Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 14:21   #166
BHPian

I just got back from atrip to Goa. I went To Belgaum and from there took NH4A. This road is very good except for 3 bridges which looks like they are going to give way any moment. There is mining lorry traffic from khanapur onwards.This is manageable as the road is very good. On the return I took the route through Sawantwadi coming to Belgaum this road is very scenic and very little traffic. The road is good but not as good as the NH4A. The ghat section is neverending. I would recomend the route through Belgaum and NH4A as this road is very good and eventough the distance is longer,it is a very pleasurable drive.

Last edited by s.prashanth : 21st April 2008 at 14:22. Reason: more points
Old 21st April 2008, 14:34   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I just got back from atrip to Goa. I went To Belgaum and from there took NH4A. This road is very good except for 3 bridges which looks like they are going to give way any moment. There is mining lorry traffic from khanapur onwards.This is manageable as the road is very good. On the return I took the route through Sawantwadi coming to Belgaum this road is very scenic and very little traffic. The road is good but not as good as the NH4A. The ghat section is neverending. I would recomend the route through Belgaum and NH4A as this road is very good and eventough the distance is longer,it is a very pleasurable drive.
Is this route netter then "shimoga - Honnavara"?? i mostly have to drive down next week....
Old 21st April 2008, 14:41   #168
BHPian

No idea on the Shimoga route. I can vouch for NH4a.
Old 21st April 2008, 15:59   #169
BHPian

I often travel from bangalore to goa. I find the shimoga route to be not as good as the NH4A , I'd recommend NH4A anyday !
Old 21st April 2008, 17:09   #170
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Thanks for your ideas. The only problem is that I have to visit Dharmasthala first and then continue to Goa. If this route is seriously bad, then I will drop this plan and instead take the NH4A route to Goa.

Is there an alternate better route to Dharmasthala (other than NH48) from Bangalore and then to Goa?
Old 21st April 2008, 19:05   #171
Senior - BHPian

techno... can you give me the complete route "NH4A"?? thanks

rajiv, Nh17 has improved and from Dharmasthala thats the best route... infact from Goa will be heading to Mangalore via NH17...
Old 22nd April 2008, 00:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
techno... can you give me the complete route "NH4A"?? thanks
Hi Lohit,
The NH4A route I take is :

Bangalore->Tumkur->Sira->Chitradurga->Davengere->Haveri->Hubli->Goa(via anmod ghat)

for the last leg - sometimes i either go from belgaum+anmod or from belgaum+nippani+ajra+sawantwadi(comes in from north goa) depending on if i have time to meet a couple of relatives/friends in belgaum/sawantwadi

The other route I take is :

Bangalore->Tumkur->Tiptur->Arsikeri->Tarikere->Shimoga->Sagar->Honnavar->Ankola->Karwar->Cancona->Margao ->Ponda(home!)

I last came through the Shimoga route a month and half ago, and I drove down through the NH4A route couple of weeks back, so my review is based on that.

Another problem with the Shimoga route is that a lot of places there's not much mobile signal coverage, so especially if one is driving alone at night, its a problem in case theres a breakdown or so.

Is there another better route from blr-goa?Do let me know, i end up driving around once a month or two so i can take that route next time around i go home.
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:01   #173
BHPian

Driven to Goa from Bangalore in the first week of march...

Bangalore - tumkur - Sagar - ankola - karwar -Goa..

Return - Goa - karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli - Chitradurga - bangalore

I must say that the NH 4A Karwar - Hubli stretch rocks...only problems in lies in the Shimoga route which is not that great but motorable. Bhatkal to karwar is pathetic.
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:45   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post

Is there another better route from blr-goa?Do let me know, i end up driving around once a month or two so i can take that route next time around i go home.
Well then you can try the following for a change:

Blr - Tumkur - Ranibennur - Haveri - Sirsi - Mirjan - Ankola - Karwar - Goa

I will surely try NH4A next time. I did this from panaji to Old Goa and it was excellent but thought it is bad in KN side.

Abhi
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:21   #175
Senior - BHPian

hubli chitradurga stretch

can anyone tell me how is the hubli chitradurga sretch of NH4? it was mostly two lane with construction activity (rather inactivity) going on the last time I went thru. the bypasses were not complete. so one had to go thru haveri, rannibennur en route. Much appreciate latest inputs.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:04   #176
Senior - BHPian

Techno, Thanks a lot btw lucky you!! you stay in Goa and regularly do long drives!
Which car do you drive??

corsalove, the stretch between Bhatkala and Karwar is still bad:( am planning to drive down from Goa.
Old 22nd April 2008, 18:32   #177
BHPian

lohithrao - Yes, The stretch from Bhatkal to Karwar is still bad..uneven surface but managable.

goandude - the hubli chitradurga road is superb. Just watch out for unmarked diversions. But the roads on these diversions also are pretty good, you can cruise on the same speed through them.
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:27   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Techno, Thanks a lot btw lucky you!! you stay in Goa and regularly do long drives!
Which car do you drive??

Lohit,

I live/work in Bangalore. Goa being where I'm from, so drive home once a month or two. Its usually a night drive on something like a long weekend(or i make one throwing in a leave or two). I drive a 99 carb esteem that i do the BLR-GOA run in

Amit
Old 23rd April 2008, 07:45   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
goandude - the hubli chitradurga road is superb. Just watch out for unmarked diversions. But the roads on these diversions also are pretty good, you can cruise on the same speed through them.
Thanks Corsa, this is a BIG improvement over the last one year or so. In fact i didnt drive down from Goa to Blore this time because the last time i did the trip the rds were awful. hope this monsoon dost wreck them. BTW are the haveri and ranibennur bypasses complete? or does one have to drive thru those towns?
Old 23rd April 2008, 18:11   #180
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Found this thread on the Blr-Kukke road (NH48)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-horanadu.html

it appears that the road is motorable via shiradi ghat, any recent updates?

techn0l0gist, I too am from north Goa (Pedne), born and broughtup in Mumbai, working in Bangalore.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks