Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2023, 18:49   #1411
BHPian

Re: Query: NICE Road - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat123 View Post
Hi

I am confused if I took the wrong route as we were charged Rs 540 from Ambalipura, Harlur Road Bengaluru to Ramnagara (Mysore express highway) for a 60 KM stretch including same-day return. Or this is expected?
The toll charges are right, but maybe not justified. Please note that you have used two not so normal roads. First being Nice Road, which is not under NHAI. They have been absurdly charging high rates as compared to even NHAI maintained expressways. Second one (Bangalore - Mysore) is an expressway under NHAI. As far as i know all over India toll rates are higher on expressways than normal highways maintained by NHAI. In no way I'm justifying these rates but not sure we can do anything. I used to keep a log of toll rates on highways way back in 2017. At that time national highways used to charge Rs. 1.07 per km on an average (still excluding special roads like expressway or Nice road). My recent calculations says that it is upto Rs. 1.80 / km. I may be wrong here because our highways still do not charge based on per km usage but based on which toll booths you have crossed. There are multiple factors here based on your usage like how many times in a calendar day you have crossed that toll booth etc. But it gives a hint on how the rates have increased over last 5 to 6 years.

On a lighter note when we first moved to Bangalore a decade back my son used to say Nice road is very Nice. Now he says there is nothing Nice on Nice road.
SamDiablo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 23:24   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
but the toll charges are right. I don't see how you can avoid the same unless you brave through the city traffic to avoid NICE and then take the service road at Kumbalgodu and get stuck in Mysore road traffic before joining the Expressway beyond Bidadi.

I just paid the same + 2× 155 at gananguru for a 30 hour trip to mysore
Now at least I am sure that I am not doing anything wrong(routes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDiablo View Post
But it gives a hint on how the rates have increased over last 5 to 6 years.

On a lighter note when we first moved to Bangalore a decade back my son used to say Nice road is very Nice. Now he says there is nothing Nice on Nice road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDiablo View Post
There are multiple factors here based on your usage like how many times in a calendar day you have crossed that toll booth etc. But it gives a hint on how the rates have increased over last 5 to 6 years.

Definitely "Nice" when it helps bypass loads of traffic
But agree that toll rates have increased to an extent in the last few years that we are even discussing it.
Old 1st July 2024, 13:22   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian

July 1st is here and NICE road has implemented it's annual price increase.

THE COSTLIEST TOLL ROAD OF THE COUNTRY GOT EVEN MORE COSTLIER

I don't have the entire list but the price increase is at an average of a straggering 15% to 20%.
The per km toll for this road is now close to ₹7
hemanth.anand is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 08:41   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, have a Coorg run coming up this month, and Google suggesting NICE - BME - MYS. Unfortunately, cannot start before ~1400 from Yelahanka due to various commitments.

My queries w.r.t. the NICE (Tumkur Rd to Mysore Rd) at ~1530 on a Friday:
  1. Road surface and roadworks (if any)?
  2. Overall traffic congestion in this stretch?
  3. Congestion at the tollbooths and/or entry/exits?
Return will be on a dreaded Sunday afternoon, but will aim to hit the NICE (Mysore Rd to Tumkur Rd) at ~1500. What can I expect then?

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd July 2024 at 08:53.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 09:40   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My queries w.r.t. the NICE (Tumkur Rd to Mysore Rd) at ~1530 on a Friday:
  1. Road surface and roadworks (if any)?
  2. Overall traffic congestion in this stretch?
  3. Congestion at the tollbooths and/or entry/exits?
Return will be on a dreaded Sunday afternoon, but will aim to hit the NICE (Mysore Rd to Tumkur Rd) at ~1500. What can I expect then?
I think the white topping of NICE road is now complete; so that part should be OK. NICE road sees quite heavy traffic 24x7; but it moves at a decent clip. You should be able to cover it with an average of 50-60 kmph with normal driving and ~70 kmph with Bangalore driving (ie, weaving through lanes, driving on shoulder etc.).

I usually enter Mysore Road from the Hosur Road side; the entry toll booth is often empty - at max 1-2 vehicles. My guess is that more vehicles go into Kengeri/the city from NICE than towards Mysore at that interchange.

3 PM on Sunday should be similar. But I guess Tumkur Road itself is going to be the big problem for you? The small section between end of expressway and on ramp of NICE sometimes sees some pileup but nothing to really worry about.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 09:57   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

I don't have the entire list but the price increase is at an average of a straggering 15% to 20%.
Do you have the revised toll fare chart?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 10:02   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Mysore Road to Bannerghatta Road costed me ₹110 yesterday. Earlier it was ₹95.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 18:39   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Do you have the revised toll fare chart?
Here you go.

Query: NICE Road - Bangalore-20240702_173616.jpg

Below is how the breakdown of the ridiculously high pricing looks like for a car travelling from Hosur road

To Bhannerughatta road: 8.74kms ₹60 which is ₹6.86/km
To Kanakapura road: 15.53kms ₹105 which is ₹6.76/km
To Clover leaf Jn.: 19.89kms ₹140 which is ₹7.04/km
To Mysuru road: 23.77kms ₹170 which is ₹7.15/km
To Magadi road: 33.32kms ₹235 which is ₹7.05/km
To Tumakuru road: 40.8kms ₹285 which is ₹6.98/km
To ORR PESIT jn.: 27.99kms ₹210 which is ₹7.50/km

Toll for just the link road section (Clover leaf Jn. To ORR PESIT jn.) is even more ridiculous...
8.1kms ₹70 which is ₹8.64/km

In comparison, some of the recent Expressways that I travelled on (The Yamuna expressway, Bundhelkhand Expressway, Agra-Lucknow Expressway, Hyderabad ring road) all cost around ₹2/km! Other National Highways cost around ₹1.5/km!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 2nd July 2024 at 19:05.
hemanth.anand is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 19:04   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Till when will the road be under Nice management? I remember reading a long time ago that there is a contract between the government and Nice. After the contract it will be handed over to NHAI.

Absolutely ridiculous price of toll! I wonder why the price per km increases when the distance increases?! Cannot think of any rational for this!
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 12:13   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
To Bhannerughatta road: 8.74kms ₹60 which is ₹6.86/km
To Kanakapura road: 15.53kms ₹105 which is ₹6.76/km
To Clover leaf Jn.: 19.89kms ₹140 which is ₹7.04/km
To Mysuru road: 23.77kms ₹170 which is ₹7.15/km
To Magadi road: 33.32kms ₹235 which is ₹7.05/km
To Tumakuru road: 40.8kms ₹285 which is ₹6.98/km
To ORR PESIT jn.: 27.99kms ₹210 which is ₹7.50/km
I travel on nice road 5 days a week on average. The e city to Mysore road toll used to cost 145, so 290 a day. Now it costs 340/day. 50 rs more/day which translates to 250 a week and 1000 rs/month. This along with the fuel cost increase of around 700 a month, will set me back 1700 /month. Have to slightly change my finances. Any idea if there is a monthly pass on nice road ?
Raghuwire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 13:01   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Till when will the road be under Nice management? I remember reading a long time ago that there is a contract between the government and Nice. After the contract it will be handed over to NHAI.

Absolutely ridiculous price of toll! I wonder why the price per km increases when the distance increases?! Cannot think of any rational for this!
I recall reading Nandi infra has rights until 2037. Not sure what is the plan beyond that but another 12-13 years to loot people.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 13:39   #1422
BHPian

I started taking the NICE road between Hosakerehalli to Sompura (Clover leaf) regularly from 2017. It was Rs.35 then. As of July 1, it's double that. Now that it's Fastag'd the cost increases fail to register compared to earlier -- only when I got an SMS saying Rs.70 got deducted did I realize the fare hike.

Earlier, you could only pay cash. There used to be issues if you paid 50, the toll operator would give you a 10 and 5 candies. A friend once got that in the morning and on return, he had 3x10s and the same 5 candies to the bewilderment of the toll operator. All I can say is it was a fun exchange between the two.
amavin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 14:12   #1423
HTC
BHPian

NICE road is a necessary evil for Bangloreans. There is no other road which will help you bypass the crazy city traffic other than NICE road. Ring roads in bangalore are a joke. Allowing all sort of businesses to openup on either side of ring roads defeats the basic purpose of allowing quick transit from one area to another with least traffic.

During early mornings, Late nights and non festival days- NICE road is a boon to get out of and get in to the city with ease and safe aswell. This justifies the fuel and time saved by avoiding chaoatic traffic within the city. I take the NICE road from Kanakapura road till mysore road. At Mysore road exit, there will be cops stopping NICE road exiting vehicles from merging into mysore road towards express way. This is causing pile up at the exit toll. And genious NICE road staff are asking drivers to take the mysore road exit towards Kengeri and go some distance towards the city, then take U-turn and join the express way. This as per me is a dumb thing as you travel more distance and most of the time there is equal traffic on Mysore road aswell. Worst part, once you enter NICE, there is no turning back. you have to get to the next exit what so ever.

These days, I am checking the google maps for traffice and taking alternate routes to join mysore road.
HTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 16:41   #1424
BHPian

Quote:

The per KM rate for the new Atal Setu is close to 10/KM.
And it is used by a very small sect of people staying in Mumbai, Basically a vanity project. Not that I'm complaining. Helps me in avoiding Bombay to reach Chembur. But that doesnt mean it is not a vanity project. NICE atleaset serves a purpose of being a regular persons road. Used daily.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 17:03   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amavin View Post

Earlier, you could only pay cash. There used to be issues if you paid 50, the toll operator would give you a 10 and 5 candies. A friend once got that in the morning and on return, he had 3x10s and the same 5 candies to the bewilderment of the toll operator. All I can say is it was a fun exchange between the two.
LOL. I remember the candies. Even I used to collect 5 and hand it over to the toll operator as fare! They used to use Kopiko candy as parallel currency!

https://www.amazon.in/Kopiko-Origina.../dp/B003CJ70SQ
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks