Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-782.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by treadmark (Post 4474933)
Radisson Blu hotel (Salem)

What in the world! :Shockked:

That place is like so well lit with the construction of the flyover happening and a main junction besides Radisson Blu and so many vehicles passing by. I mean, it isn't a dark area or a desolate stretch by any means.

I usually pass this area around 10-11 PM. Used to be much later before but ever since I depart Chennai around 5-6 PM, I cross Salem early now.

This is scary! :( I travel alone 9 out of 10 times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 4477290)
What in the world! :Shockked:

That place is like so well lit with the construction of the flyover happening and a main junction besides Radisson Blu and so many vehicles passing by. I mean, it isn't a dark area or a desolate stretch by any means.

I usually pass this area around 10-11 PM. Used to be much later before but ever since I depart Chennai around 5-6 PM, I cross Salem early now.

This is scary! :( I travel alone 9 out of 10 times.

Even I have changed my start time from Bangalore to 5 PM from the usual 10 PM.

But then I cross this stretch on my return around 1 AM on Monday's and it won't be deserted any day.

And as you said it's me alone most of the times.

Cheers!

Dear BHPians,

Planning a trip to Mysore from Kochi next week. We have a 3 year old with us and prefer to avoid potholed roads. Google maps is showing kochi - Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - ChamarajaNagar - Mysore route. Is this the best route?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu (Post 4477666)
Planning a trip to Mysore from Kochi next week.[...] Google maps is showing kochi - Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - ChamarajaNagar - Mysore route.

I'm sure Google recommended this in its considerable wisdom, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd take Kochi-Thrissur-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore which is shorter. But then again, the Google route runs via NH 544 for a considerable distance which would cut the time required a bit.

The Satyamangalam route has Dimbam ghat which I understand is prone to traffic jams. The Nadugani ghat I think has comparatively wider roads and less hairpin bends (but it is quite curvy and induces travelling sickness in my children).

Not sure of food/rest options along the Satymangalam route once you turn off NH 544; but in the Nilambur route you are never too far from a decent food/restroom stop.

Then there is the impact of the floods. No updates on the Nadugani route since then, actually.

All said and done, with your constraints you might be better off taking the Dimbam route via Satyamangalam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu (Post 4477666)
Dear BHPians,

Planning a trip to Mysore from Kochi next week. We have a 3 year old with us and prefer to avoid potholed roads. Google maps is showing kochi - Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - ChamarajaNagar - Mysore route. Is this the best route?

Thanks.

I took the route recommended by Binand but this was exactly an year back. Surprisingly, the ghat section was empty and was a breeze to drive but heard traffic can get really horrible on this stretch. GPS signal on my phone acted strange and had to rely on the in car navigation that routed via Coimbatore. Here are the details:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4287648

How about the roads to Trivandrum from Tirunelveli? Heard that Nagercoil section is bad. Is there a way to avoid Nagercoil?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu (Post 4477955)
How about the roads to Trivandrum from Tirunelveli? Heard that Nagercoil section is bad. Is there a way to avoid Nagercoil?

Thanks!

As per feedbacks in the below thread, the route via Nagercoil is better. When are you planning to take this stretch? I can share some feedback on Monday.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4470574

Thanks for the reply Arun_josie. We are planning to do the Nagercoil stretch on Oct 19. Will wait for your update.

What is the status of Kuthiran Tunnels? Immediately after the flood, one of the tunnels towards Kerala had opened for relief / emergency vehicles. Do that tunnel in normal operation now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sree73 (Post 4478574)
What is the status of Kuthiran Tunnels? Immediately after the flood, one of the tunnels towards Kerala had opened for relief / emergency vehicles. Do that tunnel in normal operation now?

Hi, Covered in posts 11703 to 11706 of this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu (Post 4478017)
Thanks for the reply Arun_josie. We are planning to do the Nagercoil stretch on Oct 19. Will wait for your update.

I have posted my update on Nagercoil - Trivandrum route here,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4478984

Update about Kuthiran - The roads are very well patched up and re-tarred in some stretch. Crossed the ghat in less than 5 minutes today afternoon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheroad (Post 4481139)
Update about Kuthiran - The roads are very well patched up and re-tarred in some stretch. Crossed the ghat in less than 5 minutes today afternoon.

how is vadakkanchery ? the 3-4km stretch in front of diana hotel, beneath the flyover which is perpetually 'under construction' ?

No issues. Can cover in couple of minutes now in most of the time.

Today, had a Coimbatore-Thrissur drive. I saw that new type of speed cameras installed by Kerala MVD have come up in the Wadakanchery-Walayar stretch. Read in press that they calculate the average speed of yours in between the camera and send fine challans. Most of the cameras are installed in between the signal lights. So chances that you would be caught, if you drive above the speed limits, are high. I could count upto 7 numbers between Walayar and Palghat.