Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-298.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyb (Post 2977547)
I am planning to take the below route from Trivendrum to Bangalore as I want to visit Srivilliputtur. Else would have taken the known Nagercoil route and then NH7. What is the road condition
Trivendrum –> Nedumangadu->Palode->Thenmala ->Rajapalyam->Srivillaputtur->Madurai->NH7 to Bangalore

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2977627)
Pramod had taken this road. Its narrow but very decent is what I remember him mentioning.

I had taken this route in 2011 October and the roads were OK then. It is also shorter than the Nagercoil route and more scenic. Expect some Sabarimala traffic. Also, this route is not suitable for night driving. Go ahead and take it.

Does anyone know the road condition between Avinashi and CBE. Is it advisable to take the Kangeyam - Pollachi route to Palakkad during night (around 10 PM) ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinucv (Post 2979313)
Does anyone know the road condition between Avinashi and CBE. Is it advisable to take the Kangeyam - Pollachi route to Palakkad during night (around 10 PM) ?

L&T Bypass is ok.Walayar-Palakkad is bad to ok.IMO no need to divert from NH47 if your destination is Palakkad.If its beyond Palakkad,then taking the Pollachi route makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodpk (Post 2977877)
I had taken this route in 2011 October and the roads were OK then. It is also shorter than the Nagercoil route and more scenic. Expect some Sabarimala traffic. Also, this route is not suitable for night driving. Go ahead and take it.

Thanks Pramod. We will do this during day time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 2976727)
If you dont have any particular reason to take the NH212,take the Nilambur route to Palakkad.Roads are far better than the Wayanad route.Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Wandoor-Pandikkad-Pattikad-Perinthalmana-Manarkad-Olavakode-Palakkad.Ofcourse this route is again provided you do not want to take the NH7-NH47 combo

If you do end up taking the NH212,nothing to worry about pumps,plenty of them on the route.

I have to touch Vythiri, else I would used the above said route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satshen (Post 2976647)
On Sunday 25/11/2012 I had done the Nilambur - Manjeri - Areekode - Mukkam - Thamarassery - Sulthan Bathery route. The road is good, except for a short rough stretch between Mukkam - Thamarassery where a culvert is under construction (don't recollect the exact place).

No idea about good bunk in Sulthan Bathery

Thats good news on the road condition. Shall update the post when I back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansvk (Post 2979799)
I have to touch Vythiri, else I would used the above said route.

Thats good news on the road condition. Shall update the post when I back.

If you have to take NH212, take a look at the suggestions in this thread on how to avoid the bad Meenangadi-Kalpetta stretch. (Take a left at Kolagappara junction about 5 kms after Sulthan Batheri and go via Ambalavayal-Vadunanchal-Meppadi and join NH212 back at Chundale)

Dear BHPians,

I will be travelling to Kazhakootam from Bangalore during Christmas. I'm planning to take the Thenmala route this time. I have never done this route before. I would like your suggestions on this route. Previously I have always taken Madurai-->Tirunelveli-->Nagercoil route.

Also, on the Thenmala route from google maps I see a deviation without touching Punalur. I would like to know if anyone has travelled this route. I have attached an image below.

All Roads to Kerala-route.jpg

Regards
Varun

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunmukund (Post 2981002)
Dear BHPians,

I will be travelling to Kazhakootam from Bangalore during Christmas. I'm planning to take the Thenmala route this time. I have never done this route before. I would like your suggestions on this route. Previously I have always taken Madurai-->Tirunelveli-->Nagercoil route.

Also, on the Thenmala route from google maps I see a deviation without touching Punalur. I would like to know if anyone has travelled this route. I have attached an image below.

Attachment 1022321

Regards
Varun

You do not have to touch Punalur anyway. At Tenmala, turn left towards the Trivandrum road (clearly marked) and that is the road you have marked in G Maps above

Quote:

Dear BHPians,

Regards
Varun

Did the shenkottai - Allepey - cochin route last week ( through punalur). The initial stretch on Thenmala hills is really bad. Huge craters all over the place. And once you take this route ( or any route within kerala) calculating your travel time is almost impossible except probably when it's a night drive ( post 9 PM ). You can try this if you want some adventure :-)

Hi All
Way out of topic, but didnt know where else to post, so please excuse me.

Wanted to check if anybody is traveling to Kannur, Kerala specifically Taliparamba on Dec 7th evening. I need to attend a wedding there, but i am only getting tickets for Saturday evening. I am ready to share in the driving, travel costs till there.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Ronald

What is the state of NH47 between kochi and trivandrum. I am visiting tvm tomorrow

Quote:

Dear BHPians,

Attachment 1022321

Regards
Varun

I took this route last week but with a small deviation. I took Palode route from Kulathuppuzha. The first 10 km from Kulathuppuzha has a little bumpy ride but the rest of the road till TVM is very smooth and less traffic. But the main problem with the diversion from Madurai is the stretch between Madurai and Shenkottai where there are few small towns which has lot of traffic and hence cuts down your speed. It took 14 hours for me to reach TVM with about 3 hours of break. Not sure if I have really saved some time with respect to Nagercoil route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselLover (Post 2984445)
What is the state of NH47 between kochi and trivandrum. I am visiting tvm tomorrow

Pretty good. The only stretch to watch out is between Alleppey and Kayamkulam. Just after Alleppey it's bad and after that many sections till Kayamkulam are patched up and wont be comfortable. Took this route a month back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju

Pretty good. The only stretch to watch out is between Alleppey and Kayamkulam. Just after Alleppey it's bad and after that many sections till Kayamkulam are patched up and wont be comfortable. Took this route a month back.

Retaring was going on in this stretch when i passed that route two weeks back. Hope they have covered a good portion by now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheroad (Post 2984600)
Retaring was going on in this stretch when i passed that route two weeks back. Hope they have covered a good portion by now.

Did the stretch two weeks back. The stretch from Alleppey till we cross the bridge near Ambalappuzha (~13 kms) is not that good. Again, the stretch between Kayamkulam and Harippad is also not good, with frequent bad potholes.
The rest of the route is good, only issue is constant traffic which gets worse in case you are doing it during peak hours.