Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 14:56   #7576
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Can any one help me with a decent fuel station somewhere at Indiranagar ~ Madiwala ~ Silk Board - Jayadeva ~ Kanakapura Road. I will be starting early in the morning anywhere between 3:30 AM and 4:00 AM to Thrissur and planning to use NH209. I will be reaching Bangalore around 23:00 on the previous day, hence I don't want to go after that to fill fuel for the next day trip.
Cheers!
The IndianOil COCO at BTM Layout is open 24 hours. I remember filling up from here at 2 AM 2 years back.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...2a1fbe08a1dd80
glenmz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 18:14   #7577

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
The IndianOil COCO at BTM Layout is open 24 hours. I remember filling up from here at 2 AM 2 years back.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...2a1fbe08a1dd80
I went there about 6 months back and it was open at around 1230 in the night. So, I'm guessing this will be open 24 hours.
Old 26th September 2014, 18:31   #7578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakman View Post
I went there about 6 months back and it was open at around 1230 in the night. So, I'm guessing this will be open 24 hours.
I think pumps generally take their nightly break between 1 AM and 7 AM. I have seen most pumps in my area staying up till 1. And have struggled to get petrol before 7.
Old 26th September 2014, 18:35   #7579
BHPian

There is a ruling from the special court expected tomorrow (27 Sep) in a case involving Tamil Nadu CM. Things could turn ugly if the ruling is not in favor of JJ. Be careful if you are driving through Tamil Nadu, especially with an out of station registration vehicle.
Old 26th September 2014, 20:14   #7580
Senior - BHPian

How are the latest conditions of the roads Kottayam-Kumily-Cumbam-Theni? Planning to take it to Chennai.
Old 27th September 2014, 14:04   #7581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
There is a ruling from the special court expected tomorrow (27 Sep) in a case involving Tamil Nadu CM. Things could turn ugly if the ruling is not in favor of JJ. Be careful if you are driving through Tamil Nadu, especially with an out of station registration vehicle.
To add on. A bus has been burnt down in Madurai. And Karnataka SRTC has stopped all their services to Tamil Nadu. Police out in full force in Bangalore (from Silk Board, right upto TN border at Attibele).
Old 27th September 2014, 14:10   #7582
BHPian

Plenty of questions and suggestions on Bangalore to Guruvayoor/Thrissur route. I am confused.
Except my few trips to Wayanad, this is my first real Kerala trip. From Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Kumarkom-Thekkady-Munnar-Bangalore.
I am confused on the route from Bangalore-Guruvayoor, most of the recommendations is to take the Hosur-Avinsahi route. My questions are :-
  1. What are the real issues of taking Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Guruvayoor route. Dont know why I am inclined to take this route
    • Bad Road condition?
    • Curvy ghat sections roads from Nilambur?
    • Busy with traffic jams?
  2. Bangalore-hosur, Rayakottai, Palacode, Thoppur, Omalur town, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery-Guruvayoor
I would be travelling in XUV with my wife and 2 kids (14 & 8 yrs) and leaving Banglaore by 04:30 AM, Considering that I reach before 02:00 PM what are the temple's I can visit around. I am planning to take Guruvayoor temple darshan during next morning.

thanks in advance.
Old 27th September 2014, 14:48   #7583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
To add on. A bus has been burnt down in Madurai. And Karnataka SRTC has stopped all their services to Tamil Nadu. Police out in full force in Bangalore (from Silk Board, right upto TN border at Attibele).

Verdict is against JJ. Per TOI, she would have to resign as MLA and dissolve the counsel of ministers.

Would suggest to avoid TamilNadu atleast for today/tomorrow, especially for KA vehicles

Taking Mysore route would be tiring because of the increased traffic and also the dasserah celebrations
Old 27th September 2014, 15:27   #7584
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend is supposed to drive to cochin with family tomorrow, he would like to know the route without touching TN. Google maps suggests route through mysore, but not sure about the road conditions and traffic. Any suggestion on this would be appreciated.
Old 27th September 2014, 15:54   #7585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
What are the real issues of taking Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Guruvayoor route.

Bad Road condition?
Curvy ghat sections roads from Nilambur?
Busy with traffic jams?
It is a combination. There is a short stretch (< 15 km) of bad road between Thepakkadu and Gudalur in this route. There is some nice and curvy (but kinda entry level) ghat road between Nadugani and Vazhikkadavu. And you spend longer in Kerala, so you can expect more traffic jams. Still, I prefer it to go to Kochi side when driving alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Considering that I reach before 02:00 PM what are the temple's I can visit around. I am planning to take Guruvayoor temple darshan during next morning.
There is Kadampuzha temple if you can detour a bit from Valancheri and Thiruvilwamala if you can detour a bit from Pattambi. The other way from Pattambi is Thrithala with an ancient temple. Thrissur town has the famous Vadakkumnathan temple. Then there is Kodungallur which is some distance beyond Guruvayur towards Kochi and Thirunavaya towards Calicut.

Actually these are randomly picked; you should really look at an authentic directory of temples in central Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
My friend is supposed to drive to cochin with family tomorrow, he would like to know the route without touching TN. Google maps suggests route through mysore, but not sure about the road conditions and traffic.
Route to Kochi without touching any TN is:

Bangalore > Mysore (SH 17) > Calicut (NH 212) > Kochi (NH 17 or combo NH 17/KL state roads to Thrissur/NH 47).

This is quite circuitous, so Bangalore > Mysore > Gudalur > Nilambur > Thrissur > Kochi is much shorter but has about 40-50 km of TN in between.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 16:56   #7586
Senior - BHPian

If entering Hosur by 11 pm- 12 am, one can leave TN via Palghat gap in 4-5 hours, safe enough to escape the protests and such.

Alternatively, NH209-L&T bypass is also a safer bet- just 2-2.5 hours through TN.

Most of the Coimbatore district has ruling party MLAs-including Pollachi.

Just my thoughts, Kerala bound bhpians, use your own discretion.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:18   #7587
BHPian

Quote:
My friend is supposed to drive to cochin with family tomorrow, he would like to know the route without touching TN. Google maps suggests route through mysore, but not sure about the road conditions and traffic. Any suggestion on this would be appreciated.
It would be better if he leaves very early morning from Bangalore, so that Mysore traffic (due to Dasara)also can be avoided.
Take, Mysore->Gundelpet->Kalpetta->Calicut route.
Twiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:44   #7588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Route to Kochi without touching any TN is:

Bangalore > Mysore (SH 17) > Calicut (NH 212) > Kochi (NH 17 or combo NH 17/KL state roads to Thrissur/NH 47).

This is quite circuitous, so Bangalore > Mysore > Gudalur > Nilambur > Thrissur > Kochi is much shorter but has about 40-50 km of TN in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
It would be better if he leaves very early morning from Bangalore, so that Mysore traffic (due to Dasara)also can be avoided.
Take, Mysore->Gundelpet->Kalpetta->Calicut route.
Thanks guys! How about the road conditions?
Old 27th September 2014, 17:54   #7589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Generally, all fine. There might be minor localized damages to the road due to the recent monsoons but nothing to lose sleep over.

Bangalore-Calicut is discussed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-query-29.html
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 18:11   #7590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun Bro

No point driving through SH17 if Mysore is not the destination.

Take Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet. Roads are good throughout and has sparse traffic. Food stop can be at Nijaguna Residency, Chamrajnagar.

But this being a curvy 2 lane highway through rural roads, modest speeds(70-80 kmph) suggested.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks