Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 14:13   #2296
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have to drive down from Bangalore to Goa (South) tomorrow.
I am also driving to South Goa Tomorrow. Will be taking the Dharwad - Alnavar route as it is the shortest. Planning to start at 5:00 AM.
Old 5th September 2013, 14:23   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I guess you are referring to the Bankapur-Mundgod road-not worth it.Go via Hubli-Yellapur.No savings in time or road conditions via the "shortcut"
Thanks will stick the main road it makes sense.
Also with the recent rains the roads would be pretty bad on that stretch .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I am also driving to South Goa Tomorrow. Will be taking the Dharwad - Alnavar route as it is the shortest. Planning to start at 5:00 AM.
I've taken the Hubli > Karwar > Margao route last year and found the roads to be in excellent condition. Thats the reason prefer this route even though its a bit longer. Its quite scenic also. We usually stop at Karwar and have lunch in a park adjoining the beach. (we carry our own food)

Another 30min stopover usually is at Paloleum beach at Canacona.

Not sure how is Dharward - Alnavar. Does it pass through the Londa ghats ? cause I heard those roads are very bad.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th September 2013 at 11:12. Reason: back to back posts. Please refrain
Old 5th September 2013, 14:47   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I've taken the Hubli > Karwar > Margao route last year and found the roads to be in excellent condition. Thats the reason prefer this route even though its a bit longer. Its quite scenic also. We usually stop at Karwar and have lunch in a park adjoining the beach. (we carry our own food)

Another 30min stopover usually is at Paloleum beach at Canacona.

Not sure how is Dharward - Alnavar. Does it pass through the Londa ghats ? cause I heard those roads are very bad.
I also took the Karwar - Hubli route while returning last year from Goa. Wanted to try a different route. Please see few posts above in this thread and people recommend the following routes.

1. Alnavar Exit -Alnavar-Ramnagar (Deviate to Khanapur)- Khanapur-Turn left-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim

2. Alnavar Exit -Alnavar-Ramnagar-Mollem - Ponda

Both the routes are scenic.
Route 1 is in very good condition. Route 2 has some patchy sections but can be managed. Route 2 is shorter.

Last edited by pramodpk : 5th September 2013 at 14:48.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:02   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ammanna View Post
Folks, for the Aug 15th long weekend, i took advice from friends here and drove to north goa via Hubli, Dharwad, Ramnagar, Anmod Ghat, Ponda and Panjim.

Left JP Nagar at 5am via BSK ring rd, breakfast at Chitradurga and hit Hubli bypass at 10am. Was able to cover this distance in good time considering we were able to beat the morning rush and great roads ofcourse.

From then on it was a bit slow due to smaller roads and constant rains.. took left turn onto Panjim road from Dharwad bypass. This road is newly done so is good to drive on but for some pending work in between. We reached Panjim at 2pm with a total travel time of 9hrs. The ghat road is slightly bad in patches but overall this is a good road to take and the shortest to reach Panjim from Bangalore.
Hi could you please elaborate on this road. where exactly you took left turn to panjim. if yu could point it out on google maps it would be better.
regards
Old 5th September 2013, 15:07   #2300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi could you please elaborate on this road. where exactly you took left turn to panjim. if yu could point it out on google maps it would be better.
regards
Thats the road to Alnavar which then goes to Ramnagar. On the Hubli-Dharwad bypass this road is clearly marked as an exit to Goa.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:19   #2301
BHPian

Drove on 15th Aug and back on 18th Aug.

Awesome drive to say the least. Splendid break , almost a private beach at Colva.

Made the initial mistake of taking Yeswanthpur road instead of Nice road, and paid a frustrating price of losing an hour and half in traffic. Finally managed to get out of Yeshwanthpur at 8am .

Ate at Kamat before Tumkur. Buffet @ 120 bucks was too good, and fast and saved a lot of time.

Till Hubli its an absolute Bliss. Thats the standard of road we deserve for paying these herculean taxes. 6 lane roads and i didnt mind the odd idiot coming on the wrong way.

Take diversion to Karwar road at Gabbur. Do not enter Hubli.

Hubli Byepass-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar is narrow but manageable as the roads are decent and not much of traffic. Dont miss the view of the beach just after the karwar naval base. Late lunch at Karwar, all hotels close at 3pm. Beware.

Karwar-Colva through the goan roads reminded me of narrow kerala roads. Greenery all around but slow traffic, and no way to move ahead. Reached the resort in time for a late evening tea.

Took the same route back too. 10.5 hours drive.

The road map attached. Will attach some snaps of the place as soon as i fight my procrastination bug
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa-route.jpg  

Old 7th September 2013, 14:55   #2302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Made the initial mistake of taking Yeswanthpur road instead of Nice road, and paid a frustrating price of losing an hour and half in traffic. Finally managed to get out of Yeshwanthpur at 8am .
Did you drive through the city? Or the ORR ? If not the ORR, I would surely recommend it for morning drives for NH4. Thanks to @condor I really "found" this route. ORR now has a clean underpass at Mysore road and all the major roads. So the ride is relatively hassle free (and also toll free!). A couple of construction points and thats it. You directly arrive at the point where the tolled road to Nelamangala originates. (Off course thats to be taken if you are coming from South Bangalore). If north Bangalore nothing beats Yelahanka-Doddaballpur-Dobbaspet. If white field, BIAL Road-Devanahalli-Doddaballpur-Dobbaspet.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:57   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Goa on Sep 6th and back on Sep 9th.

Started at 5:00 AM from home (near ITPL) and reached Beleza by the beach near Colva at 2:23 PM.

Total distance - 615 KMS.
Total Time - 9 hours 23 mins
Total Driving time - 8 hours 35 mins.

Route taken - Bangalore - Tumkur- Chitradurga - Hubli -Alnawar exit - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Betalbatim (near Colva)

Started at 5:00 AM and stopped from breakfast at Kamat Ranibennur at 8:45 AM. Exited NH 4 at the Alnawar exit at 11:10 AM (456 KMS). Reached the resort at 2:23 PM.

Road condition.

Worst roads were inside Bangalore city!
Intially thought of taking Chorla route but few posts in this thread suggested that NH 4A is not that bad. Hence took that route because it is shorter.
NH 4A has some craters between Ramnagar and Anmod. The ghat is patchy but inside Goa, NH 4A is in good condition. Traffic is very less. The SH 34 from Alnawar exit has some incomplete sections but the completed sections are really good and is an enthusiast's delight. The fact that I could cover 159 KMS in 3 hours 13 minutes (covered the same distance in 2 hours 50 mins in the return journey) indicates that the road is not that bad.

Started from the resort at 9:30 AM from the resort and stopped for fuel before the fee collection booth at 10:28 AM (around 52 KMS). Entered NH 4 at 12:20 PM. Stopped for lunch at Kamat after Hubli from 12:54 PM to 1:28 PM. Reached home at 6:35 PM with a petrol break in between. Could cover 295 KMs in 3 hours (including fuel break). Bangalore roads were surprisingly empty and thus could reach home in 1 hour from Yeswanthpur.

Roads in Bangalore city is deteriorating day by day. Could not find any decent stretch.
Old 10th September 2013, 17:45   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you drive through the city? Or the ORR ? .
I had to pick someone from HAL. Drove into OMR and then to Y'pur. A mistake well learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
reached Beleza by the beach near Colva at 2:23 PM.

Stayed at the same place on my trip for Independence day week end. Loved the almost private beach access it gave. They had spacious rooms, but we spent most time between the beach and Mickeys next door. I rate Mickeys better than Martins which is supposed to be a "must visit" .
Old 10th September 2013, 20:10   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If north Bangalore nothing beats Yelahanka-Doddaballpur-Dobbaspet. If white field, BIAL Road-Devanahalli-Doddaballpur-Dobbaspet.
I have tried the same route several times during the horrid state of Nelamangala-Bangalore section when it was undergoing expansion work and was a boon and still remains.

However now, since I stay in Vidyaranyapura and NBTPL is fully operational, I prefer taking the HMT Watch Factory road, reach ORR Junction at Goreguntepalya and make U-Turn and climb the NBTPL Elevated road soon after that U-Turn.

In terms of timings, this option is definitely faster than the Doddaballapura-Dabaspet route any day unless you are driving after 7am on a typical long weekend and get stuck at 2 toll booths (NBTPL & Jass Toll, Nelamangala).

The HMT route also passes over the Railway track through a bridge which you will otherwise get stuck on ORR if there is a train passing by.

Having said that, in the last week itself, the HMT road, specifically in front of Platinum city is in the worst shape due to incessant rains. I took the same last Saturday evening and decided not to return by the same route and instead took the Hesarghatta (8th Mile) road to reach my home.

I am sure in days to come, this road will again get relaid (as usual) to call it as a excellent alternative to ORR.

The same route can also be taken for anyone reaching Hebbal and you will just have to turn right at BEL Circle.

Unless you are in Yelahanka, Jakkur, Amruthalli areas, the HMT road is a viable route to escape.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th September 2013 at 20:14.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 20:27   #2306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have tried the same route several times during the horrid state of Nelamangala-Bangalore section when it was undergoing expansion work and was a boon and still remains.
I hope they finish that under pass at IISc circle soon. Thats the biggest bottleneck for this whole issue. But it does not look any where near completion!
Old 11th September 2013, 08:45   #2307
BHPian

Completed my drive last weekend Left on Friday morning , Back on Monday.

Took Nice Road > Tumkur > Hubli > Yellapura > Karwar > Madgao.
Though slightly longer than the Alnavar Exit -Alnavar-Ramnagar-Mollem - Ponda route, this one is very scenic with good roads all throughout.

For those driving down for the 1st time, you can broadly divide the entire trip into 3 stages (based on the road and landscape)

Stage 1
Bangalore > Hubli.
Excellent 3 lane Highway, you can go as fast as you can push it of course keeping in mind the occasional nut case coming on the wrong side and cows / sheep crossing the road.

Pic of some wind turbine blades being transported near Chitradurga, Not many roads can take these kind of sizes.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-windturbine.jpg

Stage 2
Hubli > Karwar
Again good road, very scenic it starts off with beautiful fields, then changes into a forest cover.

Pic taken a few KM off Hubli towards Karwar.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-ankola.jpg

Stage 3
Karwar > Goa

Winding roads with equally good view points. This one has the sea on your left side. The roads winds through some hills.

This pic was taken standing on the road just after the Karwar Port.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-boat.jpg

Finally reached Goa
Inside Goa came across the locals taking this Fighter Buffalo bull.
They have these un-organized local bull fights.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-buffalo.jpg
Old 12th September 2013, 12:40   #2308

I heard that there is a coastal route from Bangalore to Goa which is part of the Golden Quadrilateral where roads are really good. Does anybody know this route and can give details
Old 12th September 2013, 20:27   #2309
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodh View Post
I heard that there is a coastal route from Bangalore to Goa which is part of the Golden Quadrilateral where roads are really good. Does anybody know this route and can give details
Bangalore is not on the coastline The coastal route for Goa should be NH17/NH66 that extends between Mumbai and Kochi. To travel on this from Bangalore, you could do Bangalore-Mangalore-Goa. I don't think the NH17 is part of the Golden Quadrilateral - link

Last edited by NPV : 12th September 2013 at 20:32.
Old 16th September 2013, 13:54   #2310

Travelled to goa on the 9th Aug and returned 17th August 2013 Tumkur-Chitradurga -Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Varca lovely Road except for the ghat section on entering Goa started @ 5:30 am Reached Goa @ 3:30pm use google maps and took the same route back , one suggestion is to carry food and water as their are no proper eateries enroute except for the Kamat's ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks