Old 17th April 2012, 22:31   #1832
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Here are some hotels for an overnight stay (if tired) I have saved:
Goa Drive Hotel - Google Maps
Old 18th April 2012, 12:00   #1833
Distinguished - BHPian

ATTENTION ! Anyone travelling towards Hubli, please watch out for road conditions between Haveri and Hubli.

The road looks fine, but left lane is dangerous in some places. The road surface in these sections is un-even and soft, and is not safe for both high speeds or for braking. You will lose traction when doing either these - speeding or braking. Both can be extra dangerous if you try to overtake (a slower vehicle) from the left (as we normally do on highways).

How to identify these sections ? Un-even road surfaces.

Remain on the right in these sections.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:33   #1834

Hello People,

Heading to Goa on Saturday - usual 0400 departure - but this time to Dona Paola in Panjim instead of Varca.

I have always taken the route via Ankola-Karwar as it was scenic and logical however, just looking at a map seems now to suggest otherwise.

Is the route via Dharwad REALLY all that bad ?

Is the concensus and suggestion to remain with the tried and true via Ankola even if a heck of a lot more in Km ?

Salut !
Arjun

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please refrain from mentioning alcohol in your posts, either directly or indirectly. Read our posting rules carefully before proceeding, especially Rule#11.

Last edited by noopster : 26th April 2012 at 11:39. Reason: Refer Mod Note in post
ArjunVS is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th April 2012, 12:55   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunVS View Post
I have always taken the route via Ankola-Karwar as it was scenic and logical however, just looking at a map seems now to suggest otherwise.

Yes Dharwad-NH4A 4 laning is not yet complete and the existing road is not reccomended.Once the 4laned route is open it would be good to go atleast until Khanapur.But the section between Londa & Mollem would still be suspect.

Stick to the NH63-Ankola-Karwar route.If you want to try a different route,you can go via Belgaum-Amboli-NH17 at Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Panjim
Old 26th April 2012, 14:33   #1836
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunVS View Post
This route and the ones around Anshi ghats have not changed their pathetic status since times in memorial!
Unless you want to see the Kali river around Ganeshgudi and places around Dandeli, their is no reason to take this route to Goa.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 15:17   #1837
BHPian

I live and work in Mangalore and wife in Bangalore. We will be attending her brother's wedding in Goa on the last week of next month. However we plan to drive from Bangalore to Goa as she has 3 dogs and transporting them by car should be the best bet. She has an A-Star and I have a Chevy Beat. However I plan to travel by bus to Bangalore and we drive to Goa from there in her car.

What I am thinking is that we drive to Mangalore and take a small break and then head to Goa as the road conditions would be good whereas Bangalore to Goa via Hubli would be a struggle as we have pets on board and I'm sure no hotels there would accept pets for stay.

What do you guys think? Also to add, I've not driven to either direction ever so this will be my first trip however I did a 350kms (up & down) trip Mangalore - Murudeshwar last week so I am all warmed up

Last edited by alstonlobo : 26th April 2012 at 15:20.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:41   #1838
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
What I am thinking is that we drive to Mangalore and take a small break and then head to Goa as the road conditions would be good whereas Bangalore to Goa via Hubli would be a struggle as we have pets on board and I'm sure no hotels there would accept pets for stay.
Bison River Resort, Dandeli does allow pets to be brought in, as long as they are not causing any problem to other guests. You can call them and try here, since it is close to Hubli.
Bison River Resort Dandeli

Quote:
What do you guys think? Also to add, I've not driven to either direction ever so this will be my first trip however I did a 350kms (up & down) trip Mangalore - Murudeshwar last week so I am all warmed up
Good luck with the trip. I recently did a Goa > Udupi > Agumbe > chikmagalur > Bangalore drive in a single day and the roads were good throughout the Udupi-to-Goa stretch. It might be a little hot so make sure your canine buddies are well hydrated for the journey
Old 26th April 2012, 18:42   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Bison River Resort, Dandeli does allow pets to be brought in, as long as they are not causing any problem to other guests. You can call them and try here, since it is close to Hubli.
Bison River Resort Dandeli
Thanks, I had a look at the google map route and it looks like we'll be 90% near to Goa if we decide to stay over at Bison Resort so does not look worth the trouble after all.
Old 27th April 2012, 12:30   #1840

Dear BHP and the forum,

I stand chastised for breaking a rule of the forum - which appears to be a cardinal rule - and while I can only claim it was light-hearted banter and an ignorance of the matter - I do not mean to justify it - and do herewith apologise.

Many thanks however to the respondents to my querry - and if anyone is also on the way to Goa - happy driving !

Salut
Arjun :(
Old 29th April 2012, 12:53   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes Dharwad-NH4A 4 laning is not yet complete and the existing road is not reccomended.Once the 4laned route is open it would be good to go atleast until Khanapur.But the section between Londa & Mollem would still be suspect.

Stick to the NH63-Ankola-Karwar route.If you want to try a different route,you can go via Belgaum-Amboli-NH17 at Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Panjim
I just did the Bangalore Goa through Hubli. Before entering Hubli, take the hubli-dharwar bye-pass and enter Dharwar to go to Haliyal. From Haliyal to Ganeshgudi to Londa are excellent roads. From Londa until the Goa border, you will find some bad stretches and again excellent roads all the way up to Panaji. Not much of a deviation too and preferable especially if you are staying somewhere in north Goa.
Old 1st May 2012, 16:32   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Guys Need some help planning Bangalore-Goa trip(Visiting temples in Ponda)
I have been postponing this trip since so long due to various reasons(mainly because of lack of train connectivity) and driving 650+ km in single day seems to be hectic (because of parents and a toddler along)

Then i see alot of people starting at 4AM and reaching Goa by evening. I feel even i can pull something like this provided i am driving with group of friends. Since i will be the single driver, i am having double thoughts

These are the options i can think of(Did not consider bus because my parents have issues travelling overnight by bus)
1. Start early and reach goa by evening - Hectic and not sure how the people like it sitting for 12-14 hrs in a car
2. Start on an evening from bangalore, Take a break midway(Hubli?? suggest options) and then start next morning to split the journey.
3. Travel by train and spend that extra bucks on Local taxis(tough because of lack of train options)

Then there are other minor problems -

I drive a petrol Swift, so there is no way i can reach Goa in single tank.

I would like to make full use of the petrol price difference in Goa(so What would be the first trusted petrol pump in Goa where i can fill petrol with peace of mind ?) So that i can fill up petrol when i enter and before i leave Goa
Old 1st May 2012, 17:02   #1843
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Guys Need some help planning Bangalore-Goa trip(Visiting temples in Ponda)
I have been postponing this trip since so long due to various reasons(mainly because of lack of train connectivity) and driving 650+ km in single day seems to be hectic (because of parents and a toddler along)

Then i see alot of people starting at 4AM and reaching Goa by evening. I feel even i can pull something like this provided i am driving with group of friends. Since i will be the single driver, i am having double thoughts

These are the options i can think of(Did not consider bus because my parents have issues travelling overnight by bus)
1. Start early and reach goa by evening - Hectic and not sure how the people like it sitting for 12-14 hrs in a car
2. Start on an evening from bangalore, Take a break midway(Hubli?? suggest options) and then start next morning to split the journey.
3. Travel by train and spend that extra bucks on Local taxis(tough because of lack of train options)
You can do Blore Goa in less than 12 hours easily if you start by 6am. I did a solo drive last December. 600km is not that bad.

HTH
Old 1st May 2012, 17:22   #1844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
- Take the distance bit by bit. The trick is to be on the road at 4.
- That would be mean you should be in Hubli by latest 10 AM max (including BF break for half an hour)
- This would also mean you cover big part of 4-lane while others are sleeping
- That leaves lot of time to cover the rest of the distance. Even with relaxed driving you should be able to cover it.
- Now if its a problem for parents to sit that long, then yes, you should plan with a break at Hubli and start by afternoon.
- But if its more whether you can do it or not, you can decide as it comes when you reach Hubli.
- Reaching Goa in one go by evening directly depends on when you start from Bangalore.
- So from that point of view if you apply the same logic for coming back, you surely won't be able to start at 4AM from Goa.
- Now if you start by 10AM be assured that you would be reaching Bangalore late in the evening, where you have to cover lots of the last distances in dark.
- From that point of view, its logical to break at Hubli while coming back.

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2012 at 17:25.
Old 1st May 2012, 19:05   #1845
Senior - BHPian

I am comfortable starting at 4 am. I drive to mangalore early morning. (400-450 kms)

Its just that extra 200 kms would mean 3-4 extra hours of drive

On return leg i agree, a break midway might be good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks