Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 20:15   #11461

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I had plans of visiting Idukki and Munnar over the weekend, should I reconsider ?
It is best that you drop your plans of visiting Idukki and Munnar. The present situation in Kerala is very bad with severe water logging and landslides at several places. Most of the rivers have overflown and the State Electricity Board has planned to open more shutters of the Idukki dam tomorrow morning as the water level is increasing uncontrolably even with one shutter open. So the situation might get even worse with severe rains predicted by the meterological department for the next 48 hours in Idukki and surrounding districts.
Old 9th August 2018, 20:21   #11462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I had plans of visiting Idukki and Munnar over the weekend, should I reconsider ?
Please reconsider because government has opened up a shutter of a dam in Idukki and collector has sounded red alert all throughout the district and two neighbouring districts. Also Palakkad town is flooded as of now if you're taking that route.
Old 9th August 2018, 20:29   #11463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Thanks, Are there any good restaurants on the likes of Suprabhatam (Neendakara) (or) Gowrishankar (Kollam) on the Trivandrum - Kollam stretch?

The reason I'm asking is I'll be landing at around 19:45 tomorrow. Its difficult to reach Kollam before 21:00 and I'm sure I can't starve until then

So, I was looking for inputs!
Really sorry. I'm totally blank on the restaurants after Trivandrum ends. Because I've never had the chance. In that timing I can suggest a couple of ones in Attingal that I know of. A Sree Saravana Bhavan and an Aariyas (both nowhere in the league of Gowrishankar I must warn you. Strictly ok.)
And hey happy journey !!
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:30   #11464
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Are there any good restaurants on the likes of Suprabhatam (Neendakara) (or) Gowrishankar (Kollam) on the Trivandrum - Kollam stretch?
Restaurants similar to Suprabhatam and Gowrishankar are not available in KLM-TVM stretch. Don't waste your time looking. Coming from Tvm airport, I guess your best options will be some of those pure-veg hotels near Kazhakootam. I don't remember the names of those pure veg hotels as I normally prefer Thakkaram in this area. After Kazhakootam, it will be hard to find a decent restaurant, let alone good pure veg. Also please check for Aryas enroute.

Last edited by Flyer : 9th August 2018 at 20:34.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:49   #11465
BHPian

From what I heard on the evening news, all dam shutters are being opened up, this could result in flooding in quite a few places.
Old 9th August 2018, 21:05   #11466
BHPian

At shanghumukham, old coffee house is reasonably good: https://goo.gl/maps/rS7n2Q6zbzJ2

You can also try Villa Maya: https://goo.gl/maps/4rS5KfWnbHy
Old 10th August 2018, 09:44   #11467
BHPian

Tourist vehicles and heavy goods vehicles are banned in Idukki District by the District Collector due to the heavy rains. Anyone travelling to this area please abandon your trip.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:03   #11468
BHPian

Thanks Kraken & Flyer - Let me probably stick to the Punjabi Dhaba that's near the NEXA showroom.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:45   #11469
BHPian

Idukki (Munnar) is not a tourist destination now. Anybody planning to visit Munnar please cancel your plans. I'm sure people in Kerala are aware of the situation. I would like to warn Bhpians and tourists from other states planning to visit (or enroute) to Munnar. It is impossible to reach there now. All roads are blocked. Situation is very dangerous. Many tourists currently in Munnar are stuck there.

Three shutters of the dam are open now. About 1,50,000 liters of water is flowing out PER SECOND flooding the whole region. Current plan is to increase this to 3 Lakh liters per second to keep water level of dam in control. Situation will only worsen as heavy rain continues.

Certain parts of Palakkad (including Palakkad town), Malappuram, Wayanad, and Ernakulam (Aluva) are also flooded. Flights to & from Kochi are likely to be cancelled due to flooding in the airport.

Quote:
Thanks Kraken & Flyer - Let me probably stick to the Punjabi Dhaba that's near the NEXA showroom.
Are you talking about the small joint near Aryaas? But I don't think Punjabi Dhaba is a pure veg hotel.

There is also another Punjabi restaurant (not pure veg also) between Technopark and Kazhakootam stretch, called Dhaba project. I have heard good reviews about it. I personally haven't visited both these restaurants, so I cannot tell you how good (or bad) they are.

Last edited by Flyer : 10th August 2018 at 10:59.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:52   #11470
BHPian

I'm planning to travel to Thenhipalam (Calicut University campus) this weekend (on Sunday). As the ghat roads are blocked, planning to take the Coimbatore-Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram route. Any update on the condition of this route?
Old 10th August 2018, 11:02   #11471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I'm planning to travel to Thenhipalam (Calicut University campus) this weekend (on Sunday). As the ghat roads are blocked, planning to take the Coimbatore-Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram route. Any update on the condition of this route?
Not advisable currently. As many parts of Palakkad, including Palakkad town and many places and roads in Malappuram are heavily flooded.

Last edited by Flyer : 10th August 2018 at 11:15.
Old 10th August 2018, 11:30   #11472
BHPian

Planning to travel to Palai next weekend for Onam vacation. Due to non availability of ticket I may have to travel by my Sedan with family. How is the road condition from Coimbatore ?
Old 10th August 2018, 12:02   #11473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Planning to travel to Palai next weekend for Onam vacation. Due to non availability of ticket I may have to travel by my Sedan with family. How is the road condition from Coimbatore ?
Please see my above posts. Palakkad, Malappuram routes are currently not suitable for travel as they are heavily flooded. I hope things will get better near to Onam if rain stops.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:03   #11474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Not advisable currently. As many parts of Palakkad, including Palakkad town and many places and roads in Malappuram are heavily flooded.
That's the same news I got from my colleague who's from Perinthalmanna. Thoothappuzha seems to be at the brim. Even the route via Alathur-Chelakkara-Wadakkanchery-Kunnankulam has some parts going through fields on both sides and that's worrying.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 12:15   #11475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Even the route via Alathur-Chelakkara-Wadakkanchery-Kunnankulam has some parts going through fields on both sides and that's worrying.
This is the situation of such roads in Malappuram now.

Last edited by Flyer : 10th August 2018 at 12:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks