Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 07:48   #8881
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
While returning, I need to go to Kozhikode. Now from Kozhikode, I have option to either go to Mangalore or Bangalore. How much time would Kozhikode-Bangalore and Kozhikode-Mangalore take. Also If I leave Kozhikode around 2 will I be able to cross Bandipur before it is closed after sunset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Kozhikode-Bangalore should take about 8 hrs.
For Kozhikode-Mangalore, the coastal route is not good on many stretches and will slow you down considerably. I'm not sure what would be the ideal alternate route. Maybe Kozhikode-Kasargod-Sullia-Mangalore ? @ampere should be able to clarify this
None of the above! Kozhikode-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Neligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Pune

I would say, start late afternoon from Calicut and halt at Mysore for the day. Drive to Pune the next day. 2PM is a good start to take you to Mysore for a break. No point driving to Bangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2015 at 07:56.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 07:52   #8882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
how much time would Kozhikode-Bangalore and Kozhikode-Mangalore take. Also If I leave Kozhikode around 2 will I be able to cross Bandipur before it is closed after sunset?
Budget 7-8 hours of driving time between Kozhikode and Bangalore. With a 2pm start you should cross the border by ~ 6pm. There is a Mad rush after 7.30-8. So do not delay post 2pm to be comfortable. This is for kalpetta bathery gundlepet Mysore Bangalore route. Expect heavy traffic between calicut and bathery.

Also note that there are 2-3 routes to Bangalore. Couple of routes are through the nagerhole santuary and one of these closes at 6pm ( manathavady kutta nagarhole hunsur Mysore Bangalore) . Not very sure of the other one ( manathavady bavalli handpost Mysore).

Would suggest to stick to the first one.

Kozhikode- Mangalore I assume would take 6-7 hours during peak times. Expect very very heavy traffic.

Edit: Just saw ampere's post. Just to Mysore from calicut will take 5-5.5 hours driving time.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 28th August 2015 at 07:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 08:58   #8883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
How is the condition of road between wadkkanchery and mannuthy? Is the potholes patched up?
Nope.Not even remotely. The condition of the road is terrible. Potholes everywhere, manic suicidal bus drivers round every corner, and crazy locals trying to overtake you on every turn.
Old 30th August 2015, 11:23   #8884
BHPian

Hi,

Any recent updates on the conditions of Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur stretch?
Old 30th August 2015, 14:19   #8885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
Hi,

Any recent updates on the conditions of Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur stretch?
no improvements, I travelled last week. But the Mysore - Guundalpet is better.
nishad.hameed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 12:43   #8886
Senior - BHPian

Back in action (?) after celebrating Onam at home. Returned via Kuttiadi ghat-Meenanangadi-Sulthan Bathery-Chamrajnagar route. Notes (and questions):-
1. The ghat road from Kuttiadi towards Niravilpuzha is in excellent condition. The heavy rains etc. in Kerala, has no effect on this road . From Niravilpuzha right upto the point at Meenanangadi, where the road joins the national highway the roads are pathetic. For the past five odd years, I have been travelling on this road and not even once I have seen this road in a decent shape. I don't know what is wrong here? Lazy people, who elect an even lazier local politician who just ignores these poor roads? Or some shortage of funds, and no one highlighting the same?
2. From Meenanangadi it is good roads all the way to the end of the forest in KA. From there on, the roads are good but some road construction going on. But that should not kind of slow down the vehicle very badly. Roads were also good between Gundlupet and Chamrajnagar. I also noticed very less traffic on this stretch yesterday. Was expecting more traffic, as many Malayalis would be returning after Onam.

How was the traffic situation on Mysore-Bangalore highway yesterday evening? We had avoided the Bavali-Handpost-Mysore route, mainly expecting some huge traffic pile ups on the highway.
Old 31st August 2015, 13:16   #8887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Nope.Not even remotely. The condition of the road is terrible. Potholes everywhere, manic suicidal bus drivers round every corner, and crazy locals trying to overtake you on every turn.
Drove this stretch on 29th Aug.The condition is bad; but better than it was last year. The potholes are a threat when you drive at night.
Old 31st August 2015, 17:23   #8888
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am planning a trip to Bangalore next weekend from Calicut. My last drive to Bangalore was in 2012. I used to take Calicut-Thamaraserry-Kalpetta-Bathery-Gundulpet-Mysore- Bangalore route. Recently i heard about some other routes by passing mysore. Please suggest me the best route available. We are planning to start by 1PM from Calicut.
Old 31st August 2015, 17:26   #8889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
None of the above! Kozhikode-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Neligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Pune

I would say, start late afternoon from Calicut and halt at Mysore for the day. Drive to Pune the next day. 2PM is a good start to take you to Mysore for a break. No point driving to Bangalore.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Pa...18.5204303!3e0

Hi Ampere,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to map a route. Is this the one you are suggesting? I believe a 2 PM start should get me to Mysore by 8 PM?
Old 31st August 2015, 17:38   #8890
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ampere,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to map a route. Is this the one you are suggesting? I believe a 2 PM start should get me to Mysore by 8 PM?
Bang-On!

Thats the route.

Mysore-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-Neligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Hubli-Pune.

Roads are very good. But yes, there will humps till Hiriyur.

Here is a thread on this route:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...option-10.html

If you start by 2PM, you should be in Mysore by 5-6PM itself.

Last edited by ampere : 31st August 2015 at 17:43.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 17:41   #8891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
I used to take Calicut-Thamaraserry-Kalpetta-Bathery-Gundulpet-Mysore- Bangalore route.
Did part of this stretch yesterday. We joined the Kalpetta-Bathery route at Meenangadi. The road was in excellent condition all the way till the KA state border beyond the forest. From then on roads were good 99% of the way till Gundlupet. In the 1%, there were some minor unpaved roads, due to road widening. But that would not make any impact on the journey time or comfort.

From Gundlupet to Mysore via Nanjangud, my understanding is that there are road widening work happening, and road surface is not that great. I have not used that route for ages, so don't know the latest status. I took the Gundlupet-Chamrajnagar-Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura route. Roads were good all the way till Bangalore. Speeds would get reduced at major towns, and at few villages where the roads are narrow and the front varendahs of the houses, just pop right onto the roads. We do this route to avoid heavy traffic at Mysore city and in the Mysore Bangalore state highway.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 18:08   #8892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
I am planning a trip to Bangalore next weekend from Calicut. My last drive to Bangalore was in 2012. I used to take Calicut-Thamaraserry-Kalpetta-Bathery-Gundulpet-Mysore- Bangalore route. Recently i heard about some other routes by passing mysore. Please suggest me the best route available. We are planning to start by 1PM from Calicut.
There are 3 main routes. One that you mentioned. Still the standard route. The other ones are

kalpetta- manathavady- bavalli- handpost- mysore-bangalore.

Kalpetta- bathery-gundlepet-chamrajnagar- kollegala-kanakpura- Bangalore.

I did a trip over the Onam weekend went to calicut via the kanakpura route and returned via manathavady- bavalli.

Overall the route to choose would depend on your day and time of travel, requirements for rest stops and other preferences.

The last few pages of the Bangalore -Calicut thread pretty much covers all the routes with some details. Link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3786389

Overall if you are traveling on a weekday, with a 1 pm start time, I would recommend the manathavady route. If it is a Saturday or sunday, would recommend the chamrajnagar route provided you are ok with the lack of family friendly stopping places on the route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 19:08   #8893
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Vadakkencherry-Bangalore round trip.

Bangalore Vadakkencherry on 28 Aug 15-Started from e-city @ 14: 00 hrs and reached my home at vadakkencherry @ 20: 30 hrs.

Return on 31 Aug at 07:00 hrs, reached home @ Whitefield @ 1330 hrs.

Roads are good, only rough patch is between Coimbatore and Walayar. Drive from Walayar to vadakkencherry is a bliss, though a regular in the route could not recognize some of the places due to the fourlaning and fly overs. Did Vadakkencherry to Walayar stretch in less than an hour, which used to be a 2.5 hrs affair before.

Last edited by shijinpr : 31st August 2015 at 19:09.
shijinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 12:58   #8894
BHPian

So, we finally completed our trip from Chennai to Thrissur and back.

This was the route taken during the onward journey:

Thiruvanmiyur -> Porur -> Sriperumbudur -> Vellore -> Ambur -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem -> Erode -> Avinashi -> Coimbatore Bypass -> Walayar -> Palakkad -> Vadakkenchery -> Mannuthy -> Thrissur.

Roads till Coimbatore bypass are absolutely excellent, plenty of rest stops along the way, 6 lanes till Dharmapuri, 4 lanes after that till Erode, after which stunning 6 lanes all the way till the Coimbatore bypass.

After that, all smooth sailing disappears as you enter Walayar. Roads are terribly messed up. Diversions everywhere.Some time later, a 4 lane highway appears till Palakkad. After that, the experience becomes utterly miserable.The road from palakkad to thrissur, through vaddakencherry is absolutely terrible.Suspension breaking potholes the size of craters, mad manic bus drivers jumping into your lane, absolute chaos, all the way into Thrissur.

I was utterly disappointed that people actually suggested this route.So for the return journey, I decided to look at an alternate route that will not take us through this torture.And, I found one! Very simple, really. Drive from Thrissur to Shoranur, then turn right and drive to Palakkad.The road is butter smooth, a patch or two of slightly rough tarmac, but most importantly, no potholes!

Here's the route that we took:

Swaraj round -> Vivekananda Road -> Thrissur Shoranur Road -> Mullurkara -> Cheruthuruthy -> Kulappully Junction. Then turn right at the junction into Palakkad Ponnani road. Follow road till palakkad, then rejoin the NH from the Coimbatore road. Google Maps link here: https://goo.gl/maps/NMe9c

This route is 81 Kms, 13 more than the route through vaddakencherry, but it is absolutely awesome to drive on. 0 potholes. We covered this entire stretch in 1.5 hours.

On the way back, we didn't take the route through Dharmapuri/Krishnagiri. We took the Ulundurpet route, as suggested by many folks on this thread. The road condition is good, even though the stretch from Salem to Ulundurpet does alternate between 2/4 lanes. That makes driving more stressful. Not just that, there are small towns all along the way, so every now & then a mad local would jump into our way and we would have to swerve to avoid them. Not the best route, if you're looking for peace of mind driving.

After Ulundurpet, the GST road is decent, though not even half as good as the Dharmapuri/Krishnagiri route. Lots of slow moving buses & trucks loaded with people & goods on that road, and it is only 4 lanes. The only saving grace? The route is 30-35 Kms shorter than the route through Dharmapuri/Krishnagiri. So, if you've got shorter travel time on your mind, look at this route. Else, nothing beats the awesome roads through NH 46.

Hope this account helps someone who is looking to travel to Kerala in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hey Rajeev!

We started at 4 AM, and reached Thrissur at 3 PM Thanks for your suggestions. They helped a lot!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 1st September 2015 at 13:03.
sourav9385 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 15:01   #8895
BHPian

I am traveling from Chennai to Kottayam via Kumili by last week of September. Have couple of queries

1. Plan to take an overnight stay at Dindigul . So can someone suggest a descent accommodation there ? Price range I am looking at is 1000 to 2000
2. What is the road condition between Dindigul to Kumili ?

Thanks for your reading and looking forward to hear from you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks