Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-985.html)

Made a trip from Trichur to Kayamkulam and back. Route was Angamaly Vytila Thripunithira Vaikom Thaneermukkam Muhamma Kommady (alapuzha bypass). This route is an excellent alternative to the crater filled stretch in Vytila Cherthala route. I had taken this route (started from Vytila around 10:30 pm and reached Alapuzha at around 12am) at night and there was close to zero traffic on this route. Road condition is excellent (few potholes on Thaneermukkam bridge).

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinuchel (Post 5795117)
Made a trip from Trichur to Kayamkulam and back. Route was Angamaly Vytila Thripunithira Vaikom Thaneermukkam Muhamma Kommady (alapuzha bypass). This route is an excellent alternative to the crater filled stretch in Vytila Cherthala route. I had taken this route (started from Vytila around 10:30 pm and reached Alapuzha at around 12am) at night and there was close to zero traffic on this route. Road condition is excellent (few potholes on Thaneermukkam bridge).

In this stretch, bad roads are between Aroor and Thuravoor because of the elevated highway construction. The rest is in good condition.

Regarding the alternative route via Vaikom and Thanneermukkam, the roads and narrow and traffic is heavy during the day and evening hours and overtaking is nearly impossible. otherwise it is a better option than coming via Arookkutty and Poochakkal.

Folks, planning to go from Bangalore to Vechoor (near Kottayam). I am familiar with BLR Coimbatore section. Need help with Coimbatore to Vechoor. Google suggests the following route: Coimbatore > Palakkad > Thrissur > Chalakudy > Aluva > Vechoor.

All Roads to Kerala-route2.png

Traveling by two low GC sedans with family (kids and seniors). We will be doing an overnight halt in Erode-Coimbatore area. I don't mind slow moving traffic and traffic jams - but need wide roads (tolled if available) and safe to drive even if there are heavy rains. Travel will be during day time only. Google is notorious to recommend shortcuts that are fit for bikes, autos and 4x4 vehicles - want to save myself from that hassle - I suffer a lot of anxiety when it comes to Google route suggestions in interior India :crying

Please recommend a route keeping the above preferences in mind. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 5798583)
Folks, planning to go from Bangalore to Vechoor (near Kottayam). I am familiar with BLR Coimbatore section. Need help with Coimbatore to Vechoor. Google suggests the following route: Coimbatore > Palakkad > Thrissur > Chalakudy > Aluva > Vechoor.

You will get tolled 4 lane road till Kochi. The Google suggested route is good, except that you better take the Vaikom route from Vyttila (left turn from Vyttila JN on the NH byepass). From there till Vaikom is single lane road but should be good surface. Vaikom - Vechoor would be even narrow and it was in bad shape till last year. But it seems to be repaired now. Adding a video for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRJ4x3HAB8

Did anyone recently take the Chinnar -Marayur- Munnar stretch? How are the roads? I am thinking of a casual lazy drive from Palakkad, mainly to photograph birds and wildlife (if lucky)!

An update from my recent trip.
With a 5pm weekday evening start from Bangalore (at PES side NICE road toll), we encountered heavy slow moving traffic, rains and a truck breakdown en route, all contributing to very slow progress. We took a break for dinner at Krishnagiri around 8pm. There are 4-5 flyovers being constructed on this stretch and there are multiple painted rumbler strips that give a bone jarring effect, very painful to say the least. After this, we progressed well and reached Kalady by 4am.

After Kalady temple visits, we started around 10am and it was quite manageable till Kochi but once we got onto the NH 66 beyond Vytilla it was a super energy sapping drive with multiple diversions in an unending construction zone and we reached Ashtamudi at 3:30pm with a lunch break at Ambalapuzha en route.

After this experience, we tweaked our plan by visiting the Jatayu Earth Centre the next day and Day 4 we started around 7am to Trivandrum for a visit to the Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple, had lunch and returned via Nagercoil-Tirunelveli-Karur on the NH 44 much better roads, only Trivandrum-Nagercoil was slow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 5798583)
. I don't mind slow moving traffic and traffic jams - but need wide roads (tolled if available) and safe to drive even if there are heavy rains.

Stay overnight at a hotel in Kochi and park your cars there. Take 2 cabs to go to your destination from Kochi and get back. This will work unless you intend to stay at the destination for a long period.

This is what I usually do in Kerala if I need to travel over byroads in Kerala. The route that is being suggested is anything but wide and buses, cabs and autos flying around corners will make the journey even more stressful.

Driving in Kerala is an option only in the early hours / Sundays / Holidays. Hopefully the new 6 lane will resolve issues.

Did a quick trip to Thoothukudi and back yesterday. The stretch that connects where the NH ends to Kaliyakavalai is just horrendous. Massive potholes.

Planning a trip to Thanjavur from Kollam via Madurai, Wondering what would be a better route to take, travelling with kids. Intend to leave early morning, reach Madurai have darshan and then head to Thanjavur, stay there for the night, visit the temple and return.

Please recommend the best route and also any decent restaurants and petrol pumps on the way.

Google is showing Thenmala, Kovilpatti route, suggesting to take a left before Tenkasi.