Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2013, 09:11   #646
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
That news link talks about this spot: http://goo.gl/maps/gnPqV
Oops! Thanks for clarifying this. Having taken the Mysore-Calicut route several times I can't seem to recollect where the narrow bridge over the river was , definitely not as narrow as the other one on NH209!
Old 7th December 2013, 20:21   #647
BHPian

Did Bangalore to Mettupalyam on Thursday and back yesterday via NH 209 (which is in superb condition with some repairs and relayering seemingly done) via Dhimbham-Bhavanisagar-Sirumugai-Mettupalyam. Was travelling in a convoy of 2 vehicles and could manage to leave Bangalore (NICE rd to Kanakpura exit) only around 6 PM

The drive at night was thrilling especially in the Dhimbham ghats with the 27 hairpins, which we entered at around 1030 PM. Unfortunately my friends Liva's front bumper was scraped on the RHS bumper at one of the bends by an oil tanker. We managed to see a couple of wild boars and the odd deer

The roads in the TN side was simply superb. Watch your speed on the NH 209 stretch between Sivanasamudram and Cauvery fishing camp (on the way back to Bangalore) as a speed gun mounted vehicle lies in wait
Old 7th December 2013, 20:54   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
The drive at night was thrilling especially in the Dhimbham ghats with the 27 hairpins, which we entered at around 1030 PM.
The thing to watch here is, when overloaded taurus trucks(double axle rear) struggle to climb the hair pin bends, the cleaner uses large stones to prevent the trucks from rolling back as they inch forward.

Sometimes they leave the stones then and there, so at night, one has to be careful at the bends.
Old 7th December 2013, 20:55   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Watch your speed on the NH 209 stretch between Sivanasamudram and Cauvery fishing camp (on the way back to Bangalore) as a speed gun mounted vehicle lies in wait
Never saw an interceptor during my trips, thanks for the info.
What is the max speed allowed on NH 209?
Old 7th December 2013, 21:01   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Not sure but the default is 80 I would imagine. Thankfully I think I was down to 60 odd as I had a couple of cars in front of me
Old 7th December 2013, 22:05   #651
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Quote:
Not sure but the default is 80 I would imagine. Thankfully I think I was down to 60 odd as I had a couple of cars in front of me
Guys, Am I missing something? The Fishing camp I thought is off the 209 right? So where is the interceptor located?
Old 7th December 2013, 22:21   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys, Am I missing something? The Fishing camp I thought is off the 209 right? So where is the interceptor located?
By fishing camp I meant the point on 209 where you turn off for the camp. Sorry I cannot recall the exact point but I remember I had crossed the board announcing Sivasamudram/Bharachukki etc and then I saw the interceptor after a while and then after some time saw the Cauvery fishing camp board
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:13   #653

Request to Gajadonga
Please share Hyderabad to coimbatore trip route (full route) and conditions. I am planning a Feb trip to OOTY from hyderabad
Old 22nd January 2014, 23:11   #654
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tindrums View Post
Please share Hyderabad to coimbatore trip route (full route) and conditions. I am planning a Feb trip to OOTY from hyderabad
If you don't plan on staying/other visits at Coimbatore, you can also do Hyderabad-Bangalore-Mysore-Ooty.
Old 23rd January 2014, 05:54   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request to Gajadonga Please share Hyderabad to coimbatore trip route (full route) and conditions. I am planning a Feb trip to OOTY from hyderabad
just like nPV said,if You dont have any reason to be in CBE then you should ideally be taking the hyd blore mysore ooty route.hyd mysore can easily be done in a day in approx 12hours of drive.mysore ooty budget for another 4-5hrs drive time.roads good all throughout.coimbatore route would be a roubd about route.
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:36   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request to Gajadonga
Sorry I saw your post late.

Hyderabad-Devanahalli is four laned no issues at all. The average running time between 5-7 hrs depending on your driving time and stops in between.

Devanahalli Hoskote-Chikkatirupati-Bagalur-Hosur Good routes through out.

From Hoskote-Chikkatirupati-Bagalur have to ask for directions towards the places I have mentioned as there are many road intersections and the signs boards are not at the junctions but after them.
It may take 1.15-2 hrs for this stretch.

Avoid Baglur- Berigai-Shoolagiri roads are bad. I tried travelling in this route last week.

Hosur - Salem- Coimbatore is fourlaned some work is still pending between Avanashi and Coimbatore but not an issue. It might take 4.5- 6hrs for this stretch.

Usually I do a single stop at Shoolagiri macdonalds and cover the stretch in 11-12hrs.
Hope this helps

Last edited by gajadonga : 23rd January 2014 at 18:52.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 19:29   #657
BHPian

Hi,

Have a Coimbatore trip next week with family. Plan is to start from Bangalore by 6:00pm on Friday. Return plan is to start at 3:00pm from Coimbatore.

Please suggest the best route.

Cheers

Vindy
Old 27th January 2014, 19:42   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Have a Coimbatore trip next week with family. Plan is to start from Bangalore by 6:00pm on Friday. Return plan is to start at 3:00pm from Coimbatore.

Cheers

Vindy
Since you are planning with family and that too starting at dusk, better stick to standard 4L route Bangalore-Hosur-Dharmapuri-Salem-Perundurai-Avinashi-Coimbatore. Be prepared for Hosur mad traffic mess due to your timings of exit from Bangalore.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 20:34   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers

Vindy
Which part of Coimbatore are you planning to travel to? If this is North Coimbatore, take right opposite Kovai airport or else may go straight down avinashi road. And beware of great Volvo buses on Krishnagiri-Coimbatore stretch as their minimum speed during night is around 120km per hour.
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 22:50   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers

Vindy

Like all the others advised this is a No brainer-stick to the NH7-NH47 combo.Budget for 6hrs drive.Plenty of wayside facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks