Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2008, 18:47   #136
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Why take khanapur route when you can divert from Dharwad directly to Londa via Alnavar.
Yep, was thinking of that too, but if it is the way it has been then i will spend too much time on that route even with the Bolero. Let me see, if its still daylight when i reach there i will try it. Orelse if it gets too dark then the Khanapur road.
Old 11th March 2008, 21:08   #137
BHPian

I am planning to travel to Goa from Bangalore next month. I have to visit Ankola on the way and I have shortlisted the following routes:
1. Bangalore - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Ankola - Goa
2. Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Goa
I would have taken the Shimoga route, but I guess that is in pathetic condition. Has anyone travelled on these routes recently? Information on the condition of the roads would be extremely helpful.
Old 12th March 2008, 09:04   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I am planning to travel to Goa from Bangalore next month. I have to visit Ankola on the way and I have shortlisted the following routes:
1. Bangalore - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Ankola - Goa
2. Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Goa
Take route1, read my goa travelogue for more information.

Quote:
I would have taken the Shimoga route, but I guess that is in pathetic condition. Has anyone travelled on these routes recently? Information on the condition of the roads would be extremely helpful.
How did you guess? Shimoga route is fine as well except for 20-30odd kms somewhere near SHimoga and Bhadravati and is very scenic too.

Abhi
Old 12th March 2008, 12:21   #139
Senior - BHPian

Latest news, the bad stretch near tarikeri is fixed! so this route is fine and very doable!
Old 12th March 2008, 20:56   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Latest news, the bad stretch near tarikeri is fixed! so this route is fine and very doable!
Quote:
How did you guess? Shimoga route is fine as well except for 20-30odd kms somewhere near SHimoga and Bhadravati and is very scenic too.

Abhi
My friend travelled on this route couple of weeks back and said that the strech between Arsikere and Shimoga is still not motorable. I know the ghat section between Sagar and Honnavar is still in decent condition, but I am worried about the Arsikere-Shimoga section.
Old 12th March 2008, 21:28   #141
Senior - BHPian

I feel compared to Chitradurga - haveri route, via shimoga is better because except
potholes in shimoga route there is nothing like no road situation which is the case for chitradurga - harihara - ranebennaru NH4.

It would take another 9 months to complete proper Golden Quadrilateral.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th March 2008, 18:29   #142
BANNED

chitradurga - harihara - ranebennaru NH4 - How long is this bad stretch?
Old 13th March 2008, 18:50   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I feel compared to Chitradurga - haveri route, via shimoga is better because except
potholes in shimoga route there is nothing like no road situation which is the case for chitradurga - harihara - ranebennaru NH4.

Ravi.
Agree with this point. I did the stretch in last Nov through both routes - going via Haveri-Sirsi and returning via Honnavar and Shimoga. Inspite of bad conditions in NH17, and the Bhadravati stretch (30-40km), I still preferred it, and it took me the same time both ways.
In Goa, between Cancona and Margao, I had figured out to leave the NH17 and take criss-crossing state/district roads which were in excellent shape ...
Regards,
Ritesh
Old 14th March 2008, 15:34   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
My friend travelled on this route couple of weeks back and said that the strech between Arsikere and Shimoga is still not motorable. I know the ghat section between Sagar and Honnavar is still in decent condition, but I am worried about the Arsikere-Shimoga section.
Even i traveled on this stretch 2 wees back and it has improved a lot, it is very motorable according to me.
Old 17th March 2008, 17:37   #145
Senior - BHPian

I am driving to goa on 20th. Planning the following route:-
Bangalore - Tumkur - Tarikere - Shimoga - Honavar - Karwar - Goa

Was initially planning to drive through NH4 via Hubli, but decided against it after reading the comments here. What are the present road conditions in the Shimoga route?

Can someone suggest good restaurants and reliable petrol pumps in the route?

@Spitfire: How was your trip? Please give latest update on the route.

- Jag

PS: I'll be driving a ford ikon with driver plus 3-4 passengers.
Old 17th March 2008, 17:42   #146
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I travelled from Kemmangundi - Tarikere - Shimoga - Sagar - Sirsi.

Road condition improved a lot. 2 months back when I travelled bad stretches between Tarikere - Shimoga is repaired for some extent. Road condition improved a lot. I could see maximum 5 km bad road in this route.

My pick based on my experience for food Kamat Hotel (Next to indian oil Petrol bunk) 20km before Tumkur, Jewel Rock and hotel enar bus stand in Shimoga, in sagar couple of quiet ok places, Kumta Panduranga International, Sapna hotel Ankola.

Reliable Petrol Pumps I know: indian oil pump Sagar road after Shimoga, HP Pump in NH17 near bangalore - Honnavar road intersection near Honnavar, BP Bunk in gokarna Cross, Indian Oil bunk after Ankola in NH17.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 17th March 2008 at 17:49.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:40   #147
BHPian

Avoid the londa alnavar route

Quote:
Since you are in Bolero, suggest you to take this route and give an update. NH4A was in a pathetic state since last 2-3 years. may be you can give a better update.
Why take khanapur route when you can divert from Dharwad directly to Londa via Alnavar.
if the route from londa to dharwar via alnavar is as the way it was when i took that route last june then its better to stay away from it.it took me nearly 3hours to traverse those 30odd kms from londa to alnavar and even after that the road isnt very good.my alto's horn conked out thanks to the pathetic road.had to get it checked in hubli.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:06   #148
Senior - BHPian

I guess only the Alnavar-Londa road is a mess?? What about Khanapur-Molem stretch?
Old 19th March 2008, 19:30   #149
BHPian

Bangalore to Goa - Best route

Hi All,

I am heading to Goa tomorrow morning, starting from Bangalore at 4am.
I request you all to let me know the best route (quality of road and distance) to be taken to reach Goa.
From what I could Google, these are my options:

1. Bangalore - Hubli(bypass) - Karwar - Goa
2. Bangalore - Hubli(bypass) - Alnavar - Goa
3. Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Karwar - Goa
4. Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Goa
5. Bangalore - Mangalore - Karwar - Goa (too lengthy, but scenic)

Please provide your valuable inputs so that I may have a smooth trip.

My requirement is of the shortest route with the best road.
Old 19th March 2008, 19:41   #150
BHPian

Hi Jaguar,

I too am traveling from Bangalore to Goa on 20th March. Planning to leave at 4am.
Let me know which route you are taking.
I am looking for the shortest route with the best roads.

You can reach me on 9886497884

Regards,
Abhinav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks