Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2023, 09:33   #1201
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghavan View Post

The long and short of it is, we are going to do Route 2, and I may just need all your best wishes !!
Been researching Route (2) on Google maps. Essentially the route is

BLR - Maddur - Malavalli - Chamarajanagara - Dhimbam - Bannari - Coimbatore

However, there can be a small variation in the section Malavalli - Chamarajnagar:

1. Takes a right at Malavalli
Malavalli - T Narasipura - Chamarajanagara
(Crosses Kabini and Kaveri)

2. Goes straight at Malavalli
Malavalli - Kollegala - Chamarajanagara
(Crosses Kaveri and passes close to Shivanasamudra falls)

Any advise on the two options?

For option 2, there seems to be an alternative route to Malavalli - instead of the usual Mysore Highway, this route uses NICE Road and passes through Harohalli and Kanakapura. Any advise on the use of this alternative>

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Planning to travel 2.June early morning.

Last edited by sraghavan : 1st June 2023 at 09:51. Reason: Want to add a line
Old 1st June 2023, 10:32   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Both options are fine sraghavan. I usually prefer 1, via T Narasipuram, purely because of the abundance of green agriculture beauties in both sides of the road. Also, for 2, you’ll see lots of Bangalore traffic getting to Shivanasanudra, and you avoid that in route 1. Roads are good in both options. There isn’t too much of a time or distance difference either. Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_0793.jpeg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_0796.jpeg

Some clicks on the TNarsipur stretch. You’ll see how beautiful it could be driving through.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:56   #1203
BHPian

Finally the journey is done, and true to expectations, was refreshing, and memorable in more ways than one. We left at 8am after breakfast at the neighborhood darshini style cafeteria and decided to take the Mysore Highway instead of Kanakapura route to make up for lost time (had planned to leave 30 mins earlier). The highway was less crowded, but I missed the Maddur exit to Malavalli because Google maps can't clearly makeout whether you're on the new or old highway. So the exit was actually below me when Google asked me to take it. Not much loss of time before we were on the route again. Took a long stop at Satyakala temple where the annual brahmotsavam was in progress before passing through Kollegal and Chamarajanagar. Unfortunately failed to locate a good restauran at both places, so had to make do with eats and fruits we were carrying, supplemented by tender coconut and sugarcane juice along the way. It was past 5.30pm when we entered Satyamangalam forest reserve after negotiating the 27 hairpin bends of Dhimbam ghats. We bought a huge jackfruit from a vendor along the route and were cruising along comfortably when a crazy car driver came straight at us after overtaking a bus. I had to swerve quickly to the side and in the process went off the road over a rocky area on the hard shoulder. And then the unthinkable happened.

We bumped over a rough rock and there was a muffled bang, and my TPMS warning came on. I immediately realised my front left tyre was going flat and managed to park on the hard shoulder. With the light fading quickly (it does seem to get dark earlier inside the forest), the realisation dawned on me that with absolutely no prior experience, I had to deal with the prospect of changing a flat tyre in fading light on a forest road.

But miracles do happen, at least I believe in them now! Just as I was inspecting the tyre and pondering over my next move, a blue coloured Jeep came from the intersecting road and paused at the intersection before turning into the main road. I read the word FOREST written on the side, and quickly ran to the jeep, gesticulating them to stop. I told the people inside that I had a flat tire and have no experience changing one, and would they please help me. It was the forest range officer inside with 5 of his men, who got out and came over to my car to check the flat tyre. Then they quickly got to work, and as I watched, they removed the damaged tyre and replaced it with the spare one under the boot. I thanked them profusely for their help, but no words could have adequately conveyed our gratitude to those men at that time.

Today I got the damaged tyre checked and it looks like the air is leaking on the side right under the rim. Since it is the second puncture in one week (last week a 3 inch nail pierced the tyre on the top left side), can I use the tyre with a tube? Or should I simply change to a new one. The problem if I change to a new tyre is the remaining tyres have run approx 7k kms, and so there is possibility of an imbalanced wearout. Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
sraghavan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:58   #1204
BHPian

Please change the tyre. When you rotate tyres, all will be well. You need 5 good tyres on your car at all times
Cheers
rajeevsulu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 15:34   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghavan View Post
Today I got the damaged tyre checked and it looks like the air is leaking on the side right under the rim. Since it is the second puncture in one week (last week a 3 inch nail pierced the tyre on the top left side), can I use the tyre with a tube? Or should I simply change to a new one. The problem if I change to a new tyre is the remaining tyres have run approx 7k kms, and so there is possibility of an imbalanced wearout. Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
Please don’t be penny wise and skimp on this. Have all your tyres checked thoroughly by a competent tyre balancing and alignment place and change whichever tyres are worn down.
Tyres are your first line of defence because they are in direct contact with the ground on which you are driving and they need to be in top shape to ensure your safety and comfort.
shankar.balan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 12:58   #1206
BHPian

Took this route to Coimbatore. Up and Down.

Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamrajnagar-Dhimbam-Sathy-Coimbatore.
Distance -340 km. 30 kms lesser than Salem route. 20 kms more than kollegal route.

6.5 hrs both ways. Only expressway and nanjangud toll.

Good roads all the way.

City traffic after Annur. Instead of Malavalli, kollegal can cover more distance on expressway.
speedkrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 15:04   #1207

Hi, we had travelled from Kochi to Kollegal via Sathy - Germalam route and this thread was of immense help to decide on the route. Thanks a ton. Let me add my two cents.
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230628_11591801.jpeg

Coimbatore - Sathy - Chamarajanagar, which is the route most used in this stretch, is indeed very nice with good tarmac and signage. Though two lane, the drive is smooth unless for unexpected traffic blocks. We chose this route mostly for all trips to mysore, coorg and even mangalore, just to avoid the congested roads of northern kerala.

Dhimbam ghat section is safe to drive as long as you don't loose momentum on the hairpin. Simply use 1st gear where ever needed, especially on left turn bends. At your right turn bends, watch out for buses and trucks using the wrong side to take the bend, due to the length of the vehicle. You have to be quick to move to the right lane for giving way for the big vehicles at hairpins.

There is a garden restaurant on the left side, just before you reach Chamarajanagar from Sathy. This is a good place to stopover for lunch. Neat washrooms, beautiful green lawn and lots of shade for parking.

That said about the regular route, we decided to try out the lesser used Germalam forest route to Kollegal. After Dhimbam, at the 'Kollegal-Mysore pirivu, Once you take the right diversion through Talamalai RF, it's dense forest for about 25 kms with one or two small hamlets inside the forest. Roads are narrow but ok to drive as there is very less traffic.
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230628_13001001.jpeg
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230628_13105801.jpeg

After you cross the Karnataka checkpost, soon you start seeing unending expanse of farm lands on the hillside. The approaching town, Odeyarpalaya has a fuel station, a tyre repair shop and a market with a bustling local crowd. Take a two kilometre detour to the left at Odeyarpalaya, to visit the Dhondenling Tibetan settlement. In fact you can drive through Tibetan settlement and re join the Germalam - Kollegal road about 4 kms ahead of Odeyarpalaya.
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230629_12472802.jpeg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230629_12505601.jpeg
3 kms extra through the settlement, but it would be worth the drive. There are few monasteries and beautiful stupas enroute and also a Tibetan restaurant called Green Tara.
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230628_20031601.jpeg

If you would like to do a lil shopping there is a store run by the Tibetan society.
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230701_19021401.jpeg

After Odeyarapalaya the last stretch of the road just before Kollegal is terrible with unavoidable potholes. To avoid this, take a right at Lokanhalli upto Hanur to turn left onto Mettur - Hanur - Kollegal road which is smooth. Drive distance is almost same but will save a lot of bumpy ride.

Hope this comes in handy for some one like me choosing to drive this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-12g_498501.jpeg  

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-12g_497701.jpeg  

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230630_18212801.jpeg  

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_20230629_09164602.jpeg  

12ghp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 21:11   #1208
BHPian

Folks,

Having driven multiple times on the Bangalore-Salem-Cbe route and back in the recent times wanted to look for an alternate route due to sheer boredom and increasing incidents of construction related kms-long pile ups during last few weeks.

Bangalore-Chamarajnagar-Dhimbam-Cbe looks interesting. Few quick checks:
1. I see from various posts that the road conditions are good. Is this stretch safe for a 4pm start from north Bangalore?
2. Are there wild life sightings on this route considering that a decent stretch of the route is via reserve forests? Anything to be concerned about, especially wild elephants?
3. Are there any night travel bans on.this route?

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Regards
Rex
Old 21st August 2023, 21:37   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Rex
1. 4pm start would mean you’ll hit CR Nagar and into Dhimbam ghat by 7.45/8 pm. The hairpins aren’t easy and if there are trucks that are stuck, it’s a misery
2. I’ve been lucky sighting elephants in this stretch many time. The route is very scenic indeed
3. No bans as such
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:41   #1210
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Having driven multiple times on the Bangalore-Salem-Cbe route and back in the recent times wanted to look for an alternate route due to sheer boredom and increasing incidents of construction related kms-long pile ups during last few weeks.

Bangalore-Chamarajnagar-Dhimbam-Cbe looks interesting. Few quick checks:
Bangalore-Chamarajanagar can be done via Kanakapura-Malavalli or Maddur-Malavalli, but I would avoid a night drive on Dhimbam ghat due to the truck traffic, hairpins and just in case there's a flat tyre or other car issue.
I would suggest you try this as a day time drive from Bangalore.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 12:48   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Rex
1. 4pm start would mean you’ll hit CR Nagar and into Dhimbam ghat by 7.45/8 pm. The hairpins aren’t easy and if there are trucks that are stuck, it’s a misery
2. I’ve been lucky sighting elephants in this stretch many time. The route is very scenic indeed
3. No bans as such
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Chamarajanagar can be done via Kanakapura-Malavalli or Maddur-Malavalli, but I would avoid a night drive on Dhimbam ghat due to the truck traffic, hairpins and just in case there's a flat tyre or other car issue.
Thanks jkrishnak and NPV for your valuable inputs. I will consider them and plan for a day drive through this route.

The wild animals you may come across are no risk to vehicles/travelers, I suppose.

Regard
Rex
Old 22nd August 2023, 13:04   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Day time will be perfect. And you can also explore the road via Germalem and crossing the Dhondeling monastry. Route is even prettier. This way, you’ll bypass Hasanur and CR Nagar also.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 16:53   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you try this as a day time drive from Bangalore.
Dhimbam ghats is closed between 9 PM and 6 AM for light vehicles and 6 PM to 6 AM for heavy vehicles isn't it?
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:22   #1214
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Dhimbam ghats is closed between 9 PM and 6 AM for light vehicles and 6 PM to 6 AM for heavy vehicles isn't it?
Not that I'm aware of (and I could be wrong), I think that's only for Bandipur and Muthanga forest gates.
Old 23rd August 2023, 07:14   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of (and I could be wrong), I think that's only for Bandipur and Muthanga forest gates.
The Dhimbam ghat section within the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve (between KA / TN border and Bannari Checkpost) is closed between 9 PM to 6 AM for all vehicles. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...7.cms?from=mdr.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks