Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 15:09   #6421
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1.Forest checkpost after Gundlupet, Karnataka side - timings are 6am-9pm, has this changed ?
2.Forest checkpost at Muthanga, Kerala side - any timings for this ?
3.How late can I start from Bangalore in the afternoon so I can cross the Forest check posts before closing time and possibly reach Kalpetta before 10pm?
4.Suggestions for Hotels at Kalpetta - decent, with car parking, nothing extravagant, will be with family. Woodlands, Issac Regency, any others ?
1. No.

2. Not sure what you mean. Same timings as the above one, isn't it?

3. Bangalore to forest edge is about 240 km. You should plan based on the speed you can achieve - I think 5 hours is sufficient.

4. Calicut is 70 km further down the road and can be reached in about 1.5 hours from Kalpetta. I suggest you continue instead of breaking the journey.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 15:13   #6422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a weekday drive to Calicut, starting in the afternoon and staying overnight at Kalpetta and proceeding to Calicut from there next morning. Some questions/clarifications:

1.Forest checkpost after Gundlupet, Karnataka side - timings are 6am-9pm, has this changed ?
3.How late can I start from Bangalore in the afternoon so I can cross the Forest check posts before closing time and possibly reach Kalpetta before 10pm?
4.Suggestions for Hotels at Kalpetta - decent, with car parking, nothing extravagant, will be with family. Woodlands, Issac Regency, any others ?
1. No change, traffic is open from 6 AM to 9 PM
2. No restrictions at this check post
3. budget a minimum of 4-4.5 hours drive to Maddur check post (checkpost after Gundlupet) to be on the safer side after you exit Bangalore city.
4. Issacs regency is in Sulthan Bathery I presume. If you are looking to stay at Bathery, near to Issacs on the opposite side of the road, there is a hotel- Green Palace residency. Had stayed there a few days ago. Neat budget hotel (double non ac rooms in the range of 1000-1100 with basement car parking.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 15:16   #6423
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
1. No.

3. Bangalore to forest edge is about 240 km. You should plan based on the speed you can achieve - I think 5 hours is sufficient.

4. Calicut is 70 km further down the road and can be reached in about 1.5 hours from Kalpetta. I suggest you continue instead of breaking the journey.
Thanks.
#2.If I cross the KA side checkpost by 9, I will be allowed to cross the other checkpost also, correct ?
#3.Want to reach directly for a function early morning in Calicut, so planning stay at Kalpetta.

*I've always driven to calicut starting early morning from Bangalore and never stayed enroute, hence the questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
4. Issacs regency is in Sulthan Bathery I presume. If you are looking to stay at Bathery, near to Issacs on the opposite side of the road, there is a hotel- Green Palace residency. Had stayed there a few days ago. Neat budget hotel (double non ac rooms in the range of 1000-1100 with basement car parking.
Thanks. I would prefer to stay at Kalpetta so that I can reach Calicut faster in the morning. Yes, now that you mention I also remember Issac's at Bathery, stopped for lunch there once. Any other suggestions for Kalpetta ?

Last edited by NPV : 24th January 2014 at 15:20.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:33   #6424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi@98 View Post
We still take the MC road till Changanassery nd then to Allepey via AC road in order to go to Kochi from Trivandrum. Is this still the best route or is the NH47 via Kollam better?
The best route from Kochi - Trivandrum is NH47 (Trivandrum-Kollam-Aleppy-Ernakulam) The road is in good shape but watch out for speed cameras
Old 24th January 2014, 15:36   #6425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, the timings remain the same.

Quote:
Timings same as that of KA side. However if you cross KA side at say 09.00 PM and reach KL side at 09.40 PM they will let you through. The timings is only for entry in to forest.

Quote:
Factor around 1 hour from KL checkpost to Kalpetta.
Time of start from Bangalore depends on your route. If you are starting from CV Raman nagar and taking Mysore road (via NICE Hosur entry) 3 PM should be your cut off. This way you would be reaching check post around 08:15 PM, factoring a small break in between.

For Kanakpura/ NH 209 route factor 03.30 hours from NICE road EXIT at Kanakpura road to reach Gundulpet.
Quote:

As per my friend from Kalpetta hotel Affas is the best currently.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 24th January 2014 at 15:37.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 15:38   #6426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
afaik Still the same.
Quote:
You should cross Mysore by about 530pm to be on the safer side.
Quote:
Green Gates,
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 15:42   #6427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
#2.If I cross the KA side checkpost by 9, I will be allowed to cross the other checkpost also, correct ?
They would allow, unless they feel you have taken unusually long time to cover the stretch from the entry to the exit. The entry checkpost on Karnataka side is at Maddur and the checkpost at the exit (karnataka/Kerala state border) is called Moolaholle. The place called 'Muthanga' is still another 5 km ahead, that is why I replied that there are no restrictions on the muthanga checkpost.

Quote:

Thanks. I would prefer to stay at Kalpetta so that I can reach Calicut faster in the morning. Yes, now that you mention I also remember Issac's at Bathery, stopped for lunch there once. Any other suggestions for Kalpetta ?
I am sorry,don't have much idea. For me, staying at a hotel in Wayanad is rare, because I have a lot of relatives all around Wayanad. Had stayed in Green palace residency last week when I went there with a few friends.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 16:44   #6428
BHPian

Quote:
Muthanga timing was 6 am to 6 pm when I visited during end 2011. Not sure about present status though.
Old 24th January 2014, 19:20   #6429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Any reason for going via Salem - Thrissur? Isn't Dindigul - Theni route better?

The passenger's accompanying me in this trip is prone to motion sickness ,hence don't want to take the ghat section.

But looks like i have to take the muvatupuzha section .
Old 24th January 2014, 19:39   #6430
Senior - BHPian

In addition to what others mentioned, I think Kanakpura road would be a safe bet during evening hours. Traffic on Mysore-Nanjangod will be mad in addition to Mysore road mess. If you take Mysore road, take city route which may be faster than ring road.

Once I exited NICE road/Mysore road junction at 5 pm and could reach check post by 8.45pm via Mysore in an Innova. Certainly it was a rash drive. Bhpian Lloyed suggested me some alternate routes that day as a backup.
Old 24th January 2014, 22:09   #6431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is now a road via Edappal-Chamravattom-Tirur-Parappanangadi-Chelari-Ramanattukara that is shorter by a few km, instead of the pure NH 17 route.
Google maps shows this as a alternate option and shorter by 5-6 kms when coming from Thrissur. how is the road conditions and is it recommended to take this route?
Old 24th January 2014, 22:12   #6432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Google maps shows this as a alternate option and shorter by 5-6 kms when coming from Thrissur. how is the road conditions and is it recommended to take this route?
Nah! The route via Chamravattom will not save any time - it might save kms. the road is in fairly good shape (except a short stretch around Chamravattom). The road is two-laned througout and except good traffic in Tirur, Tanur, Parappanangadi towns, and a level cross near Tanur.
Old 24th January 2014, 23:20   #6433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
... and a level cross near Tanur.
The overbridge here looked nearing completion last time I went this way (November). It ought to be done by now - but given that this is Kerala, no guarantees!
Old 24th January 2014, 23:56   #6434
BHPian

Quote:
The overbridge here looked nearing completion last time I went this way (November). It ought to be done by now - but given that this is Kerala, no guarantees!
I read in the newspaper this week that this overbridge has been completed.

-- Wind
Old 25th January 2014, 08:58   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are referring to Devdar railway gate, the work seems to be over, but is still not open. Formal inauguration is scheduled on February 14th. Right now, traffic is allowed on the road underneath the over bridge, across the railway gate. I am typing this today sitting a km away from there, at my wife's home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks