Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-358.html)

Such a downer reading about the poor state of roads in Kerala.The pictures of the road to Mannuthy are shocking. Had planned a road trip from Bangalore to Cochin mid August.Now most of the route options seem to be getting more restrictive. Has anyone done the Mysore route recently? Or even a more circuitous one, by say one hundred kilometers? As long as it is reasonably motorable and safe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramases6 (Post 3194196)
Such a downer reading about the poor state of roads in Kerala.

As always, the Kerala high court is now getting interested.

http://newindianexpress.com/states/k...cle1702646.ece

Malayala Manorama further reports that the judge warned the state that the court will fix liability on the government for accidents on these bad quality roads.

Two or three years ago someone calculated the total number of potholes on kerala's roads and every newspaper carried a daily scorecard of potholes filled on that day and the balance to be filled up. Funny.
Now, this time, it would be a lot easier to calculate the area of the undamaged road left left rather than counting the potholes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramases6 (Post 3194196)
... Has anyone done the Mysore route recently? Or even a more circuitous one, by say one hundred kilometers? As long as it is reasonably motorable and safe!

I am interested in a report too. The route (Bangalore to Kochi, via Mysore) is actually shorter than the via Salem route.

Has anyone done the Bangalore mysore bathery kalpetta calicut route recently? Heard that the extensive rains have broken the newly Laid roads. Any feedback if this is true and how bad is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3194747)
Has anyone done the Bangalore mysore bathery kalpetta calicut route recently? Heard that the extensive rains have broken the newly Laid roads. Any feedback if this is true and how bad is it?

Is this recent enough for you?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3172026

The biggest drawback of the Mysore-Gundlupet-wayanad-Calicut route is that it does not give you an option of starting late in the evening, due to the nigh time travel restriction on the forest stretch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversteed (Post 3187622)
Some subtle modifications in your route map:
Singasandra-Kalpathy

Came back from the trip on Sunday. Followed the route you guys suggested and I am glad that I did. Roads were in prime condition throughout. Until NH47 gets repaired (if it ever gets :)), I think this is the best possible option.

On the way back, I did a mistake though. At Pollachi, instead of continuing to 'Avinashi-Tiruppur-Palladam-Pollachi-Cochin' Road, I took NH-209 to Coimbatore (I blame it on GPS :)). So, I joined back NH47 at Coimbatore and had to go through all those diversions (due to road work) between Coimbatore and Avinashi. But, I avoided the major pain area (Walayar) between Palakkad and Coimbatore.

Few other points :-
1. Since its SH after Perundurai, you cant cruise at three digits like you can do on NH. You can still do 80s
2. There are small towns on the way, so you have to be a little more careful
3. SH between Thrissur and Shoranur is a little narrow. So, be careful. On top of it, there were lot of trucks. Also, I was driving in the night and it was raining heavily. So, the visibility was not that great
4. Roads inside Thrissur town are in bad condition (some of them, at least).
5. As others have pointed out, in Kerala vehicle density even on NH is on the higher side.

Thanks once again silversteed, NPV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 3194756)

Thanks binand. I had seen this post from you. Wanted to check if anyone had more recent information on points you had mentioned regarding the deterioration you had seen. Since it has been pretty much continuously raining this past month, I am assuming it would have worsened.

When in Kerala, if i am asking for directions, how to differentiate Wadakanchery from Vadakkencherry?

(the pronunciation)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzsys (Post 3195136)
When in Kerala, if i am asking for directions, how to differentiate Wadakanchery from Vadakkencherry?

(the pronunciation)

If you are not a Malayalee, your best bet is to adapt Herge's method - Wadakkanchery with a railway station and Vadakkenchery without a railway station. :-)

The trick is in the "k" sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzsys (Post 3195136)

(the pronunciation)

In addition to Binand' tip,the other way is to ask "Thrissur Wadakancheri" and the "Palakkad Vadakkencheri".The difference in pronounciation is the "kaan" and the "ken"

Hello! Any updates on road conditions from Valparai Tamil Nadu to Kochi? Planning Bangalore Kochi via Valparai . Distance is 60 km more than via Thrissur. Unable to get an accurate update on roadworthiness. Plan to stop at the Waterfalls Estate if I get a positive road report.Thanks.

Hi,
I was planning either a Bangalore-Cherai trip next weekend. Would like to stayover at either Ooty or wayanad for night or 2 on the way.

I will decide on either based on the road conditions of NH 212 or gudalur-Nilambur-perilthalmanna route from ooty. This is important since have a pregnant sis-in-law travelling along. Also which route of these is more scenic.

I am planning to be back via trissur-wadakaanchery-alathur-kollengode-pollachi-palladum-perundurai-bangalore route as being suggested here.

Please advise which road is in best state as of today.

p.s would be doing this in an innova.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramases6 (Post 3195293)
Hello! Any updates on road conditions from Valparai Tamil Nadu to Kochi? Planning Bangalore Kochi via Valparai . Distance is 60 km more than via Thrissur. Unable to get an accurate update on roadworthiness. Plan to stop at the Waterfalls Estate if I get a positive road report.Thanks.

The Valparai Athirappilly road was closed a few days back due to landslides.Must be open now.

Plus please do not go via the "extra" 60kms,in terms of time taken it would be much more than driving the straight road.Pollachi to Chalakudy budget for a minimum 6hours drive via Valparai imo.