descent and saw few local vehicles filling up from there.

Food is average, but this can be used as a bio break if you are driving non stop since Rannebannur Kamat.

As Ampere suggested, it is best to start at or before 04.00 AM, getting stuck in extended weekend rush at Nelamangala toll will not be a pleasant start for your Goa trip
Thanks again Suhas.

Breakfast @ Kamat before Ranebennur bye-pass
Refill @ Ranebennur BPCL COCO (Past Ranebennur bye-pass)
Lunch/Bio break @ Dudhsagar Spa and resort at Mollem

Getting stuck at tolls is the last thing I want on this getaway trip.

Quote:
Actually its easy to locate Kamat in the following manner-

- You pay the toll at Chalagere (95/-)

- You drive few kms ahead and soon you will spot a huge orangish colored building on the left with "Mahyco" (Hybrid Seeds manufacturing unit)

-As soon as you spot this building, start slowing down and remain on left and you will notice Reliance fuel station and attached to this is the Kamat
Thanks parag for the pointers.
Old 17th March 2015, 20:31   #2976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will refill at Ranebennur BPCL COCO on my way to Goa. Can I use this on my way back as well?
On your way back, refill at the COCO in Goa so that if needed, you can tank up again at BPCL COCO at Sira attached to Kamat (Left hand side) and might as well take a short break there.

In case you are planning to refill anywhere before this, there is a very reliable BPCL (not a COCO though) around 6 kms soon after the Haveri bypass starts. They accept cards as well.

In case you want to fill again at BPCL COCO, Renebennur, you will have to pass this on your right and make a U-Turn around 400 meters ahead and reach this place. When you head back, continue on the service lane itself (driving towards Bangalore) and join the highway back from the same break in the median where you took the U-Turn.

But in all probabilities, if you refill at Goa before return, you need to not have to worry anyway at least till Sira/Tumkur even if the range is 550 kms.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 00:37   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
On your way back, refill at the COCO in Goa so that if needed, you can tank up again at BPCL COCO at Sira attached to Kamat (Left hand side) and might as well take a short break there.

In case you are planning to refill anywhere before this, there is a very reliable BPCL (not a COCO though) around 6 kms soon after the Haveri bypass starts. They accept cards as well.

In case you want to fill again at BPCL COCO, Renebennur, you will have to pass this on your right and make a U-Turn around 400 meters ahead and reach this place. When you head back, continue on the service lane itself (driving towards Bangalore) and join the highway back from the same break in the median where you took the U-Turn.

But in all probabilities, if you refill at Goa before return, you need to not have to worry anyway at least till Sira/Tumkur even if the range is 550 kms.
Thank you paragsachania. This helps.

I am driving Ritz Diesel and the range is easily 650 kms. However, would not take any chances. I would refill in Goa and tank up again at BPCL COCO at Sira.
Old 18th March 2015, 07:33   #2978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you paragsachania. This helps.

I am driving Ritz Diesel and the range is easily 650 kms. However, would not take any chances. I would refill in Goa and tank up again at BPCL COCO at Sira.
For return, one usually starts late in the day. Say by around 10AM or so. In that case do note you may end up driving up late. Hope thats OK with you.

What I did in such a case was ended up visiting Gokarna and drove back to take a break for the day at Hubli. Drove back home the next day.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 08:50   #2979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For return, one usually starts late in the day. Say by around 10AM or so. In that case do note you may end up driving up late. Hope thats OK with you.
All my returns like you mention happened after 10AM only during the last 4 to 5 drives to Goa.

The latest one was 8th March where we started from Varca at 11AM and stopped for lunch at Kamat after Hubli at 2:30PM. We started from here at 3PM and took another break at Kamat, Sira for Snacks and Tea around 6PM.

After driving like how one drives on Bangalore's ORR along with weekenders and fighting our way out of every toll plaza, we were home (North Bangalore) at 8PM.

All this with good rains lasting an hour from Haveri beyond Davanagere.

So even a 11AM start with moderate speeds of 100-110 and ample breaks will take so much time, that's 9 hours.

The concern of "reaching late" should be more on a Sunday than a weekday due to sheer traffic that continue building up after Davanagere.

This should not at all be something to bother like Bangalore Mysore "Highway".
Old 18th March 2015, 17:09   #2980
BHPian

Thanks to all..this is a wonderful thread.

I am travelling to Goa next week from Bangalore and would be taking
BNG - Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Goa University (Destination).

This route is suggested by a local relative and choosing this since all roads seem to be good.

However, need advice on:-

1) Where to turn left (before Belgaum towards Chorla Ghat)
2) Lunch options near Chorla / Belgaum - as I would start by 4 AM from BNG
3) Return leg - Same route or any other?

I drive Ritz and travelling with family.
Old 18th March 2015, 17:17   #2981
BHPian

Quote:
Update on Khanapur Jamboti -

This 15 kms stretch that was in bad shape is now Fully done. So those wanting to head North Goa from Bangalore side, please take note.

You need not drive to Belgaum now. Take Alnavar (Goa road/Panaji exit) option from Hubli Bypass.

Drive past Alnavar and turn right for Khanapur. Drive from Khanapur to Jamboti which is 15 kms and from Jamboti continue towards Chorla.

Negatives about this road is just one - You can't break at Belgaum now and your last resort is either CCD at Shiggaon (360 kms) or Kamat before Hubli (380 kms).
Further to my query above; I read above post.
Is this the route I should take to go via Chorla Ghat to Goa university?
Old 18th March 2015, 17:28   #2982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
Further to my query above; I read above post.
Is this the route I should take to go via Chorla Ghat to Goa university?
I guess everything below will answer your queries. In short, the answer to this question is a YES. The Khanapur - Jamboti is an alternative to reach Chorla.

Quote:
The Khanapur-Jamboti Road is fully repaired now and is the best option to hit Chorla without even going to Belgaum and traversing through the city.

I am adding the URL for this route here.

Quote:
Very less barring one restaurant (Forgot the name) that you get just when Chorla Ghats starts. So, if Lunch is the primary reason then you better take Belgaum-Chorla instead of Khanapur Chorla option. With an early morning Start at 4AM, you have other option for lunch at Kamat which is around 380/400 Kms from Bangalore (depending on your starting point) and will take around 5.5-6 hours with sedate driving.

Otherwise, with a 4AM start, you can have lunch in Goa itself.

Quote:
I drove Hubli-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Mollem-Varca only 10 days back and the conditions are indeed good compared to last year.

Here is what I would like to add further:
  • Take the Belgaum-Chorla route if you are OK to traverse through the city and as well thinking of breaking here for lunch
  • With a 4AM start, you will be hitting Belgaum too early for Lunch
  • Take the Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur- Jamboti - Chorla option if you want to skip Belgaum altogether - This route is wonderful all the way now that even the 15 kms Khanapur-Jamboti is fully ready
  • Jamboti is the point that leads to Chorla whether you go Via Belgaum or Khanapur

More on NH4A as an alternate option (No Chorla here):
  • NH4A Via Mollem is again an excellent alternative with around 34 Kms of Patched surface but heavenly roads thereafter
  • This route has a Single carriageway tolled road soon after exiting Hubli Bypass all the way till Ramnagar
  • Ramnagar to Goa Border is what is a bit patchy but one can easily maintain 30-50 kmph on this stretch in any car
  • Post Goa border, all the way till destination the roads are fantastic
  • Roads are indeed wider compared to Chorla, less twisty too

Advantage Chorla Via Belgaum:
  • Belgaum is a very good option for Food break
  • The roads via Chorla are super good all the way without a bad patch anywhere

Advantage Chorla via Khanapur-Jamboti:
  • You don't have to drive to Belgaum, enter the city, traverse and exit towards Chorla road
  • The Khanapur-Jamboti stretch is now fully repaired and makes complete sense if anyone wants to take Chorla but still doesn't want to hit Belgaum

Fuel and Food:

Via Belgaum - Ramdev and Sankam and plenty of IOCL and BPCL Outlets and nothing after this for Fuel. For food you have a restaurant at the start of Chorla

Via Khanapur - Your best bet for food if you take this is Kamat before Hubli. After this there is only one BPCL Inside Khanapur Town but not good restaurants

Via NH4A - For this as well, the above is applicable and you are better with Kamat. Of course, you do get Dudhsagar Resorts & Spa just a few meters before the Goa Entry toll gate

Note - I have done all the 3 routes in the last 1 year with family (Wife and Kid).

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th March 2015 at 17:35.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 17:34   #2983
BHPian

Excellent info. It was super quick.
Thanks - I will stick to Khanapur - Chorla for now (may be lunch in GOA if I start on time from whitefield). Return leg - NH4A is a good alternative.
Old 18th March 2015, 17:40   #2984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent info. It was super quick.
Thanks - I will stick to Khanapur - Chorla for now (may be lunch in GOA if I start on time from whitefield). Return leg - NH4A is a good alternative.
  1. Take the Hubli bypass (You will have to pay the toll for complete bypass) and take the exit marked for "Alnavar" & "Panaji"
  2. This means, you will have to drive on the 2 lane bypass almost till the end (except the last 3-4 kms)
  3. Soon after you hit this SH, you will pass a toll booth where you pay 55
  4. You don't have to enter Alnavar town but rather pass this on your left
  5. After crossing Alnavar, you will get a fork where you need to turn right for Khanapur
  6. You will have to traverse Khanapur from South till north and follow one route (Sticking to the left when you get a fork) for Jamboti
  7. Khanapur-Jamboti is 15 kms, recently relaid narrow tar road without any ghats that you will do in 15 minutes
  8. At the end of this road (at Jamboti), you will invariably join the Chorla road that originated from Belgaum after which it is one road all the way
Old 18th March 2015, 17:52   #2985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For return, one usually starts late in the day. Say by around 10AM or so. In that case do note you may end up driving up late.
I guess including couple of breaks, door to door drive between Goa and Bangalore should be below 12 hours with a leisurely drive.

Unless, someone is stopping / taking a detour like your Gokarna trip I guess it is not required to have a night halt planned.

Since FastElegance is planning the trip on a weekday I guess it will not be much of an issue.

Quote:
BNG - Belgaum - Chorla Ghat - Goa University (Destination).

From map I am seeing location of Goa University near Dona Paula, in that case I guess taking Ramnagar -Molem route may be easier.

However, in case you are taking Chorla route it is better you take this route to reach towards Panaji than taking the Mapusa. I Felt roads were wider in this route.route.

For lunch you can try Sankum Residency at Belgaum. This is located at the turn towards Chorla. Do note that you need to get on to service road around half KM before this junction.

In case you are trying Chorla for onward journey, you can plan Molem route for return.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks