Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:49   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hey Tom,

Thanks a ton for the details. I think I will opt for the Wandoor route (read somewhere it is quite scenic too). I guess the Nilambur-guruvayoor ride should be around 3 hours, right?

I will take a rain-check on your invitation to PM you; will do so if some other query pops up ;-).

Cheers & have a good time in Kodai! (OT: saw your query for hotels in Kodai; check out HolidayIQ.com, they provide contact details too)
Thanks! And yes, 3.5 Hrs will be sufficient including few photo sessions!

Ride safe,
Tom
Old 26th January 2009, 13:55   #527
Senior - BHPian

The stretch from Cbe to Palghat is good - it has been relaid. From about 1 km into the Palghat-Tcr bye pass the road gets shot up for about the nex 13kms - its potholes galore - some of them rather scary! (its getting done as we speak)

After that its smooth sailing all the way till Trichur. Trichur- Cok is largely good - except for the 4 laning work the roads are in decent shape.
Old 26th January 2009, 17:27   #528
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The stretch from Cbe to Palghat is good - it has been relaid. From about 1 km into the Palghat-Tcr bye pass the road gets shot up for about the nex 13kms - its potholes galore - some of them rather scary! (its getting done as we speak)

After that its smooth sailing all the way till Trichur. Trichur- Cok is largely good - except for the 4 laning work the roads are in decent shape.
I agree.
Best time to travel- past midnight. Did some shocking timings(for me) in the verna last week. My travel time was more than halved.

Old 26th January 2009, 21:34   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I agree.
Best time to travel- past midnight. Did some shocking timings(for me) in the verna last week. My travel time was more than halved.

Yup!

During the day please watch out for 'INTERCEPTORS' - as our domestic speed traps are called - between Walayar and Pgt, and again between Pattikad and Mannuthy. They speed limit is 70kmph() .. and from personal experience they seem to be lenient uptil 80 (however this can depend on the time of the month - everyone has targets you see... ) .
Old 28th January 2009, 11:12   #530
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I travelled from Bangalore to Thodupuzha last Wednesday via Mettur route, below are the details. Roads are much better now and I was able to cruise at 80 - 120 Kmph easily without risking road safety, my Palio Petrol gave me 15Kmpl with 50% AC. Thanks everyone, this thread was my Bible for th trip

Route :
Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Thoppur -> Mettur -> Bhavani -> Perumdhurai -> Avinashi -> Coimbatore -> Valayar -> Palakkad -> Trissur -> Angamali -> Muvattupuzha -> Thodupuzha

Distance : 580 (Rounded)

Time taken : 9 Hours 30 minutes including a 15minutes beak(Started at 9:45PM from Electronic City(saved 30mins bangalore traffic), reached Thodupuzha by 7:15AM)

Road Condition : Good (except few stretches near Bhavani due to bidge work)

Tips : Be careful in Mettur to Avinashi stretch, there are some pothholes which can be avoided easily if you are not overspeeding above 80Kmph. Also ensure u take proper deviations in Metur - Avinashi route(there are directions in major deviations but not large enough to spot while cruising in 80s).

Last edited by jacs : 28th January 2009 at 11:13.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:49   #531
BHPian

Just came back from Kerala. Took the Mettur route while going and the Salem route on the way back. I found the Mettur route really crowded. Maybe because we reached there at around 9 am on a weekday. I also hate those speedbreakers with no warnings. One took me by surprise.

Palakkad - Thrissur is done up except for the Palakkad bypass which is filled with pot-holes.
Salem route 4-laning is still happening. Absolutely horrible diversions. Watchout for those morons driving dump (dumb) trucks.
Old 29th January 2009, 10:47   #532
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to travel to Trivandrum on 3rd feb afternoon , i intend to take the Kgiri -> Dharmapuri-> Salem-> Coimbatore -> Palghat -> Cochin -> TVM route , leaving blore by 1330 Hrs target to reach coimbatore . I am aware of the road conditions till salem and from walayar onwards.

I need information on road conditions between Salem and coimbatore, can any of the recent travellers elaborate ?
Old 29th January 2009, 11:20   #533
BHPian

Did a bangy-cochin-bangy round trip.While going, I tool the Dindigul route since I had to go to Kanjirappally. Good roads except for some 15 kms bad section in Oddachantram-sembatty section.While coming back, took the ekm -palghat-cbe-sathy-anthiyur-ammapet route. Excellent roads right from cbe till ammapettai, Could avoid all those crazy diversions in NH 47 between cbe and salem and had a relaxing drive. Would recommend this route but a word of caution is that facilities are very poor on this route (except in towns).
Old 29th January 2009, 13:47   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I am planning to travel to Trivandrum on 3rd feb afternoon , i intend to take the Kgiri -> Dharmapuri-> Salem-> Coimbatore -> Palghat -> Cochin -> TVM route , leaving blore by 1330 Hrs target to reach coimbatore . I am aware of the road conditions till salem and from walayar onwards.

I need information on road conditions between Salem and coimbatore, can any of the recent travellers elaborate ?
You could take the Dharmapuri - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai route or alternatively take the one listed by joecherian via Sathyamangalam it would be far better. No point going all the way to Salem and coming to Bhavani.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:55   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
You could take the Dharmapuri - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai route or alternatively take the one listed by joecherian via Sathyamangalam it would be far better. No point going all the way to Salem and coming to Bhavani.
ok then i guess i will take the mettur bhavani route from dharmapuri...

thnx for the inputs , i set the initial route because it will ensure that i reach Cochin by midnight ...atleast was looking forward to a clean fast drive.

The sathyamangalam route would have slowed me down considerably.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:15   #536
BHPian

Quote:
The sathyamangalam route would have slowed me down considerably.
I don't think sathyamangalam route would slow you down. Infact I felt it the other way when I came through that route. You can avoid all the trucks and traffic on NH 47 as the sathy route is very very less in traffic and excellent roads.For me, it took exactly 2 hours to reach ammapettai (travel 20 more kms and you are in mettur) from coimbatore.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:21   #537
BHPian

Quote:

Update as on Sunday 1st Feb.

Bangalore to Salem - is very good in condition. Four lining done at 99% of the stretch. Took less than 140min for me to cover 200km from Salem to Belandur(Bangalore). But this was on a Sunday between 11AM and 1PM.

Salem to Bhavani - is decent enough with Four lining done at 60% of the stretch. Moderate traffic.

Bhavani - Avanashi - stretch is the worst part. Deep potholes allover and too many of them to avoid. Nasty traffic also. Nobody wants to give way or favor each other in this stretch. Your blood pressure will raise for sure!

Avanashi to Coimbatore L&T - is again bad. Heavy traffic all the time.

Coimbatore L&T to Cochin - is excellent in condition. Kerala roads are done up recently. So they are in good shape.

Did not do via mettur this time. Even if I do via mettur, I still have to take the pain of Bhavani - Coimbatore. So I thought I will enjoy the Bangalore-Salem stretch.

Onward journey took 12hours to cover 560Km. Speed limit with in 120kmph. Almost 2 hours gone for breaks. This was on a weekday.

Return journey took 10hours to cover 560km. Speed limit with in 130kmph. Almost 1 1/2 hours gone for breaks. This was on a Sunday.

Break-up will be like,

Bangalore - Salem = 2 1/2 hours for 200km
Salem - Coimbatore = 3 hours for 160km
Coimbatore - Cochin = 3 hours for 200km
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:11   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Update as on Sunday 1st Feb.

Bangalore - Salem = 2 1/2 hours for 200km
Salem - Coimbatore = 3 hours for 160km
Coimbatore - Cochin = 3 hours for 200km
ty for the update pal , i am travelling tomorrow and will hopefully pass by the same route , as i am not comfortable with the Mettur route , will update my journey my return journey will be through Gudalur - Mysore.

and hey by the way those are some pretty fast times especially if you are doing these during the day , and which car were you driving ?
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:00   #539
BHPian

Quote:
ty for the update pal , i am travelling tomorrow and will hopefully pass by the same route , as i am not comfortable with the Mettur route , will update my journey my return journey will be through Gudalur - Mysore.

and hey by the way those are some pretty fast times especially if you are doing these during the day , and which car were you driving ?
Yeah. I could maintain the speed pretty well. I started at 3AM from Cochin and reached Bangalore at 1PM on 1st of Feb (Sunday). It really depends on the time and day.

Mine is a Cedia Sports
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:58   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Yeah. I could maintain the speed pretty well. I started at 3AM from Cochin and reached Bangalore at 1PM on 1st of Feb (Sunday). It really depends on the time and day.

Mine is a Cedia Sports
I would also have loved to start at the same time but due to some reasons i cant this time other wise i usually drive over night to trivandrum , 1800 hrs start from Silkboard and in TVM before 0530 Hrs thats my usual run , but i havent done that for quite sometime now ..... and i am unsure about the road conditions between Salem and coimbatore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks