Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-750.html)

Kindly suggest the best route to reach Chengannur, I will be starting from Bangalore tomorrow at 12 PM & will cross Aluva by 9 PM (presumably).

1.) Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Changanassery-Chengannur

2.) Angamaly-Ernakumalam-Cherthala-Alleppey-Changanassery-Chengannur

Rgds,
Vinod

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 4383390)
Kindly suggest the best route to reach Chengannur, I will be starting from Bangalore tomorrow at 12 PM & will cross Aluva by 9 PM (presumably).

I had traveled this route in last December 3. I would prefer the second route,

2.) Angamaly-Ernakulam-Cherthala-Alleppey-Changanassery-Chengannur.

The MC road stretch from Angamali to Chenganassery is too slow generally. Others may be able to give more recent inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 4383390)

If you have no specific purpose to come via Palakkad, Thrissur, I would suggest to consider Dindigul, Theni, Kumili, Mundakkayam, Ranni route also.

I am planning a travel from Pune to Munnar in the first week of August/ last week of July in my Scross, with wife and 4 year old kid.

I have 9 days for this vacation.

kindly help with the following queries

1> First day stop over Banglore/ Electronic City or Hosur and recommended hotel (budget only :-))
2> 5 days itinerary for Kerala starting Munnar, also recommended places to stay
3> On the return leg I want to visit murdeshwar and south Goa. How are the road conditions on this route and other interesting places to cover.

Appreciate your reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashant (Post 4384021)
1> First day stop over Banglore/ Electronic City or Hosur and recommended hotel (budget only :-))

When coming from Pune side and wanting to go into TN, the optimal route is via the NICE Ring Road (assuming you are OK with the exorbitant toll) from Nelamangala, which then bypasses pretty much all the infrastructure and facilities of Bangalore. Your best bet would be to push a bit further ahead and park overnight in Hosur, which will definitely have something suitable for your budget. Claresta and TGI are in the 2.5-3k ballpark but have excellent reviews.

Thanks. I guess I can stretch on the first day. It will be around 16 hrs drive including breaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashant (Post 4384050)
Thanks. I guess I can stretch on the first day. It will be around 16 hrs drive including breaks.

Don't think it will take that long. Pune to Hosur would be around 900 km, which should be manageable in 11-12 hours of driving and maybe 14 hours with breaks accounted.

Edit: I just noticed your proposed vacation time. That would be peak monsoon time down south. Especially in Kerala, whole days could be washed out. Be aware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashant (Post 4384050)

I have done this route (from Pune to Hosur) in a Honda Brio. I started at 05:00 AM from Pune and reached Hosur by 07:30 PM. Took 4 breaks and 3 breaks for fuelling.

I think you may be able to cover this stretch in 13-14 hours. The sad part is you can't avoid Bangalore's evening traffic unless you start around 02:00 AM or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4384059)
Don't think it will take that long. Pune to Hosur would be around 900 km, which should be manageable in 11-12 hours of driving and maybe 14 hours with breaks accounted.

Edit: I just noticed your proposed vacation time. That would be peak monsoon time down south. Especially in Kerala, whole days could be washed out. Be aware.

That is the idea to see Kerala in monsoon. August first week I believe we will not get very heavy rain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTorque (Post 4384066)
I have done this route (from Pune to Hosur) in a Honda Brio. I started at 05:00 AM from Pune and reached Hosur by 07:30 PM. Took 4 breaks and 3 breaks for fuelling.

I think you may be able to cover this stretch in 13-14 hours. The sad part is you can't avoid Bangalore's evening traffic unless you start around 02:00 AM or so.

We'll start around 4:00 AM. Considering the monsoon time I believe it will take more than usual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashant (Post 4384084)
That is the idea to see Kerala in monsoon. August first week I believe we will not get very heavy rain.

Actually Kerala has a fairly long rainy season going from June to November. The southwest monsoon will be in full fury during August, especially in areas up in the western ghats (like Munnar). If you are prepared for it, then by all means go ahead. Kerala is incredibly beautiful during monsoons - it is wondrous to watch the lush greenery all around during this period. All waterfalls (Idukki district has dozens of them) will be in full flow too.

The only respite from rains during this period is for about a couple of weeks when southwest monsoon is spent and northeast hasn't arrived. This happens towards the latter half of September.

Here's a link that a quick search threw up: https://www.prokerala.com/kerala/climate.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTorque (Post 4384066)

Bangalore traffic shouldn't matter if taking NICE road. Coming from Tumkur road getting into NICE shouldn't be a problem at all and exit at the Hosur road. After exit, a couple of Kms could have some traffic that's it.

KK

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata (Post 4384138)
Bangalore traffic shouldn't matter if taking NICE road.
KK

Oh okay. Maybe my time was not right. When I travelled there was very heavy traffic from Nelamangala to Attibele.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4384059)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashant (Post 4384084)

Given how monsoon behaved in last 3 years, nothing can be predicted.:OT

But generally if you have 5-6 days in Kerala, you will experience sunny days for sure in August.

Thanks. So It will be either August or late September then.

Can you guys please help on rest 2 points

2> 5 days itinerary for Kerala starting Munnar, also recommended places to stay
3> On the return leg I want to visit murdeshwar and south Goa. How are the road conditions on this route and other interesting places to cover.

Drove Bangalore - Thrissur - Guruvayoor today. Smooth drive. Traffic was thin and most of the fastag lanes were drive through. Have not done palakkad thrissur in a long long time, so can't judge any change in condition. Overall apart from the small stretch at kuthiran and around it, rest of it seems mostly done. Kuthiran itself roads were pretty decent. Somehow was under the impression that this under construction stretch was 20-30km, but realized it is now just the stretch around kuthiran itself that is pending. Maybe 5-10 km of the full stretch. Maybe wrong though.

Mannuthy flyover is open as mentioned in an earlier post.