Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-263.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodpk (Post 2866153)
.... start at 5:00 AM on August 15th.....
....My priority is to reach home fastest........ I do not mind slightly broken sections .....

Since your start time is 5 am from Saravana Bhavan, I would recommend the known regular route itself for a faster drive to reach Vaikom before 12noon. L&T exit to Walayar and Vadakkancherry to Mannuthy is in bad shape but can be easily negotiated during day light. Also there should not be any traffic block at Walayar during morning time.

Anyways, Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy stretch you have to do even if you take alternate route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 2866461)
Since your start time is 5 am from Saravana Bhavan, I would recommend the known regular route itself for a faster drive to reach Vaikom before 12noon. L&T exit to Walayar and Vadakkancherry to Mannuthy is in bad shape but can be easily negotiated during day light. Also there should not be any traffic block at Walayar during morning time.

Anyways, Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy stretch you have to do even if you take alternate route.

Please check my post above. I had experienced this personally last August and had to take deviations via alternate roads to finally reach Wadakkancherry.
I think the NH 47 between Palakkad and Thrissur has to be avoided at any cost.

Manorama news was showing the pathetic condition of Kuthiran and Irumbu Paalam today morning. Road was looking pathetic and there was a long queue of vehicles. Not able to decide whether to use NH 47 or come through Pollachi will retruning from Cochin. I am driving through Udumalpet -> Munnar while going, so no confusion there

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodpk (Post 2866471)
Please check my post above. I had experienced this personally last August and had to take deviations via alternate roads to finally reach Wadakkancherry.
I think the NH 47 between Palakkad and Thrissur has to be avoided at any cost.

L&T exit to Walayar and Vadakkancherry to Mannuthy is the stretch best avoided. You can easily negotiate Avinashi-L&T and Walayar - Vadakkancherry during off peak day time. Since August 15 being a holiday, the traffic should be low.

Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy stretch is known for lorry break down due to potholes and being this a two lane, traffic gets interrupted. The local buses and toddy jeeps make the situation worst, if there is a traffic block. Better, check with lorry guys at Palakkad and confirm before proceeding.

I didn't mention Shornur route as you don't want to go through Trichur but may consider Shornur route to avoid any risk. I have posted some images of Trichur-Palakkad route as on 29th July few posts back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 2866495)
Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy stretch is known for lorry break down due to potholes and being this a two lane, traffic gets interrupted. The local buses and toddy jeeps make the situation worst, if there is a traffic block. Better, check with lorry guys at Palakkad and confirm before proceeding.

I didn't mention Shornur route as you don't want to go through Trichur but may consider Shornur route to avoid any risk. I have posted some images of Trichur-Palakkad route as on 29th July few posts back.

I will go via thrissur if it cannot be avoided. Now I am pretty convince that I should avoid Kuthiran.

Now the question is

Should I take.
Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Alathur - Pazhayannoor - Wadakkancherry - Thrissur

or

Palakkad - Wadakkeancherry - thrissur.

I would take the faster one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodpk (Post 2866529)
I will go via thrissur if it cannot be avoided. Now I am pretty convince that I should avoid Kuthiran.

Now the question is

Should I take.
Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Alathur - Pazhayannoor - Wadakkancherry - Thrissur

or

Palakkad - Wadakkeancherry - thrissur.

I would take the faster one.

If I at your place on above given time,

Avinashi-L&T-Palakkad, ask local guys about situation at Kuthiran. If traffic block reported, take Palakkad-Shornur-Trichur, else, NH47.

Friends,

Do you have any latest updates on Thekkady-Munnar stretch? The best route suggested is via Nedumkandam/Poppara but would like to know if its safe to drive in the evenings/night (say starting from Thekkady after 5 PM)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsfreak (Post 2866958)
Friends,

You have any latest updates on Thekkady-Munnar stretch. The best route suggested is via Nedumkandam/Poppara but would like to know if its safe to drive in the evenings/night (say starting from Thekkady after 5 PM)?

@nfs, one item I forgot to mention in the other thread;

The Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar road was bad last monsoon.
Dont know how it is today. So need to check Poppara-Munnar road status also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsfreak (Post 2866958)
Friends,

Do you have any latest updates on Thekkady-Munnar stretch? The best route suggested is via Nedumkandam/Poppara but would like to know if its safe to drive in the evenings/night (say starting from Thekkady after 5 PM)?

Remember that you can expect wildlife crossings after dark approaching Poopara from Nedumkandam & at Anairangi. ON very rainy days, expect heavy fog too

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2866961)
@nfs, one item I forgot to mention in the other thread;

The Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar road was bad last monsoon.
Dont know how it is today. So need to check Poppara-Munnar road status also.

I travelled through Chinnakkanal-Munnar Kothamangalam route yesterday. munnar to chinnakanal section is in some what good condition(drivable). yes, it was rainy and foggy all the way from neryamangalam towards east.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepclutch (Post 2867264)
I travelled through Chinnakkanal-Munnar Kothamangalam route yesterday. munnar to chinnakanal section is in some what good condition(drivable). yes, it was rainy and foggy all the way from neryamangalam towards east.

How is the road condition between Neryamangalam-Munnar? Also the road around Munnar town/Ksrtc bus stand area?

Thanks Ampere, deepclutch & HVK Sir. Then I will plan to cover Thekkady-Munnar during day time just to be on safer side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 2867428)
How is the road condition between Neryamangalam-Munnar? Also the road around Munnar town/Ksrtc bus stand area?

I recall there are some places between neryamangalam-adimaly with bad surface. and yes, it is patchy nearing munnar, that bridge before KSRTC stand .

Folks,
I am planning to travel to Kollam on 18th early morning. Reading the Palakad-Trissur story, do you guys think it is better to go through Madurai route? Can anyone help me with the routes and deviations ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper (Post 2867997)
Folks,
I am planning to travel to Kollam on 18th early morning. Reading the Palakad-Trissur story, do you guys think it is better to go through Madurai route? Can anyone help me with the routes and deviations ?

I think that Madurai route is always good for Kollam. In fact if one is going to south Kerala, I think NH7 is always a better option. Distances are almost the same.

In the Madurai route out of 700 km 450 is 4L (till Madurai), then you are on to 2L road.