Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2024, 11:29   #1
BHPian

E-Pass required for Tourist Vehicles to enter Nilgiris and Kodaikanal hill stations

Yesterday came across this report in Toi and other newspapers that Tourists entering the Nilgiries like Kodaikanal and Ooty, would need to get E Passes. Please see the link here.

However I could not find any information on this further if there is an online portal where out of state travelers can apply. If there is more info or any guidance from local experts would be great. I am starting my Trip tomorrow to Munnar and we will travel to Kodai on 5th May. Anyone was able to apply so far ?
swarnava.ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: E-Pass required for Tourist Vehicles to enter Nilgiris and Kodaikanal hill stations

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line to the Route / Travel Queries section. Thanks for sharing!

What is interesting is that there is no cap on the number of vehicles, so I wonder what this rule will do apart from just adding one more delay point for commuters to stop and get the passes verified. From my experience in the covid-era of inter-state E-passes at the Bandipur - Mudumalai checkpost, this rule will most likely just create a big jam at the TN checkpost where people will keep trying to salvage any mobile network (inside the forest zone) to try to register and download the E-pass on the fly. Other hapless travellers with valid passes have to wait in the kilometres-long jam while the unprepared ones try their luck at ad-hoc registrations or by arguing with the checkpost staff to let them go.

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th April 2024 at 12:23.
KarthikK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: E-Pass required for Tourist Vehicles to enter Nilgiris and Kodaikanal hill stations

Note to self: Never visit Kodaikanal during school holidays again! I was probably one of the tens and thousands adding to the tourist overload in Kodai during last vacation season. Will never do that mistake again. Maybe some crowd control measures would help preserve the charm of these places, if there's anything left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
I am starting my Trip tomorrow to Munnar and we will travel to Kodai on 5th May.
If it is still possible for you to cancel the Kodai plans, you should seriously consider that. My recommendation is to find some less crowded place in the high ranges and visit that. I have horrid memories of getting stuck in traffic jams all over the narrow roads of Kodai.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th April 2024 at 12:35.
clevermax is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 15:56   #4
BHPian

Re: E-Pass required for Tourist Vehicles to enter Nilgiris and Kodaikanal hill stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line to the Route / Travel Queries section. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks KarthikK for your help and agree with your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If it is still possible for you to cancel the Kodai plans, you should seriously consider that. My recommendation is to find some less crowded place in the high ranges and visit that. I have horrid memories of getting stuck in traffic jams all over the narrow roads of Kodai.
I was not aware about this unfortunately and hotels were booked long back and now the reservations are non cancellable. Let me see what can be done, may be I will prepone my returns. I agree with you as well, if there is overcrowding, it will not be a pleasant experience anyways. Basically we cannot go around exploring.
Old 1st May 2024, 09:50   #5
BHPian

Does anyone know which link should be used to apply for an epass? I've tried googling but none of the links seem to be working.
Old 1st May 2024, 10:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'd say, stay away from Ooty, Munnar and Kodai. The best way to enjoy this season is to visit the off beat places around these mountains. Kothagiri for example is less crowded and much calmer. You will not be able to view any of the places as they are fully crowded and on top of that, you will never find a parking spot. The hills have lost their charm. In Ooty, there is too much construction and the town has lost the beauty of what it used to have. While the development part cannot be simply put aside, there seems to be mindless digging of hills for sand and rocks.
Old 1st May 2024, 10:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Kothagiri for example is less crowded and much calmer.
Kotagiri will be crowded too. Besides, the roads have been made one way, you'll have to take a longer route and also share the road with Ooty travellers. But you can go there, if you just want to relax and not do any sightseeing.
TorquePull is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 10:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePull View Post
Kotagiri will be crowded too. Besides, the roads have been made one way, you'll have to take a longer route and also share the road with Ooty travellers. But you can go there, if you just want to relax and not do any sightseeing.
I think we took the longer route the last time we visited. My driver mentioned that Kothagiri is a little better. From the look of it, the town seemed more laid back and calmer. Agree to your point that no place is being spared these days!
Old 4th May 2024, 12:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
However I could not find any information on this further if there is an online portal where out of state travelers can apply. If there is more info or any guidance from local experts would be great. I am starting my Trip tomorrow to Munnar and we will travel to Kodai on 5th May. Anyone was able to apply so far ?
The E-Pass system kicks in only on the 7th of May, 2024 and will be applicable until the 30th of June, 2024. The website isn't up as yet. Will update this post, when it is. However, you needn't worry since the e-passes shall be autogenerated, and do not require manual approval from the authorities unlike Covid e-passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
[b]
What is interesting is that there is no cap on the number of vehicles, so I wonder what this rule will do apart from just adding one more delay point for commuters to stop and get the passes verified. From my experience in the covid-era of inter-state E-passes at the Bandipur - Mudumalai checkpost, this rule will most likely just create a big jam at the TN checkpost where people will keep trying to salvage any mobile network (inside the forest zone) to try to register and download the E-pass on the fly.
There is no cap, since this is a data gathering exercise to help the studies being conducted by IIT-M and IIM-B, about the capacity of hill roads. The e-passes will be auto-generated and will not require manual approval from the authorities. Residents and commercial vehicles are exempt from having to carry an e-pass.

You can access the judgement here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
While the development part cannot be simply put aside, there seems to be mindless digging of hills for sand and rocks.
Quarrying has been banned in the Nilgiris since about 2008 or so. Even to run a bulldozer, you need express permission from the district administration. All the digging is for construction.
adwaith is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 16:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KarthikK for your help and agree with your comments.

I was not aware about this unfortunately and hotels were booked long back and now the reservations are non cancellable. Let me see what can be done, may be I will prepone my returns. I agree with you as well, if there is overcrowding, it will not be a pleasant experience anyways. Basically we cannot go around exploring.
If you can go uphill really early (like before 9 am) and do the same.e.on your return downhall, and stay away from the main lake road and town center area, yoi can still have a nice vacation. Take walks around the lake before 9 am and get out of there before the tourists arrive.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 21:52   #11
BHPian

Just returned from Kodai. Horrible traffic everywhere. Added to that due to CM visit additional security created even more issues. I think he is returning on 04-May.

My personal opinion don't go to any hills in May.

Was already having worst trip, to top it off, rats bit sensor wires, so had to tow my car.
Old 5th May 2024, 21:43   #12
BHPian

https://epass.tnega.org/ : Will be available starting tomorrow.
ballkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 11:44   #13
BHPian

https://epass.tnega.org/

Just applied and received an E pass. It’s a seamless process and the download is available instantly. Visiting Kotagiri with a bunch of cousins, will probably give the main touristy spots a miss and stick to the fringes.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 15:31   #14
BHPian

Could someone please help me understand if there is a work around for someone who has relocated to the Nilgiris (with TN plates, nor necessitating re-registration)? Asking for a clueless family friend (old aunty) who has a car registered in Coimbatore but now lives in Coonoor.
Old 6th May 2024, 16:03   #15
BHPian

An advisory for all travelling to or through Coonoor. Traffic is unprecedented and there are many bottlenecks, with a large jam at the Junction where Coonoor Town meets the Mettupalayam - Ooty Road. The NMR has increased the number of trains running, and this means more railway gate closures. If your planned route passes through a railway crossing, checking train timetables may help.

Quite a few are using google maps and a sizable number are unmindful of the road and other vehicles on it. Watch out for them. Also if you're using Google maps, roads like the Disancherry (This was D. John Cherry, which became Disancherry) Road may be avoided since they're quite narrow with vehicles parked up on the sides.

This is the month of the Mariamman Temple Festival and on some days, there might be processions on the road, although the bulk of the festivities ended last week.

I also have a sincere request to those visiting. Please use water judiciously. The sus beating down and our dam does not have a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Could someone please help me understand if there is a work around for someone who has relocated to the Nilgiris (with TN plates, nor necessitating re-registration)? Asking for a clueless family friend (old aunty) who has a car registered in Coimbatore but now lives in Coonoor.
If your tyring to overcome the e-pass requirement, an Aadhaar card showing the Coonoor address should do. Even otherwise, this time around, the e-pass will be generated automatically for anyone applying, since it is only a data gathering exercise.

Last edited by adwaith : 6th May 2024 at 16:06.
adwaith is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks