Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-978.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by phi (Post 5747217)
You could just re-check Google Maps when you hit Perumbavur. In case Kalady bridge is too busy, it will route you via Thiruvairanikulam bridge. On most days, it would still be faster than going via SH-15, unless you are travelling in the night.

Thanks, phi, we will be travelling by 10 am, would expect some traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5747312)
There are three bridges to the west (Vallam, Thiruvairanikulam, Thottumukham) and one to the east (Kodanad) of Kaladi bridge - and that is not counting the main NH544 bridge at Aluva. My preference would be to cut over to AM Road from MC Road reaching Kuruppampadi and then taking the Kodanad-Malayattoor-Manjapra route to Angamaly - this will bypass Perumbavoor also.

I have been hearing that the Kalady pile-up can potentially delay you by 1h+ these days.

Thanks binand, quite informative.

Hey guys,
Planning to travel from Irinjalakuda (Thrissur) to Trivandrum. Is MC Road the better option or should I take the highway route? Planning to leave by 5 AM on Friday.

Hi All,

I am planning to drive down to Kerala (Alappuzha) from Bangalore this coming weekend. Considering upcoming elections, has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?

E-City > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Coimbatore > Walayar > Palakkad > Thrissur > Kochi > Cherthala > Alappuzha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repsol (Post 5751730)
has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?

E-City > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Coimbatore > Walayar > Palakkad > Thrissur > Kochi > Cherthala > Alappuzha

Surprisingly, I drove this route from Bangalore to Karukutty on Monday (8/4) and did not encounter a single checkpoint, election related or any other.

Quote:

Hi All,

I am planning to drive down to Kerala (Alappuzha) from Bangalore this coming weekend. Considering upcoming elections, has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?

There were none on the national highway. We were stopped at Neriamangalam yesterday while on the way to Munnar

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 5751734)
Surprisingly, I drove this route from Bangalore to Karukutty on Monday (8/4) and did not encounter a single checkpoint, election related or any other.

How are the roads now? I will be taking this route in another 2 weeks.

Quote:

Hi All,

Considering upcoming elections, has anyone encountered election related checking in the below route recently?

Yes, did Bangalore Thrissur, last Saturday evening. Was stopped for checking after crossing Walayar border. Insisted on opening the boot and checking bags, despite us travelling with 2 babies. Was driving a KL registered vehicle. Noticed other election check points near Salem, but was not stopped there.

Drove Kalady to Bangalore on Vishu day, it was a very peaceful drive with a 4.30 am start to reach Bangalore at 1 pm with around 1 hour break. Noticed that almost all cars were stopped for election checking while entering Walayar from TN. Random vehicles were gettting checked just before the Thopper Ghats.

Drove down to Kollam from BLR on 6th April (Sat) and returned on 14th Apr (Sun). Onward was via Salem-Dindigul-Tirumangalam-Shenkottai route and return was via Alleppey-Ekm-Salem route.

Onward journey was very tiring and took around 14.5 hours door to door including 2 breaks. Started bit late at 6:15AM and reached home in Kollam around 8:45PM. There was heavy traffic from BLR to Salem. Salem to Tirumangalam was relatively free and was covered quickly. But the roads from Tirumangalam to Shenkottai was in bad shape. There is road widening happening till Rajapalayam. Also the surface of the existing roads had chipped away. Has to drive carefully. Shenkottai to Kollam via Aryankavu, Thenmala was better, though there are some areas (esp near the arch bridges) where there are big potholes. There was a vehicle check near Karur as part of the upcoming elections.

In the onward journey I drove from Kollam to Ekm a day before and stayed at my in laws. Road widening work is happening this entire stretch and it took around 4 hrs to cover Kollam - Ekm. On 14th Apr, Vishu day, I started at 5:30AM from Ekm and reached BLR home by 2:15PM including one break. Very peaceful drive with less traffic. Nothing to write about this stretch barring some road works happening in TN. Luckily very less time spent on L&T tolls on the Coimbatore byepass which normally use to be a hell.

Quote:

Hi All,

There was no checking from KL to TN but there was checking on the TN to KL part last week. (Walayar route)

They insisted on opening the boot and checked my laptop bag and the glovebox.

They were checking all cars, irrespective of the registration.

How are the road conditions currently? Any major works going on currently?
We are planning to travel this weekend from Bangalore to Cochin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth (Post 5757925)
How are the road conditions currently? Any major works going on currently?
We are planning to travel this weekend from Bangalore to Cochin.

No major hurdles in this route barring some expansion works in TN and L&T byepass near Coimbatore. Crossing this 30Kms of L&T byepass will take some time depending on the time and day.

Road conditions are smooth throughout. Only one portion of Kuthiran tunnel is operational now, but not a blocker. Depending on the time of the day you travel, you can expect good traffic from Paliyekara toll booth to Cochin. On a normal day you should be able to do this drive between 9-10 hours generally with one good break.

Friends,

I am travelling to Thrissur from Balaramapuram with my family on April 30th. Kindly advise me the best route to take. I am planning to start 6am. Kindly suggest good vegetarian hotels as well along the route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pms (Post 5757932)
No major hurdles in this route barring some expansion works in TN and L&T byepass near Coimbatore. Crossing this 30Kms of L&T byepass will take some time depending on the time and day.

Road conditions are smooth throughout. Only one portion of Kuthiran tunnel is operational now, but not a blocker. Depending on the time of the day you travel, you can expect good traffic from Paliyekara toll booth to Cochin. On a normal day you should be able to do this drive between 9-10 hours generally with one good break.

Thanks. I have done this multiple time in the past. Have not been able to do in the past year or so. The L&T by pass was being worked on last year too. Havent they completed it yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubramoniamAB (Post 5757946)
Friends,

I am travelling to Thrissur from Balaramapuram with my family on April 30th. Kindly advise me the best route to take. I am planning to start 6am. Kindly suggest good vegetarian hotels as well along the route.

My suggestion would be to stick to MC Road as the NH via Tvm-Kollam-Alleppey-Ekm is undergoing major expansion works. Stretch from Thuravoor to Edapally itself will take quite some time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth (Post 5757969)
Thanks. I have done this multiple time in the past. Have not been able to do in the past year or so. The L&T by pass was being worked on last year too. Havent they completed it yet?

Not sure about the works you are mentioning here. There is no expansion work happening whatsoever. Its still the same old single lane with toll booths and signals peppered all the way. Its high time NHAI did something about this as its the only stretch with single lane plus heavy & dangerous traffic.