Team-BHP - All Roads to Kerala
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   All Roads to Kerala (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27690-all-roads-kerala-252.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodpk (Post 2790828)
Yesterday, while coming back from Vaikom, took the Avinashi bypass. There are signboards pointing to Salem. The bypass is 90% complete. One bridge towards the end is not complete. Did not notice this while going to Kerala but noticed vehicles coming from Salem side yesterday.

Walayar to coimbatore bypass is patchy. The 4 laning work seems to be stopped.

So i can infer the following

1. Avinashi to Coimbatore Bypass is 90% complete so there should not be a problem
2. Coimbatore Bypass to Walayar checkpoint is patchy. Now how bad is it? Will a softly sprung sedan like Manza bottom out or something that can be managed easily?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascertain (Post 2790830)
Guys- planning a trip to guruvayoor on june 3 from mysore. Accomodation booked in thrissur, so we need a good hassle free route from mysore to thrissur - can anyone give a final verdict on this?.. I went through all the posts, but need a 100% recommendation- thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodpk (Post 2790835)
Any reasons for staying at Thrissur? There are lot of hotels in Guruvayur.

+1. Besides, coming from Mysore side, you will anyway pass close to Guruvayoor on your way to Thrissur. So staying at Thrissur would mean something like 45-50km extra running (round-trip).

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 2790880)
So i can infer the following

1. Avinashi to Coimbatore Bypass is 90%
2. Coimbatore Bypass to Walayar checkpoint is patchy.

By Avinashi bypass, I meant the bypass to Avinashi town alone. Not the entire Avinashi to Coimbatore section. The condition is not bad. The diversions are tarred.

Coimbatore Walayar is not that bad. The surface is not great and there are potholes at the diversions. Nothing to worry.

Finally, some movement towards getting proper highways.

All Roads to Kerala-dsc07238.jpg

I hope the loooonnggg-delayed bypasses too get completed along with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 2790771)
Any update on the Avinashi - Valayar road section to go towards Kochi? Is it still under construction and we need to take service road which was in bad state.

Avinashi bypass is opened. I traveled through it yesterday. Beware of the bridges - the expansion joints are high at places making for a very jumpy ride.

Walayar to beginning of Avinashi bypass is still under construction. The works on the Walayar-CBE Bypass section seems to be standstill now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 2788812)
I always used to cover this stretch after midnight while going to Kochi and never faced any issues. Regarding Bandh, I think there won't be any problem, at least till 7 am.

Thanks coolclouds but there is another protest on 30th also by opposition party :( Not sure if it will impact highway traffic though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 2788835)
There would be no safety issues per se.But getting fuel would be a major problem as all the pumps would shut down in the name of taking precautions.

Thanks ranjithp. Even i am worried about the availability of diesel as there is an acute shortage of fuel in Chennai. Though i have managed to get a full tank 2 days ago, it won't be sufficient to reach my destination which is Kottayam. Currently almost all bunks are closed in Chennai :( Wondering whats the situation along the highways. Any idea ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinucv (Post 2791796)
Currently almost all bunks are closed in Chennai :( Wondering whats the situation along the highways. Any idea ?

Highways are least affected on these so called harthals and getting diesel shouldn't be a problem on highways. Diesel was available at Shankari Lorry Owners Association bunk on a similar day, few months back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaiks (Post 2791762)
Avinashi bypass is opened. I traveled through it yesterday. Beware of the bridges - the expansion joints are high at places making for a very jumpy ride.

Walayar to beginning of Avinashi bypass is still under construction. The works on the Walayar-CBE Bypass section seems to be standstill now.

1. You mean the blueline in the picture below is the bypass that is opened but the culvert approach arent done well.

Name:  avinashi bypass.png
Views: 1899
Size:  119.5 KB

2. In the picture below from the end of the Avinashi bypass to Walayar is where the road is still under construction, which 62kms as per google.

Name:  avinashiwalayar.png
Views: 1367
Size:  280.2 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinucv (Post 2791796)
Thanks ranjithp. Even i am worried about the availability of diesel as there is an acute shortage of fuel in Chennai. Though i have managed to get a full tank 2 days ago, it won't be sufficient to reach my destination which is Kottayam. Currently almost all bunks are closed in Chennai :( Wondering whats the situation along the highways. Any idea ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolclouds (Post 2791809)
Highways are least affected on these so called harthals and getting diesel shouldn't be a problem on highways. Diesel was available at Shankari Lorry Owners Association bunk on a similar day, few months back.

Pumps in the highway would function. The ones operated by KPN (in Salem) and those by various LOAs (Lorry Owners Association) - including the ones in Sankari, Perundurai, Coimbatore, etc would work normally. They would have adequate stock of diesel as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 2791954)
1. You mean the blueline in the picture below is the bypass that is opened but the culvert approach arent done well.

2. In the picture below from the end of the Avinashi bypass to Walayar is where the road is still under construction, which 62kms as per google.

You got point #1 correct. All the bridges on the bypass section is in poor shape - and also expect vehicles in the wrong direction, due to ill-marked diversions.

Avinashi bypass to beginning of CBE Bypass (Neelambur) is under construction. At many places, they've opened one side of the road, so there aren't many "diversions".

CBE Bypass end (madukkarai end) to Walayar is standstill - lots of diversions, and the diversions are often patchy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaiks (Post 2792133)
You got point #1 correct. All the bridges on the bypass section is in poor shape - and also expect vehicles in the wrong direction, due to ill-marked diversions.

Avinashi bypass to beginning of CBE Bypass (Neelambur) is under construction. At many places, they've opened one side of the road, so there aren't many "diversions".

CBE Bypass end (madukkarai end) to Walayar is standstill - lots of diversions, and the diversions are often patchy.

:thumbs up Thanks got your point, helps as we can plan to buffer in a couple of hours into the total journey time, by the way has Monsoons started in Kerala?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 2792188)
:thumbs up Thanks got your point, helps as we can plan to buffer in a couple of hours into the total journey time, by the way has Monsoons started in Kerala?

No, Not yet.

My run times yesterday:

Started from home at 0850hrs (near Kodungallur, Thrissur). Went via Thrissur town, Wadakkencherry, Chelakkara, Mayannur, and reached Mankarai at 1100hrs. (101kms covered)

Started from Mankarai at around 1215hrs, and reached Arakere on Bannerghatta Road at 1945hrs. The route taken was Mankarai, Palakkad town, Coimbatore bypass, Perundurai bypass, Salem (30mins break including refueling at KPN), numerous breaks between Dharmapuri and Hosur for getting mangoes, Hosur, Attibelle, E.City, Bommanahalli, Devarachikkanahalli. It took about 6:30hrs from Mankarai to E.City.

I drove from Vaikom to Bangalore (Brookefields) on 27th May. Started from Vaikom at 8:10 AM and reached home at 6:15 PM with total breaks of 45 minutes for lunch and 2 fuel breaks.

Attached is the scanned copy of all toll receipts from Mannuthy to Attibele.

All Roads to Kerala-toll-1.png
All Roads to Kerala-toll-2.png

Hi, planning to go to Pandalam from Trivandrum via Pathanamthitta.
I am aware of the Trivandrum - Pandalam road condition, but the deviation to Pathanamthitta is what is worrying;

Any idea on the current road condition for the route;

1. Adoor -> Vettipuram, Pathanamthitta
2. Vettipuram, Pathanamthitta -> Pandalam/Chengannur

please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by manojmis (Post 2792380)
Hi, planning to go to Pandalam from Trivandrum via Pathanamthitta.
I am aware of the Trivandrum - Pandalam road condition, but the deviation to Pathanamthitta is what is worrying;

Any idea on the current road condition for the route;

1. Adoor -> Vettipuram, Pathanamthitta
2. Vettipuram, Pathanamthitta -> Pandalam/Chengannur

please:

Not clear. if you are going to Pandalam why are u going via Pathanamthitta? You can take MC road from Adoor to pandalam

If u want to go to Pathanamthitta, no need to go to Pandalam. Just take the pathanamthita route from Adoor (Take right from the roundabout at Adoor and then left). Signages are present.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soccerfan (Post 2792624)
Not clear.

Sorry for not putting it precisely.

I normally travel to Chengannur via MC road.
But for this week, I need to go to Pathanamthitta as well, so i thought of going to Pathanamthitta from Trivandrum, meet up my friend there, and then will go to Chengannur via Pandalam. This was what the google maps was showing when i added Pathanamthitta as the intermediate deviation point.

Now, am very much clear on the Tvm-Chengannur road, but need information on the deviation roads, that is from Adoor to Pathanamthitta and secondly from Pathanamthitta to Pandalam.