Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-951.html)

Planning to drive to Guruvayur this week and thinking of going via Mysore. How is the road condition via Nilambur? Is it worth taking instead of Coimbatore with a 5AM start from HSR Layout?

Quote:

Originally Posted by avk (Post 5458955)
My question is whether they have started giving out challans for speeding above 80kmph on that stretch? Are they functional? ...Couple of the speed traps weren't working, guessing by their speed display being off and all these might be newly installed too? (Driving through here after an year)...Noticed there are speed traps on the return direction too.

So they have started functioning? :unhappy

Saw these a couple of times, but they were not functional. Add to that they have kept it on those arrow straight roads. :crying

An 80km/h limit is ridiculous on those stretches, even the narrow, undivided, high traffic Kerala roads masquerading as highways have an 80km/h limit. Would be money grab if they put any limits lesser than 100km/h in the Madurai- Tirunelveli stretch.

Only if they did half the work in changing the 90° junctions instead of putting metal barricades in the middle of the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohitoasis (Post 5458618)
I expect most of to be driving down to Kerala for Christmas and New year.

What's the current status of the Coimbatore bypass Rohit? Would be driving from Palakkad to Chennai this Sunday and intend to start at 6 AM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subincb (Post 5460231)
I am planning the same route on 23rd Dec. Would be nice to know the road condition.

One of my cousins is taking the same route to Kollam tomorrow. Will get to know the road conditions and will share the same here. Around 3 months back, for a changé, I took the Blr-Salem-Pkd-Ekm-Allpy-Kollam route. It was time time consuming and tiring after Thrissur. Had to take an extended break of 1.5hrs in Ekm at wife's place before resuming the journey to Kollam:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoy (Post 5460273)
Planning to drive to Guruvayur this week and thinking of going via Mysore. How is the road condition via Nilambur? Is it worth taking instead of Coimbatore with a 5AM start from HSR Layout?

This would take longer time for sure unless you want to try a different route. Fastest route to Thrissur & Guruvayur is still via Salem-Cbr-Plkd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 5460343)
What's the current status of the Coimbatore bypass Rohit? Would be driving from Palakkad to Chennai this Sunday and intend to start at 6 AM.

Was just thinking of giving you update by Whatsapp. Opened the thread and saw your message.

Coimbatore L&T Bypass is clean as a whistle. No issues at all.
The road work between L&T Bypass and Walayar is now concentrated on the stretch towards Kerala. So only people driving towards Kerala will have some delay. Not the other way round.

The direction from Palakkad to Chennai would not have any problem at all. Just some scraped off surface to drive down for that 12 Km stretch.
Within Kerala the only issue is half a kilometre at Naragampalli bridge. 2 Minutes max to cross that stretch.

Safe drive ahead.

Hi, I am planning to drive from Vadakara to Bangalore on new year eve. What would be the best route to take?
1. Vadakara - Calicut - bathery - Gundulpet - Mysore - Bangalore
2. Vadakara - Iritty - Makutta - Gonikoppa - Hunsur - Mandya - Bangalore
3. Or any other routes, kindly recommend

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferokan (Post 5461096)
Hi, I am planning to drive from Vadakara to Bangalore on new year eve. What would be the best route to take?

I'd say Vadakara-Kuttyadi-Mananthavady-Mysore could be the shortest.

Hello All,
We will be travelling to Kochi (Near to Cherai beach) and while coming back , i was thinking of taking the Athirapalli road via Chalakudi to Valparai and back to Coimbatore (Will be staying a night at my uncle's place)

Next day, Start back to bangalore.

Any experience on road conditions between Chalakudi and Valparai?

Thanks in Advance

I drove from Bangalore to Thekkedy today via Salem-Dindigul-Theni. Roads are excellent all the way till Thekkedy with only minor diversions due to overbridge construction. Single lane road after Dinidigul is manageable and you get long empty stretches from time to time for overtaking.

Started at 5:30 and reached by 2 pm with easy driving at sane speeds.

I am next driving to Kumarakom . How is the route from Thekkedy To Kumarakom ? Any must see view points along the route ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper21 (Post 5461421)
Any experience on road conditions between Chalakudi and Valparai?

Conditions in the first half of the stretch is decent, but the road becomes worse as you get into the forest stretch after Vazhachal. The last 25-30 kms is totally pothole ridden, so expect to drive very slowly - especially if you're in a low GC vehicle.

We drove from Bangalore to Kodungallur on 22nd. It was a pretty smooth drive, with reasonable amounts of traffic on the way.

I used Waze to track all the speed cameras on the way, and nearly all of them were recorded on Waze, with the app providing alerts accordingly. All of the speed cameras were fixed, except one mobile camera, which was stationed near the Neliyampathy forest stretch.

Guys is the Wayand ghat roads open after the recent long wide body trailer crossing the area? Planning to drive down today to calicut from Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint_Krish (Post 5463104)
Guys is the Wayand ghat roads open after the recent long wide body trailer crossing the area? Planning to drive down today to calicut from Bangalore.

That was an overnight operation and they cleared it in few hours.
I am driving down tomorrow. Would be good if you could report anything to be aware of, after your drive. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint_Krish (Post 5463104)

It is open, the trailers crossed over a couple of nights ago. There was a huge traffic jam on the ghat yesterday which lasted almost the whole day, started by a bus breakdown and compounded by the holiday traffic. Today should be better.