Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 20:57   #1126
BANNED

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

I travelled on thoppur ghats twice in the past few days :
Friday morning - descent towards salem
Sunday noon - ascent towards dharmapuri

On both occasions, was delayed for atleast 45mins or so, huge tailbacks, and on both occasions loaded trucks were lying perpendicular blocking the entire road in the descending direction, awaiting cranes for removal. I re-confirmed that it was not the same truck on the second occasion, it was a different one. Terrible, terrible for the long-weekend traffic, exactly during the times when traffic density is highest.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:12   #1127

Hi all. Planning a two wheeler drive from BLR to CBE, via Hogenakkal-Mettur stretch. Any advice/suggestions regarding road quality, views, must see places to visit on the way, alternate routes would be helpful. Thanks and cheers!
Old 16th May 2022, 18:26   #1128
BHPian

Bangalore - Coimbatore - Mangalore

Hi All,

We plan to make a trip from Bangalore to Coimbatore, stay in Isha Foundation/ nearby for a day or two to explore the place, and then head to Mangalore for a month. (For the Monsoon)

Few questions that I had and would be glad to get suggestions.

1. Are there any recommended places for the stay apart from Isha Foundation in Coimbatore? We are OK to stretch the journey to Palakkad too.

2. How are the road conditions from Coimbatore to Mangalore?

I have been to Mangalore via the normal routes (Hassan, Mysore-Coorg) far too many times. Hence planning to do this BIG detour. (I am from Mangalore)

We are taking our Nexon, a bit of bad roads is OK.

Thanks All in advance!
Old 24th May 2022, 15:10   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
Anyone has recently done Bangalore - Coimbatore via

1) Kollegal, Chamrajnagar, Hasanur, Dhimbham
2) Kollegal, Dhonderling, Germalam, Dhimbham

Looking for updates on road conditions.
Did Route 2) recently to Coimbatore from Bangalore. Its an amazing route with temples, wildlife, monastery enroute.

Places of interest

1) Shivasamudra water falls
2) Madhya Rangam temple on banks of Cauvery
3) Dhondenling Monastery
4) Hasanur RF
5) Bannari Temple

Route Conditions

1) Bangalore to Kanakpura - Decent with diversions for road widening
2) Kanakpura to Kollegal - Decent
3) Kollegal to Oderyarpalaya - Average but driveable [ Partly broken roads, 10 kms unpaved ]
4) Odeyarpalaya to Hasanur - Good roads. Drive through forests. Elephant movement close to Hasanur
5) Hasanur, Dhimbam, Sathy - NH Ghat road
6) Sathy, Coimbatore - NH 2 lane.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3890.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3899.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3907.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3909.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3935.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3917.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3940.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dscn3941.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 17th August 2022 at 02:01. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
speedkrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 08:00   #1130

Hi,
Has anyone recently traveled Mysore-MM Hiils- Mettur sector? How is the road condition? Thanks
Sat
Old 30th May 2022, 09:58   #1131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sateeshg View Post
Hi,
Has anyone recently traveled Mysore-MM Hiils- Mettur sector? How is the road condition? Thanks
Sat
Here you go:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5317795 (Mettur to Kollegal via MMHills)
Old 30th May 2022, 18:30   #1132
BHPian

Guys have a query.

I was traveling from Cochin to Bangalore.

Check the below FASTag deduction can any says why it says “Paid to Vaigunt” and “Paid to Vij”.

I am sure deductions are ok, but this seemed a bit strange.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-404a4db2b3b14d0f814ac44dee08d27e.jpeg

Anyone else seen this?

Last edited by aah78 : 17th August 2022 at 02:02. Reason: Typos.
Old 30th May 2022, 19:14   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
I was traveling from Cochin to Bangalore.
I am not sure of the official names of the companies that run these toll booths but it is Vaiguntham Toll Plaza and Vijayamangalam Toll Plaza. Probably setup that way due to space restrictions in the app you are using.

The deductions are correct. I'm a regular on this route.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th August 2022 at 02:01. Reason: Quote trimmed.
green_ninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 19:56   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_ninja View Post
I am not sure of the official names of the companies that run these toll booths but it is Vaiguntham Toll Plaza and Vijayamangalam Toll Plaza. Probably setup that way due to space restrictions in the app you are using.

The deductions are correct. I'm a regular on this route.
Thanks Green_ninja.

Dont think it is space restriction since it shows longer names below also. Using paytm by the way.
Old 13th August 2022, 17:27   #1135

Drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore

Dear Friends

I plan to drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore for 2 nights and visit the Adiyogi statue, stay within the premises and drive back. should the accomodation be not available at the Isha foundation then will have to stay in the Coimbatore city. Need suggestions and inputs on the following
  1. Drive to and fro Bangalore to Coimbatore
  2. Road conditions
  3. Suggested hotels in city which are near Isha.
Old 17th August 2022, 01:33   #1136
abg

Re: Drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krajeswarrao View Post
I plan to drive from Bangalore to Coimbatore for 2 nights and visit the Adiyogi statue, stay within the premises and drive back. should the accomodation be not available at the Isha foundation then will have to stay in the Coimbatore city. Need suggestions and inputs on the following.
I did Bengaluru - Coimbatore and return a couple of times over last two weeks. Depending upon whether you are traveling with family or not, there are multiple good options to choose from.

1. Bengaluru - Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimbatore - longer route, great dining, and loo break options throughout. May or may not be the fastest route, depending upon the truck traffic. Best choice if traveling with family, especially kids. Excellent road conditions with lot of truck movement all the way.

2. Bengaluru - Mysuru road - Maddur - Malavalli – Tirumakudalu Narsapura - Chamaraja Nagar - Dhimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore. This route is in good to excellent condition, despite work in progress in various stretches till Maddur and rough patches after Malavalli. Travel time will be same as option one. At times, there could be congestions till Bidadi.

3. Bengaluru - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamaraja Nagar - Dhimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore. Slightly shorter than option two, depending upon from where the start of the journey is. There are narrow stretches till Kanakapura because of the road work in progress, and this will slow down the drive. Kollegal – Chamaraja Nagar route passes through few very narrow villages and town sections but should not be a great concern. Other sections are in great condition.

4. Bengaluru - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Dhondenling - Germalam - Dhimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore - Shorter than 1,2 & 3. Good surface conditions. The section through Germalam is very narrow and may have heavy elephant activity. Even though there are no options for even a coffee, this route can fascinate one, it is so scenic and beautiful. Major concern is it would not be possible to get any help from anybody in case of a breakdown or other contingencies.

For options 2,3 & 4, it is possible to bypass most of the towns after Dhimbam till Annur, by choosing Bannari - Bhavani Sagar Dam - Othimalai Road - Annur route. Roads are in excellent condition and no traffic at all. This is now the preferred route for me. With one break, I could complete Coimbatore – Bengaluru in 5 Hrs 15 Minutes with normal driving, with an early start.

Unfortunately, I am not able comment on the stay options near Isha.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th August 2022 at 02:02. Reason: Quote trimmed.
abg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 07:44   #1137
BHPian

I do trips to coimbatore from bangalore regularly. If you have never driven this route, my suggestion is to take the NH route

BLR-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Salem-Bhavani(bypass)-Perundurai (bypass) - Avinashi (bypass) - CBE.

Distance will be between 350-400 kms depending on where you start and where you end up.

If you are going on normal days, toll booth queues are not bad (worst is attibele and next worst in krishnagiri). Traffic in stretches can be bad but you easily maintain 80-100 kmph in most stretches. Fully divided minimum 4 lane highway throughout.

The only other option I would suggest for non regular users if divert from thoppur via mecheri-mettur-bhavani. This stretch is undivided 2 lane and lot of 2 wheeler traffic but road conditions are good. you can also avoid 2 tolls using this route.

There are many other routes but they will all take longer.

If you are going on long weekend or holiday season, then consider other routes as crossing attibele toll is an absolute pain as I found out on saturday morning. It took 30 minutes to cross that toll and having to fight with idiots who insist on cutting lanes at every opportunity.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 07:46   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krajeswarrao View Post
Dear Friends
  1. Suggested hotels in city which are near Isha.
There are no good hotels near isha as far as I am aware. My suggestion would be stay in a good hotel in the RS puram/Gandhipark area. It will take around 45 minutes to get to isha from center of city. Look to see if there are any decent hotels near perur area but I am not aware of any.
Old 17th August 2022, 11:27   #1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg View Post
I did Bengaluru - Coimbatore and return a couple of times over last two weeks. Depending upon whether you are traveling with family or not, there are multiple good options to choose from.

1. Bengaluru - Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimbatore - longer route, great dining, and loo break options throughout. May or may not be the fastest route, depending upon the truck traffic. Best choice if traveling with family, especially kids. Excellent road conditions with lot of truck movement all the way.

2. Bengaluru - Mysuru road - Maddur - Malavalli – Tirumakudalu Narsapura - Chamaraja Nagar - Dhimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore. This route is in good to excellent condition, despite work in progress in various stretches till Maddur and rough patches after Malavalli. Travel time will be same as option one. At times, there could be congestions till Bidadi.

3. Bengaluru - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamaraja Nagar - Dhimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore. Slightly shorter than option two, depending upon from where the start of the journey is. There are narrow stretches till Kanakapura because of the road work in progress, and this will slow down the drive. Kollegal – Chamaraja Nagar route passes through few very narrow villages and town sections but should not be a great concern. Other sections are in great condition.

4. Bengaluru - Kanakapura - Kollegal - Dhondenling - Germalam - Dhimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore - Shorter than 1,2 & 3. Good surface conditions. The section through Germalam is very narrow and may have heavy elephant activity. Even though there are no options for even a coffee, this route can fascinate one, it is so scenic and beautiful. Major concern is it would not be possible to get any help from anybody in case of a breakdown or other contingencies.

For options 2,3 & 4, it is possible to bypass most of the towns after Dhimbam till Annur, by choosing Bannari - Bhavani Sagar Dam - Othimalai Road - Annur route. Roads are in excellent condition and no traffic at all. This is now the preferred route for me. With one break, I could complete Coimbatore – Bengaluru in 5 Hrs 15 Minutes with normal driving, with an early start.

By far the best , most comprehensive and absolutely fantastic set of inputs. Looks like I will take the option1. Thanjks you very much !!
Old 25th August 2022, 14:38   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg View Post

Route 4 is amazing. There is elephant activity near Hasanur. There was about 10km of unpaved roads Kollegal - Dhondenling in May this year. Is that complete ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks