Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-55.html)

Hi guys
Planning to do Pune - Thrissur - Munnar in November.
From Pune, shall i head to Bangalore directly, then Mysore and ahead? I have to go to Thrissur first and then Munnar. So the Coimbatore route is out while going.

So, need help on Pune - Munnar via Thrissur.
Then on the way back, Munnar to Pune - this i can go via Coimbatore. Please suggest.

I might have a UV / SUV with me so bad roads can be taken.

@Bunny:
Pune to Thrissur,I don't know the common route Although I believe most tourist Buses goes via Bangalore.
Another Route is:
Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Dharwad-Mangalore-Calicut-Thrissur-Angamaly-Kothamangalam-Munnar

My Last Trip to Mangalore ,I remember NH17 is not really in good condition in most places.

If from Banglore to Thrissur ,Via Coimbattur is the easiest Route(While for Coimbatore-Bangalore route ,there are multiple routes inside TN).While from Thrissur to Munnar is Straight route till Angamaly via NH47.Thrissur to Angamaly Town ,turn Left to Reach Kothamangalam to Munnar via NH49.From Munnar ,Coimbattur is 150kms.

Currently driving from Mumbai to Thrissur. 30 kms more to go for Kasargode on NH17 (10.40 am). The road is terrible. Literally non existent. Been like that since NH63 byepass and beyond Ankola, Bhatkal through Mangalore and here. I just hope it gets better soon. Potholes are size of craters. Will update

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepclutch (Post 1503546)
@Bunny:
Pune to Thrissur,I don't know the common route Although I believe most tourist Buses goes via Bangalore.
Another Route is:
Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Dharwad-Mangalore-Calicut-Thrissur-Angamaly-Kothamangalam-Munnar

My Last Trip to Mangalore ,I remember NH17 is not really in good condition in most places.

If from Banglore to Thrissur ,Via Coimbattur is the easiest Route(While for Coimbatore-Bangalore route ,there are multiple routes inside TN).While from Thrissur to Munnar is Straight route till Angamaly via NH47.Thrissur to Angamaly Town ,turn Left to Reach Kothamangalam to Munnar via NH49.From Munnar ,Coimbattur is 150kms.

Even i wanna take the Pune-Bangalore direct route : it being faster. And then to Salem / Coimbatore / Thrissur.. Dont want to take NH17 : bad roads, slow timings

Any body here know about Thenmala - Thenkashi road is open again for public? Six months ago it was closed due to road work.

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonewithwind (Post 1503729)
Any body here know about Thenmala - Thenkashi road is open again for public? Six months ago it was closed due to road work.

Yes.

See message nos. 647 and 648 in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyPunia (Post 1503703)
Even i wanna take the Pune-Bangalore direct route : it being faster. And then to Salem / Coimbatore / Thrissur.. Dont want to take NH17 : bad roads, slow timings

Check this thread regarding Bangalore to Coimbattur Route.:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ip-update.html

I just drove to Palakkad and back from Bangalore. Went via Mysore -> Nilambur -> Pattambi. Tiring drive - because of potholes, you can't really enjoy the scenery. Coming back was a breeze via CBE -> Salem -> Krishnagiri. Usually, I take the route via Mettur. While Salem road is better and I drove much faster than possible on the Mettur road, it took the same time to cover the distance between Bhavani and Thoppur - this time around, I didn't hit any traffic snarls around Salem; otherwise it would've definitely taken more time. My twitter updates on the return journey is below (if you've a net enabled phone, you might want to do this to keep your near and dear updated - ensure that you don't have a public timeline if you do this (unless you are OK with even thieves knowing that you are out of your home:-)). I am not a fan of twitter, but I used to send SMS to family before, use this now.

Drove solo from Palakkad - found that Twitter is pretty cool for keeping concerned people informed. Copy-paste from my twitter timeline:

->Finally, at home
7:12 PM Sep 28th

->At silk board
6:45 PM Sep 28th

->At ecity
6:33 PM Sep 28th

->Past Karmataka border into a big traffic jam
5:53 PM Sep 28th

->At hosur
5:40 PM Sep 28th

->At Krishnagiri toll booth. Big queue.
5:07 PM Sep 28th

->At. Thoppur
4:27 PM Sep 28th

->At salem junction
3:45 PM Sep 28th

->At bhavani. On to salem
2:54 PM Sep 28th

->Finally four lanes
2:29 PM Sep 28th

->At avinasi
2:16 PM Sep 28th

->On to avinasi road and horrible drivers
1:50 PM Sep 28th

->Waiting at the single open toll booth in LnT byepass after filling fuel.
1:27 PM Sep 28th

->Enter Tamil Nadu. Rain and greenery, bye bye.
1:08 PM Sep 28th

->At lkanjikode. [Raining.
12:53 PM Sep 28th

I did a to and fro trip from Bangalore to Kerala (Mundakayam) via the Theni route last week. Following are my updates :

Route : Bangalore-> hosur -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kumily -> Mundakayam.

Roads are excellent till Dindigul. At Dindigul, you need to take the right towards Theni, along the Kodai route. DO NOT get on the flyover, as there are no proper boards and i made this mistake during my trip.

After Dindigul, road scenery fascinates, but crazy traffic at some of the villages along the way can irritate. Road conditions deteriorate after Kumily, but still manageable.

Also quoting ssriram's post from another thread, which is quite helpful to those using this route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssriram75 (Post 1507467)
@benbsb29 - I also did this same route between Sept 18 - 21. Brilliant roads. I also made the same mistake of going past the Dindigul junction.

@wildon - The google map directions are correct. The main thing is to get down the ramp where the marker points to Palani-Kodaikanal at the Dindigul bypass. On the service road, you will see Palani right turn first. Cross that and continue on the service road. Next right (below the NH7 highway) will be marked towards Kodai. Take and enjoy super-scenic drive.

Is Munnar-Theni Route Safe to travel during nights?What is the exact route?is it via Pooppaara?
Also ,How Many Hours from Munnar To Reach Theni?How is the road condition?
thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepclutch (Post 1508432)
Is Munnar-Theni Route Safe to travel during nights?What is the exact route?is it via Pooppaara?
Also ,How Many Hours from Munnar To Reach Theni?How is the road condition?
thanks.

Route is:
Munnar-Devikulam 7 kms-Poopara 26-turn left-Bodi Medu 11-Bodinaikanur 27-Theni 16.

Should not take you more than 2 hours. Roads are normally god.
Avoid driving after dark since the road from Devikulam till Bodi Medu has elephant and bison crossings.

I had been to Wyanad, Kerala over the previous weekend and I took the

Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Srimangala-Kutta-Mananthavady-Kalpetta route.

We could not take the usual Gundlupet-Sultanbathery road since we were travelling at night. The road upto Hunsur is simply 'out of the world'. From Hunsur to Gonikoppal, it is a good road with a few potholes here and there.

The nightmare starts from Gonikoppal. From Gonikoppal to Mananthavady there is no road at all:Frustrati. I was driving a friend's Fiat Punto and at times I and to stop and wonder if we can reach Wyanad at all in this kind of road. There was a lot of mist cover all through the night.

Also the private bus traffic was very very high.

Any one can guide the route from Kannur or Kasaragode to Ooty and Kodaikanal?
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by nairrk (Post 1527407)
Thanks

Shortest is through Wynad. Route from mapmyindia.com is given below. Note that it does not give the exact turn to take on NH212 near Sulthan Bathery. You have to take a right to get on the Ooty road, keep on the lookout for signs once you are past Kalpetta.

The longer route is through Palakkad-Coimbatore-Mettupalayam-Ooty

Start from Kannur, Kannur, Kerala and head West1.87 Km2Enter the roundabout and take the second turn5.97 Km
Cross the following on way:
Kadachira at 4km
3Turn right on NH 179.99 Km
Muzhappilangad at 5km
Eranholi at 6km
Dharmadom at 9km
4Take the Dharmadam Bridges169 m5Continue on NH 171.54 Km6Take the Kumbala Bridge102 m7Continue on NH 17820 m8Continue on Court Road (NH 17)117 m9Take the bridge62 m10Continue on Court Road (NH 17)177 m11Continue on NH 17699 m12Continue on Court Road (NH 17)1.08 Km13Continue on NH 17344 m14Continue straight231 m15Turn left on NH 177.63 Km
New Mahe at 3km
Mahe at 6km
16Take the Mahe Bridge109 m17Continue on NH 1711.97 Km
Villiappally at 1km
18Take the bridge59 m
Vadakara at 0m
19Continue on NH 175.29 Km20Take the Murat Bridge1.93 Km
Palayad at 907m
21Continue on NH 1718.57 Km
Quilandy at 1km
22Turn left on East Road (SH 34)28.88 Km23Turn left on NH 21260.02 Km
Kalpetta at 33km
24Continue straight16.48 Km25Continue on SH 820.25 Km
Devarshola at 1km
Gudalur at 17km
26Turn right on NH 67591 m27Continue on Trunk Road (NH 67)38.65 Km
Naduvattam at 6km
Sholur at 2km
28Turn right on Peylons Hill Road156 m29Bear right1.04 Km End at Udhagamandalam, Tamil Nadu (OOTY)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nairrk (Post 1527407)
Thanks

The easiest way is K'gode-Left at Quilandi-Kedavur-Kalpetta-after kalpetta turn right towards Gudalur on the Gudalur-Ooty Road-Gudalur-Pykara Da-Ooty,a distance of around 300kms.Would take around six to seven hours

From Ooty to Kodai the following route is a good one Ooty-Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumulpet-Kodai.A distance of approx 190kms.Would take around 3-4hours.