Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 08:09   #14731
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Puliyarai till Kottavasal (KL border) had some pretty huge craters, especially in the bends).

Travelled in a Safari 2.2..
Thanks darklord for the details. Travelling in a fully loaded hatchback so I think I will stick to Option 2.
Old 24th May 2024, 13:09   #14732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
... travelling by Cab from Kochi to Munnar and using local transport for Sightseeing.
I would suggest to retain the cab from Kochi for the local sightseeing in Munnar. Get quote for the round trip + local sightseeing.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 14:22   #14733
BHPian

Returned from Kerala to Bangalore during last Saturday, 25th May 2024.

Instead of usual NH44, Google was suggesting taking the 544H from Bhavani to Thoppur via Mettur. And also, the new NH844 from Dharmapurii - Rayakottai - Hosur. Decided to try both these suggestions and I felt like it was worth it. Started from Palakkad at 10:30 AM and I was in my Whitefield home at 5:30 PM, with a relaxed drive, less traffic and saving some toll fees. Less traffic on both these alternate routes saved time. Both these routes have good roads except some sections passing through smaller towns.

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 21:45   #14734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Returned from Kerala to Bangalore during last Saturday, 25th May 2024.

Instead of usual NH44, Google was suggesting taking the 544H from Bhavani to Thoppur via Mettur. And also, the new NH844 from Dharmapurii - Rayakottai - Hosur.
Did you notice restaurants and petrol pumps on these two alternate routes?
Old 7th June 2024, 18:41   #14735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Did you notice restaurants and petrol pumps on these two alternate routes?
There aren't any big restaurants/petrol pumps on these alternate routes, other than the typical small ones you see in TN. We will need to plan and manage it outside of these routes.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 14:12   #14736
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What would be the best route for an evening start (on a weekday) from Bangalore heading to Kalady and then from there to club Mahindra Ashtamudi?

Plan is to reach Kalady early morning, visit the Sringeri Shankara math, temples and then head to Ashtamudi in the afternoon.
Old 16th June 2024, 17:14   #14737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What would be the best route for an evening start (on a weekday) from Bangalore heading to Kalady and then from there to club Mahindra Ashtamudi?
My suggestion would be Ettumanoor Thiruvalla Chengannur Ashtamudi. But please do check on rain status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Instead of usual NH44, Google was suggesting taking the 544H from Bhavani to Thoppur via Mettur. And also, the new NH844 from Dharmapurii - Rayakottai - Hosur. Decided to try both these suggestions and I felt like it was worth it. Started from Palakkad at 10:30 AM and I was in my Whitefield home at 5:30 PM, with a relaxed drive, less traffic and saving some toll fees. Less traffic on both these alternate routes saved time. Both these routes have good roads except some sections passing through smaller towns.
A note of caution on 844. Since it's incomplete; please dont take this road in the dark. There are places it abruptly ends and many places where it needs quite some work.

The Bhairamanagalam to Neralur (through Hosur) is a big section and it will take quite some time to complete. I dont see it happening soon. Apart from that some stretches between Palacode to Rayakottai need closure. And one of them I think has not even gone through Land Acquisition.

Last edited by ampere : 16th June 2024 at 17:22.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 20:14   #14738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Plan is to reach Kalady early morning, visit the Sringeri Shankara math, temples and then head to Ashtamudi in the afternoon.
If you plan to travel from Kalady to Ashtamudi in the daytime, please consider either of the two options below instead of the MC Road:
  1. Kalady - Muvattupuzha - Arakuzha - Veliyanoor - Uzhavoor - Mallapally - Kumbanad - Sooranad - Ashtamudi
  2. Kalady - Muvattupuzha - Pala - Ranni Pathanamthitta - Adoor - Sasthamcotta - Ashtamudi

The MC Road option would see heavy traffic, especially on the Thiruvalla - Chengannur route.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 20:18   #14739
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
If you plan to travel from Kalady to Ashtamudi in the daytime, please consider either of the two options below instead of the MC Road.
Can you make it simpler by suggesting which of the two is better? This is our very first time driving in these parts of Kerala. We would be doing a weekday afternoon drive from Kalady to Ashtamudi.
Old 16th June 2024, 20:25   #14740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you make it simpler by suggesting which of the two is better? This is our very first time driving in these parts of Kerala. We would be doing a weekday afternoon drive from Kalady to Ashtamudi.
I have taken #2 myself a couple of times (not to Ashtamudi, but towards Kottarakkara) and the first option was suggested by a friend from Chengannur. If I were to pick one, it would be #2 since I have driven on that route.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 22:53   #14741
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I have taken #2 myself a couple of times (not to Ashtamudi, but towards Kottarakkara) and the first option was suggested by a friend from Chengannur. If I were to pick one, it would be #2 since I have driven on that route.
I was thinking between MC road and Ranni option and suggested MC because of rain and more ghat sections in the latter. How does the equation change with monsoon?
Old 17th June 2024, 10:01   #14742
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more queries for food, parking:
1. Where to park and enter the Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple ? Is it the west nada/entrance ?

2. Breakfast somewhere nearby after a visit to Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple

3. Plan to visit Padmanabhapuram palace next and then return to Ashtamudi. Any recommendations for lunch (good vegetarian options)?

4. Any good restaurants around Club Mahindra Ashtamudi just in case we get bored of their buffet spread over 2 days?

Last edited by NPV : 17th June 2024 at 10:04.
Old 20th June 2024, 04:23   #14743
BHPian

Quote:
Few more queries for food, parking:
I am not so sure the cops still allow parking at west nada (I could be wrong).

The closest paid parkings are:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/so87jFo6peSHDL8C6 (KSRTC land given as paid parking)
and
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uEXWM5dQtBS7BkTm8

As for query 3, I suggest either:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/969fmNyCgH3t2Hhz6 (parking is available, but a bit tricky).
or
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cj2AcccvpFABY1XU7

Do note that traditional wear is a must for Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple darshan.

These hotels in Kollam town always come up when discussing non-veg restaurants (I have visited none of them):
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8K3Xk3Co5tovGMm36
and
https://maps.app.goo.gl/6EjrJ1HX5dErNnRf6
and
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LuGTYCo2v2u86i4e9 (mainly fish)

Sree Suprabhatham is a good veg restaurant nearby:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GTfxkSfyHXWZMm7u7

Last edited by darklord : 20th June 2024 at 04:38.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 09:35   #14744
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I am not so sure the cops still allow parking at west nada (I could be wrong).
Thanks so much, invaluable information!

Is there a specific entrance from where we should enter the Padmanabhaswamy temple for Darshan or are there multiple entrances to get in ?

Any suggestions for breakfast somewhere near the temple after our darshan?
Looking up on gmaps I found these eateries rated high and close to the temple - Venkadesa Bhavan, Gaurisankar, Udupi Hotel, Annapoorna, Aryaas Park, Alankar and Mothers Veg about 1+km away.

Would prefer something nearby so that we can then walk to the Swathi Thirunal palace for a visit.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 10:19   #14745
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions for breakfast somewhere near the temple after our darshan?
Ariya Nivaas near KSRTC Bus Stand Thampanoor is a good option for Veg.
Thanos-VV is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks