Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-588.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 3763096)
At Walayar, lane towards Palakkad gets blocked due to trucks parking so take opposite lane as we used to do during earlier days (Now its four lane, be careful!)

This is really pathetic. There is no sign board or a warning that vehicles ply in both directions at Walayar. I have seen many cars sticking to the left-side lanes towards palakkad and they stuck behind some lorries. By the time you realize your mistake, your lane will be filled with lorries. You cannot reverse as well or come out of it until the lorry traffic is cleared.

Since people go on wrong right-side lanes I have seen 2-3 accidents (a tipper lorry and an Alto collided). People from far away may not know vehicles come in wrong lanes as there is no warning. So please be careful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversteed (Post 3762943)
mallumowgli ette, we have one more guy to have a meet, the next time I'm around ;-)

Sure! Let me know when you come down from Utopia clap:. We will meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deemash (Post 3765416)
.... There is no sign board or a warning that vehicles ply in both directions at Walayar....l.

In fact, there is a "Compulsory Left" sign while coming from Coimbatore and you may end up in the queue if you follow rule. Better, ignore this sign and change to right lane and drive very carefully. Other than this, Walayar is perfectly alright.

Quick update from my recent trip to Edappally from Bangalore

Bangalore - Edappally: 24th July 2015
Route: Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad (bypass)-Thrissur-Edappally
Start time: 5:30 AM
Reached Edappally at 2:15 PM
Comments:
Edappally - Bangalore: 29th July 2015
Route: Same route as onward journey
Start time: 5:00 AM
Reached home at 1:30 PM
Comments:

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 3765576)
In fact, there is a "Compulsory Left" sign while coming from Coimbatore and you may end up in the queue if you follow rule. Better, ignore this sign and change to right lane and drive very carefully. Other than this, Walayar is perfectly alright.

Hi coolclouds, i will be doing BLR-Kochi in Sept, but will take NH47 only in return route to Bangalore. In that case will this lane problem be there? I understand from previous discussions, that this problem is only for people who travel onward from Blr to Kochi. So for Walayar-Coimbatore I need not change any lane and will keep to the left, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mnjdnght (Post 3765669)
Quick update from my recent trip to Edappally from Bangalore
....[*]I've been taking the Pollachi route for a while now so was delighted by the Chengappally - Coimbatore section.

@ Mnjdnght, how is this road compared to the Coimbatore road? I.e. if i take Kochi-Polachi-Dharapuram-Karur and NH 7 thereon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalDragon (Post 3766289)
how is this road compared to the Coimbatore road? I.e. if i take Kochi-Polachi-Dharapuram-Karur and NH 7 thereon?

If you wish to take Pollachi route, no need to go to Dharapuram and Karur.
Do this:
Kochi-Vadakkencherry on NH47-turn right at the Mangalam bridge (over the Mangalam River), then Nenmara-Kollengode-Meenakshipuram-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-turn right onto NH 47 at Avinashi bypass-Salem-NH 7 all the way to Bangalore via Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur.
Excellent roads, 2 laned from Vadakkencherry to Avinashi bypass but great condition.

Quote:

@ Mnjdnght, how is this road compared to the Coimbatore road? I.e. if i take Kochi-Polachi-Dharapuram-Karur and NH 7 thereon?

The route mentioned by NPV is the alternate route via Pollachi that I used to take before to avoid NH47 issues between Chengappally - Thrissur (road-work-inprogress/ traffic/ broken roads etc.)

Now having taken the regular NH47, I am inclined to prefer this over the Pollachi detour. Only about 20 KMs of Walayar - Marapalayam (start of L&T bypass) section is the factor to be considered. The Vadakkencherry - Thrissur section is common for both routes since 4 lane section of Vadakkencherry - Walayar section starts just (maybe a KM or two) after the turn off to Pollachi.

The problems written about Walayar as mentioned in this thread applies while coming from Coimbatore side. But overall Walayar woes may have dependency on time.

NH47 scores high on availability of stopping options while travelling with family which are relatively lesser on the Pollachi route.

Pollachi route trumps over NH47 in terms of scenic value. For all other reasons, my pick now would be NH47.

pollachi route v/s NH47

points against NH47 earlier:
1) chengapally - L&T strech filled with suspension breaking humps/bumps - crawl in 1st/2nd over them.
2) madukkarai to walayar is a pain
3) walayar to vadakkanchery 2L
4) vadakkanchery to mannuthi 2L

points against NH47 now :
only 2) and 4) remain now, each slightly worse than before.

Hence, for faster travel, still prefer NH47

Some road updates in Central Kerala:
Did a round trip from Tirur to Kumarakom via Mannarashala.Details below.
Tirur(vattathani)- BP Angadi- Chamravattom bridge-Ponnani: Good roads but few very bad potholes near Tirur town. a couple of them are very bad. Again, bad stretch of a few meters near Chamravattom bridge.

Ponnani-Chavakkad: Excellent roads, wide enough at most places. No damage to the surface yet.

Chavakkad-Kodungallur: Good roads, but very narrow at many stretches.
Kodungallur bypass: Good condition, 4 laned, but dotted with many intersection with signals.

Bypass end -N Paravur-Varapuzha : Good road surface, but very narrow at most stretches. On weekdays, this stretch could take a lot of time. Toll of 5 rs (one side) on varapuzha bridge still being levied. No other tolls.

Container road-Kochi (Kaloor) via Goshree bridge- High court - Kacheripady: The contained road is very scenic, fully 4 laned. Toll plaza construction is underway. as of now, no tolls. The expansion joints are very bumpy in all the flyovers in the stretch. Will really get a big jolt if you do high speeds on this stretch. Be very careful!

Kochi(kaloor) - Cherthala- Alapuzha - Mannarashala temple (formerly NH 47, now 66) : Excellent 4 laned roads with toll at Aroor (Rs 15 one side). Few signals with cameras. There are few rough patches around Alapuzha. Crossing Alapuzha town was a real pain and took lot of time. After Alapuzha, road is top notch up till Haripad.

Harippad (Mannarashala temple)- Alapuzha - AC road - Changanasherry-Kottayam-Kumarakom: Excellent upto Changanasherry. AC road is very scenic. I had done this road a few years ago, and the road condition is same as it was then - Good. Found plenty of seemingly good (from outside) eateries on this road.

Changanasherry- Kottayam is undergoing widening and is not in good condition with diversions and rough patches all the way. Crossing Kottayam town was easy. Kottayam- Kumarakom, road is narrow but excellent.

Kumarakom-Cherthala: excellent for a few kms, then on rough. Some giant potholes near Thannermukkam bund.

Cherthala-Edapally-Aluva-Angamaly-Thrissur town: Metro work hampers smooth movement til Aluva, then on road is good, but as many know here already, plenty of intersections with signals and speed cameras. The speed limit is 90 kmph but I rarely crossed 80-85 kmph on this stretch.

Trichur-Kecheri-Kunnamkulam bypass via akathiyoor: Excellent roads upto Kecheri. 4 laned at most places. We had evening tea from Aryas, near the shobha city. Neat hotel but needs bigger restrooms. Kunnamkulam bypass is decent- road is wide, is little uneven and has a few bad patches but still pretty much doable. Traffic was also light. This road joins the Thrissur-Kuttipuram road a couple of kms before Perumpilavu.

Perumpilvu-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Thirunavaya-Tirur: Excellent wide roads but plenty of speed cameras. Speed limit is 80 kmph. A couple of giant potholes near Kuttipuram bridge.
Tirur-Kuttipuram has few surprise potholes.

Google maps link: http://bit.ly/1MALisZ

Total distance covered was 552 kms according to car odometer.
Thanks for reading. Any further info, I will be more than happy to clarify.

Quote:

.... return route to Bangalore. In that case will this lane problem be there?...

No lane change/confusion while going towards Coimbatore :)

Update: Mysore - Bandipur - Nilambur -Kongad/Palakkad

Was driving back to Palakkad from Hyderabad the other day. Thought of taking a break at Mysore and then proceed via Bandipur for a change.The ongoing road work meant multiple diversions + rough patches + bumpy ride = No fun to drive at allAbsolute beauty, both the road surface and the scenic beautyIn absolute shambles, especially beyond Masinagudi/Ooty cross; No road and totally undriveable. Cursed myself for not taking the Masinagudi-ooty-Coimbatore-Palakkad instead.Good roads which get excellent after the Kerala border. Twisty but less traffic.Great surface all the way and fun to drive in spite of having to negotiate multiple small town traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M35 (Post 3768247)
Update: Mysore - Bandipur - Nilambur -Kongad/Palakkad

And sorry for not suggesting this:

Hyd - Devanahalli - Doddadballapur - Nelamangala - Neligere - Srirangapatna - Bannur - T Narasipur - Muguru - Chamarajanagar - CBE - Palakkad

Awesome roads in most cases. And for a break you may have to goto Mysore. But other wise this avoids both Mysore and Bangalore.

Hi,

Which is the best route to Nileshwar from Mysore?

Based on a few threads there seem to be three options:

1. Mysore-Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur-Kanhangad-Nileshwar
(Passing thru the exciting narrow forest b/w Bhagamandala-Panathur)

2. Mysore-Gonikoppa-Thaliparamba-Payyanur-Nileshwar

3. Mysore-Madikeri-Sullia-Cherkala-Nileshwar

Would be driving a Honda City.

Also, has anyone done the 24hr or half day houseboat cruise in Bekal? What was your experience.

Thanks,

Prasad

Latest update on the stretch between Palakkad and Avinashi:

Chandranagar flyover - the left most lane leads to Palakkad town (if you turn left) or to Koottupatha junction (on turning right) to proceed to Pollachi SH

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_141415_chandranagar_flyover.jpg

View from the top of Chandranagar flyover. The lane towards Thrissur from CBE side can be seen going at ground level

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_141515_chandranagar_flyover.jpg

Walayar Toll booth

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_142442_walayar_toll.jpg

Walayar Border. You can feel it the moment you are out of KL territory. Fortunately, this is the roughest patch between Walayar and Madukkarai

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_143139_walayar_border.jpg

Construction galore soon after the border area. The diversions have a decent surface

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_143439_construction_in_progress.jpg

Ettimadai, where a flyover construction is in progress

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_145125_ettimadai.jpg

As soon as you're done with the L&T bypass mess at Neelambur, you're greeted with this:

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_152617_neelamburnh.jpg

Somewhere near Avinashi. All the back-breaker humps are properly smoothened

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_153308_nh47.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversteed (Post 3770448)
Latest update on the stretch between Palakkad and Avinashi:

How is the progress of the work between Walayar and Madukkarai? The current road seems to be patched up. Also, is the flyover after Coimbatore bypass while going towards Avinashi done?

Guys, I'm planning a trip to Conoor next week, after spending a few days there, I'll be driving down to Thrissur. I need help in deciding the route; my current options are :

(1) Conoor-Metupalayam-Karamadai-Anaikatti-Kottathara-Mannarkkad-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur
(2) Conoor-Ooty-Nadugani-Edakkara-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur
(3) Conoor-Metupalayam-Annur-Karumathampatti-NH47-Thrissur (The old tried and tested route)

Time taken isn't an issue for me but, I'll be driving down in my Polo with my family (includes my 2yr old daughter and my pet dog) so I cant get too adventurous as well ( that's why I didn't mention the Manjoor-Mulli route )

Any feedback and road conditions would be appreciated