Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 12:38   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should try NH209/Kanapura-Nice-Doddaballapur.
Not sure you might even have tried! If yes, did you see any time improvements?

I was travelling back from Coimbatore I traveled upto Annur and then turned towards Avinashi and was tempted to take the Dimbam-Kanakpura route but was
not sure of the road conditions between Neelmangala - Dodaballapur as the
conventinal route from Nice road Hebbal-Devanahalli was bad due to Metro work
and did not want to lose time.
I thought I should have tried Kanakpura route as right from Hosur checkpost(20mins) lost
Attibele toll (15mins) lost.
From Attibele-Sarjapur-Whitefield it was speedbreakers all the way.
From Hoskote turn towards airport through Buddigere and Devanahalli again a
volley of speed breakers so, on the whole lost quite a bit of running time.
Next time will try for sure the Kanakpura-Nice road-Neelmangla-Dodaballapur route.
Old 27th May 2013, 13:38   #617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Next time will try for sure the Kanakpura-Nice road-Neelmangla-Dodaballapur route.
Surely as you said. it may not be good. Even I dont know the latest conditions. But I surely hope you will save time. Time saved on tolls, traffic and within Bangalore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 08:12   #618
Senior - BHPian

I always used to take NH209 in the return trip, because if there is a road block in the ghats, i can always reverse and find my way through Mettur from Sathy. There won't be much delays in doing so.

But this is not possible when coming from Bangalore. One has to be stuck at Dhimbam, and the alternative is Gundlupet-Ooty-cbe which is time consuming as well as enervating.

Yesterday, wary of the weekend traffic in NH7, i took NH209 from CBE to Bangalore. Everything was ok until when it came to crossing Cauvery after Kollegal. There was a religious gathering at that spot and traffic was blocked for about 1 hour before the bridge. The unruliness of the 2 wheelers and of those who are restless only made the situation worse.

Finally reached NICE road junction by 19:15. Started from CBE at 12:30.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 23:25   #619
BHPian

Just completed a Bangalore-Coimbatore-Bangalore drive.

On the way to Coimbatore, noticed lot of diversion soon after Hosur all the way up to the point where the road branches off to Chennai. The work was on both the side of the road and if you are caught behind any lumbering truck, you are bound to lose a lot of time.

The most annoying part is that you need to pay the user fee (toll tax) for this stretch too! Wonder how government allows the guys to fleece you even when the road work is still in progess.

Avinashi-Coimbatore road work seems to set for eternity. In fact, there is no work happening. Looks like there is some issue. Even though the diversions are quite drivable, almost each diversion has got a speedbreaker, unmarked, right on top of every under construction culvert/bridge.
Old 10th September 2013, 23:32   #620
BHPian

I travelled by NH 209 last week to palakkad via coimbatore. The road condition is just awesome. Except for a very small stretch in kollegal where the road narrows a bit while passing through the villages. The route was Bangalore -->Kanakpura-->Kollegal-->Chamrajnagar-->Dimbam-->Sathyamanagalam-->Coimbatore-->Palakkad
Old 11th September 2013, 19:43   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Just completed a Bangalore-Coimbatore-Bangalore drive.

On the way to Coimbatore, noticed lot of diversion soon after Hosur all the way up to the point where the road branches off to Chennai. The work was on both the side of the road and if you are caught behind any lumbering truck, you are bound to lose a lot of time.

Avinashi-Coimbatore road work seems to set for eternity. In fact, there is no work happening.
Precisely the reason why you should try the Kanakapura-Dimbam route.

Did a trip to Coimbatore last weekend. Onward was through Kanakapura and return was through Salem as a friend of mine joined at Perundurai. Onward took 7.30 hours with a Tea break and dinner break of 1 hour together. Return took 7.30 hours with a Tea break and dinner break of 1 hour.

So as you see, they both take the same time. I find Kanakapura road more peaceful to drive on as it is a scenic and sedate drive and you don't have to encounter the mad rush between Hosur-Krishnagiri and the toll booths.

The only deterrent in the Kanakapura route is that Sathyamangalam-Coimbatore could be irritating depending upon the time of travel.
luvurride is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 21:40   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Precisely the reason why you should try the Kanakapura-Dimbam route.
Would have taken this route but for the fact that I was passing through Bangalore around 12.30 am. I do not think taking the Dimbam route at such an unearthly hour would be a wise decision.
Old 12th September 2013, 22:19   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would have taken this route but for the fact that I was passing through Bangalore around 12.30 am. I do not think taking the Dimbam route at such an unearthly hour would be a wise decision.
A good decision. Its always good to take the 4-lane where ever possible for a night drive. Likelihood of getting support if needed on a 4-lane is higher.
Old 13th September 2013, 17:15   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly a wise decision.

In my last trip, after descending the ghats, I stopped just after Bannari to take a leak when my 4 year old spotted a snake and alerted me on time! This was at around 9pm!
Old 13th September 2013, 18:39   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Certainly a wise decision.

In my last trip, after descending the ghats, I stopped just after Bannari to take a leak when my 4 year old spotted a snake and alerted me on time! This was at around 9pm!
You might have used his loo, I suppose. Jokes apart, it is better to avoid forest route after sunset for fear of animal disturbances (and our disturbances to animal!). By the way, is Dimbam Ghat open for traffic during night?
Old 13th September 2013, 18:55   #626
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
You might have used his loo, I suppose. Jokes apart, it is better to avoid forest route after sunset for fear of animal disturbances (and our disturbances to animal!). By the way, is Dimbam Ghat open for traffic during night?
Dimbam has no night restriction. But still its not worth driving through these narrow hairpins at night.
Old 19th September 2013, 23:08   #627
Senior - BHPian

Guys, which route is recommended for an early morning start from Bangalore to CBE on Saturday?

And return from CBE to BLR by Sunday afternoon?
Old 20th September 2013, 09:35   #628
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Guys, which route is recommended for an early morning start from Bangalore to CBE on Saturday?
My personal preference is Bangalore>Chamarajanagar>Dhimbam>Sathyamangalam>Ko vai route. We used to leave at 4 am and reach Kovai at 9:30 am including a break at Bannari Mariamman temple. Please note that road-side facilities are very few. It's a beatiful and scenic 2-lane NH 209 with good tarmac.
  (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 10:16   #629
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Ravi sir, I reckon the traffic is also better and there are no tolls too on this route.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 10:33   #630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Please note that road-side facilities are very few. It's a beatiful and scenic 2-lane NH 209 with good tarmac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Thank you Ravi sir, I reckon the traffic is also better and there are no tolls too on this route.
Chamarajamagar has a very good hotel. Nijaguna Residency(here)

And its very close the highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks