Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 21:22   #2431
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I took the route through the Mollem checkpost two weeks ago. The roads are horrendous. It seems to be a popular route with mining trucks. We were lucky to be in a high GC-vehicle.

While coming back, we decided to cross the border by first passing through Bicholim-Sanquelim areas, this was much better and the extra ~100km was entirely worth it in terms of not tiring us like it did on those bad roads on our way into Goa.
Old 9th November 2013, 09:41   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I took the route through the Mollem checkpost two weeks ago. The roads are horrendous. It seems to be a popular route with mining trucks. We were lucky to be in a high GC-vehicle.

While coming back, we decided to cross the border by first passing through Bicholim-Sanquelim areas, this was much better and the extra ~100km was entirely worth it in terms of not tiring us like it did on those bad roads on our way into Goa.
Quite sad, we did this route in July and it was decent and motorable. Further we did not find any mining trucks enroute. Probably monsoons have played havoc.
sureshurs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 21:31   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I can take the Dharwad-Mollem route. Last time when I travelled in April it was fantastic and measured perfect 610km from HSR layout to Quepem (my destination). Now due to my very young daughter, I will take Hubli-Ankola route which I feel will add a nice 60-70 extra KMs but may be worth for not to have tough travel times.
All post talk about high GC vehicles... now that is quite right. Neither my Santro will be able to deal with deep potholes nor I want to test it. Not sure about the mining truck status (I think mining is no longer happening) so I feel I will stick with my original Hubli-Ankola route.
Thanks to all for these recommendations.
Old 13th November 2013, 07:24   #2434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Not sure if I can take the Dharwad-Mollem route. Last time when I travelled in April it was fantastic and measured perfect 610km from HSR layout to Quepem (my destination). Now due to my very young daughter, I will take Hubli-Ankola route which
I see in Google that, Qupem is to the south of Madgaon. If thats the case, Hubli/Ankola option anyway would make sense.
Old 13th November 2013, 23:22   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any reasons for starting by noon ? Because if you can start by morning, you should be able to pull up to Hubli. You get much options for stay rather than Chitradurga.
Hi Ampere,

I will now be able to leave Chennai on Friday morning by about 9 clock. Can you (or anyone else) recommend a Budget hotel to stay the night at Hubli? The closer to the Highway, the better!

Thanks!
Varun
Old 14th November 2013, 00:07   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Hi Ampere,

I will now be able to leave Chennai on Friday morning by about 9 clock. Can you (or anyone else) recommend a Budget hotel to stay the night at Hubli? The closer to the Highway, the better!

Thanks!
Varun
You can try the Kamat Yatrinivas which is bang on the highway. Good food too!
http://kamatyatri.in/roomlisting/hot...s-dharwad.html
Old 14th November 2013, 11:05   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Can you (or anyone else) recommend a Budget hotel to stay the night at Hubli? The closer to the Highway, the better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
You can try the Kamat Yatrinivas which is bang on the highway. Good food too!
http://kamatyatri.in/roomlisting/hot...s-dharwad.html
Is Kamat on Hubli Dharwad old NH4 or on the new GQ NH4 Bye-Pass?

1) Kamat Yatri Nivas, SDM Medical College Campus, Manjushree Nagar, Sattur, Dharwad Hubli Road ; 0836 246 1161 / 096 866 97775 ;

2) Hoysala Hotel, Court Circle, PB Road, Opposite Kittel College, Dharwad ; 0836 244 5627 / 5629 ; Not on the highway but highly rated by HVK.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 11:49   #2438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Is Kamat on Hubli Dharwad old NH4 or on the new GQ NH4 Bye-Pass?
There is none on the bypass for sure. That much I can confirm. The are two basic Kamat hotels (restaurants) one before the GQ bypass and one after. I have no idea about Yatri Nivas. That I think should be more into the city.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 13:09   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian

Yatrinivas, with lodging is between Hubli & Dharwad, on the old road (thru the city).

If any one wants to get to this place, then one easy way is to continue on the by-pass, take the Kalghatgi road exit towards Dharwad city. Once you get to the old highway, take a right and go towards Hubli. This will help avoid going into the slightly narrow & crowded Hubli city.

@misguidedmissile:
if you stay at Yatrinivas, then on the day you are leaving, one option is to just head northwards on the old NH-4 into Dharwad & continue towards Belgaum.

Remember to not exceed 50 kmph till you reach the highway, or at least till you cross Dharwad city. applicable even at 6.30 am

Last edited by condor : 14th November 2013 at 13:13.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 20:19   #2440
BHPian

Guys sorry for the late response!

As @Condor mentioned it is in the old Hubli-Dharwad highway. It is a pain to pass through Hubli town(but better than Blore anyday!) and hence would make sense to go via Kalghatgi road exit as pointed out.

I've stayed at the Hans Hotel in Hubli and found it very good too. For this, you need to get into Hubli city. The tariff though listed high, can be negotiated around 3000INR incl tax.
Kamat will work out a little cheaper as they have non A/c rooms for around 2000INR incl tax.
Old 15th November 2013, 19:01   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yatrinivas, with lodging is between Hubli & Dharwad, on the old road (thru the city). If any one wants to get to this place, then one easy way is to continue on the by-pass, take the Kalghatgi road exit towards Dharwad city. Once you get to the old highway, take a right and go towards Hubli. This will help avoid going into the slightly narrow & crowded Hubli city. @misguidedmissile: if you stay at Yatrinivas, then on the day you are leaving, one option is to just head northwards on the old NH-4 into Dharwad & continue towards Belgaum. Remember to not exceed 50 kmph till you reach the highway, or at least till you cross Dharwad city. applicable even at 6.30 am
I will be staying at yatri Nivas. Can someone please tell me the landmark of this kalghatgi road exit?

Thanks!
Varun
Old 15th November 2013, 19:46   #2442
BHPian

Quote:
I will be staying at yatri Nivas. Can someone please tell me the landmark of this kalghatgi road exit?

Thanks!
Varun
Sorry but I went through the Hubli city and hence cannot guide you on this.
@Condor could be of help here.
Old 15th November 2013, 20:51   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Sorry but I went through the Hubli city and hence cannot guide you on this. @Condor could be of help here.
Thanks! I just opened up Google Maps and it directed me correctly to the exit.

Cheers,
Varun
misguidedmisile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 21:11   #2444
BHPian

Guys, I and 3 of my friends just completed a road trip from Chennai to Goa on 4 bikes and here is the route update.

Onward journey:

Chennai - Vellore - Hosur - NICE road -Tumkur - Tiptur - Kadur – Shimoga (stay for the night) - Thirthahalli -Agumbe - Kundapura - Murudeshwara - Karwar - Panjim - Baga.

Chennai to Tumkur via vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - NICE road is excellent. I was surprised when we were asked to pay toll fee of Rs. 60 to take the NICE road. (Bikers beware)

First 10-15 odd km from Tumkur to Tiptur via Gubbi is in bad condition with potholes and the remaining route till Shimoga is ok albeit with potholes.

Shimoga to Thirthahalli is excellent and is a beautiful route through the forest and Ghats, Heaven for bikers.

Roads in and around Agumbe is nonexistent and it takes time to descend the hill (BTW Agumbe was a total disappointment for us lot, there is nothing much to see unless one steps into the forest.)

Again Agumbe to Kundapura is ok.

Stretch from Kundapura to Bhatkal is in worse condition and you will find patches of roads in between the potholes and every car that I saw scrapped the rocks. Even truckers had to slow down completely.

Murundeshwara to Goa roads are good/excellent.

Return Journey

Baga – Ponda – Molem – Londa - Hubli (bye-pass) – Haveri – Davangere – Sira – T Dasarahalli (stay for the night) – NICE road – Hosur – Vellore - Chennai

Baga to Molem the roads are good and stretch between Molem and Londa is bad. The roads get better after crossing over to KA border and the roads are excellent after the border.

From Hubli till Chennai, the roads are excellent. There are some minor construction/repair works being undertaken in Hosur.

Overall a great experience.
Old 25th November 2013, 22:13   #2445
BHPian

Just came back from Goa last Saturday. We took the Molem-Londa-Hubli road while coming back. As Others pointed out, roads between Molem and Ram Nagar is utter pathetic now.

Roads from Dhardwad bypass to Hubli was 4 lane. 6 lanes road starts somewhere after Hubli. It was pleasure to drive on the newly laid 6 lane roads. Butter smooth.

On the whole, it took 9 hours for us to reach Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks