Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 13:28   #601
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My friend decided on Annapoorna@RS Puram (DB Road). However, the surprise was that when he reached there found that they don't have any parking facility inside the campus (last I remember they had a basement parking but that was more than 10 yrs ago when I last stayed there!).
They do have a closed parking facility diagonally opposite to the basement.

@NPV - If your friend is planning to proceed to Palakkad directly from Thondamuthur, ask him to take Thondamuthur - Madhampatty - Perur(turn right just before entering) - Kovaipudhur - NH47. Road is very good all the way till NH47 with very less traffic.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 22:37   #602
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
They do have a closed parking facility diagonally opposite to the basement.
Will ask my friend about this (not sure if the hotel folks informed him or he was not happy with it), but he stayed at another hotel.

Quote:
@NPV - If your friend is planning to proceed to Palakkad directly from Thondamuthur, ask him to take Thondamuthur - Madhampatty - Perur(turn right just before entering) - Kovaipudhur - NH47. Road is very good all the way till NH47 with very less traffic.
My friend has already reached Alappuzha and I don't know if took this route.

Madhampatty is going further from Thondamuthur or coming back towards Vadavalli, Agricultural college direction ? Also, where does one reach Kovaipudhur on this route? (I'm familiar with the Ukkadam-Kovaipudhur-NH47 route).

Thanks for this tip, I will definitely try this myself on my next trip, in fact I missed asking this in the earlier post

Last edited by NPV : 31st March 2013 at 22:41.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 13:16   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Madhampatty is going further from Thondamuthur or coming back towards Vadavalli, Agricultural college direction ? Also, where does one reach Kovaipudhur on this route? (I'm familiar with the Ukkadam-Kovaipudhur-NH47 route).

Thanks for this tip, I will definitely try this myself on my next trip, in fact I missed asking this in the earlier post
Madhampatty is on Coimbatore-Perur-Siruvani road. It's opposite to Vadavalli direction. From Thondamuthur you need to take a right turn from Vadavalli road to reach Madhampatty, It's around 4 Kms from Thondamuthur. Kovaipudhur can be reached from Perur. It's about 5-6 KMs from Perur. Finally Thondamuthur - Madhampatty - Perur - Kovaipudhur road joins Ukkadam - NH 47 at Kovaipudhur Pirivu (Jn.)

If you proceed further on the Perur road without turning right for Kovaipudhur, you can reach Ukkadam bus stand. These two are the best roads to reach Perur / Thondamuthur / Isha Yoga / Karunya / Siruvani from southern parts of Coimbatore.

http://goo.gl/maps/nLz29
Old 1st April 2013, 20:20   #604
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
Madhampatty is on Coimbatore-Perur-Siruvani road. It's opposite to Vadavalli direction. From Thondamuthur you need to take a right turn from Vadavalli road to reach Madhampatty, It's around 4 Kms from Thondamuthur. Kovaipudhur can be reached from Perur. It's about 5-6 KMs from Perur. Finally Thondamuthur - Madhampatty - Perur - Kovaipudhur road joins Ukkadam - NH 47 at Kovaipudhur Pirivu (Jn.)
So, if I understood it correctly, the route from Perur can reach Kovai Pudur directly and then we can proceed out of Kovai Pudur to the Pirivu (Jn.) and reach near Krishna Engg. college (hope I got it right).

From here it is the Old Palakkad highway so turn right and go towards Madukkarai and then reach near the end of NH47 bypass, turn right again to go towards Walayar, correct ?

Last edited by NPV : 1st April 2013 at 20:22.
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:24   #605
BHPian

Quote:
So, if I understood it correctly, the route from Perur can reach Kovai Pudur directly and then we can proceed out of Kovai Pudur to the Pirivu (Jn.) and reach near Krishna Engg. college (hope I got it right).

From here it is the Old Palakkad highway so turn right and go towards Madukkarai and then reach near the end of NH47 bypass, turn right again to go towards Walayar, correct ?
Yes, absolutely right . Accident prone Kovaipudhur Jn. has been widened with awkwardly placed pre-fabricated concrete blocks median. Moreover, no signboards placed for their presence.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:50   #606
BHPian

Bangalore - Coimbatore - which route?

I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Coimbatore on the 1st / 2nd of June with my family and my white stallion (Scorpio). Which is the best route to take -

1. Hosur - Salem - Erode - Cbe or
2. Hosur - Thoppur - Mettur - Sathy - Cbe or
3. Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Sathy - Cbe?

How long does it take by each of these routes and how is the road condition? I know that option 3 is the most scenic of the three.

Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:55   #607
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Coimbatore - which route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
How long does it take by each of these routes and how is the road condition? I know that option 3 is the most scenic of the three.
A big thread on this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ip-update.html

Last edited by ampere : 23rd May 2013 at 11:58.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:56   #608
J.Ravi

Quote:
I know that option 3 is the most scenic of the three.
I love to drive to and fro Kovai by the third option. The two lane NH is very good. During my last trip, I left my Basaveswara Nagar home by 4 am and reached Hotel Annapoorna, near Ramakrishna Hospital, Kovai, by 9:30 am for breakfast with many photographic breaks and visit to Bannari Mariamman temple en route.

Old 23rd May 2013, 12:06   #609
BHPian

Bangalore-Hosur-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore would be the quickest. From electronics city, you should be able to do it in about 5 hours in the scorpio.

The other routes are mostly 2 lane highways with lots of traffic and a few ghat sections. I personally prefer the route I mentioned in the beginning.

If you want to have some fun you can try Bangalore-mysore-bandipur-masinagudi-ooty-mettupalayam-coimbatore. This will be tedious, but fun. Would take about 7 to 8 hours.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:10   #610
BHPian

Stick to route 1 (Hosur - Salem - Erode - Coimbatore). This is the road most frequented and the roads are nice.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:23   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Coimbatore on the 1st / 2nd of June with my family and my white stallion (Scorpio). Which is the best route to take -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
The other routes are mostly 2 lane highways with lots of traffic and a few ghat sections.
Option (3) is my preferred route. It is two-laned all right and has a ghats section, but not at all a "lots of traffic" route except for the last stretch between Annur and Coimbatore. On this route You should be able to reach Coimbatore from Bangalore outskirts in under 5 hours. (I typically take around 4 hrs 15 minutes till Annur and turn off to Karumathampatty from there. The remaining 30 odd kms to CBE should be doable in under 45 mins I'd think)

Option (1) would probably be the fastest in terms of average speed, but will probaly take you the same amount of time since the distance is about 30 kms more. Plus you would incur an additional expense of around Rs 300 (?) in tolls.

No idea about the current state of the Option (2) route, but I suspect it may be the one that is the slowest in terms of time.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:14   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan

Thanks.
I tried all three routes during last one month. My take on these routes:

1. Fastest route. Be ready to shell out toll expenses and possible delay at toll booths depending on time of travel. Many food options and assistance available enroute.

2. Road surface mostly in good condition but traffic at small towns would be heavy. Should be slowest among three.

3. I also prefer this road now a days. Though there are few narrow stretches/towns, its ideal for speeds 80-100. Food options are limited. Scenic among others with a hairpin ghat section.

I personally feel that 1st and 3rd options should take more or less same time for those who stick onto above speed range.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:20   #613
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I tried all three routes during last one month. My take on these routes:

1. Fastest route. Be ready to shell out toll expenses and possible delay at toll booths depending on time of travel. Many food options and assistance available enroute.

2. Road surface mostly in good condition but traffic at small towns would be heavy. Should be slowest among three.

3. I also prefer this road now a days. Though there are few narrow stretches/towns, its ideal for speeds 80-100. Food options are limited. Scenic among others with a hairpin ghat section.

I personally feel that 1st and 3rd options should take more or less same time for those who stick onto above speed range.
Totally agree with coolclouds assessment.

Though my personal preference is NH209 (option 3), since you are going with family, better take option-1 mainly due to food availability options.

Also, depending on the time you leave the city (either CBE/BLR), you can try the both the options one in each direction, if possible.

When i travelled in February, it took me about 5 hours in my i20 via NH209.
However, it terms of FE, NH209 was best, as you drive at 80-100 KMPH speed most of the time plus no tolls to pay.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 24th May 2013 at 13:22.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 11:43   #614
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Coimbatore this weekend from Hyderabad.
The road conditions have improved between Hosur-Krishnagiri. The only bottleneck I
encountered was at the Hosur checkpost where a flyover is being constructed was
stranded for about 15mins at around 12.30am and on the way back in the evening 8.30pm for about 20mins.The roads between Changapalli-Avinashi is also better.Did not take the Avinashi bypass as went through Annur.
Old 27th May 2013, 12:01   #615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I had been to Coimbatore this weekend from Hyderabad.
You should try NH209/Kanapura-Nice-Doddaballapur.
Not sure you might even have tried! If yes, did you see any time improvements?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks