Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 15:13   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries

I want to do a Bangalore - Sringeri - Horanadu - Dharmasthala trip on a weekend in July. Is it a good time to visit? Wanted to visit Dharmasthala after I saw their mega kitched in National geographic channel. I would prefer scenic route. Which would be the ideal place to stay? I can start by 5:00 AM on Saturday and want to be back by Sunday night ( 8 PM max). I would prefer to stay in Dharmasthala.
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th June 2016, 18:30   #197
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I want to do a Bangalore - Sringeri - Horanadu - Dharmasthala trip on a weekend in July. Is it a good time to visit? Wanted to visit Dharmasthala after I saw their mega kitched in National geographic channel. I would prefer scenic route. Which would be the ideal place to stay? I can start by 5:00 AM on Saturday and want to be back by Sunday night ( 8 PM max). I would prefer to stay in Dharmasthala.
July will see quite a bit of rain in these regions but it will be fun to drive there in the monsoons, if you enjoy it
Visiting all 3 places in 2 days looks like a stretch and very hectic. Maybe you can visit Sringeri and Horanadu another time and visit Dharmasthala and Kukke Subrahmanya on this trip ? These 2 are almost on either side of the NH48 highway and definitely doable.
So if you leave Bangalore on Saturday morning at 5am, you can drive to Kukke, visit the temple have lunch and head to Dharmasthala and stay there, maybe visit the temple in the evening once. Next day, visit the temple again, have lunch there and start your journey back to Bangalore.

Alternately, you can do Bangalore-Sringeri, stay overnight there and head to Horandu next day, visit the temple and head back to Bangalore after lunch.

Check this post for a Bangalore-Sringeri day trip update.

Last edited by NPV : 30th June 2016 at 18:34.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 19:16   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Visiting all 3 places in 2 days looks like a stretch and very hectic. Maybe you can visit Sringeri and Horanadu another time and visit Dharmasthala and Kukke Subrahmanya on this trip ? These 2 are almost on either side of the NH48 highway and definitely doable.
So if you leave Bangalore on Saturday morning at 5am, you can drive to Kukke, visit the temple have lunch and head to Dharmasthala and stay there, maybe visit the temple in the evening once. Next day, visit the temple again, have lunch there and start your journey back to Bangalore.
It is raining cats and dogs in and around Kukke. During monsoon two bridges Kumaradhara Bridge which connects Subramanya to Gundya and Hosmat bridge which connects temple town to Uppinangady are known to go down under water whenever there is good rainfall in the catchment areas of western ghats. Last year I myself was royally stuck as there was 5ft of water over the submersible bridge preventing vehicular movement.
As per the latest info I got, Tuesday Hosmat bridge was closed as it was submerged and water level was increasing in the Kumaradhara bridge as well. I don`t have the today`s update however I would suggest to get down in Gundya and check with the locals about the situation. This applies only during monsoon season especially in June, July timeframe.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 30th June 2016 at 19:39.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 09:52   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
July will see quite a bit of rain in these regions but it will be fun to drive there in the monsoons, if you enjoy it
Thank you for the inputs. The only place I want to visit is Dharmasthala. Included the other places just to enjoy the drive in the rains. Does the below plan look feasible.

Saturday - Bangalore - Sringeri - Horanadu - Dharmasthala (Without halts at Sringeri & Horanadu).
Sunday - Dharmasthala - Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
It is raining cats and dogs in and around Kukke. During monsoon two bridges Kumaradhara Bridge which connects Subramanya to Gundya and Hosmat bridge which connects temple town to Uppinangady are known to go down under water whenever there is good rainfall in the catchment areas of western ghats.
Thank you for the inputs. I do not plan to visit Kukke this time. Are the roads to Dharmasthala, Sringeri & Horanadu prone to flooding?
Old 1st July 2016, 10:08   #200
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only place I want to visit is Dharmasthala. Included the other places just to enjoy the drive in the rains. Does the below plan look feasible...
If it's only a drive from Bangalore-Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmasthala, it should be good fun even with rains but may delay your arrival at Dharmasthala
*However, if you also plan to visit the temples in Sringeri and Horanadu you will need to factor in additional time.

Kukke I think is the one most prone to flooding and can get cut away from Gundya/Shiradi ghat.

*wondering what routing would be good for such a trip without retracing too much of the onward route

Last edited by NPV : 1st July 2016 at 10:21.
Old 1st July 2016, 10:35   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it's only a drive from Bangalore-Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmasthala, it should be good fun even with rains but may delay your arrival at Dharmasthala
*However, if you also plan to visit the temples in Sringeri and Horanadu you will need to factor in additional time.

Kukke I think is the one most prone to flooding and can get cut away from Gundya/Shiradi ghat.

*wondering what routing would be good for such a trip without retracing too much of the onward route
Thanks again for the inputs. Is the below route good to take?

https://goo.gl/maps/JCFZ37ziovK2

I can also skip Horanadu this time and go directly to Dharmasthala from Sringeri if the road is nice.

Last edited by pramodpk : 1st July 2016 at 10:40.
Old 1st July 2016, 10:40   #202
BHPian

Quote:

For people coming via Mysore, Sulya-Guthigar-Kukke is safe option, considering the chance of flooding in this part is very less.

Last time when I was stuck near Kumaradhara bridge, I took this route Kukke-Panja-Kodimbala-Nettana-Gundya
https://goo.gl/maps/fsjybUR5PbR2

Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries-panja.png
Even though roads were good but it is a good 40kms detour
Old 1st July 2016, 10:58   #203
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
For people coming via Mysore, Sulya-Guthigar-Kukke is safe option, considering the chance of flooding in this part is very less.
@pramodpk is planning Bangalore-Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmasthala-Bangalore, so no Kukke visit on this trip.
I was thinking if this makes sense:
Bangalore-Tirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri
Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Magundi-Balehole-Kalasa-Horanadu
and
Horanadu-Kalasa-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Ujire-Dharmasthala.

Will be quite scenic as well
Old 1st July 2016, 11:24   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@pramodpk is planning Bangalore-Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmasthala-Bangalore, so no Kukke visit on this trip.
I was thinking if this makes sense:
Bangalore-Tirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri
Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Magundi-Balehole-Kalasa-Horanadu
and

Will be quite scenic as well
Had been to Thirthahalli in March. So don't want to take the Thirthahalli route this time.
Old 1st July 2016, 11:35   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, he can still do Kalasa - Kuduremukha - SK Border - Bajagoli - Naravi - Guruvayanakere - Ujire - Dharmasthala.

Equally scenic and perhaps more straight roads through this scenery for some lovely photogenic locations with almost minimal traffic from Kalasa till SK Border.

And roads between Kalasa and Kuduremukha are now fixed completely is the last update I have from a friend from Kuduremukha.

Would add around 25 kms to the usual Kottigehara route but worth every kilometer if one looks at the other "Benefits" out of this road and considering the current monsoon

EDIT:
And for the overall itinerary, even keeping the scenery in mind, Bangalore - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Kuduremukha - Kalasa - Horanadu - Kalasa - Kottigehara -Charmadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Gundya - Sakleshpur - Hassan - Bangalore .

That way, you get to do both the scenic routes between Sringeri - Kuduremukha and as well the Charmadi Ghats.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st July 2016 at 11:44.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 11:50   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well, he can still do Kalasa - Kuduremukha - SK Border - Bajagoli - Naravi - Guruvayanakere - Ujire - Dharmasthala.

Equally scenic and perhaps more straight roads through this scenery for some lovely photogenic locations with almost minimal traffic from Kalasa till SK Border.

And roads between Kalasa and Kuduremukha are now fixed completely is the last update I have from a friend from Kuduremukha.

Would add around 25 kms to the usual Kottigehara route but worth every kilometer if one looks at the other "Benefits" out of this road and considering the current monsoon

EDIT:
And for the overall itinerary, even keeping the scenery in mind, Bangalore - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Kuduremukha - Kalasa - Horanadu - Kalasa - Kottigehara -Charmadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Gundya - Sakleshpur - Hassan - Bangalore .

That way, you get to do both the scenic routes between Sringeri - Kuduremukha and as well the Charmadi Ghats.
Thanks Parag. Is this the route?

https://goo.gl/maps/xHvJm8Lu16E2

Is it easy to find directions? WIth a 5:00 AM start from Bangalore, will I be able to reach Dharmasthala before dark with only fuel and food stops?
Old 1st July 2016, 12:15   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

https://goo.gl/maps/xHvJm8Lu16E2

Is it easy to find directions? WIth a 5:00 AM start from Bangalore, will I be able to reach Dharmasthala before dark with only fuel and food stops?
Slight change where you would actually do Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur instead of Belur - Aldur. This is because the road is not 100% clean between Belur and Aldur even though this is repaired now.

Apart from that, you need to simply remember the way points than let artificial intelligence confuse you. This always helps in these interior locations where at times you might not have the best of Data/Mobile network.

Belur - Chikmagalur - Mudigere Road - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri it is.

You can easily do Bangalore - Sringeri in just one tank even with a 35 liter Petrol car that return 16 kmpl. However, your best bets in case you want to fill up enroute will be these:

1. BPCL Station right at the Entrance of Belur at the Circle
2. HPCL Station before Chikmagalur on the right hand Side

With a 5AM start, your options for taking breakfast would ideally be A2B, Udyapura which should be anywhere between 2-2.5 hours from Bangalore based on your Origin.

Just in case you have a delayed start for any reason, then here are the other options in chronological order from Bangalore:

Swati Delicacy after Kunigal Bypass

Mayura at Bellur Cross
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 13:43   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Slight change where you would actually do Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur instead of Belur - Aldur. This is because the road is not 100% clean between Belur and Aldur even though this is repaired now.
Parag sir, how bad is the Belur-Aldur stretch? Can a low GC bike do it with out much hassle?

A bunch of us on bikes will be doing the Sringeri-Kalasa region the coming weekend and the goal is to just do as much of the scenic ghats as possible. No specific destinations in mind - we will be riding all through daytime with stops for vistas and waterfalls. Current plan is the one below. Any recommendations on the routes? Only constraint is some of the bikes have low GC so can't do very bad roads - other than that, we love twisty roads surrounded by lush greenery and rains.

Onwards:
https://goo.gl/maps/Db7QVq3KEZM2

Return:
https://goo.gl/maps/vp2bC8VGWnp
Old 5th July 2016, 14:05   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is what he meant

Route Link

- Go till Chikkamagulur.
- Ask for Aldur road or directions to Serai (Its on Aldur road)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 14:10   #210
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Last weekend I had been to Horanadu.
Onward journey I took
Aldur-Balehonnur-Magundi-Balehole-Haluvalli-Horanadu
This road is in fantastic conditions, freshly tarred throughout and bliss to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
how bad is the Belur-Aldur stretch?
I think Aldur road is newly laid as per the latest report by @sushrutha (quoted above).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks