Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 19:04   #4651
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Did a Bangalore > Kottayam trip today on the classic route (Salem > Cbe bye-pass > Kuthiran > Angamaly > MC Road) in 11 hours including one hour break. The Kuthiran section is quite drivable even though there are quite a few potholes spread across some 10 kms. Chengapally>cbe by-pass has improved a lot. Traffic was very less overall due to holiday.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 08:32   #4652
BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Kozhikkode via Kanakpura, Malavalli, Kollegal, Chamarajnagar, Gundlupet, Bathery on 22nd and cam back on 25th, the same way. Roads, all the way till Chamarajnagar are in good shape, except for two small patches after Yelandur, which are being repaired. Chamarajnagar to Gundlupet is OK, with occasional rough roads and surprise potholes. From Gundlupet till Kerala border, roads are in good shape, but there are some humps which are still un-marked. There are 3 dips, which are also unmarked and if not careful, can take it's toll on the car. After the Kerala border, as usual, the roads are bad (grow up, dear home state). All the way till Muthanga check-post, things are horrible. After Muthanga, the road work have started but there are quite some places where there are literally no roads. From Bathery till Kalpetta, there is repair work going on at different places and expect delays because of one-sided traffic. The infamous stretch after Meenangadi is now in much better condition. After Vythiri, the roads are smooth, all the way till Kozhikkode.

This time, I stopped at Nijaguna Residency, Chamarajnagar, for breakfast. Nice place and the the food and facilities were also good.

Last edited by A350XWB : 27th December 2012 at 08:34.
Old 27th December 2012, 16:03   #4653
BHPian

planning to drive down from hyderabad to Erumeli,kottayam District for Sabarimala pilgrimage due to non-availability of rail tickets . Need help on route , road condition from CBE till Erumeli .

current plan : hyd-blore-salem -cbe byepass-palghat-thissur-ernakullam-kottayam .
depart hyd by 8.30 am
reach blore by 4-5 pm
reach salem / cbe by 9-10pm break for the day
Start cbe by 5am
reach erumeli by 11.30 - 12pm

i am the only driver , possible !
Old 27th December 2012, 20:25   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
planning to drive down from hyderabad to Erumeli,kottayam District for Sabarimala pilgrimage due to non-availability of rail tickets . Need help on route , road condition from CBE till Erumeli .

current plan : hyd-blore-salem -cbe byepass-palghat-thissur-ernakullam-kottayam .
depart hyd by 8.30 am
reach blore by 4-5 pm
reach salem / cbe by 9-10pm break for the day
Start cbe by 5am
reach erumeli by 11.30 - 12pm

i am the only driver , possible !
I think, fastest would be Hyd-Blr-Salem (Break)-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Sabarimala

Considering the present day time traffic in kerala, you should budget more time for Coimbatore-Sabarimala, if its through Kerala route.
Old 28th December 2012, 08:58   #4655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I think, fastest would be Hyd-Blr-Salem (Break)-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Sabarimala

Considering the present day time traffic in kerala, you should budget more time for Coimbatore-Sabarimala, if its through Kerala route.
Hi thanks for the update , how are the roads in ghat section between theni - kumily - erumeli , since i am have done very few ghat section drives .
Old 28th December 2012, 10:20   #4656
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Sabarimala in October.
The route through Coimbatore is the regular route I do most of the time.
This year I had taken the route via Devanahalli-Salem-Dindugul-Nilakottai-Vatalagundu-
Theni-Cumbum-Kumily-Sabarimala.
The roads from Vatalagundu to Cumbum is being four laned lot of diversions but manageble.
If you want to skip Erumeli then you have a direct route from Mundakkayam to Sabarimala.
Self driving better halt at Salem or Dindugul.
The bad stretch is from Vatalagundu to Cumbum rest all the roads are in good condition.
Once you enter Kumily stick to your left lane even in curves if you can maintain lane disipline
it will not be a problem driving in the ghats in Kerala

Last edited by gajadonga : 28th December 2012 at 10:24.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:14   #4657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
the second route is definitely more scenic although time consuming. Need to be careful from Poompara onwards keeping your vehicle to the left.
=============
I hope I have confused you enough with the verbose.
Hi VJ, any views on ernakulam, muvattupuzha, thodupuzha, idukki, kattappana, kumil, kambam, theni madurai route. Am planning to do Bangalore Kochi 1st week of Jan
Old 28th December 2012, 19:26   #4658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just a thought:

Since most folks are already using Pollachi-Kollengode option, how much does it take to Alathur/Pazhanur/Wadakacherry/Trichur/Ernakulam,
versus if one just decides to take the Valparai Chalakudy option. Its just 60km to the other side. During day time there is hardly any traffic
on the ghats. Off-course roads are narrow. But with careful, vigil, they can be dealt with.

How worthy it is as an alternative, if one is looking at destinations south of Chalakudy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From Bangalore come on NH47 till Perundurai,then divert off it and go via Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Malakkapara-Vazhachal-Athirappilly-Chalakudy-NH47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Ranjit mentioned, once you reach Pollachi ask any for the route to Aliyar dam or Valparai. This goes thought about 30 hairpin bends and narrow roads (though low on traffic) and you end up at the other end.
Thank you Ampere and ranjithp for the idea! i've decided to drive to Valparai from Bangalore tomorrow. Planning to start early morning and reach there before noon. Have booked a homestay for the day, and we will continue the journey to Angamaly on Sunday to attend a wedding there.
Any recent updates on the road condition in this route?
Old 28th December 2012, 20:06   #4659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Thank you Ampere and ranjithp for the idea! i've decided to drive to Valparai from Bangalore tomorrow. Planning to start early morning and reach there before noon. Have booked a homestay for the day, and we will continue the journey to Angamaly on Sunday to attend a wedding there.
Any recent updates on the road condition in this route?
At least till Valparai is perfect, in fact Picture perfect ! Beyond Valparai, few rough patches till down hill.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 20:15   #4660
Senior - BHPian

I did Angamali-Valparai route last month. The road is narrow but good. There is a short cut to Angamali without going through Chalakudy and that road is patchy.
Here are some snaps

The bad section in below image is the short cut to Angamaly.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-ac1.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-ac2.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-ac3.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-ac4.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 20:32   #4661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did Angamali-Valparai route last month. The road is narrow but good. There is a short cut to Angamali without going through Chalakudy and that road is patchy.
Here are some snaps

The road surface looks amazing from the pics. Is this the same road that someone reported recently to be in terrible condition ??
Old 28th December 2012, 21:17   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some snaps

Wow, the pics are stunning. The bad road seems pretty OK to me. Can you give me driving directions for this shortcut? Is it the one which has a ferry? I remember driving to athirapally from aluva some 10 years back and taking a shortcut through a rubber estate and a ferry.
Old 29th December 2012, 00:16   #4663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
Hi VJ, any views on ernakulam, muvattupuzha, thodupuzha, idukki, kattappana, kumil, kambam, theni madurai route. Am planning to do Bangalore Kochi 1st week of Jan

Hi Prashant,

I just did a whirlwind trip to Kottayam through Dindugul Theni Kumily route and returned back through eranakulam.

The whole stretch from Bangalore to Kumily is perfect except around 40kms just after Dindugul bypass where you take right towards Vatalagundu until past Vatalagundu uptill Periyamkulam. Lots of pending road work at this stretch. Normally I do 7 hrs to cover this 540kms, now it takes around 9 hrs.

The Bangalore - EKM stretch, expect roadwork towards the end of the express highway nearing coimbatore , which connects you on to the old coimbatore bypass towards Valayar checkpost. Once you take a left from Chanakya hotel on the palghat-Thrissur bypass, the roads are very bad till you reach Mannuthy. Most of the potholes(the real big ones that can eat up a small sedan), are more or less patched up, but need to be very careful on this stretch.

To reach Kattappana, you can take the EKM,Kothamangalam,Adimaly,Cheruthoni,Idukki,Kattpa na route - Adimali to Kattpana will be arounbd 60kms, or go through Muvattupuzha, Thodupuzha, Idukki, Kattpana route - Thodupuzha to Kattapan is around 80kms. The first route is preferred if you are travelling after 6 pm or so as you are less prone to cross paths with wild elephants on this route. The second one is a scenic drive during the morning time. Night 10 out of 10 times, I have gone through this route, I have either got stuck because of wild elephants on road or atleast sighted a herd here and there.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous and want to see some untouched scenery once you are in EKM, you can take Todupuzha, Muttam , Elaveezhapoonchira road that takes you to Elappara, and from there you can go to Kattpana town.

Cheers

Last edited by jmvivek : 29th December 2012 at 00:18. Reason: typo
Old 29th December 2012, 12:44   #4664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Wow, the pics are stunning. The bad road seems pretty OK to me. Can you give me driving directions for this shortcut? Is it the one which has a ferry? I remember driving to athirapally from aluva some 10 years back and taking a shortcut through a rubber estate and a ferry.
A new bridge is built there. You have to take a left turn in front of Silverstorm theme park (IIRC). I remember seeing a board saying "Angamaly shorter by xx kms" at this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The road surface looks amazing from the pics. Is this the same road that someone reported recently to be in terrible condition ??
The road in Kerala is in excellent shape and ok in TN

Last edited by coolclouds : 29th December 2012 at 12:55.
Old 29th December 2012, 12:55   #4665
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A new bridge is built there. You have to take a left turn in front of Silverstorm theme park (IIRC). I remember seeing a board saying "Angamaly shorter by xx kms" at this place.
If you're driving from Angamaly side, you will reach a "T" junction after a bridge and on the opposite side you will see Silverstorm theme park. Here if you make a right turn you will go towards Athirapilly/Vazhachal and left will take you towards Chalakudy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks