Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 16:00   #10846
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
How is the road broadening work between KKLM and Muvattupuzha coming along ? I am thinking of a drive in December, not yet decided on the dates.
work is still in progress, remember seeing few short sections where there is no road and few other diversions
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 21:55   #10847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Thanks for the inputs, that really helped with my plan.

Palakkad - Pattambi stretch is in a very bad state. Also had to go beyond up to Perinthalmanna, and that stretch was terrible.

When you say Palakkad ~ Perinthalmanna stretch as bad and terrible did you mean the road conditions or traffic?

If you haven't returned and if your origin is Perinthalmanna then would suggest to take Mannarkkad to reach Palakkad, this is good on road surface but need to live with the traffic and notorious Calicut ~ Palakkad buses though.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 06:39   #10848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Palakkad - Pattambi stretch is in a very bad state. Also had to go beyond up to Perinthalmanna, and that stretch was terrible.
If your final destination was Perinthalmanna, you should have mentioned that in the first post, since the canonical Palakkad-Perinthalmanna route is via Mundur-Cherpulassery (60 km, 1.5 hours). This route is (a) part NH 213, (b) has a good bypass connecting NH 544 to NH 213 avoiding Palakkad, (c) the non-NH sections have been recently resurfaced, and (d) sees much lesser traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
If you haven't returned and if your origin is Perinthalmanna then would suggest to take Mannarkkad to reach Palakkad, this is good on road surface but need to live with the traffic and notorious Calicut ~ Palakkad buses though.
See above comment. This route is to be avoided for Perinthalmanna-Palakkad unless one specifically needs to be in Mannarkad, due to longer distance and heavy traffic. Best route is via Cherpulassery.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 08:02   #10849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If your final destination was Perinthalmanna, you should have mentioned that in the first post, since the canonical Palakkad-Perinthalmanna route is via Mundur-Cherpulassery (60 km, 1.5 hours). This route is (a) part NH 213, (b) has a good bypass connecting NH 544 to NH 213 avoiding Palakkad, (c) the non-NH sections have been recently resurfaced, and (d) sees much lesser traffic..
I knew this one very well and last time when I took this route few months back some where around February, I noticed the stretch between Mundur and Kongad KPRP School was relaid. It was a different story from there till Mangalamkunnu junction and manageable post then till Cherpulassery.
Kadambazhipuram and Punjapadam had was so bad even buses were struggling to negotiate. That was the only reason I recommended the busy NH 966.

Its a relief to know that this stretch is good now.
Cheers!
Old 30th October 2017, 09:23   #10850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
When you say Palakkad ~ Perinthalmanna stretch as bad and terrible did you mean the road conditions or traffic?
If you haven't returned and if your origin is Perinthalmanna.
Cheers!
The road condition, plus there was heavy rain. All that together, it was a heck of a drive in the night. Oh, I am back in Bangalore. From Pattambi, that night I had to go to Calicut, and then from there headed back to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If your final destination was Perinthalmanna, you should have mentioned that in the first post, since the canonical Palakkad-Perinthalmanna route is via Mundur-Cherpulassery distance and heavy traffic.
I wanted to go to Pattambi only in the first place for the wedding. And then at the night, to Calicut. So took the Perinthalmanna road from Pattambi, and that was a very bad stretch for the first few Kilometers before the road diverts to Perinthalmanna, and added to that there was heavy showers.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:45   #10851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to go to Pattambi only in the first place for the wedding. And then at the night, to Calicut. So took the Perinthalmanna road from Pattambi
Not sure if that was a great idea (going Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-NH 213-Calicut). I think Pattambi-Valancheri-NH 66-Calicut makes a lot more sense. The NH 213 route, in the nights, sees very heavy truck movement since the bigger ones (that enter Kerala through Walayar and have consignments for Malabar destinations) are not allowed on this road during daytime.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:59   #10852
BHPian

Anyone recently drove to Calicut from Edappally through Varapuzha - Paravoor - Kodungallur - Chavakkad - Chamravattam may please share the road conditions. Heard it was in bad shape sometime ago.
Old 31st October 2017, 14:03   #10853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Anyone recently drove to Calicut from Edappally through Varapuzha - Paravoor - Kodungallur - Chavakkad - Chamravattam may please share the road conditions. Heard it was in bad shape sometime ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4287648

This was done 2 weeks back.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 09:56   #10854
BHPian

Looking "confidence boosters" here from experienced hill road veterans! Planning to drive first time from Madurai to Allepey via Thekkady in my Duster; yes long time back driven to Kodai hills from Palani in a Sedan; pretty much forgotten. How difficult is this terrain Madurai-Thekkady-Ashtamudi for newbies like me and what are the road conditions? Much appreciate any words of advice Cheers
Old 7th November 2017, 13:03   #10855
BHPian

The road is good and not very challenging. Drive carefully and be alert for oncoming vehicles around the corner. I did not find this difficult at all. Have a great drive. I own a Duster AWD and we did this drive in early October 2017. There was nothing worth noting.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 18:33   #10856
Senior - BHPian

Total Toll Amount Bangalore to Cochin ?

Friends, could someone please mention the total toll amount paid one way from Bangalore city to Cochin International Airport ? I am sure there are frequent road trip lovers here, I can not find my previous trip slips. Preparing mentally for a 1500 kms drive on the Xmas week (main points being Bangalore-Koothattukulam-Kottayam-Ranni-Kayamkulam and back)
Old 10th November 2017, 18:50   #10857
Senior - BHPian

Re: Total Toll Amount Bangalore to Cochin ?

Quote:
Friends, could someone please mention the total toll amount paid one way from Bangalore city to Cochin International Airport ?
Try this
arjithin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 18:57   #10858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Try this
Never knew such a tool existed ! Brilliant !
Thanks a Ton ! I found Rs.620
Old 10th November 2017, 20:01   #10859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never knew such a tool existed ! Brilliant !
Thanks a Ton ! I found Rs.620
Add Rs. 31 for the Coimbatore bypass which does not figure in that online tool.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 21:31   #10860
Senior - BHPian

Gents - can I reach Perinthalmanna the same evening, with a late start from Bangalore (starting time 1400Hrs from HSR Layout)? The route can be via Kanakpura->Chamrajnagar->Gundlupet or Mysore->Gundlupet. If that is not possible, can I make it at least to Nilambur? And any advice on a short resting place? (solo traveler). Any updates on the road conditions?

PS: Given a choice, I do not prefer late night driving and try to find a camping ground by around 1930-2000Hrs and then start early morning the next day.

Last edited by sachinpk : 16th November 2017 at 21:32.
sachinpk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks