Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 10:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

thanks @akroy.but any rough idea how many kilometers?
Old 31st October 2008, 10:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Exact distance i cannot tell now but it is less than the Salem route.
Should be around 320 - 350km depending upon which part of CBE & Bangalore.

Abhi
Old 31st October 2008, 12:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which route from coimbatore to bangalore shortest in distance or fastest to reach.interested in covering the route with my bullet with pillion.please suggest.
Fastest to reach would be the route akroy suggested. However the road work from Dharmapuri to Krishnagiri is almost complete.

so you could do Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Attibele - Bangalore. This is longer by around 20 kms but safer now considering that it would be a 4 lane throughout as compared to the Palakode route. Palakode route is a winding 2 lane road and though it could be a driving delight it is more dangerous for 2 wheelers in my opinion.

Coimbatore - Sathy road is also beautiful winding road but watch out for the sharp turns and high speed buses there.

If you like a more pleasant and less traffic route I would suggest

Coimbatore - Annur - Pulliyampatti (take right here) Nambiyur - Gobi (take left in Gobi) - Athani - Andiyur - Ammapet - Mettur - Thoppur and onwards. This is slightly longer but there is virtually no traffic. State roads in excellent conditions, most of the private buses from Coimbatore and KSRTC also use this route at times.
Old 13th November 2008, 19:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
bangalore - hosur 40 km (45m - 1.5 hour after silk board)
Hosur - Krishnagir 60 km (1 hour)
Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri 50 - 5km (1 to 1.5 hours - road not complete)
Dharmapuri - thoppur 18 km (30 minutes)
thoppur - mettur 40 km (45m to 1 h)
mettur - ammapettai 20 km (20 m)
Ammapettai - anthiyur 30 km(approx) ( has not travelled)

bangaloe - mettur - 200 ~ 210 kms
Old 13th November 2008, 19:47   #65
BHPian

i usually takes this route until mettur in motor bike at least 5-6 times in a year which i love most. one time did mettur to hosur in < 3.5 hours
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:31   #66
BHPian

Restaurants in this route

Hi,
Are there any proper restaurants/hotels with clean toilet facilities in this route after thoppur?
I am planning to leave Bangalore around 5AM so looking a good breakfast place around Mettur.

regards
m800
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Hi,
Are there any proper restaurants/hotels with clean toilet facilities in this route after thoppur?
I am planning to leave Bangalore around 5AM so looking a good breakfast place around Mettur.

regards
m800
Mettur has a very good bakery just opposite to the Steel Plant (I think at the end of it). Otherwise some eating joints are also there. Cannot comment on clean toilets. Toilets are never a problem for gents I guess !!

Also there is Saravana Bhavan once you enter Bhavani on your left.

Since you are starting at 5AM, you will be in Dharmapuri by 7AM. So you can plan to have an early breakfast too.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 22nd January 2009 at 15:46.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:15   #68
BHPian

M8002:
Near Dharmapuri, on the highway, there is a BP operated petrol bunk. This will be on your right when you go from Blr. Its huge, new and really neat. It also houses Adyar Ananda Bhavan (A2B) veg restaurant. A good place to take a break.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:23   #69
BHPian

timing

thanks akroy and madrush.

I will be with wife and kid. So toilets become a problem.

Dharmapuri might be too early is what i feel. I usually keep driving uninterrupted till my son wakes up from his sleep. So my guess is Mettur would be an ideal place to break around 8.

I am planning to take the sathy route..so bhavani is out of the probables.

regards
m800
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
thanks akroy and madrush.

I will be with wife and kid. So toilets become a problem.

Dharmapuri might be too early is what i feel. I usually keep driving uninterrupted till my son wakes up from his sleep. So my guess is Mettur would be an ideal place to break around 8.

I am planning to take the sathy route..so bhavani is out of the probables.

regards
m800
Since you are with family. Suggest you to carry some food/snacks like sandwitches and chips. Then you need not have to break anywhere. Probably you can break in any place enroute, have a coffee and the toilet breaks.

Coimbatore is too short a distance to worry on toilet breaks. In case of emergency the route is full of trees and villages, it will not be problem for your wife as well.

Abhi
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

There is a bakery at the Ammapettai turnoff as well. There are some ok hotels in Mettur. But I don't know about the conditions of the loos in them.

I usually park my car near some farm and my wife usually walks upto the house and asks them if she can use the toilet. I've never seen anyone say no till date. Most of them offer coffee/tea/snacks as well which we politely refuse.
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:52   #72
BHPian

I plan to drive down to Palakkad next week. This time I plan to go Bangalore - Hosur-Dharmapuri- Thoppur Mettur- Ammappettai - Andiyur - Athani - Sathy - Annur - KArumathampatti - LT byepass - Walayar - Palakkad . I am not sure about the road condition from Annur to Karumathampatti and how long is the distance from Annur to Karumathampati. Also, any route suggestion is welcome
Old 27th January 2009, 17:19   #73
BHPian

Update

Hi,
thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We had a great drive to coimbatore and back.

Started at 5:00 am...crossed the dharmapuri A2B at 7:15..it was too early for breakfast...stopped for breakfast at Sathy at 8:45. started again at 9:15 and reached destination at around 11.

On return..started at 6:00 am, stopped for breakfast at A2B dharmapuri at around 8:45..the continued at 9:15 and reached HSR Layout at 11:30. All in all a very comfortable drive.

Would highly recommend the Mettur-Sathy route for anyone to visit coimbatore. The Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapetai stretch is starting to get some rough patches ( thankfully no potholes ). Hope its fixed soon.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

that was quick... Thoppur to Sathy in like 90 minutes sounds great !! It usually takes 45 minutes to mettur itself. I guess early morning drive is better to get to places.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:50   #75
BHPian

to reach Annur , is it easier to take Andiyur - Athani - Gobi - Nambiyur - annur or is it easier to take Athani - Sathy - Puliyampatti - Annur road?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks