Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-476.html)

Thanks all for the inputs. We are starting from Vijayanagara at 5 AM. Will decide on the routes based on the destination which is still not decided stupid: Mostly we will be halting at Kalpetta for the night. Will update here once we return.

We came via Walayar yesterday night; the traffic jam in Walayar costed us 2hours in the middle of night

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twiny (Post 3489007)
We came via Walayar yesterday night; the traffic jam in Walayar costed us 2hours in the middle of night

I guess the effect of an extended week end (Tuesday being holiday) is already showing on the NH

Did Palakkad-Munnar via Udumalpet. Not so pleasant and bumpy after Udumalpet in the Forest. Will be taking my regular route, via Perumbavur-Adimaly hereafter.

There was a vigilance raid at Walayar checkpost, and they recovered a lot of unaccounted money. This raid resulted in more stringent checking of vehicles and caused a longer jam, the long weekend only made things worse. Things are fine today, but there were an unusually high number of excise, RTO and police personnel at the checkpost area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suresh_gs (Post 3478955)
I would suggest you to drive to salem and then deviate towards perundurai,kangeyam,palladam,pollachi and alathur before you hit NH47 again.

A minor ammendment. Instead of touching Alathur, from Pollachi you can drive directly to Vadakkencherry to reach NH47 (bypassing Alathur also).

I second this idea. The road from Coimbatore right upto Vadakancherry is patchy at best. Last night we came from Vadakancherry to Pollachi and then to Coimbatore. Took us 3hrs 15 mins from Manuthy to Coimbatore but the roads were smooth.

The Madukkarai-Walayar stretch has gone worse after the rains, and I would suggest everyone headed to Thrissur and beyond, to take Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route to bypass the mess.

Road widening is going on in full swing beyond Walayar in Kerala territory, a couple of flyovers are already completed and opened to traffic. But the diversions are confusing and you'd find traffic flowing in both directions on either side of the median.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversteed (Post 3491399)
The Madukkarai-Walayar stretch has gone worse after the rains, and I would suggest everyone headed to Thrissur and beyond, to take Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route to bypass the mess.

Road widening is going on in full swing beyond Walayar in Kerala territory, a couple of flyovers are already completed and opened to traffic. But the diversions are confusing and you'd find traffic flowing in both directions on either side of the median.

How about the diversion to Velanthavalam?. Is the road in this stretch bad too??

How is Coimbatore - Pollachi strech? Is it safe to drive after dark to Vadakkenchery from Pollachi?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss (Post 3492646)
How is Coimbatore - Pollachi strech? Is it safe to drive after dark to Vadakkenchery from Pollachi?

Absolutely safe-no problems whatsoever.CBE-Pollachi road is good and you would find its heavily trafficked even after sunset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 3492670)
Absolutely safe-no problems whatsoever.CBE-Pollachi road is good and you would find its heavily trafficked even after sunset.

Thanks Ranjit for the prompt response. I was thinking to take this alternate route as coming via Walayar is a nightmare now a days.

Quote:

CBE-Pollachi has heavy traffic through the night - no safety issues. Single lane and you will be able to do 70-80kmph only in stretches. But the road is good. Pollachi to Vadakkenchery is less crowded. Didn't see anything unsafe. Couple of short stretches through thickly forested areas - but the stretches are really short like 1-2 km. Again single lane, it goes through villages / towns in spots and my son counted a couple of dozen toddy shops on the roadside (I guess Kerala is incomplete without them) but no "waterbodies" at least in the early evening hours 7-8pm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suresh_gs (Post 3491565)
How about the diversion to Velanthavalam?. Is the road in this stretch bad too??

No idea how it is at present. Used to be good before the onset of rains.
Quote:

It is safe. Excellent, well-marked 2-lane road. I've never felt unsafe in the Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route even in the dead of the night. However, it need not be the same feeling for everyone, as you won't find even a soul in sight for quite a long distance.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ananth_iy (Post 3492708)
...and my son counted a couple of dozen toddy shops on the roadside (I guess Kerala is incomplete without them) but no "waterbodies" at least in the early evening hours 7-8pm.

You were lucky! You'll find the highest density of "reptilian" population in the 6-10pm hours, enjoying the "waterbodies" after a hard day's work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss (Post 3492674)
Thanks Ranjit for the prompt response. I was thinking to take this alternate route as coming via Walayar is a nightmare now a days.

You could also consider the Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-NH47.I prefer this one over the vadekkencheri route as its more peace of mind on this route:)