Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-276.html)

How are the roads between palakkad and coimbatore? And the traffic at Walayar? Trying to drive to Ooty from Trichur thru Ottapalam and reach palakakd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin (Post 2896836)
How are the roads between palakkad and coimbatore? And the traffic at Walayar? Trying to drive to Ooty from Trichur thru Ottapalam and reach palakakd.

Palakkad to Coimbatore was average until last week. Walayar to Madukkarai could be a pain if you are in a low GC vehicle - its not horrible, but would eat time. Traffic at Walayar should be low, since the peak season is over.

Driven to Thrissur from Bangalore on 6th Sep morning. Started at 4:45am and stopped at 07:45 at Saravana bhavan after Salem. There are many diversions after Avinasi and too much of traffic. Roads are bad from Valayar onwards. There are big potholes but still you can drive easily during day time. I took Alathur - Pazhayannur - Chelakkara route. The roads are very good and very less in traffic. It is wide enough for the current traffic density.

From Thrissur, I drove to Payyannur via Calicut. Took the left turn and the immediate right at Kechery to byepass Kunnamkulam. This is a very good option with less traffic and good roads. You will reach Akkikkavu in NH17, just before the turn to Pattambi.

Thanks
Rajesh

Report in Malayala Manorama about a 3 Hr traffic block in Kuthiran yesterday due to truck breakdowns. Potholes that were temporarily filled have opened up as per the report (though I didn't find any such filling during my trip 2 weeks back!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajeshK (Post 2897316)
From Thrissur, I drove to Payyannur via Calicut. Took the left turn and the immediate right at Kechery to byepass Kunnamkulam. This is a very good option with less traffic and good roads. You will reach Akkikkavu in NH17, just before the turn to Pattambi.

Shouldn't that be "the right turn and the immediate left" at Kechery ?? (Just pointing out so that someone who is looking for directions for that bypass doesn't get confused :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by kala (Post 2901016)
Shouldn't that be "the right turn and the immediate left" at Kechery ?? (Just pointing out so that someone who is looking for directions for that bypass doesn't get confused :) )

Yes, thanks Kala. Its right and then left ...!!!

Has anyone taken the Madurai route from Bangalore? Heard that there are some road work going on and advised to avoid night driving? Is there any reason for concern? I drive a low GC Punto. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by joommen (Post 2906152)
Has anyone taken the Madurai route from Bangalore? Heard that there are some road work going on and advised to avoid night driving? Is there any reason for concern? I drive a low GC Punto. Thanks

Road widening work happening around Dindigul,no problems with safety or any other concern,would slow you down because of diversions.You can easily drive through.

Can someone suggest a good place to have breakfast at theni-cumbam-Kumily or further ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeep3in (Post 2906898)
Can someone suggest a good place to have breakfast at theni-cumbam-Kumily or further ahead.

At Theni:
1.Meenakshi Bhavan right next to a BP petrol pump and about 1-2 Km before the right turn off to Bodi when going from Theni to Bodi.
2.You can also try Western Gatz, heard it is good.
Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeep3in (Post 2906898)

At Theni you have hotel Meenakshi bhavan. Its I think right next to the petrol bunk after the Madurai road meets the Theni-Kumily road at the by-pass.

I have also heard about a Hotel Vaigai on the main road for food.

A more upmarket place is Westergatz on the NRT road. Its very close to main highway. Also seems like a decent place to stay over night.

EDIT : NPV, Just saw your post. Yes Westergatz is a decent. Even I have heard good things about. (But I have not stayed there)
Just checked their web site. Seems like a good place.

http://www.westerngatz.com

Route update...

Have done Chennai - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi - Attur - Salem - Sangagiri - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Meenakshipuram - Kollengode - Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy - Chalakudi - Angamaly - Perumbavoor - Muvattupuzha last weekend instead of regular Erode - CBE - Palakkad - Thrissur/Mannuthy.

All the roads are excellent except the 15 Km of bad roads between Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy stretch starting from Vadakkancherry, where one can find potholes of all sizes, shapes & depths.

I'm sure many would've updated here the super dooper stretch between Thrissur - Angamaly is pure driving/riding pleasure.

Perundurai - Kangeyam stretch is good enough but feels a little scary on speeds above 80 for some reason

Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi is pure riding/driving pleasure on two lane road

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2907105)
Route update...

Have done Chennai - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi - Attur - Salem - Sangagiri - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Meenakshipuram - Kollengode - Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy - Chalakudi - Angamaly - Perumbavoor - Muvattupuzha last weekend instead of regular Erode - CBE - Palakkad - Thrissur/Mannuthy.

How was the stretch between Attur-Salem? And how did you bypass Salem? Are the roads good enough to bypass Salem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rameshnanda

How was the stretch between Attur-Salem? And how did you bypass Salem? Are the roads good enough to bypass Salem?

Attur-Salem is better than taking Krishnagiri route for a simple reason that last 13-15 km is being worked. Basically from Vazhapadi onwards & it slows down to 30-40 kmph for traffic on 2 lane & the entire city is bypassed

Thinking of a Chennai to Aluva road trip this weekend (a family trip and no train tickets available).

Some questions:
A. What is the best route (no diversions/blocks/major road work) to take from the 3 options Google throws up

1. Chennai-> Villupuram->Ulundurpet -> Salem - Ernakulam Highway/NH 544
2. NH 48 (Vellore -> Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri ->) and Salem - Ernakulam Highway/NH 544
3. Chennai->Wallajah->Kannamangalam->Polur->Uthangarai-> Salem - Ernakulam Highway/NH 544 and NH 544

B. Approximately how much time to factor for each way and is it do-able (not too tiring for a single driver)within Saturday (Onward)and Sunday(Return) ?