Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-88.html)

I guess after the NH47 4L completion, its always better to take NH7/47 combo compared to Mettur,
unless one wants to enjoy the scenic drive and the Stanley reservoir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1904639)
I guess after the NH47 4L completion, its always better to take NH7/47 combo compared to Mettur,

But you know the speedy work in Kerala due to the best political system in country :D.

I remember the Chalakkudy flyover pillars standing since almost the same time our Electronic city flyover started. Now we have a 10KM elevated highway where chalakkudy still not not have the 200M flyover ready for use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1904639)

Drove from Kerala to Bangalore today. Four laning of Komarapalayam to Salem sector is almost complete. There are no more diversions except for a short stretch near Salem by-pass.

Also, it seems that four laning work would soon start from Chengapalli to Walayar. Saw surveyors on the road as well as markings on the road indicating the start and end points of bye passes at Avinashi and couple of small towns on the way.

-- Wind

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind (Post 1906951)
Also, it seems that four laning work would soon start from Chengapalli to Walayar. Saw surveyors on the road as well as markings on the road indicating the start and end points of bye passes at Avinashi and couple of small towns on the way.

That is great news. So, NH47 will be 4 lane all the way up to Kerala border.

Everyone can reach till Kerala border very fast. And then debate over a cup of tea whether NH47 should be 30m or lesser. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbraj (Post 1907007)
That is great news. So, NH47 will be 4 lane all the way up to Kerala border.

Everyone can reach till Kerala border very fast. And then debate over a cup of tea whether NH47 should be 30m or lesser. :Frustrati

Aramam motel would be a good place to debate on 30 meters. :-)

Dug up this old story from The Hindu.

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : NHAI gearing up to widen Chengapalli-Walayar stretch

The article states that Civil work is expected to commence by June, 2010 which seems to be on track based on observations. The question is will the project be completed within 20 months?

-- Wind

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind (Post 1907080)

That article says : "the first stretch from Chengapalli to Nilambur (42.705 km), where it would touch the already widened Coimbatore bypass, would facilitate six-lane traffic while the 12 km segment from Madukkarai to Walayar would be four-lane."

When was the Coimbatore bypass widened ? Isn't it still 2 lane ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kala (Post 1907381)
That article says : "the first stretch from Chengapalli to Nilambur (42.705 km), where it would touch the already widened Coimbatore bypass, would facilitate six-lane traffic while the 12 km segment from Madukkarai to Walayar would be four-lane."

When was the Coimbatore bypass widened ? Isn't it still 2 lane ?

It is still two lanes

This project has been divided into three stages:
1. Chengapalli to L&T Bypass StartingPoint - six lanes
2. L&T By Pass Starting Point to L&T By Pass finishing point - four lanes
3 L&T Bypass finishing point to Walayar. - four lanes

Source:
http://www.tnpcb.gov.in/pdf/NH_47_chen_wal_eng.pdf
The Hindu : Front Page : Preliminary works underway for widening NH-47

Is there a strike in TN tomorrow? Just got a call from my parents that there is some sort of strike or hurt-all (harthal) tomorrow in TN. Any info ? Was planning a BLR-COK drive. Don't know whether I have to look for alternate routes to byepass TN

Quote:

Is there a strike in TN tomorrow?
Nothing that I've heard until now. I guess you can drive peacefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbraj (Post 1904559)
TVM-Ayur-Anchal-Shencottah-Madurai would be ~5.5 hours drive time, distance of ~320 KM.
TVM-Nagercoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai is ~340 KM I guess. During day time, traffic in TVM-Nagercoil stretch (70 km) takes around 2 hours. And overall time for Madurai will be 6.5 hours. But if you are starting at 5AM, then Nagercoil option looks better option.

Went and came back from Madurai via Nagarcoil route. Started from Tvm at 6.00 AM and reached Madurai by 10.45 AM. But when I came back started from Madurai by 12.30 PM reached Nagarcoil by 5.00 PM and reached Tvm by 7.00 PM.

Roads were excellent after some 15 Kms from Nagarcoil except for some bumps and dips near the bridges. Wanted to come back via Shencottah but couldnt identify the turning point to Shencottah in Madurai bypass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlover98 (Post 1910238)
Roads were excellent after some 15 Kms from Nagarcoil except for some bumps and dips near the bridges.

Near Tirunelveli, how is the bridge construction going on? Is the traffic still being diverted to one side at few places?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlover98 (Post 1910238)
Wanted to come back via Shencottah but couldnt identify the turning point to Shencottah in Madurai bypass.

While coming from Dindigul on NH7, at Samayanallur, left takes one into Madurai city. From this point, diversion to NH208 towards Shencottah is 12 KMs. There are clear signages. This would be after Tirumangalam town. One need not enter the Tirumangalam town.

Coming from Madurai town, one would have to hit NH7 first, reach Tirumangalam.

Did anybody recently tried the Bangalore > Kanakapura > Kollegal > Chamrajnagar > Sathy route (NH 209) to go towards Kerala or CBE? Please update on the road conditions. If they can make this a good road, I am sure it will take lot of load off the regular Hosur road route.

One of my friends went to Kerala recently (<30 days) and he reported that the Kanakapura-Kollegala route is in good condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1913880)
One of my friends went to Kerala recently (<30 days) and he reported that the Kanakapura-Kollegala route is in good condition.

Does this mean no potholes and clean road? My knowledge is pretty old, but saw many potholes of the road? Have they recently (off late) done any tarring?

This is what my friend cooldube said in Apr 2010:
"NH-209 is now quite good all the way from B'lore till Chamarajanagara. In fact, Nanjangud - C'nagar road is in a bad state in comparison."