Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 16:42   #571
BHPian

I have traveled from Bangalore to Kollam on 21st and back on 30th. The road condition between Bhavani and CBE is easily drivable. While coming back I took 3 hr 50 minutes to cover from Plakkad to Thoppur A2B.
Old 1st April 2009, 16:52   #572
Senior - BHPian

done Muvattupuzha to Coimbatore last week .and the roads are good all over.while NH47 from thrissur to Angamaly as usual is congested and 4 laning works going on which needs diversion after few kms run.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:05   #573
Team-BHP Support

I dont know where else to post this, hence putting up this request here:Is anyone driving down to Kerala (near and around kottayam, or even EKM) for the Good Friday long weekend? I have drawn a blank with buses as well as trains in trying to procure a ticket, and would appreciate if someone could give me a lift. Please do let me know.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:46   #574
BHPian

Leaving for Alleppey tomorrow night. Planning to take the Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad route. Anything I should watch out for?

benbsb29: Good Friday is next week, else you could have come with me!!
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:20   #575
BHPian

Need quick feedback please...

Need to go to Virajpet tomorrow and from there to Mattanur/Kannur.

What is the condition of the direct road from Virajpet to Kannur? My dad says that 6mos ago it was unpassable.

What are the alternatives if any?

Thanks,
Byas
Old 9th April 2009, 16:44   #576
BHPian

Hyd to Kerala and back

Hi all
I am planning to do drive from Hyderabad to Kottayam in Kerala in the first week of May.
As per the current plan, I will drive from Hyd to Bangalore on the first day. I will have the night halt there.
on next day I will start to Kottyam AFAIK, there are Major 3 routes to do this

1. BLR - Mysore - Gundulpet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perintalmanna - TCR - MVPA - KTYM
2. BLR - Coimbatore - Palakkad-TCR-MVPA-KTYM :: Which the better route to do BLR-CBE?
3. BLR - Hosur - Dindigul - Theni - Kumily - KTYM.

The destination I need to reach is in KK road, some 15 KMs from Kottayam.
I favour the route 1, because my home in Kerala is in Manjeri; ie some 20 Kms from Nilambur. So that I can take a couple of hours of break there and continue the journey. It is important for me to reach the detiantion on 2nd of may evening/night it self.

Could anyone please help me to decide the routes from BLR to Kottayam?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th April 2009 at 17:41. Reason: Search please
Old 11th April 2009, 23:32   #577
BHPian

My preferred route for BLR - CBE is BLR - Hosur - KGiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Andiyur - Sathyamangalam - CBE.

From BLR all the way to Thoppur is 4 lane express way. Thoppur - Mettur - Sathy - CBE is state road but usually in very good condition.
Old 12th April 2009, 13:42   #578
Senior - BHPian

hey MAtt, since you are looking for a Manjeri break, i guess route 1 is the only option. otherwise Dindigul route would be preferred due to excellent roads. if you are breaking in Blore, no need to hurry up and leave early. there is a lot of time.
Old 13th April 2009, 10:44   #579
BHPian

ssriram75, kutlee thanks for the reply.

There is a change of plan now. I will be driving from BLR to Manjeri and halting there. So the Route 1 is the only option. Anyone body have recently traveled through this route(BLR-Mysore-Gundulpet-Gudallur-Nilambur)?

Moreover, I need recommendations for the night Halt at BLR. Any good place to stay near Bangalore? Preferably Near to NH7 or BLR-Mysore Road
Thanks,
Matt
Old 13th April 2009, 11:56   #580
Senior - BHPian

Just now in chennai from a Bangalore - chennai - krishnagiri- salem - palghat-kottayam - trivandrum - kottayam - theni - trichy - chennai trip , phew ... about 2600 kms since last Wednesday.

I would suggest you take the third route good roads all the way till salem from bangalore ( ok some diversions on Hosur road but liveable and still maintain 90 kmph average) - some un even patches on Salem - Theni and then sexy roads all the way back to kottayam , but time you travel taking into consideration the fact the density maybe high during day time . and keep a good look out for careless pedestrains who wouldnt react to the blaring horn.

On route 1 you have bad roads between Gundulpet - Bandipur and then very bad roads from Mudumalai till Gudalur, i also hear that nilambur route is bad but being done up .info on nilambur route is three weeks old.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:08   #581
BHPian

I took the Blr - Gudallur - Nilambur - Gvr route on 27th Mar. As far as roads are concerned, only 15kms from Gundalpet has potholes. Except for this 15Kms, this entire drive was just cool. Left at 5AM and reached Gvr by 1:30PM (include a 1 hour break). Route taken: Blr-BTM -> Kanakpura Rd -> NICE road -> Mysore Highway -> Mysore city -> Gundalpet -> Gudallur -> Nilambur -> Wandoor -> Pandikkad -> Perithalmanna -> Pattambi -> Kunnamkulam -> Gvr
Old 13th April 2009, 12:35   #582
BANNED

Hi Guys
Anyone have any updates for cochin-kozhikode-kannur route..Last time I went the route was hell
Dilip Kumar
Old 13th April 2009, 12:40   #583
Senior - BHPian

hey matt, you can stay somewhere in Mysore since Mysore is just couple of hours away from Blore. stay in blore near NH7 can be a bit boring and difficult too. I couldn't find nothing much on the Blore - mysore road also. i don't know where to stay in Mysore though. you can enter the city and might be able to find a cheap hotel very easily i guess. last time i kept searching on NH7, couldn't find anything, then started searching (wasn't bothere much due to enjoying driving excellent mysore highway) on the mysore highway didn't find anything decent (lot of driving and less of searching) and then thought of searching in Mysore buy couldn't stop driving and ended up in Sultan Battery at friend's place. phew, what a drive it was. enjoy your trip and post reports on the roads.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:05   #584
BHPian

@hellstar

As per the current plan I will be driving to Manjeri not to Kottayam. So I have only one option; route via Mysore. Now I need to see how good is the route through Sulthan Battery.

@kutlee

I dont want to drive much in the night as it is very tiring for my eyes. Thats why I want to take a break at BLR not to drive in the night.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:39   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
@hellstar

As per the current plan I will be driving to Manjeri not to Kottayam. So I have only one option; route via Mysore. Now I need to see how good is the route through Sulthan Battery.

@kutlee

I dont want to drive much in the night as it is very tiring for my eyes. Thats why I want to take a break at BLR not to drive in the night.
the thamarrassery ghat section is in shambles but that shouldnt matter as anyways you are not gonna do anything over 50 kmph here on these roads.

A night drive would be highly recommended on kerala roads , as during daytime and during dawn and dusk hours the traffic can reallly really slow you down and get the good of your patience.

For eg :- i typically take 1 hr from Palghat to Thrissur , 1 hr from thrissur to Ekm - another 1 hr for Ekm to alleppy approx during my over night drives to trivandrum from bangalore but this time i hit Palghat around 1730 hrs and reached Allapey at around 2215 hrs , not to mention the traffic jams caused by the numerous elections meetings which are on in full swing at every intersection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks