Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-37.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellstar (Post 1155057)
I would also have loved to start at the same time but due to some reasons i cant this time other wise i usually drive over night to trivandrum , 1800 hrs start from Silkboard and in TVM before 0530 Hrs thats my usual run , but i havent done that for quite sometime now ..... and i am unsure about the road conditions between Salem and coimbatore.

If you are driving in the night, be very careful with Salem-Coimbatore stretch.
There are too many diversions across median and deadly potholes allover, which are not easily visible in the night. Another pain will be the level difference where the newly paved road ends. They are dangerous than humps.

Before you get in to Salem-Coimbatore stretch, take a good break at Adayar-AnandBhavan (on the right side of the BLR-SALEM highway, soon after Dharmapuri).

This sunday I am driving to cochin to attend a function. I have done Bangalore Cochin via Salem Palghat many times. Just thought I'd drive through Wayanad, and take Nh17 to Cochin. Plan to start around 5am in the morning, do a leisurely drive and reach cochin by sunset.

Could you guys tell me the best roads, conditions and any sight seeing.

plan is Blr - wayanad - cochin.

i just returned from a Tirvandrum trip

My onward journey was to Trivandrum , i did this Via the Salem . Th updates there are Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Trivandrum roads
Krishnagiri- Salem -> 98% complete and just toooo goood roads.
Salem - Coimbature Bypass -> 70% roads complete , best done by day, lots of hevy vehicles driven by maniacs.
Coimbatore -> Cochin good roads but lots potholes which hit you un expectedly
Cochin -> Alapuzha - Precuatbly good roads
Alapuzha -> Kollam - Horrible the worst in the entire strech no road only a collection of tar patch works.
Kollam -> Trivandrum Predictably good condition ( 80 kms in 45 Mins)

Start from Bangalore at 1330 Hrs reached Trivandrum at 0200 hrs including lunch break , dinner break and numerous tea coffee break.

Hi ,

We are planning for a Madras (Kolathur) - Cochin - Thiruvalla Trip by March 1st week. Last year I took Kolathur-Koyambedu Signal-Poonamalee - GQ till Krishnagiri - Mecheri-Mettur-Bhavani-CBE-Walayar-Cochin- Thiruvalla route. The roads were good except bad stretches between Walayar-Angamaly.

Is it still better compared to the Attur-Salem route? I drive a 05 Zen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind_mill (Post 1168015)
Hi ,

We are planning for a Madras (Kolathur) - Cochin - Thiruvalla Trip by March 1st week. Last year I took Kolathur-Koyambedu Signal-Poonamalee - GQ till Krishnagiri - Mecheri-Mettur-Bhavani-CBE-Walayar-Cochin- Thiruvalla route. The roads were good except bad stretches between Walayar-Angamaly.

Is it still better compared to the Attur-Salem route? I drive a 05 Zen.

Why don't you take the Chennai > Trichy > Didigul> Theni> Cumbum> Kumily> Ranni> Tiruvalla route? Absolutely brilliant roads and an amazing drive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 1168087)
Why don't you take the Chennai > Trichy > Didigul> Theni> Cumbum> Kumily> Ranni> Tiruvalla route? Absolutely brilliant roads and an amazing drive!

Please provide directions for Kumily - Ranni . I have taken Changanasseri-Mundakayam-Kumily route once. Is it the same route?

I have attached a file which has the details of the Madras-Dindigul-Kumili-Kanjirapalli route, which you can take to go to Ranni. You can turn off at Kanjirapalli to get to Ranni. In case Tiruvalla is your destination, you can go on from Kanjirapalli via Ponkunnam to Changanaserry and reach Tiruvalla.

This route is recommended any day! All in a long day's work provided you leave early in the morning from Madras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind_mill (Post 1169275)
Please provide directions for Kumily - Ranni . I have taken Changanasseri-Mundakayam-Kumily route once. Is it the same route?

Yes, it is the same route:
Madras-Villupuram-Trichy-Dindigul-Periakulam-Theni-Kumbum-Kumili-Vandiperiyar-Peeeremede-Mundakayam-Kanjirapalli

I am planning to drive back to bangalore from kottayam.
Can any one suggest a good hotel in palakkad for overnight stay. Budget would be 500-1000 Rs

Quote:

Originally Posted by motor_breathing (Post 1170080)
I am planning to drive back to bangalore from kottayam.
Can any one suggest a good hotel in palakkad for overnight stay. Budget would be 500-1000 Rs

Hotel Indraprastha
Hotel Indraprastha, Palakkad.

You do not have to go too deep into town, just go in from the Coimbatore end of the bypass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1170125)
Hotel Indraprastha
Hotel Indraprastha, Palakkad.

You do not have to go too deep into town, just go in from the Coimbatore end of the bypass.

If you don't want to stray away from NH 47, you could try these hotels on NH47 itself.
Hotel Srichakra:- Srichakra International,Hotel Srichakra International Palakkad, Kerala India Srichakra International, Srichakra International Resort

Walayar Motels:- Walayar Motels,Walayar Motels Palakkad,Walayar Motels Kerala India,Walayar Motels Palakkad Kerala,Booking at Walayar Motels

Hotel Chanakya:-

I haven't stayed in any of these places.

-- Torqy

HVK & KB - Thank you very much. Let me try it out.

For those of you who take NH7 from Bangalore towards Dharmapuri:

Roadwork happening on the left lane on the 1st flyover (after the toll plaza towards Krishnagiri) at Krishnagiri - keep right on this flyover.

New pothole on Sulagiri bypass on the LHS lane - nothing to worry about in an SUV, but please be careful in a car.

Hi,

Coimbatore to Alleppey, yesterday (17/02/2009).

Very decent roads throughout. Slight hazzle in going to either side diversions in the 4 laning happening between Thrissur and Angamaly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laluks (Post 1161576)
This sunday I am driving to cochin to attend a function. I have done Bangalore Cochin via Salem Palghat many times. Just thought I'd drive through Wayanad, and take Nh17 to Cochin. Plan to start around 5am in the morning, do a leisurely drive and reach cochin by sunset.

Could you guys tell me the best roads, conditions and any sight seeing.

plan is Blr - wayanad - cochin.

How is the road condition now?. I am planning to drive from Kochi to Bangalore this sunday.

BTW which road did you take?. Was it throught Nilambur? Can you please note down the exact route that you took and the time for the trip.

Thanx.