Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:14   #2956
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
overall i would still reccomend nh7-nh47 combo for ease of driving.
How about taking the Palakkad-Pattambi-Perumbilavu-Kunnamkulam route instead of the Palghat-Trichur portion of NH47 ? The road is excellent till Pattambi, and from Perumbilavu to Guruvayur (Both stretches are better than NH47) and the distance is almost the same - actually a couple of kms shorter as per GM. Any idea how's the condition of the Pattambi-Perumbilavu section ?
Old 23rd November 2011, 07:19   #2957
BHPian

Quote:
The nilambur option is shorter by around 50kms but it would be a longer drive in terms of time,especially after vazhikadavu the local traffic slows you down considerably and its a constant clutch brake accelerator ritual after that,plus the roads are narrow.

If you simply want to try a different route then take it else dont bother.you could stop for an early lunch at vazhiyoram just before nilambur town.overall i would still reccomend nh7-nh47 combo for ease of driving.
Thanks Ranjit for coming to my help once again! The route I had taken on this stretch 2 years back was B'lore-Mysore-Gundulpet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Perimpilavu -Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor. I agree with you absolutely about the local traffic - it added a lot of stress at the end of an otherwise enjoyable drive. I will just keep this as an option only if the kids insist on a drive through the Mudumalai WLS. I suppose the road condition is fine, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
How about taking the Palakkad-Pattambi-Perumbilavu-Kunnamkulam route instead of the Palghat-Trichur portion of NH47 ? The road is excellent till Pattambi, and from Perumbilavu to Guruvayur (Both stretches are better than NH47) and the distance is almost the same - actually a couple of kms shorter as per GM. Any idea how's the condition of the Pattambi-Perumbilavu section ?
Kala, that is the route I intend to take as part of the NH7-NH47 option to Guruvayoor - instead of taking PLKD-Trichur.
Old 23rd November 2011, 08:58   #2958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Any idea how's the condition of the Pattambi-Perumbilavu section ?
Pattambi perumpilavu is also fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Thanks Ranjit for coming to my help once again! The route I had taken on this stretch 2 years back was B'lore-Mysore-Gundulpet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Perimpilavu -Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor. I agree with you absolutely about the local traffic - it added a lot of stress at the end of an otherwise enjoyable drive. I will just keep this as an option only if the kids insist on a drive through the Mudumalai WLS. I suppose the road condition is fine, right?

Kala, that is the route I intend to take as part of the NH7-NH47 option to Guruvayoor - instead of taking PLKD-Trichur.
Vazhikadavu to nilambur is ok.from there to perinthalmana via wandoor is ok to bad to worse at some sections due to innumerable culverts being constructed.perithalmana pattambi is dense traffic and the 1st few kms are broken.overall i would still reccomend the nh7 route.if you do want to enjoy the wls drive then why not do it on your return?an early morning drive is less stressful as traffic would be negligible on this route.
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:43   #2959
BHPian

Quote:
Entry to Bandipur is restricted at night,with a 330 departure from Bangalore,I dont think it is a good idea to take the Mysore route.Stick to the NH7-NH47 combo and go via Salem-Palakkad.From Palakkad,I would suggest that you take the Palakkad-Ottapalam-Kulappully-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur route.The entire drive shouldnt take more than 10hours.
Thanks Ranjit, maybe the route is worth trying on the reverse.
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:38   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Pattambi perumpilavu is also fine.

Vazhikadavu to nilambur is ok.from there to perinthalmana via wandoor is ok to bad to worse at some sections due to innumerable culverts being constructed.perithalmana pattambi is dense traffic and the 1st few kms are broken.overall i would still reccomend the nh7 route.if you do want to enjoy the wls drive then why not do it on your return?an early morning drive is less stressful as traffic would be negligible on this route.
I will take your advice and stick with the NH7-NH47 route. Return is going to be from Ernakulam on 6th so it's going to be the same NH7-NH47 route again. Personally I don't mind this as there are numerous options for refreshment.
Old 25th November 2011, 03:58   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Though I have seen the suggestion for 12hrs ban in News Paper, has it become effective already?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, that is what I heard, time restriction is from 6 pm - 6 am now.
I remember reading in the newspaper article which proposed this change that the date from which it will be effective will be notified later after discussions with various agencies, but don't recall seeing a second notification, at least in the newspaper that I subscribe to.

In any case can confirm it this weekend. I'll be passing through that route on Saturday morning, so will enquire at the checkpost and post an update here.
Old 25th November 2011, 06:56   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe
I'd need advice on reaching Kottayam from Thrissur. The route I've always taken is Thrissur - Angamali - Muvattupuzha - Ettumanoor - Kottayam.

Is the so called "Sea port - Airport" route supposed to be better?
I suggest to take Angamaly-Aluva-Vittila-Cherthalla-Kumarakom-Ktm.
This is probably the faster route now though the distance could be 4-5 km extra.

You will get 4 line road for 2/3rd distance from Agmly till Cherthalla. Then Cherthalla-Ktm road is at its best now though narrow. There was only some 2 km bad road around Chrtla.

There is enough sign board on NH47 to the deviation to Chrtla.
Avg speed will be slow on Seaport road in my experience.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:26   #2963
BHPian

I had driven through Chertala Kumarakom Kottayam stretch in Oct 2011, road repair work was going on.

From Angamaly, I can vouch for the road muvattupuzha thodupuzha Pala kottayam. It might be about 12 kms extra, but roads are great.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:28   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
I had driven through Chertala Kumarakom Kottayam stretch in Oct 2011, road repair work was going on.

From Angamaly, I can vouch for the road muvattupuzha thodupuzha Pala kottayam. It might be about 12 kms extra, but roads are great.
I have taken this road Oct last week, may be repair works are done by then.

I only took sightly less than 2 hours from KTM to Angamaly, I usually take more than 2 hours through muvattupuzha road due to curvy roads.
Old 25th November 2011, 16:40   #2965
BHPian

T-Bhpians,

Not quite sure whether this is the right thread to post this.

Pls be aware that the Kerala Police is in the process of installing Speed Cameras on the National Highways in Kerala.

I happened to see a day's photographs of speed limit violations from the Vayalar Jn camera on my relative's laptop since he - my cousin's husband is in charge of installing the same in 3 districts - Thrissur, Ernakulam & Alapuzha.

The speed limit set is 85kmph. The cameras are installed at all main traffic signals & open stretches were there is a higher possibility of vehicles speeding. The pics of the vehicle number plates taken even in the night are clear enough to make out the Reg No. The fine for a violation is Rs.300/- and the challan will be mailed by the RTO to the address as per the Vehicle Regn info.

Now the good news is that Non KL vehicles are exempted from the challans for violations detected by the speed cameras since it would be difficult for the Kerala Police to send them to the respective RTO's for further action. But vehicles which are caught Red handed by the Cops with the Speed Radars would have to pay the fine.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 25th November 2011 at 16:42.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 16:44   #2966
BHPian

Well this must be the biggest joke ever since I don't think the roads in the vicinity of Walayar need to worry about speeding unless you're driving a Hummer. Or a Bulldozer. Or a Bus. You get my drift.

Installing them on the Salem stretch would be a whole different story though. THAT would make me sad.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:09   #2967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post

Pls be aware that the Kerala Police is in the process of installing Speed Cameras on the National Highways in Kerala.
Time we started compiling a directory of speed gun locations!
Old 25th November 2011, 17:19   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Time we started compiling a directory of speed gun locations!
Yup

I can surely get the info about the location for Thrissur, Ernakulam & Alapuzha from him.

In fact Keltron has been awarded the contract and they are sourcing cameras from a foreign vendor
Old 25th November 2011, 17:31   #2969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Yup

I can surely get the info about the location for Thrissur, Ernakulam & Alapuzha from him.

In fact Keltron has been awarded the contract and they are sourcing cameras from a foreign vendor
Ideally, plot the exact (or approximate) location on Google Maps, so that you can download it into navigation software too.
Old 25th November 2011, 17:36   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Ideally, plot the exact (or approximate) location on Google Maps, so that you can download it into navigation software too.
HVK, Sure will get that info as soon as he returns from a foreign trip in 2 weeks time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks