Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2024, 16:09   #14671
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
My suggestion would be to stick to MC Road as the NH via Tvm-Kollam-Alleppey-Ekm is undergoing major expansion works. Stretch from Thuravoor to Edapally itself will take quite some time.
Thank you pms. I have one more question. What is the speed limit in the MC Road? heard a lot about the AI cameras. Are they still active in this route?
Old 22nd April 2024, 16:18   #14672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Not sure about the works you are mentioning here. There is no expansion work happening whatsoever. Its still the same old single lane with toll booths and signals peppered all the way. Its high time NHAI did something about this as its the only stretch with single lane plus heavy & dangerous traffic.
Sorry, maybe it was resurfacing. I might be mistaken. But I agree its been such a pain for years and continues to be so.
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:57   #14673
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubramoniamAB View Post
Thank you pms. I have one more question. What is the speed limit in the MC Road? heard a lot about the AI cameras. Are they still active in this route?
Speed limit should be around 90KMPH on MC road. Am not aware of AI camera status in this route.
Old 23rd April 2024, 13:57   #14674
BHPian

Are there any of these AI cameras in the Walayar - Kuthiraan stretch? Can anyone fill me on what I need to be careful about these AI cameras?
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:05   #14675
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubramoniamAB View Post
What is the speed limit in the MC Road? heard a lot about the AI cameras. Are they still active in this route?
I have been using this AI camera map.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...F0t41&hl=en_US

It is not an official one, but it has been quite useful to me in the past. Do note that this does not contain the older cameras on national highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Are there any of these AI cameras in the Walayar - Kuthiraan stretch? Can anyone fill me on what I need to be careful about these AI cameras?
AFAIK, the new AI cameras are not present on this stretch. But this stretch has cameras from the previous generation that focus only on speed limits, and they are active.

The AI camera also detects people who do not wear helmet and seat belt, traffic signal violations, people using mobile phone, and overloading on two-wheelers (in addition to speeding).

BTW, here is the official speed limit documentation.

https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/sites/defa...ed%20limit.pdf

It is fuzzy what happens when multiple classifications apply (four-lane road that passes through municipal boundary, for instance). There are cases like Kodungallur bye-pass which is four-lane and part of NH, but the speed limit for municipal boundary applies.

Last edited by phi : 23rd April 2024 at 15:19. Reason: corrected speed limit doc.
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:14   #14676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi View Post

https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/en/roadsaf...-limits-kerala

It is fuzzy what happens when multiple classifications apply (four-lane road that passes through municipal boundary, for instance).
These limits are from 2014. They have been overridden by the 2023 revision.

In this new one confusion regarding multiple classifications has been resolved, in my opinion.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:19   #14677
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
These limits are from 2014. They have been overridden by the 2023 revision.

In this new one confusion regarding multiple classifications has been resolved, in my opinion.
Yes, thanks, I pasted the wrong link by mistake. Will edit the original post to correct it too. The issue with multiple classifications is still there, AFAIK. I have not seen a clear document that says what speed limit will apply on an NH that passes through city limits.
Old 23rd April 2024, 16:10   #14678
BHPian

Thanks for the links. It seems pretty clear in these. I used to be confused always earlier as near the intersection the speed limit of 50 was put up. Someone later on told, that the speed limit changes some meters after the intersection.
Old 23rd April 2024, 16:12   #14679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issue with multiple classifications is still there, AFAIK. I have not seen a clear document that says what speed limit will apply on an NH that passes through city limits.
On the contrary - if you read beyond the table in the PDF, you will see that it has a provision that the speed limit can only be set by the "authority concerned". In Kerala, the authority concerned is the PWD Executive Engineer. This means the previous system of local municipality/police station reducing the speed limit within their limits is no longer tenable.

Last edited by binand : 23rd April 2024 at 16:14.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 16:54   #14680
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
On the contrary - if you read beyond the table in the PDF, you will see that it has a provision that the speed limit can only be set by the "authority concerned". In Kerala, the authority concerned is the PWD Executive Engineer. This means the previous system of local municipality/police station reducing the speed limit within their limits is no longer tenable.
I did read that, but did not realize that it would be PWD EE setting limits.

So, does it mean that the speed limits would be set subjectively by the respective PWD EEs for the cases where a road falls into multiple classifications?
Old 23rd April 2024, 17:04   #14681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Yes, and they are active. I usually set the cruise control to 85-95kmph in this stretch, and use it to the maximum extent possible, road and traffic conditions permitting.

Other details in this post:

Quote:
...The AI camera also detects people who do not wear helmet and seat belt, traffic signal violations, people using mobile phone, and overloading on two-wheelers (in addition to speeding).

silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 10:07   #14682

I am considering trip from Pune to Munnar with wife and 2 kids in second week of May this year. My family enjoys road trip. Need suggestions from you.
some information about me - I do not drive very fast, prefer to keep it within 80-100 km/h and also avoid driving in night

I am taking one week off from work and below is the plan for each day.
Friday - finish work early and travel from Pune to Kolhapur by 9pm
Day 1 - Kolhapur to Salem (800 km). early start at 4am from Kolhapur and reach by 8pm.
Day 2 - Salem to Munnar. Start at 8am and reach by 4pm or so considering breaks in between.
Day 3 and 4 - In and around Munnar
Day 5 - leave Munnar in morning after breakfast and reach Ooty
Day 6 - Ooty
Day 7 - Leave Ooty and reach Chitradurga by evening
Day 8 - Chitradurga to Kolhapur
Day 9 - Some shopping in Kolhapur and then travel to Pune

Can you pls suggest if this plan looks good or should I make some changes to it ? Should I try some other route ?
Day 1 driving of 800Km - could it be tiring considering I am the only driver ? I have driven 600km in past in a day. (Pune to Indore, Pune to Goa etc)
Old 24th April 2024, 11:40   #14683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripLover_ View Post
Day 5 - leave Munnar in morning after breakfast and reach Ooty
Day 6 - Ooty
Day 7 - Leave Ooty and reach Chitradurga by evening
Its too hectic to enjoy Ooty in just one day. You should re-think about it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 15:56   #14684

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wife wants to go to pine forest and couple of more places in Ooty, thats why took this route while returning from Munnar. I am not planning to stay more days there as it will delay my return back to Pune.
Old 25th April 2024, 19:45   #14685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am considering trip from Pune to Munnar with wife and 2 kids in second week of May this year. My family enjoys road trip. Need suggestions from you.
some information about me - I do not drive very fast, prefer to keep it within 80-100 km/h and also avoid driving in night
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
Wife wants to go to pine forest and couple of more places in Ooty, thats why took this route while returning from Munnar. I am not planning to stay more days there as it will delay my return back to Pune.
Agree with Ampere. Munnar to Ooty will be a long drive and no point doing that just for a day. Also, as of now most of Ooty is hot, dry and brown due to lack of rains. Unless there are some good summer showers over the next 2 weeks, it will be a disappointment. Also expect massive crowds in Ooty in May. Suggest you drop Ooty and spend the extra day in Munnar itself, or maybe Kodaikananal.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks