Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 21:52   #10861
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Gents - can I reach Perinthalmanna the same evening, with a late start from Bangalore (starting time 1400Hrs from HSR Layout)? The route can be via Kanakpura->Chamrajnagar->Gundlupet or Mysore->Gundlupet. If that is not possible, can I make it at least to Nilambur? And any advice on a short resting place? (solo traveler). Any updates on the road conditions?
Nilambur would be very much possible, at least by 8-9 PM. But that would also mean you would have to descend nadugani ghats after dusk. There is a good possibility of fog/mist during this time of the year, so keep that in mind.
sandsun7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 22:50   #10862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gents - can I reach Perinthalmanna the same evening, with a late start from Bangalore (starting time 1400Hrs from HSR Layout)? The route can be via Kanakpura->Chamrajnagar->Gundlupet or Mysore->Gundlupet. If that is not possible, can I make it at least to Nilambur? And any advice on a short resting place? (solo traveler). Any updates on the road conditions?

PS: Given a choice, I do not prefer late night driving and try to find a camping ground by around 1930-2000Hrs and then start early morning the next day.
8 to 9pm at Nilambur is feasible assuming Nadugani is not fogged out.Else stay the night at Gundlupet or Gudalur.At Gudalur Sasthapuri and GGT Grand were good for a town of Gudalur standards
Been a while since I went that way.Personally I would not drive the ghats after dark,not worth the adventure for me just a personal preference that is all.Else come via Palakkad Cherplassery Perinthalmanna.Plenty of wayside facilities and no ghats to worry about.
Old 16th November 2017, 23:45   #10863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Consider 8-9 hours to reach Perinthalmanna. I prefer the Salem - Palakad road than Chamarajnagar route as the drive will be easy on driver.

If you can reach upto Nilambur, then Perinthalmanna is just one more hour ahead (not much traffic after 9 PM).

In case you choose the Nilambur route, do not go via Chamaraj Nagar, instead take Kanakpura - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysuru ORR - Gundlupet route.
Old 17th November 2017, 01:47   #10864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gents - can I reach Perinthalmanna the same evening, with a late start from Bangalore (starting time 1400Hrs from HSR Layout)?
I easily reach Perinthalmanna by 10 PM when starting at around the same time, from Marathahalli. And I take the Salem-Palakkad route. Driving solo.

Only thing to watch out is to take the Palakkad-Cherpulassery-Perinthalmanna route (not Palakkad-Mannarkad-Perinthalmanna, which is longer and has heavier traffic).
Old 17th November 2017, 06:54   #10865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7
But that would also mean you would have to descend nadugani ghats after dusk. There is a good possibility of fog/mist during this time of the year, so keep that in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
Else stay the night at Gundlupet or Gudalur.At Gudalur Sasthapuri and GGT Grand were good for a town of Gudalur standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by arijithn
Consider 8-9 hours to reach Perinthalmanna. I prefer the Salem - Palakad road than Chamarajnagar route as the drive will be easy on driver.
Thank you for the warning on the mist part. Driving solo, I feel I should be at Nadukani by around 2000Hrs. I have a function to attend in the suburbs of Perinthalmanna the next day morning (but only need to reach there at the right time, not earlier).

Google Maps shows me it would take 5 Hrs 49 mins to reach Nadugani ghats from Bangalore. So with a 1400Hrs start, I should be there by around 2000Hrs. My destination would still be around 90kms away, but with an early morning start I can reach the place right on schedule. So in that case perhaps I can drop my anchor some where in between Gudalur and Nadugani.

The Bangalore->Salem->Palakkad route, I understand would be simpler and easier to drive. But I have got bored driving up and down that road. May be I would still keep this as my "Plan Bravo" route (or route on the return leg).

Quote:
In case you choose the Nilambur route, do not go via Chamaraj Nagar, instead take Kanakpura - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysuru ORR - Gundlupet route.
Thanks. But then is it worthwhile to take the Kanakpura Malavalli route as well? There were some rough patches on that route as well. Or should I stick to the usual Mysore route (via Ramanagara et.al). I am starting my journey at off-peak hours??

Last edited by sachinpk : 17th November 2017 at 07:00.
Old 17th November 2017, 07:34   #10866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Bangalore->Salem->Palakkad route, I understand would be simpler and easier to drive. But I have got bored driving up and down that road. May be I would still keep this as my "Plan Bravo" route (or route on the return leg).

Thanks. But then is it worthwhile to take the Kanakpura Malavalli route as well? There were some rough patches on that route as well. Or should I stick to the usual Mysore route (via Ramanagara et.al). I am starting my journey at off-peak hours??
Kanakpura malavalli bannur route is good apart from 1km inside bannur town. Would recommend over the regular route.

But would still recommend the Salem route for the to journey, you can come back via nadugani. I don't recall any decent place between gudalur and nadugani. So given your constraints the Salem route maybe more practical. Even if you stay at gudalur and start early, you are most likely to hit fog in nadugani.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th November 2017 at 07:35.
Old 17th November 2017, 08:05   #10867
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the warning on the mist part. Driving solo, I feel I should be at Nadukani by around 2000Hrs. I have a function to attend in the suburbs of Perinthalmanna the next day morning (but only need to reach there at the right time, not earlier).
If the function is at Morning then I would strongly suggest to take Salem route since last weekend there was blinding mist from dusk to dawn at Sholayur (near Attapadi reserve forest), I don't see it will be of any difference in Nadugani ~ Vazhikkadavu stretch because they all belong to the mountain stretch.

Also as Binand mentioned take Cherpulassery from Pallakkad to reach Perinthalmanna instead of Mannarkad, heard the roads have fresh tarmac from Kongad now.

Cheers!
Old 17th November 2017, 13:35   #10868
BHPian

How is the road condition of the following routes?

1. Thamarassery - Mukkom - Areacode - Malappuram

2. Areacode - Manjeri - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th November 2017, 17:51   #10869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
How is the road condition of the following routes?

1. Thamarassery - Mukkom - Areacode - Malappuram
This stretch is good except for a few kms before and after Areacode

2. Areacode - Manjeri - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Have not traveled Perinthalmanna-Kunnamkulam. Areacode-Manjeri-Perinthalmanna is good

But all the above roads are narrow with lots of twisties and will also see heavy traffic. But I guess you have already taken that into account
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 19:12   #10870
BHPian

Hi all,
Need to travel to Kochi from Bangalore in the first week of December; any tips on route conditions, roads to avoid etc?
Planning to start by 5 am, what time I can expect to reach Kochi if I start on a Friday or Saturday?

From Kochi, planning to go to chengannur, is it better to take the alapuzha to changanassery road? How is the MC road condition now?
Thanks in advance
Old 17th November 2017, 19:32   #10871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Hi all,
Need to travel to Kochi from Bangalore in the first week of December; any tips on route conditions, roads to avoid etc?
Planning to start by 5 am, what time I can expect to reach Kochi if I start on a Friday or Saturday?

From Kochi, planning to go to chengannur, is it better to take the alapuzha to changanassery road? How is the MC road condition now?
Thanks in advance
Straight forward route.Only problem area is between Vadakkencheri and Kuthiran.Other than that roads are all good.Ecity to Walayar should take you around 6hrs with breaks.Walayar to Mannuthy budget for 2hours.Mannuthy to Lulu would take about 2 hours.I would prefer the Alleppey and then the AC road as opposed to the MC road.Ecity to Walayar is one long food court,you would never go hungry on this road!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 11:17   #10872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Straight forward route.Only problem area is between Vadakkencheri and Kuthiran.Other than that roads are all good.Ecity to Walayar should take you around 6hrs with breaks.Walayar to Mannuthy budget for 2hours.Mannuthy to Lulu would take about 2 hours.I would prefer the Alleppey and then the AC road as opposed to the MC road.Ecity to Walayar is one long food court,you would never go hungry on this road!
Anybody passed through Vadakkencheri to Kuthiran recently? How is the road condition?
Old 18th November 2017, 12:47   #10873
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Anybody passed through Vadakkencheri to Kuthiran recently? How is the road condition?
I think the road condition is decent but I guess Ranjit meant the possibility of the odd traffic jam due to trucks and buses. This also depends on the time of the day I think. What are the source and destination of your drive ?

EDIT:just saw your earlier post. With a 5am start from Bangalore, you will be in the Kuthiran area around noon. But I think its better to take the chance via Kuthiran.

Last edited by NPV : 18th November 2017 at 12:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 14:36   #10874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think the road condition is decent but I guess Ranjit meant the possibility of the odd traffic jam due to trucks and buses. This also depends on the time of the day I think. What are the source and destination of your drive ?

EDIT:just saw your earlier post. With a 5am start from Bangalore, you will be in the Kuthiran area around noon. But I think its better to take the chance via Kuthiran.
Thanks.
Source is silk board junction Bangalore and destination is chengannur in Kerala. Since it would be heavy traffic from Kochi to chengannur, I am planning to halt in Kochi and resume next day morning. I am thinking at the minimum, 4 to 5 hours from Kochi to chengannur in the evening?
Old 18th November 2017, 22:58   #10875
BHPian

4 hours seems to be a good estimate to reach Chengannur from Kochi. An alternate that you can take for the journey would be via Dindigul, Theni, Kumily, Changanassery and to Changannur. Traffic should be less.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks