Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:54   #2446
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Visited Goa on 23rd November and returned back on 29th November.
Took Bangalore-Hubli-Karwar-Goa route and Mollem-Ramnagar-Dharwad-Bangalore rote for return.
Hubli karwar route is good throughout and with three halts (Kamat at Tumkur for breakfast, Kamat at Ranebennur for lunch and Kamat at Ankola for evening snacks) it took around 12 hours with average 20 min breaks. Also the Karawali festival at Karwar slowed us down due to de-tours in Karwar city. Total 675KM from HSR layout to my destination Quepem.

Return journey was not so cool. The potholes between Mollem and Ramnagar slowed us down drastically. Road is bad but drivable at slow speeds. Further Ramnagar it is good throughout. With average breaks of 40min at Kamat, Ranebennur for lunch, Kamat at Sira for evening snacks it took 11 hours. It measured 613KM to HSR layout.

Hubli route is great with additional 60-65KM driving.
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:20   #2447
BHPian

I am driving to Goa from Bangalore on Dec 10. The rough plan is to stay 1 night at Sirsi (cover Yana) and drive from Sirsi to Goa on 11th but driving through Murudeshwara, Gokarna, Karwar.

From Sirsi to Murudeshwara, I see the following routes on Google maps:
1) Sirsi - Kumta and drive south on NH17 to Murudeshwara, turn around and go back up north to Gokarna, Karwar and Goa.
2) Sirsi - Siddapur - Honnavar (NH206) and drive south on NH17 to Murudeshwara
3) Sirsi - Halagadikoppa - Bilgi - Honnavar (SH48, SH144 combo). I had seen this before on Google maps but now Google maps is showing a break on SH144 and hence not showing the route as an option. Does this exist?
4) Sirsi - Siddapur - Jog Falls - Bhatkal (SH50) and then drive north to Murudeshwara and onward.

I am keen on option 4 though it may take a bit longer than others. Second preference would be 3 if the road does exist and is decent, followed by options 2 and 1 in that order.

Please help with your suggestions and route conditions.
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:40   #2448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
4) Sirsi - Siddapur - Jog Falls - Bhatkal (SH50) and then drive north to Murudeshwara and onward.
I won't advice SH50. The roads are not that great and its quite desolate. And also Jog is not at its best. So may be going to Jog would not be a good idea. Take the road to Kumta. That is the easiest.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:19   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I won't advice SH50. The roads are not that great and its quite desolate. And also Jog is not at its best. So may be going to Jog would not be a good idea. Take the road to Kumta. That is the easiest.
Well, that rules out SH50 then. Agree with you on Jog. Jog was anyway not a destination but just mentioned to indicate the route. How is the NH17 stretch between Kumta and Murudeshwara? I was thinking it will be painful to do that stretch both ways but then I have no hurry and can take it easy, I guess.
Old 3rd December 2013, 23:05   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
How is the NH17 stretch between Kumta and Murudeshwara? I was thinking it will be painful to do that stretch both ways but then I have no hurry and can take it easy, I guess.
Kumta to Murudeshwara road is a joy to drive. I was on that route last week. It is about 50 Kms ( Kumta to Honnavar about 20 and from there another 30 to Murudeshwar). can be covered in under 1 hour easy drive

While coming from Bangalore towards Goa via Hubli-kalghatgi-yellapur-Ankola-Karwar, the Yellapur road is of course good to drive. but at a place after Yellapur towards Ankola, there is a place Idgundi and from there if you take right you come in SH6 via Mavinamane-Kadra reservoir-Virje-karwar. This road is about 94 Kms and is 6 Kms longer than the first mentioned normal route taken by all. I heard this is a single road, well maintained and passes through deep jungle with Kali river on your right.
I am thinking of exploring this road next time I ride this side (very soon ).
has any one tried this road? Any info is appreciated.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th December 2013 at 08:12.
Old 8th December 2013, 12:27   #2451
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2013 at 23:08.
bsdbsd is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2013, 17:09   #2452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am driving to Goa from Bangalore on Dec 10. The rough plan is to stay 1 night at Sirsi (cover Yana) and drive from Sirsi to Goa on 11th but driving through Murudeshwara, Gokarna, Karwar.

From Sirsi to Murudeshwara, I see the following routes on Google maps:
1) Sirsi - Kumta and drive south on NH17 to Murudeshwara, turn around and go back up north to Gokarna, Karwar and Goa.
2) Sirsi - Siddapur - Honnavar (NH206) and drive south on NH17 to Murudeshwara
3) Sirsi - Halagadikoppa - Bilgi - Honnavar (SH48, SH144 combo). I had seen this before on Google maps but now Google maps is showing a break on SH144 and hence not showing the route as an option. Does this exist?

I am keen on option 4 though it may take a bit longer than others. Second preference would be 3 if the road does exist and is decent, followed by options 2 and 1 in that order.

Please help with your suggestions and route conditions.

I drove from Sirsi to Goa a couple of weeks back.

My route was Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar - Goa. Roads are good throughout. Sirsi - Kumta is also in great shape. My destination was Cavellosim (South Goa). I completed the journey in about 4 hrs, which included a half hour lunch break.

I then had some work in Belgaum and took the Cholra route to Belgaum. Wow, what a drive that was!
Old 9th December 2013, 20:13   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I drove from Sirsi to Goa a couple of weeks back.
Any idea on latest condition of the Haveri-Sirsi road? I drove on that road 3 years back and the road was not good.
In my next trip to Goa I want to try this route.
Old 9th December 2013, 21:29   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang

Any idea on latest condition of the Haveri-Sirsi road? I drove on that road 3 years back and the road was not good.
In my next trip to Goa I want to try this route.
Haveri to Sirsi is about 75 kms. The first 30 odd kms upto Hanagal is not so good. They have patched up the big potholes recently , but its not a pleasant drive. You can average about 40 to 45 kph on this stretch . Post Hanagal the road is very good. Smooth tarmac + sparse traffic.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 11:25   #2455
BHPian

tarique2002i's Goa travelogue suggest Bankapur-Yellapur road. I am leaving to Goa during last week of December. He says, the roads are quite ok, and some bad sections can be ignored. Has anyone else tried this route? I plan to take this new route this time. Please advise.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 13th December 2013 at 11:33. Reason: typo
Old 13th December 2013, 12:35   #2456
BHPian

@bsdbsd: I would recommend the tumkur - hubli and then the left from Hubli towards Karwar and then Goa. Roads are pretty decent and gives you a pleasure to drive. Overall 700 Kms.
audiophile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 12:42   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
@bsdbsd: I would recommend the tumkur - hubli and then the left from Hubli towards Karwar and then Goa. Roads are pretty decent and gives you a pleasure to drive. Overall 700 Kms.
I believe bsdbsd is taking the same route, the NH4. But instead of touching Hubli, he intends to take a diversion at Bankapur to Yellapur ( that is the Hubli-karwar route you are mentioning). Bankapur to Yellapur is via Lakkikoppa-Mundgod-Gunjavathi and it is suppose to reduce the driving time by 1 hour (and distance is also shorter relatively)as you are bypassing Hubli and Kalghatgi altogether.

The Bankapur diversion will save you 60 Kms / 1 Hour of driving time. ( Via Hubli to Yellapur = 129 Kms and via Bankapur it is 69 Kms to Yellapur)

I intend to take this route next time very soon

@bsdbsd: If you driving in day time, after passing through the Bankapur-Yellapur road, why dont you try the Idgundi-kadra reservoir-karwar route?? we have had a chat or two in this thread about that route. from Yellapur, it is about 9 Kms towards Ankola, that you get Idgundi. take a right there to Karwar. ( it is about 93 Kms from there in this route, about 7 Kms longer than the Ankola route) and let us know how the road is??

Last edited by ashkamath : 13th December 2013 at 12:59.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 10:37   #2458
BHPian

Thanks ashkamath. You got my requirements right. I am traveling next Tuesday. As I would be driving a Honda City (with W+2Kids), I am worried about the ground clearances and potholes to avoid under body damage. I want to play safe, but I am also ready to take a chance on the Bankapur route, as it has the potential to save an hour. I dont see members discussing much about this route, leave alone the Idgundi route. I will first ascertain if Bankapur is drive-able and let you all know.
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:34   #2459
BHPian

I have driven Bankapur route once . This is not suggested as the roads are certainly not that great . Very bad roads and this goes through dense jungles . This road is not at all safe if to be driven in the evenings

Do not look for to save 1 Hr . Its better to go via Hubli bye pass and connect to Karwar . Many have not taken the extent of traffic from Karwar to Goa . We need to climb Ghat section to Goa and this is a single road . As we move in , there is a lot of traffic from South Goa to North Goa.

Last edited by Ranga : 23rd December 2013 at 15:45.
Old 24th December 2013, 12:59   #2460
BHPian

Just back from goa, if one is visiting north part of goa this route is a must as roads aside from 5 kms near jamboti all roads are excellent

Route we took was

NH 4 till Kittur (Tumgeri) and then turn towards jamboti on state highway and hit chorla ghats, chorla road has been relaid recently and are fabulous

attached is the maps screen shot and seems shortest to vagator,where we stayed distance measured in my vehicle is 609kms from bangaore and on google maps its says 607

P.S ON google maps destination to add are
BAngalore- tumgeri- chorla - vagator( any destination in north goa)
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-banaglore-goa.jpg  

Last edited by raj.barcode : 24th December 2013 at 13:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks