Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-387.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselLover (Post 3261251)
Many thanks Jacs. based on your inputs, I think the total drive time till Vandiperiyar would be around 5.5 hrs including some pit stops. I have a reservation at Gavi and need to communicate the vehicle number to KFDC the day before I travel. They will ensure entry at forest check posts.
From Vandiperiyar I will take the Vallakadavu/Moozhiyar route to Gavi.
What is the distance between Gavi and Vandiperiyar? Google give 28kms but the KFDC guy told me it's 40kms.

Yes, 5 hours is sufficient for drive till Vandiperiyar. Have driven only till Vallakadavu. Heard Gavi is about an hour drive. Roads were quite narrow while I travelled, be careful of the Diesel autos and Trip jeeps who literally zoom through these routes.

Few stops you can consider

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandsun7 (Post 3261183)
Any particular reason you do not want to consider the third option, assuming that was Kochi-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara-byepass-Malaparambu junction-Thamarassery-Kalpetta? I feel this is the best route any day. Roads are also not bad.

Thanks Sandsun. As Kala mentioned this route is not showing up in Google Maps. So I added the deviations in GM and came up with the below route. Is this the one you intended? If not, could you please add a route map for Cochin to Wayanad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreerknair (Post 3261307)
Thanks Sandsun. As Kala mentioned this route is not showing up in Google Maps. So I added the deviations in GM and came up with the below route. Is this the one you intended? If not, could you please add a route map for Cochin to Wayanad?

Yes, that looks more or less like the route he was referring to. (Might have been clearer if you had posted a google maps link instead of an image - but looking at the points you've marked and the distance GM is showing, it looks right)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreerknair (Post 3261307)

Yes, this seem to be the route both of us suggest. For added reference,here is the gmaps link for the same: http://goo.gl/maps/OHU9G

Detailed route would be Ernakulam-Aluva-Chalakudy-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam (Do consider the route to byepass Kunnamkulam town, as suggested by Kala in his reply)-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Valanchery-Kottakkal(Changuvetti)-Edarikode-Chelari-Calicut University-Ramanattukara (Take the byepass towards Mangalore/Kannur: The byepass goes straight, and the road to Kozhikode city deviates towards the left) Take right at Malaparambu junction. (it is a junction with the signal - The next main junction after the turn off/junction towards Calicut Medical college) - From Malaparamba, you get onto NH 212. Go through Kunnamangalam-Koduvally-Thamarashery-Adivaram - Wayanad Ghats-Lakkidi-Vythiri-Chundale-Kalpetta.

Be extremely careful on the stretch from Valanchery to Ramanattukara, especialy some curves like Vattapara, Panambra etc . This is One of the most dangerous stretches on entire NH66. Wayanad ghat should be in pristine condition. It is raining even now, so be prepared for that.

Also which part of Wayanad are you planning to stay? Kalpetta/Sulthan Bathery/ Mananthavady ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandsun7 (Post 3261413)
Also which part of Wayanad are you planning to stay? Kalpetta/Sulthan Bathery/ Mananthavady ?

Hi Sandsun, I will be staying at Rainbow Holiday Homes @ Kalpetta. Off topic, by any chance do you know if access to kurava island is closed or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 3261059)
You can even take Pala - Ponkunnam - Kanjirappally or Pala - Erattupetta - Kanjirappally. First one is slightly shorter. Roads are not heard to be worse yet.

Hi Jacs, when did you hear last about the conditions of these routes ? My destination is ettumanoor (from chennai) and i am looking for the best route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kala (Post 3261127)
If travelling to places east of Ponkunnam, I think the route via Pala would be the better one since the roads are wider and quite straight forward. (Not sure whether Pala-Erattupetta-Kanjirappally or Pala-Ponkunnam would be preferred one since I haven't been on those roads lately - both roads used to be quite good till a while back)

I am kind of trying to avoid the traffic in Pala and was wondering if the route via manarcadu would be any better in that aspect. Also i could see this route http://goo.gl/maps/VmWFn , though not sure about the traffic/road conditions.

Any thoughts ?

Whats the latest on Mannuthy- Coimbatore.
Had spoken with mallumowgli yesterday and he said its now motorable.

A frined of mine will be travelling to Coimbatore this weekend from Kochi. This is just the first leg of his looong journey to Delhi.

Initially, I suggested him the Wadakkanchery- Chelakkara- Pazhayannur- Alathur- Kollengode- Pollachi- Coimbatore detour. However, after speaking with mallumowgli, I am in double mind.

The car is Ford Fiesta

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushmenon (Post 3261690)
Whats the latest on Mannuthy- Coimbatore.
Had spoken with mallumowgli yesterday and he said its now motorable.

A frined of mine will be travelling to Coimbatore this weekend from Kochi. This is just the first leg of his looong journey to Delhi.

Initially, I suggested him the Wadakkanchery- Chelakkara- Pazhayannur- Alathur- Kollengode- Pollachi- Coimbatore detour. However, after speaking with mallumowgli, I am in double mind.

The car is Ford Fiesta

My colleague did Cochin ~ Bangalore on his Innova last weekend all through NH 47 between Thrissur and Coimbatore, he meant the stretch is motor-able now and recommended this compared to the detour through small towns for my next trip to native.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreerknair (Post 3261512)
Hi Sandsun, I will be staying at Rainbow Holiday Homes @ Kalpetta. Off topic, by any chance do you know if access to kurava island is closed or not?

I am sorry, I don't have any recent concrete information on that, but it was closed around Onam time due to rains. Do get in touch with the Wayanad DTPC office at 04936-202134, 09446072134 or the tourist information center in Kalpetta- 04936-204441.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinucv (Post 3261555)
Hi Jacs, when did you hear last about the conditions of these routes ? My destination is ettumanoor (from chennai) and i am looking for the best route.

I am kind of trying to avoid the traffic in Pala and was wondering if the route via manarcadu would be any better in that aspect. Also i could see this route http://goo.gl/maps/VmWFn , though not sure about the traffic/road conditions.

Any thoughts ?

If you know Manarcad route, you can take that route. Roads are patched up after monsoons. Few potholes here and there but much drivable now.

Pala - Ponkunnam used to be rubberized tarmac and hence chance of monsoon damage is less. I travelled pre monsoon only.

Heard same update about Erattupetta route but not travelled in recent past.

The Kuttanellor - Chembukav route to avoid Trichur town while connecting to/ from Trichur - Shoranur Hwy to NH47 is now freshly laid and is a breeze. This stretch has been in shambles recently and hence this quick update.

I'm planning to drive from Velankanni to Trivandrum. Could someone please udpate me on the best route for this. I prefer good roads and time over scenery and challenge for this drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafeDrive (Post 3261959)
I'm planning to drive from Velankanni to Trivandrum. Could someone please udpate me on the best route for this. I prefer good roads and time over scenery and challenge for this drive.

East Cost road is short and straight. You can drive via Kanyakumari too with a few additional miles.

Velankanni - Toothukudi - Thirunelveli - Nagarcoil - Trivandrum (~510KMs)

Else

Velankanni - Tanjavur - Madurai - Kovilpatti - Thirunelveli - Nagarcoil - Trivandrum (~550KMs)

Friends,

Planning a Sabarimala trip from Bangalore next weekend.

Intended to take BLR-Dindigul-Thekkady-Vandiperiyar-Erumeli-Pamba
http://goo.gl/maps/RkAcV

Any updates on Thekkady-Pamba stretch?
Last year, around same time, I did this route and the road condition was very good.

Also In Thekkady-Pamba stretch, is there any decent hotel or homestay just to stay for a night?

Last time did night halt at Thekkady (to and fro) but this time would like to stay in a place more closer to Pamba.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsfreak (Post 3262964)
Friends,

Planning a Sabarimala trip from Bangalore next weekend.

Intended to take BLR-Dindigul-Thekkady-Vandiperiyar-Erumeli-Pamba
http://goo.gl/maps/RkAcV

Any updates on Thekkady-Pamba stretch?
Last year, around same time, I did this route and the road condition was very good.

Also In Thekkady-Pamba stretch, is there any decent hotel or homestay just to stay for a night?

Last time did night halt at Thekkady (to and fro) but this time would like to stay in a place more closer to Pamba.

I think the update is almost same as of today till Mundakkayam as per the below thread. Drove very recently till Vandiperiyar too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3233418

Mundakkayam-Erumely- Pamba is to be confirmed.

Hotels? Yes many in Kumily due to tourist attraction. Most of them are resort catagory too. Let me check locally and confirm you what would be a good option. Any budget in mind?